Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Non-Southern White People not know about Sweet Potato Pie?

Sweet potato pie is THE desert of the South regardless of race. However, I have noticed that nonSouthern whites seem oblivious to it and how incredibly delicious it is. They continue to consume pumpkin pie, despite it being such a pale, unsavory standin for the much sweeter, flavorful sweet potato pie. However, black northerners rightly prefer sweet potato pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 11, 2023 6:26 PM

yuh yes we know about it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2021 2:51 PM

Yes we know and we don't like! Who needs all those carbs?

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2021 2:56 PM

Why are sweet potato pie fans so aggressive? I grew up on pumpkin, love it and make it every year. Sweet potatoes are too cloying for me, so I don’t eat them. And I don’t shame and proselytize people who do.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2021 2:59 PM

no thanks, we just ignore it

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote]Sweet potato pie is THE desert of the South regardless of race.

There are deserts in the South?

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2021 3:07 PM

I agree with R3.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2021 3:08 PM

Never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2021 3:14 PM

Cloying ?

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2021 3:22 PM

Sweet potato pie tastes one note to me...overly sweet. I prefe the complex spice taste of Yankee pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2021 3:29 PM

Northerner and pumpkin pie fan here. I made my first sweet potato pie this year and it was a revelation. I still like pumpkin pie (family vetoed my attempt to make sweet potato pie instead for thanksgiving), but sweet potato is great. I appreciate that it's easier to make from scratch. (I found no value add to starting from a whole pumpkin rather than using canned puree.)

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2021 3:31 PM

They dont know about Iced Tea either Op . Or didnt when I used to travel a lot .

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2021 3:33 PM

Sweet potatoe pie is old news it’s all about ube pie now.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2021 3:33 PM

I'm from North Carolina and I always despised sweet potatoes (aka yams) in every form, even as a child. They taste sickly sweet, then Southern cooks add marshmallows or pumpkin spices on top. YUCK!

I've always hated grits, too.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2021 3:36 PM

I didn’t know about it until I was 23 or so.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2021 3:36 PM

Growing up in Connecticut I knew about it, but that’s because my mom was from Tennessee. She worked with a woman who was from South Carolina and would make sweet potato pie for the company Thanksgiving lunch. My mom was the only one who ate it. After a few years her co-worker would just make the pie for my mom.

I prefer it over pumpkin pie though. You fat whore haven’t lived until you eat a peanut butter pie.

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2021 3:40 PM

Northern / Pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2021 3:44 PM

Yes we do and we feed sweet potatoes to the pigs.

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2021 3:51 PM

I can’t tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2021 4:09 PM

Yes, OP. I know ALL about it. And I know all about your "sweet tea" too.

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2021 4:15 PM

We all don't not know about it and prefer not to eat it.

(I am using retarded grammar so that the Southerner OP can understand).

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2021 4:18 PM

Not white nor black. I lived innATL for years and I have a deep appreciation for Southern food. Sweet potato pie is aces in my book and so is most of the other artery clogging, heart attack inducing, diabetes laden Southern victuals.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2021 4:23 PM

the only thing I find weird about sweet potatoe pie is that all the recipes call for boiling the potatoes to cook them before pureeing. I would think baking them first would taste better.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2021 4:28 PM

R22, I agree. I’m just guessing here, but maybe boil them to render out some of the starch? I know sweet potatoes have less starch than regular spuds, though.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2021 4:31 PM

R22 baking the sweet potatoes is normally how I prepare the pie. I’m not southern though, so maybe doing so is considered blasphemy?

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2021 4:32 PM

yes but then flour is added to thicken it, the starch would do the same thing and taste better. if I make one ever, I will bake them and see

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2021 4:34 PM

Again, r25, good point! Go on with your bad ass, baking self.

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2021 4:36 PM

They are similarly spiced and, after adding whipped cream, very similar in taste and appearance. I would still give an edge to pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2021 4:40 PM

I'm from Dallas and we always made pumpkin pie in my family. Tried sweet potato pie a couple times at a diner and was underwhelmed. Also, we of course serve mashed sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving and Xmas, but never put marshmallows on them. That just seems so trashy to me. We topped the sweet potatoes with roasted, sugared pecahhhns - (not peee-cans, haha!)

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2021 4:44 PM

Never had it. I'd love to try it, though. I think pumpkin pie is ridiculously overrated.

Lol @ the people in this thread pretending they aren't fat. Just admit it, girls.

