Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Godiva closing down all its stores in North America

Just as Valentines Day approaches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 28, 2021 4:55 AM

How many stores did they have? I like Sees better, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2021 9:35 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2021 9:38 PM

So, they'll still sell online?

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2021 9:40 PM

See's is better, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2021 9:41 PM

šŸ˜­

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2021 9:41 PM

I'm devastated. NOT.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2021 9:43 PM

Available at food and drug stores.... remember when it was only available at Neiman Marcus?

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2021 9:43 PM

Seeā€™s is not better, unless you like one note sweetness and American-grade chocolate. Godiva stores were a nice mini-luxury that I will miss.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2021 9:44 PM

I donā€™t know how they lasted this long.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2021 9:44 PM

Good thing I can get it at Dollar Tree now!

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2021 9:44 PM

Miss R8 has put her pump down.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2021 9:45 PM

Godiva > Sees by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2021 9:46 PM

Seeā€™s Candiesā€™ chocolate butterchews beat Godiva anything

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2021 9:46 PM

See's has great peanut brittle (probably the best in the country), but their chocolate is not as good.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2021 9:48 PM

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2021 9:48 PM

I tried See's chocolates a couple of years ago, after reading the Datalounge raves, and found them to be perfectly ordinary. I haven't eaten anything from Godiva in a longer time than that, but I remember liking them more than I liked See's.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2021 9:49 PM

It's fucking chocolate, get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2021 9:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2021 9:50 PM

As long as they donā€™t close by Dippin Dots!

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2021 9:50 PM

Not at all, r15.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2021 9:50 PM

fuck yall cunts

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2021 9:51 PM

R17 can't set a proper table either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2021 9:52 PM

Hershey 's tastes like chocolate, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2021 9:52 PM

R23 I like Hersheyā€™s but not when it comes out of my hookups...

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2021 9:55 PM

I have never once felt compelled to go in a Godiva. Good chocolate is so readily available in grocery stores, I never understood the point.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2021 9:55 PM

[quote]Good chocolate is so readily available in grocery stores

Not in the United States, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2021 9:56 PM

R26 thatā€™s right. In America we donā€™t eat chocolate to enjoy it, we eat it to get fat!

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2021 9:58 PM

Godiva tastes waxy with no taste . I prefer Sees as well. I like Neuhaus and Maison Du Chocolat for European store bought. Funny, I do like my Sees over all the Sablon Brussels chocolate shops.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2021 9:59 PM

Itā€™s funny to watch once luxury brands go downmarket then die.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2021 10:01 PM

Peterbrooke in N. Fl is worlds better than Godiva. Hella expensive too.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2021 10:02 PM

Godiva, like a lot of businesses that have been bought and sold a few times, is past its prime. Besides this, they got out of the brick and mortar business beforeā€”just a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2021 10:03 PM

I worked at Neuhaus at NorthPark in Dallas for an afternoon and walked out at the end of my shift.

The owner was a very mean man.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2021 10:13 PM

Their products will still be available in other stores and online, so this isn't a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2021 10:14 PM

While I never buy Godiva for myself but often buy them as gifts. People love them. There was one in Grand Central Terminal in NY that is now gone. I bet the ones on 7th Avenue, by Herald Square Macy's and on Lexington have closed too.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2021 10:15 PM

[quote]The owner was a very mean man.

King Leopold didn't exactly coddle the Congo.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2021 10:16 PM

Littlejohn's in SF and LA is also really good. Their toffee and bark, OMFG.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2021 10:18 PM

Godiva quality was devalued during the various sales. It is Belgian in marketing name only.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] I worked at Neuhaus at NorthPark in Dallas for an afternoon and walked out at the end of my shift.

This you, R32?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2021 10:26 PM

If there was a Godiva vs. Sees cage death match, I have to admit I'd choose Sees.

