Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yet more short lived TV series

Every time I look up some show on YouTube, for weeks after I get all these old show openings/credits.

I don't remember this one.....I'm pretty sure I *would* have remembered this opening!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2021 7:31 AM

"One of the few MTM failures"

Whose idea was it to cast Iola as a romantic lead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Fetch me mah tambourine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2021 8:16 PM

Poor Marcia Rodd never landed anything that worked Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2021 8:17 PM

Poor Marcia Rodd never landed anything that worked Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Poor Marcia. Also cut from the pilots of Maude and One Day At. A Time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2021 8:21 PM

This one I also don't remember, but apparently NBC got cold feet about a gay character and never ran this show!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2021 8:22 PM

I remember Ball Four. I had a crush on Jim Bouton who was a local sportscaster in NY. So sad it didn’t last

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2021 8:55 PM

Jim Bouton was the sportscaster on WCBS 2 in New York when I was a kid. I had such a crush on that man as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2021 9:30 PM

He started at WABC then switched to WCBS.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2021 9:44 PM

I had a teenage crush on Jimmy McNichol who starred in 1979’s 10 episode CALIFORNIA FEVER. Jimmy sang the theme song. Listening to it again now he doesn’t sound very good. Lorenzo Lamas also starred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2021 9:49 PM

R1, We’ve Got Each Other was kind of sweet. I was really young but so remember thinking “there is someone for everyone.” Years later I got to know Beverly Archer. She was so happy to hear the show was remembered.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2021 10:58 PM

This looks....terrible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2021 1:41 AM

Ball Four was very controversial because it pushed the envelope on acceptable language and subject matter at that time for prime time TV. I was only about 10 when it started so I wasn’t allowed to watch.

Most failed TV shows have at least one actor who went on to something that succeeded, but I don’t recognize any of the names in that large cast except for Samuel E. Wright who had some modest success as a Broadway actor.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2021 3:29 AM

R13- David-James Carroll from Ball Four went on to Broadway success and two Tony nominations in three years for Leading Actor in a Musical (Chess, Grand Hotel) before succumbing to an AIDS related illness in early 1992 at the age of 41. He was poised to have a big and lengthy career on Broadway and had an amazing voice, and charm to spare.

R12- The only thing I remember about Sugar Time was that during its short-lived run, Didi Carr appeared on Match Game at least twice, and was introduced as "the star of the new hit show, 'Sugar Time.'"

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2021 4:02 AM

R14-,Was Carroll the good looking guy with the mustache in the baseball sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2021 4:06 AM

No, you can barely see him in the opening credits in OP's post. At the very end when they are all looking out the window, he's the guy on the left in the blue striped shirt. Here's some David Carroll late in his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2021 4:10 AM

Can't Hurry Love starring Nancy McKeon and a pre-SVU Mariska Hargitay. Mckeon was seriously considered for the role of Monica in Friends and CHL is clearly in the same vein. Despite getting cancelled it got decent ratings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2021 5:39 AM

R17- Two Lesbian actresses as roommates-Who knows what might transpire?

By the way- Mariska is SO young and pretty here.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2021 5:55 AM

David Carroll - if I remember right the story was he was somewhat advanced in his AIDS. Someone took over his role but they wanted him for the original cast recording. He went to record it, but had a heart attack at the studio and died.

MARY!

Grand Hotel also had the very lovely, wonderful Michael Jeter.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2021 4:10 PM

Shows about orphans don't last long like Stephanie Beacham's "Sister Kate" (1 season), Abe Vigoda's "FIsh" (2 seasons) , Joseph Bologna's "Rags to Riches" (2 seasons).

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2021 4:20 PM

R19, that's correct. David was in and out of the show for about a year or so, due to his illness. Right before the Tony Awards that year, he got too ill to perform, so they had Brent Barrett take over for him until they could get Rex Smith up to speed in the role. The saddest thing was to see Carroll attending the Tonys, watching someone else play his role in the performance during the show. That number basically saved Grand Hotel and kept it running for a couple of years, it was so well received.

Carroll came back to the show once more, but it was very short lived. The cast album, which should have been recorded shortly after the opening, took 2 1/2 years to get done because of issues between the composers who were fired off the show and the one brought in. So by the time Carroll got to record it, he was very ill and they brought him in by himself to record his part a few days before everyone else. And he went to the restroom before he started the session and died there.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2021 4:44 PM

Jason Priestley was 20 in 1989 on SISTER KATE and SO cute!

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2021 4:59 PM

Did Sister Sable Colby ever sample the Pendulousness of Priestly?

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2021 7:07 PM

Had to refresh my memory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2021 7:09 PM

R1, Beverly Archer also co-starred on ABC's ill-fated [italic]Nancy Walker Show[/italic] as Nancy's nerdy hypochondriac daughter. She was really funny (to 10-year-old me anyway) because she leaned hard into her nerdiness. I wish someone would put it on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2021 7:24 PM

The Ugliest Girl in Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2021 7:28 PM

R26 that clip is LITERAL VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2021 7:31 PM

[italic]Stockard Channing in Just Friends[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2021 7:34 PM

Blansky's Beauties!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2021 7:37 PM

Short lived with Celeste "Cunt" Holm in the cast.

