Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eva Marie Saint

I really hope she publishes an autobiography one day. As one of the last remaining stars who were on top in the 50s she’s always been fascinating to me. While a star I always see her in the same category as Lee Remick, someone who could have been much bigger.

She’s always classy in interviews and has worked with some of the most iconic people in the business. While she hasn’t really dropped anything salacious in interviews, I’m certain she must have those stories too. She’s been in the business so long she’s probably seen just about everything.

Anyone have any stories of or encounters with her? She always comes across very nice and earthy in interviews with a sense of humour about herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2021 1:35 AM

Just great, OP. Have you never heard of the Datalounge curse? Whenever a thread is started about some celebrity that hasn't been heard from in a long time, they end up dead within a few months, Ask Lizabeth Scott.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2021 10:44 PM

Ah, I couldn’t resist. I didn’t see any discussion about her on this forum which I thought odd given that she starred alongside so many DL icons. She was looking well, for her age, at the Oscars the other year when she presented.

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2021 10:56 PM

Nice pic, op. Genuine smile, good looks without being done up in Hollywood glamour. Newman looks hung over.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2021 11:00 PM

Godawful, talentless dumb 50s blonde. Always made my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2021 11:02 PM

Oh really? R4. To me she seemed the antithesis of the dumb blonde. In North by Northwest she was an intelligent spy, in On the Waterfront she was the earnest sister to murdered, Joey. Dumb and blonde don’t come to mind when I think of Eva Marie.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2021 11:09 PM

She was fantastic alongside Cary Grant. Once saw her at another table at the old Trader Vic's in SF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2021 11:10 PM

Too classy to spill.

by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2021 11:11 PM

R6 she and Grant did make a good team, it’s a shame they weren’t teamed up again. They may have been good together in The Birds or Marnie.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2021 11:13 PM

I think R4 is getting her mixed up with someone else.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2021 11:16 PM

R7 more than likely. But her autobiography would be one of the rare ones that I would enjoy reading. She’s managed to keep her mystique which would make it even more fascinating to read her first hand accounts of the films she’s been a part of and those she has worked with as well as her experiences in the industry as she progressed into the various ages. I mean from On the Waterfront to Moonlighting, there’s quite a lot of scope.

I read she was first choice for The Thomas Crown affair but was deemed too old by the producers and DL fave Faye Dunaway was given the role. While I can’t imagine anyone other than Dunaway in that role I guess that may have been the turning point for Eva Marie in terms of ageing out of those very interesting and exciting roles that could have propelled her further.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2021 11:24 PM

Here she is meeting Dorothy Dandridge at the 1955 Oscars. I love seeing candids like this; I’m sure she rubbed shoulders with many interesting people. Dorothy was romantically linked to Otto Preminger at the time and in a few years Eva Marie would be directed by him in Exodus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2021 11:34 PM

Her presenting at the Oscars a few years ago. Well into her 90s but looking and sounding great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2021 1:08 AM

I saw her in DEATH OF A SALESMAN opposite Judd Hirsch at UNC years ago.I actually don’t like the play but I thought they were both quite good. My memory says her husband had some connection to the university (alumni maybe?).

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2021 1:18 AM

It won’t happen. She won’t dish on anyone publicly so it would be super white-washed and bland though her life wasn’t. She is a supreme class act though and funny.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2021 1:31 AM

I shouldn't be surprised she is still alive. She was always the type to hang on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2021 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!