But I'm actually surprised, you'd think the chocolate market would have been booming during the last year.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2021 11:01 PM

Godiva is both overpriced and overrated. Give me a box of Russell Stover and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2021 11:10 PM

R29 thatā€™s true. I remember when Godiva was really the shit. Then brands like Neuhaus and Maison de Chocolate made Godiva seem much more mid-market in comparison (still better than shit like Sees, Russell Stover, and Ferraro Rocher however).

I still really like it though ā€” I think as far as stuffed white chocolate flavors go (no, Iā€™m not into dark chocolate, which I know is ā€œso unsophisticatedā€), they were still the best. It was always a reliable place to get a couple little things to hold you over at the mall. So Iā€™m sad.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote]See's is better, trust me.

FAR better, and less expensive to boot.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote] Give me a box of Russell Stover and call it a day.

How many times have I said THAT very phrase after dinner?

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2021 11:30 PM

Gross, r40.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2021 11:33 PM

I like the Godiva packaging (gold). You can still buy some Godiva products at Macy's.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2021 11:36 PM

Godiva is gross! How vulgar.

If you want good chocolate head to Southern California and buy from independent stores.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2021 11:38 PM

Once upon a time, Godiva chocolates were made in Europe and imported as a luxury item to the US. Then the brand was bought by Hersheys and it became nothing more than expensive Hershey bars. It's a brand name that has retained a persona of luxury, but really offers products that are no better than average. You can buy significantly better chocolate in most American grocery stores -they carry many European brands that are quite good.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2021 12:41 AM

I prefer Sees as well.

But what I really like are Glacier, Jacques Torres, Li-Lac, Neuhause, and La Maison du chocolate

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2021 12:52 AM

As a Swiss, I prefer Toblerone.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2021 1:01 AM

Whitman's chocolate is the best.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2021 1:10 AM

In the early seventies there was a big selection at a high end dept store in Montgomery mall in Potomac MD where I lived as a kid. My mon would let us pick out some for the big gold boxes in December and my brothers and I got one each after dinner...I agree the quality went down and years ago the had valentines big boxes at Walmart (I was skiing in ID and there isnā€™t a lot of stores to shop.) if you are in Seattle Frans is superior to both Godiva and Sees and the Obamas get it mail order after discovering it on the campaign trail. It is real Belgian high end.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2021 1:16 AM

These days I just order chocolates from Fortnum and Mason in London and have it delivered.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2021 1:18 AM

Godiva to 'shut down'.

So why not say 'to shut', rather than 'shuttered'?

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2021 1:20 AM

All the fat whores are in mourning

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2021 1:22 AM

r47 Hershey's never had anything to do with Godiva. It was owned for decades by Campbell's Soup. In 2007 it was sold to its present owners, a Turkish company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2021 1:25 AM

You poor, poor bitches and your low rent candy.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2021 1:29 AM

Now, the rest of you know how it felt to lose Fannie May. You can pretend one chocolate is better than another, but you always remember your first.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2021 1:37 AM

I'm not surprised at all.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2021 1:41 AM

Seeā€™s all the way for me! It knows its place and doesnā€™t try to act all uppity like Godiva does. Godiva is nothing more than a mall chocolate store (like Seeā€™s) with overpriced crap that you could buy at any downmarket Macyā€™s. Plus Seeā€™s is generous with the free samples.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2021 2:01 AM

My friend was in a play with Derek Jacobi, and some backstage visitor brought him an ENORMOUS, multi tiered box of assorted Godiva chocolates. Probably not wanting to die of a clogged artery during the run of a show, he gave it to my friend.

As a working actress she wasnā€™t about to down about 15 lbs. of chocolate, so she sampled a few then quickly gave them to me. I was young and slim, and worked through them over the course of a week.