Cool song, though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2021 2:34 PM

DL legend Diana Canova!

And some blandly handsome dude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2021 3:00 PM

South Central: part sitcom, part drama. Too black; canned after one season. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2021 3:06 PM

Grosse Pointe! I had a huge crush on Kyle Howard as a kid. He just couldn’t catch a break

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2021 3:08 PM

This guy's got a ton of short-lived series' pilots on YouTube, most of them from the 90s and 00s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2021 4:08 PM

The show that was apparently cancelled between the east coast debut and west coast airings.

I remember seeing its one episode.....it was meh, but nothing that would merit such a messy ending. Have seen way worse since.

And heeeeeyyyyyy, Miss Macy Gray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2021 5:10 PM

I loved GROSSE POINT, R33! I have the series on DVD. It’s a hilarious underrated gem. The tv father lusting after his onscreen son (Al Santos) was funny and creepy.

I thought Santos would have had more of a career because the man was stunning and a decent actor. Other than the JEEPERS CREEPERS sequel that he did many years ago he really fizzled. His career reminds me of CALIFORNIA DREAMS’ Michael Cade who was equally good looking, had good comic timing, but went nowhere.

Here’s the show’s into.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2021 11:15 PM

13 episodes in total only, but it will never be forgotten by the gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 28, 2021 4:33 AM

The hilarious "The Powers That Be" starring John Forsythe and Hollard Taylor, 1992-93, produced by Norman Lear.

Holland Taylor: People. Don't get me started on people!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2021 4:37 AM

*Holland

by Anonymousreply 39January 28, 2021 4:37 AM

^ Was Holland younger there than Sarah Paulson is now?

by Anonymousreply 40January 28, 2021 8:48 AM

Charlie's Angels 2011 with DL favs Minka Kelly and Rachael Taylor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 28, 2021 9:03 AM

"TURN ON".

The shortest series of all was a mildly smutty variety show starring Tim Conway cancelled during the only episode that ran.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 28, 2021 9:08 AM

R38 I see The Nanny used the same sets from that show. Check out the photos on IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 43January 28, 2021 9:17 AM

I watched an episode of It's Your Move with Jason Bateman from that youtube account above and realized the set was the exact same one as the apartment in One Day at a Time.

by Anonymousreply 44January 28, 2021 10:16 AM

Wow, did that show with a Heather Graham in R35 also feature Nina “the face” Katz? Must be why Heather graham was in that infamous episode?

by Anonymousreply 45January 28, 2021 11:22 AM

GROSS POINTE was awesome. I would love to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2021 11:54 AM

R46, several of the eps are on YouTube. Here's the pilot, and the same account has several more eps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2021 12:10 PM

I was just a kid when Partners in Crime came out. I was so excited! It was so bad!

by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2021 12:16 PM

There a huge drama going in in Texas with a man named Jason Collier living a double life. Reminds me of the show alone a Star which only lasted two episodes. Starting DL fave James Wolk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2021 12:28 PM

*Lone Star

by Anonymousreply 50January 28, 2021 12:31 PM

Still one of the best shows ever to air only a few episodes. I think it might have run longer in the streaming era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2021 6:58 PM

"Viva Laughlin!" from DL fave Hugh Jackman. Cancelled after two airings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2021 7:02 PM

"The Herman Cain Show"

(Seriously. See the attached Wikipedia article about one-episode shows. He croaked before they could do a second episode.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2021 7:04 PM

R51, I LOVE Wonderfalls. I watch it every few years or so.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2021 10:08 PM

R54 It's so good. Love Caroline D amd Diana Scarwid is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2021 10:10 PM

R29- Actually there's a NEW 21st century version of Blansky's Beauties premiering soon it's called - Blansky's TRANS Beauties.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2021 10:30 PM

Pushing Daisies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote] Blansky's TRANS Beauties.

Wouldn't it be called Transky's Beauties?

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2021 11:36 PM

R57 OMG that scene. I cry every time.

by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2021 1:33 AM

I can't imagine why this wasn't picked up!`

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2021 1:37 AM

The Andrews Sisters also had a TV pilot...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2021 1:49 AM

Jesus r60!

by Anonymousreply 62January 31, 2021 6:51 AM

I wanted to post Central Park West but since that lasted two seasons, here's Pacific Palisades instead. It made real estate look glamourous and exciting , years before Million Dollar Listing and Joan Collins was at the top of her game. But she was brought in to increase falling ratings and Natalia Cigliuti(Mrs Matt Passmore) finding out her sister was actually mother was a bit underwhelming - it's not really that surprising it was cancelled. According to Wikipedia it was originally meant as a vehicle for Erika Eleniak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2021 7:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!