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2021 4:49 PM

They taste the same, though sweet potato is often more fibrous in texture than pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2021 4:56 PM

We have colleges and universities up here.

You're just southern trash.

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2021 5:00 PM

I like sweet potatoes better when they aren't in pie

- a blake pearson froam Virginia

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2021 5:11 PM

What about pecan pie?

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2021 5:14 PM

Do northern whites even know about peach cobbler? No wonder folks are flocking South.

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2021 5:19 PM

Pecan pie is a special dessert, and Concentrated in certain subregions of the South, not nearly as ubiquitous and beloved as sweet potato pie.

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2021 5:20 PM

r12 and r22 = Dan Quayle

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2021 5:21 PM

Southerner who does not eat sweet potato pie. I only eat sweet potatoes baked or whipped with butter, salt and pepper.

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2021 5:22 PM

I've eaten and made both. While they have a similar flavor (because neither pumpkin nor sweet potatoes have that strong of a flavor on their own; the pies flavor comes primarily from the spices used), the texture is very different. Pumpkin pie tends to be firmer and more custard-like; sweet potato pie is softer. But that could also be dependent on the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2021 5:23 PM

haha r36, that's what I get for going from plural to singular without thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 39January 1, 2021 5:23 PM

Southerners are such jerks about food posts and recipe blogs. they think they invented everything, when usually it goes back to the British Isles and/or Africa. Lots of people have heard of sweet potato pie. I first had it at a workplace event where an African American colleague brought it. Yum. But it's basically a cousin to pumpkin pie, so not that unique---you use what's available.

I've lived in the South and never seemed to be a fave of White Southerners. I think Cobbler is more of a crossover dessert and of course, it has lots of close relations, like buckles, brown bettys and crisps that claim origins elsewhere but are basically the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 40January 1, 2021 5:28 PM

I've made the America's Test Kitchen version of pumpkin pie for years. It includes yams in it. So it's actually a mix. I highly recomment the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 41January 1, 2021 5:30 PM

Sweet potato soufflé is the true southern dish.

Not sweet potato pie.

by Anonymousreply 42January 1, 2021 5:34 PM

Pecan pie rules!

by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2021 5:35 PM

R40 go talk to the French.

by Anonymousreply 44January 1, 2021 5:39 PM

I love both sweet potato and pumpkin pie. Without whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 45January 1, 2021 5:52 PM

I’m a Northerner that likes Southern food, but sweet potato pie is only ok. I much prefer pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 46January 1, 2021 6:01 PM

R42, only among a tiny number of elites. You want find it among the vast majority. Most don’t even know about it

by Anonymousreply 47January 1, 2021 6:05 PM

R42, only among a tiny number of elites. You want find it among the vast majority. Most don’t even know about it

by Anonymousreply 48January 1, 2021 6:05 PM

You won’t

by Anonymousreply 49January 1, 2021 6:08 PM

I prefer pumpkin. For some reason sweet potato pie tastes sort of metallic to me.

by Anonymousreply 50January 1, 2021 9:25 PM

I admit ignorance about sweet potato pie and its virtues. Also, grits. Although I'm curious about both.

by Anonymousreply 51January 1, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]They continue to consume pumpkin pie, despite it being such a pale, unsavory standin

If your pumpkin pie is 'pale' and 'unsavory,' you're not making it correctly.

Lifelong Southerner here, who has no truck with Sweet Potato pie.

by Anonymousreply 52January 1, 2021 9:45 PM

Do not ruin a basically decent, nutrient rich carb by adding sugar and pie crust.

by Anonymousreply 53January 1, 2021 9:53 PM

Another superfood ruined by white people.

by Anonymousreply 54January 1, 2021 9:57 PM

I absolutely love pumpkin pie (I'm in the North), but have only barely sampled sweet potato pie, and it didn't really impress me. Then again, it was because I had tried to make one from scratch for my BF (who is black). I could tell he didn't like my production, but he also couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, either, so it's still sort of a mystery to me. I've asked him to provide me an example of a sweet potato pie he approves of, so that I can try to reproduce it for him. In the meantime, I love sweet potatoes, but not in pie (yet). I prefer them steamed, then eat them with butter and cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 55January 1, 2021 9:59 PM

Is bean pie popular in the south?

by Anonymousreply 56January 1, 2021 10:27 PM

Pumpkin pie and Sweet Potato pie are equally disgusting. The texture is foul - mashed shit with spices in a crust. If I want a southern dessert I will take a peach cobbler any day over nasty Sweet Potato pie.

by Anonymousreply 57January 1, 2021 10:33 PM

A Wisconsinite would plate it under a slice of American cheese .