Such are my brushes with greatness.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2021 2:11 AM

R60, there is a gay game of ā€œSix Degrees Of Derek Jacobiā€ and you made it and thatā€™s cool.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2021 2:16 AM

Oh well, I prefer M&Ms anyway.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2021 2:19 AM

Is Norman Love still around? I remember liking his shop in FL near the Ft Myers/ Naples airport, but it's been many years. I prefer to shop local versus Godiva, but it does make me sad to see something once so successful start to fold.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2021 2:20 AM

I used to work for a choclatier in Napa; we co-maned for may luxury brands. Often times chocolate was handpicked at first, Hershey went through a phase where they started buying up small chocolatiers one by one and converting them from cocoa butter to palm oil. That's why Hershey chocolates have that faint scent of vomit, and if you don't believe me, go smell one. We would stop producing from them when they went the cheap route. The saddest buy out was Scharffen Burger which now tastes of Hershey. Though it's been over a decade, I am still very spoiled when it comes to chocolate and prefer to buy chef blocks online then melt and temper my own stead of buying the bars. My favorite chocolate was Guittard 48% they did a limited run of. God, it was so good.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2021 2:23 AM

It used to be very exclusive and sold at high end stores only then they full corporate & opened stores in every major mall in America next to Hot Topics and Wet Seals and it lost its cache.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2021 2:23 AM

r4 See's tastes like middle America. Very low quality chocolate, and while I understand rustic appeal, See's chocolates look like little cat turds.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2021 2:24 AM

R40: Russell Stover is utter crap.

Godiva used to get most of its sales from upper middle brow department stores.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2021 2:24 AM

Also, both Sees and Godiva co-man with several factories, so your enjoyment is going to be depending on the individual chocolate type and which facility produced it. It's very possible to get the same chocolate at both shops. You can get to know the brands after a while; almost all of them are Cargill but the good ones use Callebaut, mid to upper teir also includes Blommer. You'll find all three at both shops, and they'll usually be priced and marketed accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2021 2:27 AM

Godiva tastes like wax. The best chocolate is always going to come from small artisanal brands.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2021 2:27 AM

R63 Yes, there are still Norman Love chocolates in FL! Other nice fancy/ niche chocolates: out of Oregon is Moonstruck, Mariebelle in NYC, and Hedonist in Rochester NY has the best dark chocolate, IMO. R64 I didn't realize Scharffen Burger was bought out by Hershey. That sucks.

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2021 2:29 AM

R64, what luxury brand do you consider high quality?

by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2021 2:31 AM

There are so many better independently owned chocolatierias in almost every city. Why buy chain crap?

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2021 2:32 AM

I had some once. I was expecting a sort of otherworldly experience. Maybe my palate is just unrefined, but it tasted similar to Hershey's.

by Anonymousreply 73January 25, 2021 2:33 AM

In the 70s Godiva had a store on 5th Avenue and was sold no where else in the city. It was considered very upscale way back then.

BTW: It's a Turkish owned company now.

by Anonymousreply 74January 25, 2021 2:33 AM

I'm not a connoisseur, but I can tell you I always thought Godiva was overrated.

I desperately want to try See's though. My #1 Cher worked there in the 1960s, and she loves it. So, if it's good enough for her, it's definitely good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 75January 25, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote] I tried See's chocolates a couple of years ago, after reading the Datalounge raves, and found them to be perfectly ordinary

Ugh, I bought some, too based on Datalounge raves. I found some of them to be so awful I spit them out & tossed them. That divinity crap tastes like something fraus in flyoverstan would orgasm over, like they do with that crappy ambrosia slosh.

by Anonymousreply 76January 25, 2021 2:34 AM

R64 Love Guittard ā€“ their 70% cacao for baking, specifically. Looks like they have a 45% "Soleil"now which may be similar to the one you liked.

by Anonymousreply 77January 25, 2021 2:36 AM

May I add that the chocolate I have purchased at outlet stores has sucked regardless of brand because it is old. I wonā€™t try several brands because Fileneā€™s sold me brown chalk.

by Anonymousreply 78January 25, 2021 2:38 AM

I'm a Lindt man, and you can buy Lindt in grocery stores in Oregon..

by Anonymousreply 79January 25, 2021 2:40 AM

Anyone remember Brachs chocolates? They always tasted stale. I think they mostly make jelly beans & candy corn now.

