Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Slapping in movies

I was going to post this in the Women's movement thread but I thought it merited its own.

I've noticed in movies from the seventies or so hysterical women get slapped a lot.

off the top of my head

I can think of slapping in The Birds (Tippi slaps the women in the cafe), Carrie (Betty Buckley hitting Nancy Allen), The Poseideon Adventure (Red Buttons slaps Pamela Sue Martin very lightly, he looks afraid to do it.) Oh BTW I saw Nancy Allen discussing how she gets slapped twice in Carrie. Once by John Travolta who was awkward about doing it and kept having to do retakes because he was hitting too lightly and then by Betty Buckley who had no problem giving her a full out slap and Chinatown of course.

Add some slaps.

Was it thought that slapping was cure for hysteria? It must have been. There are too many movies that do it. They must have got it from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2021 8:40 PM

Joan Crawford was Equal Opportunity when it came time to slap a bitch silly. Men, Women & Children all felt the sting of La Crawford's diamond-ringed 5 piece across their mugs when they dared to step out of line!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2021 3:37 AM

The way Nancy Allen cries after Betty hits are and says "this isn't over, this isn't over by a long shot" was sort of the way I expected Trump to leave the White House. (in tears and threatening a return.)

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2021 3:39 AM

Shut up Chris.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2021 3:44 AM

oh OP, it's so much older than the 70s. You've never seen this classic pre-code clip?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2021 3:50 AM

God, the movie Airplane had so many classic bits, including this one that played off your trope OP. I love how the doctor just gets in one more for good measure before leaving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2021 3:50 AM

It continued into the '80s wiht the slap-a-thon Mommie Dearest.

And 1990 when Cher slapped Winona Ryder in Mermaids.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2021 3:52 AM

Does Jacqueline Bisset slap Helen Hayes in Airport during the ruse to get the suitcase away from the guy? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2021 3:53 AM

and of course Cher slapping Nic Cage in Moonstruck.

Do they slap each other in that fight scene in The Turning Point?

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2021 3:54 AM

oh yes r5 thanks for that. See it must have been a very common thing if they chose to mock it in Airplane.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2021 3:58 AM

In the 40s and 50s it was quite fashionable for a man to tame an uppity woman by giving her a well deserved spanking across her well rounded derriere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2021 3:58 AM

I think Debbie Reynolds slaps another woman in The Unsinkable Molly Brown

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2021 4:01 AM

Tame that fucking shrew.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2021 4:02 AM

Steve McQueen slapped Ali McGraw in some movie. In those days, it was okay to slap a wonan in the face like that.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2021 4:03 AM

R8 I definitely remember them in an embrace hold during the fight and they are both simultaneously slapping each other’s backside and then maybe they fall?

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2021 4:03 AM

Sam slaps Diane on Cheers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2021 4:04 AM

Star Trek classic: Dr. M'Benga to the rescue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2021 4:08 AM

Star Trek was all about slapping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2021 4:10 AM

In the Netflix show “Imposters” there’s a hot slap fight between the two male leads. They also have a sexy wrestle in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2021 4:11 AM

Jean-Louis Trintignant slaps his secretary Fanny Ardant in Vivement Dimanche!, which she brushes off as if nothing.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2021 4:12 AM

Don’t forget this accidental slap that’s all the more brutal because of it in A Star Is Born (JG)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2021 4:12 AM

This is getting off-subject. The OP asked about slapping for hysteria.

Men were not allowed to slap women on-screen. The Cagney slap was pre-code and caused a scandal. The hysteria slapping scenes were a way to show how dumb and out-of-control women were, and at the same time a way to be able to depict them getting slapped (the hysteria was the excuse).

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2021 4:16 AM

Scarlet’s quite slap happy, even more so with Prissy, but after listening to that voice who didn’t want to slap Prissy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2021 4:18 AM

^^Also in old movies you can always tell if someone is a bad-guy by whether he roughs up a woman. After the Baby Boomers took over, it became "cool" to do so (Steve Mc Queen, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2021 4:18 AM

Amateurs above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2021 4:20 AM

Datalounge used to be obsessed with slapping in the early 00s. There was a troll here everyone referred to as Slappy who would ask for people to post about incidents of people getting slapped in real life, and it sort of spread from there. One poster would post stories regularly about witnessing then-regular poster David Ehrenstein being "viciously face-slapped" in upscale Santa Monica restaurants (it was funny every time).