An Ohioan would add bean chili and spaghetti.

An Indianan would do whippits, then a skinpop and then nod off mid-tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 58January 1, 2021 10:44 PM

They're both trash.

by Anonymousreply 59January 1, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]Is bean pie popular in the south?

It's very popular with the Muslims. They are always selling them at intersections. They're ok, no great shakes though.

BTW despite growing up in the south I hated everything sweet potato related. There is something about the texture and flavor that just grosses me out. Maybe it's the fact that it looks like it should have a savory flavor but has the cloying sweetness instead. Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 60January 1, 2021 11:09 PM

Miss Patti has educated us OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 1, 2021 11:58 PM

I'm a southerner who hates both sweet potato and pumpkin pie. I have a great recipe for sweet potato biscuits, though.

by Anonymousreply 62January 2, 2021 12:07 AM

US Pie desserts (Sweet Potato/Pumpkin/Pecan) are all just variations of Frangipane, which is itself based on Ancient Greek and Roman dishes.

We have Bakewell Tart in the UK which is also just another variation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 2, 2021 12:37 AM

Im black and southern so yeah I've been eating SPP my whole life and never tire of it. I have pumpkin every year at functions, very similar but SPP has the something extra. Patti makes a good one, but its not for those who don't like very very sweet pie.

And like these ladies I can look at SPP and tell if its good 😁

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 2, 2021 12:51 AM

R64 Where’s the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the spices?

by Anonymousreply 65January 2, 2021 12:54 AM

It’s a staple of soul food.

by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote] Why are sweet potato pie fans so aggressive? I grew up on pumpkin, love it and make it every year. Sweet potatoes are too cloying for me, so I don’t eat them. And I don’t shame and proselytize people who do.

Ma'am this sounds serious. I think you should file a police report.

Sweet potato casserole is a standard Thanksgiving side dish. Yet some here at like sweet potato pie is some strange aberration. Silly.

by Anonymousreply 67January 2, 2021 2:45 AM

R65 Something else you might not be aware of is that in Europe (especially in the UK) most Apple Pie doesn't have spices or cinnamon either!

I prefer it that way, I hate Cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 68January 2, 2021 3:35 AM

I heard sweet potato fans get really upset if you call it yam.

by Anonymousreply 69January 2, 2021 3:41 AM

[quote] I heard sweet potato fans get really upset if you call it yam.

I've neither heard nor have I experienced that. They are two different things. However, I've always heard them used interchangeably,

by Anonymousreply 70January 2, 2021 4:36 AM

A sweet potato baked for a long time until caramelized is a glorious thing.

by Anonymousreply 71January 2, 2021 4:48 AM

Sweet potatoes are ghetto. Pumpkin is better.

by Anonymousreply 72January 2, 2021 6:45 AM

Your pumpkin is most likely squash so enjoy I guess.

by Anonymousreply 73January 2, 2021 6:54 AM

Cheddar, never American, R58.

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2021 8:06 AM

Sweet potato pie is not as good as it's talked up to be. Just like grits. I wanna like them, but yuck!

by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2021 8:07 AM

Sweet potatoes are extremely good for you. Probably not so much in pie form, admittedly, but they are a staple of some of the oldest-living nations.

by Anonymousreply 76January 2, 2021 9:47 AM

I love sweet potato pie. I live in the Great Lakes area and had never heard of it, only had pumpkin pie which I thought was meh. My first taste of sweet potato pie was a game changer. Sweet and savory. Loved it and make it year-round.

by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2021 9:57 AM

[quote]yes but then flour is added to thicken it, the starch would do the same thing and taste better. if I make one ever, I will bake them and see

You don't add flour to thicken a sweet potato pie. My goodness, it's already thick.

by Anonymousreply 78January 2, 2021 10:03 AM

[quote]A sweet potato baked for a long time until caramelized is a glorious thing.