I remember Lofts was a chocolate store years ago but canā€™t remember what the chocolate tasted like.

by Anonymousreply 80January 25, 2021 2:45 AM

Ritter, a German brand, makes a decent mid-level bar you can get at many grocery stores in the Northeast.

by Anonymousreply 81January 25, 2021 2:49 AM

[R70] At least one of those uses Callebaut, interesting story about them I can't really tell you but they are delicious.

[R71] I'd say Guittard, Ritter, Hammond's if you like novelty flavors; more widely available, Cost Plus World Market has a good line. R70 had a good list. Our in house brand was Le Belge and was always made with the best but they're really about the truffles. Look more for collections than brands, always avoid palm oil. A limited run collection will usually be made with specially picked chocolate while the standard run will be from one of the three suppliers mentioned. The best thing about it is even you end up with Cargill it's still delicious. Packaging is also a good give away; the carton or cardboard box usually has more expensive chocolate although it's not always the case. That's bars though. With truffles, anything goes. If you want chocolate for a fondue party or for baking at home buy direct from a baker supply store, they all have Callebaut there, Blommer if you're cheap.

I could talk about chocolate all day.

by Anonymousreply 82January 25, 2021 3:14 AM

You can find perfectly good chocolate at Aldiā€™s.

by Anonymousreply 83January 25, 2021 3:19 AM

Fun fact: Laurence Guittard from the original cast of "A Little Night Music" is of the Guittard family of chocolatiers.

by Anonymousreply 84January 25, 2021 3:20 AM

Godiva is mass produced and nothing special at all. The company does not need stores. They can sell it at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 85January 25, 2021 3:22 AM

Both See's and Godiva are not that great. Some, but not all, of the chocolate sold by Aldi's is good -- much less sweet than typical US brands. Neuhaus is good Belgian chocolate (10x better than Godiva). One regional brand I really like is Esther Price made in Dayton, OH (of all places). You can order it online.

by Anonymousreply 86January 25, 2021 3:27 AM

More jobs lost.

by Anonymousreply 87January 25, 2021 3:29 AM

We will hit peak cocoa. The population is still exploding and the resources are shrinking. Every time an oppressed child makes a shoe, the chances that individual will purchase chocolate goes up. Itā€™s math or something.

by Anonymousreply 88January 25, 2021 3:53 AM

The only really good chocolate in America is from La Maison du Chocolate.

But it costs a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 89January 25, 2021 3:54 AM

Girls, Girls, you are both chocolate Cunts.

Godiva had better chocolate shells, See's had better tasting fillings.

by Anonymousreply 90January 25, 2021 4:32 AM

Fun Fact: Milk Chocolate was invented in America only to cut the cost of actual chocolate so it could be sold the the masses. Lots of milk and some wax for shiny mold release.

by Anonymousreply 91January 25, 2021 4:38 AM

Turkey's economy is particularly bad. Turkish owner.

by Anonymousreply 92January 25, 2021 4:48 AM

NOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK I HATE MY LIFE BAD THINGS JUST WON'T STOP HAPPENING TO ME

by Anonymousreply 93January 25, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote]and it lost its cache.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 94January 25, 2021 5:00 AM

i liked Godiva chocolates. Last time i had them was probably 5 or 6 years ago. When were they bought out by the Turkish? I tried See's once. It was ok, like a step above Russell Stover. Trader Joe's has pretty good belgian chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 95January 25, 2021 5:05 AM

the best is Andre's Confiserie Suisse in Kansas City.!

by Anonymousreply 96January 25, 2021 5:08 AM

Austrian chocolate doesn't get its due. Mozartkugeln, Schoegotten, and this one are all quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 25, 2021 10:42 AM

R96, nothing that is 'the best' can be found in Kansas City.