Then there was the notorious news item about cranky cultural critic Stanley Crouch bitch-slapping much detested gay writer Dale Peck in an outdoor cafe in Manhattan over Peck's nasty review of his book, and DL went crazy.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2021 4:23 AM

Slaps on tv are even better. The latest was the Thanksgiving episode of the Conners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2021 4:32 AM

Natalie Wood isn’t quite hysterical in Rebel, but she’s acting in a way her father doesn’t like a girl too and is bothered enough to hit her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2021 4:35 AM

No comment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2021 4:35 AM

Here ya go, boys, Guy Maddin's Sissy-Boy Slap-Party, the extended Director's Cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2021 4:42 AM

God, Ann Romano was such a bitch. Somebody should have reported her to CPS.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2021 4:48 AM

What the Hell did I just watch?

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2021 4:50 AM

NO ONE could smack a bitch like Crawford!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2021 4:53 AM

Hush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2021 5:07 AM

The girls just didn't learn. Every time they tried Crawford the outcome was the same.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2021 5:18 AM

Here's a good slap scene from Sleepaway Camp. "Fuck off!" *slap*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2021 5:18 AM

Different Hush (1998) Paltrow nails Lange

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2021 5:21 AM

wow Paltrow's neck is like 2 feet long in that clip from Hush above.

(what does the Lange loon think of Hush? I have a feeling Jess isn't happy about it.)

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2021 6:01 AM

The opening scene in The Philadelphia Story where Cary Grant facepalms Katharine Hepburn. I remember when I was a kid, this scene would be played over and over again at the Oscars to celebrate funny classic scenes. After OJ killed his ex-wife, they stopped. He didn't slap her but it was still physically violent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2021 6:08 AM

You buried the lede OP

Jake Gittes and Evelyn Mulwray in Chinatown is THE slapping scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2021 6:41 AM

I just saw Barbara Stanwyck slap Errol Flynn in Cry Wolf. He suddenly kissed her, she asked him why, which he did to prove she was a tramp. He didn't say those words but that was the implication. Which is why she slapped his face.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2021 7:14 PM

Miss Laura Linney delivered two satisfying, rapid-fire, lip-splitting slaps to Jason Bateman in the second episode of [italic]Ozark.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2021 7:21 PM

I was stunned when Tony Randall slapped a crying Doris Day in "Pillow Talk." Yes, it was a different time, but no one hits Doris Day!

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2021 7:27 PM

^ But, he ends up with his face smashed in...

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2021 7:28 PM

I came here to mention the Pillow Talk slap, too, R42. I appreciate it was another generation, but it shocked me the first time I saw it!

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2021 7:41 PM

You all know the famous story about Robert Mitchum slapping Jean Simmons in Angel Face right?

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2021 9:25 AM

There is a disturbing slapping scene in Calcutta where Alan Ladd slaps Gail Russell because he believes she is lying, He tells her Do you think you are too beautiful to slap? I don't like Alan Ladd anyway but he is horrible here.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2021 9:27 AM

R42 Didn’t one of her husbands beat her unmercilessly?

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2021 9:35 AM

Funnily enough, I watched HAIL, CAESAR! last night. The movie starts with Josh Brolin (as a studio exec) slapping around an actress caught violating her contract and ends with Josh Brolin slapping around George Clooney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2021 9:35 AM

"Certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs."

Noël Coward from Private Lives. In context it's not as bad as it sounds, since the character is obviously not serious. It used bring a huge laugh but it's almost always omitted now because it brings boos.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2021 12:36 AM

What about spanking in movies ?

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2021 12:58 AM

R50, see R10 and click the link.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2021 1:18 AM

R51 No video

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2021 1:26 AM

In The Long Good Friday (1980), London crime boss Bob Hoskins visits a dead underling's widow, she immediately starts screeching at him so he just gives her a slap. But it's more "Shut it, you slag!" than "Get a grip, you're hysterical!"

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2021 8:24 PM

R5

I was just going to post that - immediately came to mind when I read the OP.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2021 8:28 PM

Slapping hysteric patients is standard procedure.

Slapping newborns is standard procedure.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2021 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!