Thank you! It's divine, especially when the skin hardens.

by Anonymousreply 79January 2, 2021 10:04 AM

This debate is right up there with the infamous lasagna food fight we had a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 80January 2, 2021 10:29 AM

You would have to egg or something I'd imagine, pie filling shouldn't collapse and run out the sides of a good pie.

by Anonymousreply 81January 2, 2021 8:13 PM

Sorry, I'm Georgia born and bred and sweet potato pie is good, but it is certainly not the defining dessert of the south. That accolade (for my money) would go to the pecan pie and the pound cake. if you have the talent to make a good pecan pie you can count yourself a good cook. And trust me, it takes talent to make a pecan pie properly and not end up with a runny mess.

Frankly, sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie taste too much alike to me. They're both inundated with the same spices and that's all you taste. The sweet potato and the pumpkin are just fillers to hold all those spices.

by Anonymousreply 82January 2, 2021 10:08 PM

Barf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 3, 2021 1:45 AM

I've made sweet potato pie since I was a kid.

And there's nothing like a little pumpkin in it to improve the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2021 1:55 AM

Sweet potato everything in the South

by Anonymousreply 85January 3, 2021 2:06 AM

[Quote]and the pound cake.

R82 The pound cake my southern relatives enjoyed was 7up Cake. It's actually quite tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 3, 2021 2:20 AM

7-Up cake is so delicious

by Anonymousreply 87January 3, 2021 2:54 AM

^Have you guys checked your blood sugar lately?

by Anonymousreply 88January 3, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote] I'm from North Carolina and I always despised sweet potatoes (aka yams)

Sweet potatoes and yams are 2 completely different vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 89January 3, 2021 1:07 PM

I can't smell or taste anything... oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 90January 3, 2021 1:26 PM

Northerner here.

I like both pumpkin & sweet potato pies, but I'd give the edge to the sweet potato because of the texture.

Now bean pie (which I love) - that's one that less people know about.

by Anonymousreply 91January 3, 2021 1:38 PM

[Quote]Sweet potatoes and yams are 2 completely different vegetables.

Are pies also made with actual yams? The Yam Pie recipes online actually call for sweet potatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 3, 2021 1:50 PM

Bullshit. I agree with Georgia, the real desserts of the South are pound cake and pecan pie. You can judge the quality of a home by the quality of the pound cake and their cheese straws. Pecan pie is no measure as its hard to fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 93January 3, 2021 2:16 PM

I grew up in the deep south and despise sweet potato pie and casserole. And sweet tea. And southern cornbread, which might as well be a dessert. And coleslaw. Nearly every dish had inordinate levels of sugar. What is it about the South and sugar?

by Anonymousreply 94January 3, 2021 2:32 PM

The South has higher rates of obesity than the rest of the US. Sugar is the main reason. This thread is just more proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 3, 2021 2:37 PM

You lost the war, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 96January 3, 2021 2:52 PM

They both sound equally delicious. 😭

by Anonymousreply 97January 3, 2021 7:27 PM

My 7UP & lemon pound cakes are TO DIE FOR!! Along with the 10 or 12 other pound cake recipes I've made. They're all wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 98January 3, 2021 10:14 PM

r94 lies. There is SPP that basically uses only the sugar from the sweet potato. Unsweet tea is a thing. Plenty of cornbread and hushpuppies even have zero sugar. Tray some eastern NC cornsticks.

by Anonymousreply 99January 3, 2021 10:22 PM

There are all sorts of recipes in the south for cornbread. Not all of them have sugar in them. Personally, I love a good honey corn bread. But yes, it's more akin to a cake than typical cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 100January 3, 2021 11:24 PM

Sweet potato pie is where it’s at. Pumpkin pie is disgusting. It’s a white person thing, just like unseasoned food, finger sandwiches, making cookies from melting chocolate over Ritz crackers and green bean casserole.

by Anonymousreply 101January 3, 2021 11:44 PM

White people eat pumpkin pie. Black and southern people eat sweet potato pie

by Anonymousreply 102August 14, 2021 1:07 PM

White gay man, here, from North. Out of necessity and like so many of my white gay men contemporaries, I gentrified a few neighborhoods so I know all the wonders of working class food among the non-whites in North. Sweet Potato Pie was never more than a block away from all my (I say) bohemian (you say) race and class genocidal apartments.

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2021 1:26 PM

I'm in the South and I eat pumpkin pie. Tried a sweet potato pie and was just "meh" about the whole thing. Not a huge fan of pumpkin either though. I like classic apple, lemon meringue and key lime pies.

by Anonymousreply 104August 14, 2021 1:44 PM

I’m southern and not only have I never eaten sweet potato pie - I’ve never been offered it or seen it on a menu. I have heard about it though…

Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 105August 14, 2021 2:01 PM

Why is your question for white people only? Everyone knows what SPP is stupid fuck. And it wasn’t a dessert started by white people.