Teuscher is the best. When you're in Rockefeller Center, treat yourself to a few champagne truffles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 25, 2021 2:04 PM

I hope this doesnā€™t happen to Seeā€™s. Thereā€™s one close to me that my family has gone to for years and years. It would be sad to see that go.

by Anonymousreply 99January 25, 2021 2:17 PM

If your Grand Tour includes Schenectady, you must stop at Uncle Sam's for the finest chocolate Schenectady has to offer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 25, 2021 2:23 PM

R64 and other replies. Thank you for your knowledge. As you said, "i can talk about chocolate all day", I could listen to you talk about it. Chocolate is a precious food and sadly it's been "abused" by the likes of Hershey and other mass producing confectioners.

by Anonymousreply 101January 25, 2021 2:43 PM

Their chocolate is OK but not special enough to have stores.

by Anonymousreply 102January 25, 2021 3:00 PM

[quote]Oregon is Moonstruck

I find Moonstruck to be tasteless, I won't waste the calories on it.

My favorite is Trader Joe's 100 calorie chocolate bars. I love the dark chocolate, I think it has a lot of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 103January 25, 2021 3:06 PM

I thought Godiva has been owned by Campbells for many years. The best milk chocolate NUT BARK is Jacque Torres in NYC. It's expensive but EXCELLENT. His other stuff is just ok.

by Anonymousreply 104January 25, 2021 3:08 PM

I liked Godiva. There's a tiny chocolate store in Beverly Hills called Edelweiss that has the best milk chocolate I've ever tasted, it will probably be closed too before I can get back! One of the sad things about the pandemic is that the stores that were barely hanging on pre-covid will go whether chain or mom and pop and our 'high street' will just be banks and Starbucks. I get that you can argue we don't 'need' chocolate stores or electronic stores or record shops because they are all easy to buy online but it does make the future of cities and malls kinda bleak.

by Anonymousreply 105January 25, 2021 3:17 PM

r104, see r55

by Anonymousreply 106January 25, 2021 3:34 PM

[quote] I find Moonstruck to be tasteless

Fuck you, R103.

by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2021 3:41 PM

I got hooked on Venchi Chocolates when I was in Italy I was happy when they opened a store in NYC especially during the ongoing pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 25, 2021 3:48 PM

Try Choceur chocolate, guys. Available at Aldi, I think. Made in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2021 3:52 PM

Wrong R26. Grocery stores sell excellent chocolate now. A lot of "boutique" and organic fair trade dark, dark chocolate which I love.

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2021 3:55 PM

I love See's sour candies and their various toffees, and the rest is fine but not spectacular. I'll keep buying both See's and Godiva online and just hope they don't close down for good.

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2021 3:59 PM

Whole Foods sells some excellent artisan chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2021 3:59 PM

Has anyone else ever had Wockenfuss? They are a MD chain of candy shops...their almond bark (both milk and dark) is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2021 4:05 PM

I like Godiva. Cheap but I love those Ferrer Roche hazelnut things. I can eat an entire small box in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 114January 25, 2021 4:06 PM

Yes I'm a sucker for more artisanal brands of chocolate. Maybe $7/bar is my top limit. White chocolate, milk chocolate, yeeeech.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2021 4:12 PM

As someone who moved to the US I am often bemused at those of you who claim things like US supermarkets don't stock good chocolate or US supermarkets don't have good fresh produce. It's like where do you live? I still take videos in US supermarkets to show my sister how much variety there is.

by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2021 4:42 PM

Agree with Ester Price and Aldi brand. Also Venchi and Les Chocolats de Pauline, though generally not available in the US

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2021 4:50 PM

A lot of people don't live near an actual supermarket r116, they rely on bodegas or small corner shops, especially if they don't have reliable transportation.

