Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did any of you sail on the Andrea Doria?

I find the sinking very fascinating. What’s even more fascinating is the ship that sank her, the MS Stockholm, is still in service.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2021 6:20 PM

Kinky linky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2021 2:47 PM

Mrs. Cary Grant, Betsy Drake, was the most famous survivor, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2021 3:02 PM

Hell, yes. It was my retirement celebration cruise.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2021 3:19 PM

Well, not since it sank.

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2021 3:30 PM

R2 It could be argued that Richardson Dilworth, then the mayor of Philadelphia, and Hollywood actress Ruth Roman were the better known survivors.

I wasn't on the Andrea Doria but did sail (years later) on her sister-ship, the Christoforo Colombo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2021 3:59 PM

There was an interesting book written within the last few years about the ship. Its was the type of accident that the public didn't think could ever happen with modern (50s) technology and lessons learned from earlier sinkings. Turns out humor error can override technology anytime as needed.

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2021 5:04 PM

That Ruth was a survivor, she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2021 5:10 PM

No, but I sailed *with* Andrea Doria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2021 5:25 PM

I hate it that Andrea manscaped.

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote] her sister-ship, the Christoforo Colombo.

Didn’t they know how to spell Christopher Columbus?

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2021 5:54 PM

JEEZUZ, OP How old do you think we are...next you will want to know our experiences on the Titanic

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2021 6:00 PM

I sailed on the Mayflower, and I don't remember any sinking.

What are we talking about????

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2021 6:02 PM

I saw Noah being inappropriate with a sheep.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2021 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!