Educate yourself before posting such a stupid fucking question… and for just white people at that!

by Anonymousreply 106August 14, 2021 2:10 PM

OP, are you living in rural Maine or some obscure suburb of Portland? Anyone who has shared a workplace with African-Americans has at least heard of, if not tasted sweet potato pie. It is a delight. If people haven't, they've probably had its first cousin, sweet potato casserole. I'm sure that lots of cooks who wanted to do something besides pumpkin in the fall, have tried to make it at least once. And this white thing misses, that many white southerners often get more misty eyed about chess pie or fudge pies (both delicious) esp. if they have roots in Kentucky or Tennessee, not to mention vinegar pie.

by Anonymousreply 107August 14, 2021 2:18 PM

Unclench R106.

by Anonymousreply 108August 14, 2021 2:20 PM

Sweet Potato casserole is an abomination. Sweet potatoes are delicious just baked or smashed with butter, salt and pepper but adding sugar and marshmallows is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 109August 14, 2021 2:21 PM

I make sweet potatoes baked in the oven, with some butter in the middle (where I cut a slit), cinnamon, brown sugar and 10 minutes before it’s done I put some marshmallows on top.

by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2021 2:23 PM

Sounded good until the cinnamon, sugar and marshmallows R110.

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2021 2:26 PM

Seems appropriate to add this to the conversation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2021 2:38 PM

Seems like it's for The Poors.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2021 5:33 PM

It’s wonderful

by Anonymousreply 114August 15, 2021 12:49 PM

So this is another racist thread?

I grew up with it.

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 115August 15, 2021 1:12 PM

White northerners tend not to have palates for sweet or flavorful food. It’s a region where bland food predominates

by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2021 1:45 PM

R116: You're funny. It's impossible to find any semi-authentic version of spicy food in the South. People think those awful Cantonese buffets are real Chinese. As for not wanting things too sweet, some of us would rather not have something that seems like it would induce a diabetic coma and uses sugar to mask low quality ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2021 1:52 PM

I was born and raised in the South, and never had sweet cornbread until I visited my northern relatives. The idea that southerners are sweet cornbread fanatics is just false.

Neither SPP nor pumpkin pie will ever be top desserts for me as I’ve generally avoided them since I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2021 1:55 PM

Pumpkin pie tastes dull. sPP is much more flavorful

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2021 2:51 PM

You know you can make pie from any winter squash. Acorn squash pie is stronger tasting than pumpkin.

That being said sweet potato pie is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2021 3:09 PM

I have to agree with the OP. I love sweet potato pie and think it is (for my taste) superior to pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2021 3:11 PM

Team Sweet Potato

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2021 1:58 AM

sweet potato biscuits are incredible

by Anonymousreply 123October 12, 2021 2:03 AM

I find sweet potato pie way too sweet. I also don't like it in casseroles with marshmallow (ghastly). I like sweet potatoes as a vegetable, roasted with salt, pepper and butter or olive oil. I make a mildly sweet pumpkin pie with lots of spices.

I cooked my way across the US last summer (virtually) and the amounts of sugar and salt go way up when you hit the Southern recipes. The food was good, but I'll take New Mexico's as far as regional cuisines go and my own state. (With my favorite pies being various berry pies found here and in the PNW.)

by Anonymousreply 124October 12, 2021 3:00 AM

My African American grandmother (from Louisiana) used to make sweet potato pie with toasted pecans on top….so kind of a cross between sweet potato and pecan pie. It was insanely good. My aunt has the recipe, but we had an argument so I may never get it.

by Anonymousreply 125October 12, 2021 3:26 AM

On Thanksgiving, it's always pumpkin pie, and the sweet potatoes go in the candied yams with marshmallows or sweet potato casserole. I'm a northeastener and that's the tradition in my family.

by Anonymousreply 126October 12, 2021 3:31 AM

Just talked to some black friends about this. They said there is nothing so white as preferring pumpkin pie over sweet potato pie. Any black person who prefers pumpkin has his black card instantly revoked

by Anonymousreply 127November 25, 2021 1:54 AM

I have had a sweet potato chiffon pie that was absolutely heavenly - delicate but flavorful. The regular version I find too cloying somehow. I love pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2021 2:02 AM

Once you have sweet potatoe pie you NEVER GO BACK TO PUMPKIN !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 129November 25, 2021 2:04 AM

Amen, R129.