As someone who lived in the Midwest for decades, I can tell you we didn't get decent chocolate until very recently, and it's still mostly Theo brand or Endangered Species brand, nothing truly great. Sure, we have 900 varieties of Hershey's Kisses, but that variety doesn't translate to quality.

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2021 4:55 PM

Godiva hasnā€™t been great chocolate for years.

Neuhaus is where itā€™s at for Belgian Import chocolate

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2021 4:59 PM

Newman's Own chocolate bars are good. My favorite would be the espresso bar, even though I don't like flavored chocolates. Harder to find Newman's Own, though.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2021 5:00 PM

Call me a baby-tastes American, but I prefer milk chocolate to dark, which tastes sour to me. Is all the fancy chocolate dark? I do like Ritter but would love to expand my choices.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2021 5:03 PM

R121, I like milk chocolate as well. I like dark chocolate, but not the super-intense type. I don't consider myself a baby-taster. I eat spicy foods, raw seafood, etc.

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2021 5:21 PM

Toblerone is the best.

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2021 5:22 PM

If you like Austrian chocolate, r97, you probably like hazelnut, because most Austrian chocolate contains it (Milka is a prime example -- even the "plain" milk chocolate version contains some hazelnut).

And if you like hazelnuts, here's an Austrian specialty you should love, if you can get your hands on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2021 6:42 PM

I heard Lindt is a better quality brand than Godiva.

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2021 7:08 PM

I like Lindt, but it's very soft. There's no snap to it. Godiva does have a snap.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2021 7:12 PM

I LOVE ildefonso, R124.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2021 7:22 PM

Fat whores, despair. From now on you have to feed on Hershey's, which tastes like rancid machine oil.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2021 7:24 PM

Itā€™s been some years since I had them, but Godiva creme brĆ»lĆ©es were so good...

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2021 7:25 PM

Fat AMERICAN whores, despair. From now on you have to feast on Hershey's, which tastes like rancid machine oil.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2021 7:28 PM

Of the mass-produced variety, I like Dove.

For upscale, I go to local makers.

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2021 7:28 PM

Seattle has Theo, R131, with a Ginger dark chocolate bar. No Hersheyā€™s vomit kick.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2021 7:57 PM

I can't muster even one minuscule tear, because Godiva is waxy and overpriced for what you get. Leonidas costs about the same and is superior. Years ago, there used to be a Leonidas kiosk at the local mall and it was hard to pass it by. They're primarily online now.

Most of the selection at See's Candies are sickeningly sweet. But their version of milk chocolate turtles ("pecan buds") is AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2021 8:11 PM

The Hershey's Symphony (toffee bits & nuts) is very good, IMO. For some reason, better than the other Hershey bars. Try it sometime.

by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2021 9:47 PM

R103 Everyone has their preferences, of course. I typically went with dark so it had more flavor. They used to make very cute shapes (ice cream cones, mice, etc,) so they made for nice gifts (and most people I know prefer milk to dark anyway.)

by Anonymousreply 135January 26, 2021 12:30 AM

R134 I was just thinking about this. Symphony USED to be really good when it first appeared on the market. I hadnā€™t had one in years, then a couple years ago I bought one and I thought I tasted like a crappy regular Hersheyā€™s bar. I know, taste is subjective and all.

by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2021 12:34 PM

Godiva tastes so generic at this point

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2021 2:27 PM

Hersheys tastes like wax,

by Anonymousreply 138January 26, 2021 2:27 PM

Does anyone remember ca. 1986 Hershey's Golden Bar? It was a thick milk chocolate bar with almonds wrapped in gold foil. It was good.

by Anonymousreply 139January 28, 2021 4:46 AM

Godiva has been crap for decades. American are suckers. Cheap Swiss, Belgian, and even German supermarket chocolate tastes better than Godiva. And then it improves through the price points.

by Anonymousreply 140January 28, 2021 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!