I am a sweet potato dessert convert. I prefer sweet potato pie, bread, muffins, etc. over pumpkin

by Anonymousreply 130November 25, 2021 2:10 AM

I detest sweet cornbread and judge others harshly for their preference for sweet cornbread.

just eat cake you infant.

by Anonymousreply 131November 25, 2021 2:21 AM

I live in the North and Sweet Potato Pies are for sale almost everywhere OP, yes we know about them.

I love Pumpkin Pie and didn't have any last year, so I bought a small one from my grocery bake shop. It was not pumpkin pie even though that is what the label said, it was sweet potato pie and not a very good one. Sweet Potato Pies are okay but I much prefer Pumpkin Pie.

by Anonymousreply 132November 25, 2021 2:50 AM

Pumpkin pie is a northern thing. I prefer it--I find sweet potato cloying. Southern desserts, in general, are too sweet for my palate.

by Anonymousreply 133November 25, 2021 5:33 AM

I prefer a good sugar-free pie like a parsnip pie or a celery pie. Delicious. No one could call them cloying!

by Anonymousreply 134November 25, 2021 6:33 AM

We know about it. We just don't like it or Southern White People.

by Anonymousreply 135November 25, 2021 6:50 AM

Once I was a guest at a home where they nonchalantly served a pale green pie for desert. I love pie and lime pie especially. So I dug right in. The taste was just ok, a bit off for lime pie, though. As I'm a picky eater, I mentioned something like how good the pie was and could I know about her recipe. She said it was made from her home-grown avocados. Bleeeeeh!!! I could've just died right then and there! Love sweet potatoes, but not in pie.

by Anonymousreply 136November 25, 2021 7:01 AM

A pie made out of potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 137November 25, 2021 7:04 AM

Northern white people are just sad.

by Anonymousreply 138November 25, 2021 8:19 AM

Northern White people squashed the South, this squash pie

by Anonymousreply 139November 25, 2021 9:59 AM

I do envy American pie culture. Here in Europe it’s difficult to find sweet pies. You have to make them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 140November 25, 2021 10:21 AM

damn r140, what a way to live! sweet potato pies are amazing, traditional southern dessert. Im glad Patti Labelle has now commercialized them so they are conveniently available to purchase for parties, etc. stores are now creating their own versions. Homemade is still best

by Anonymousreply 141November 25, 2021 10:50 AM

New England born and bred, always have pumpkin pie, deeply spiced and molasses-sweetened. But sweet potatoes in any form are delicious to me, and I appreciate the pie. Of course we know about sweet potato pie!

This year SIL is bringing a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie.

by Anonymousreply 142November 25, 2021 11:04 AM

Ingredients for Black folks’ sweet potato pie recipe 1 ½ pound of sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed (equals about 3 cups when softened and peeled) 12 oz. evaporated milk, 1 can 1 cup of light brown sugar 2 large eggs 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted (or vegan butter) 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract 1 teaspoon of ginger, minced 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon of ground cloves ¼ teaspoon of salt

by Anonymousreply 143November 25, 2021 8:58 PM

The sweet potato first found success in Europe and later in America due to the trans-Atlantic slave trade, which forced the migration of countless human-beings and relocated them primarily in the South. The popularity that sweet potatoes ultimately found within the black community was due to convenience. Though it wasn’t the yam that was so popular back home, it was close enough.

“West Africa is a yam based culture,” said Miller. “Even though we call dark-fleshed sweet potatoes yams, they’re not the same thing as the tropical root plant. [P]eople were dissing the sweet potato as the ‘white man’s yam,’ but on this side of the Atlantic, sweet potatoes were embraced because [enslaved people] couldn’t get the true tropical yams.”

But, as anyone who’s ever put a sweet potato in a pastry shell knows, it takes a lot of work to turn this tuber into a pie. Furthermore, West Africa isn’t exactly known for its desserts, so where did African-Americans come up with this now-iconic dessert?

“Before you had sweet potato pie, you had something called sweet potato pound, which is a corruption of the Native American word for a type of baked bread,” said Miller. ”[Enslaved people] asking for dessert were eating roasted sweet potatoes cooked in the embers of a fire or they started eating mashed up sweet potatoes that were spiced. As [they] got access to cooking technology and equipment, like ovens, that’s when they started to add pie shells.”

by Anonymousreply 144November 25, 2021 9:02 PM

You type poor and fat, OP. Do you have the diabeetus?

by Anonymousreply 145November 25, 2021 9:04 PM

It's no good. I'm a native Southerner who grew up mostly in the North, and I never tell anyone about sweet potata pah. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 146November 25, 2021 9:26 PM

I USED to like chocolate pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 25, 2021 9:29 PM

Fact of the day: Pumpkin pie became a popular dish during Civil War-era celebrations of Thanksgiving because pumpkins were grown on small farms, not plantations, making the pie a symbol of abolitionist virtue.

by Anonymousreply 148November 26, 2021 1:32 PM

“And so rather than eat the pumpkin pie loved by abolitionists, white Southerners instead cooked a sweet potato version made according to the preferences of formerly enslaved Africans.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 26, 2021 1:33 PM

A great example of the wide racial, geographic, and culinary chasm in this nation

by Anonymousreply 150November 26, 2021 8:10 PM

I've said it before, but it needs to be said again: Pumpkin pie is a trash dessert.

You know why pumpkin pie is only popular for a month? Because people eat it out of tradition - not because it's worthy of being a Thanksgiving dessert.

When can we stop pretending it's good?

by Anonymousreply 151November 26, 2021 8:19 PM

Never pumpkin bro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2022 8:43 PM

Also blackberry cobbler is vastly superior to peach cobbler. Peaches are only available in Georgia and states close by, blackberries can be picked wild throughout the South.

Sweet potato pie is vastly superior to pumpkin pie.

Native American Southern here.

by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2022 9:35 PM

Naw. Peach cobbler is dope

by Anonymousreply 154November 20, 2022 9:37 PM

Grew up in the deep South and had family in multiple southern states and sweet potatoes were always a side dish and never a pie. As a southern child who practically mainlined Coca-Cola and Little Debbie snacks, even I looked askanse at that marshmallow laden monstrosity of a dish as trashy and sickly sweet (but saw no hypocrisy of my love of ambrosia). Thus, SPP, which I encountered as an adult, never appealed.

Dessert was always pecan pie and some type of cake. Our relatives in the northern South (Dallas) also had pumpkin pie and apple pie on their credenza.

by Anonymousreply 155November 20, 2022 10:27 PM

R94, we must be from the same area because I, too, grew up with sickly sweet tea, cornbread, hush puppies, cole slaw, etc. It must be regional.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2022 10:30 PM

Car 155 grew up in the wrong part of the South

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2022 10:31 PM

R-155 grew up In the wrong part of the south obviously

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2022 10:32 PM

Granny is baking a sweet potato pie 🥧

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159November 21, 2022 12:34 AM

LOVE sweet potato pie , much better than the lowly pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 160November 21, 2022 12:41 AM

Amen 🙏🏽

by Anonymousreply 161November 21, 2022 1:00 AM

I prefer pumpkin pie personally. It's a texture thing.

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2022 1:09 AM

^ yeah, sickeningly smooth.

by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2022 2:05 AM

I feel attacked.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2022 2:09 AM

Just in case someone hasn't posted this classic (not reading through the whole thread).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2022 2:10 AM

We know. We don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2022 2:22 AM

I’ve heard of it, but never had it. Love Pecan pie though, but only on Thanksgiving. It’s a diabetic coma waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2022 2:26 AM

Where are you from r168? The North?

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2022 2:33 AM

Yeah, but it’s something other people eat.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2022 2:41 AM

Has the From North Troll weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 170November 21, 2022 2:43 AM

R169, you can say “black people, bro.

by Anonymousreply 171November 21, 2022 3:01 AM

R104, I've never, ever heard of celery or parsnip pie. What else goes into the celery filling?

by Anonymousreply 172November 21, 2022 3:08 AM

Parsnip pie = vomituous

by Anonymousreply 173November 21, 2022 8:04 AM

Pecan pie is not an easy pie to make for some people. I'm 69 years old and I can't count the number of pecan pies I've been served in various homes where the filling is as runny as syrup. And it's because people will not check the temperature in their ovens. They just expect it to be correct. If you bake a PP pie at less than proper temperature you'll end up with a disgusting runny pie.

by Anonymousreply 174November 21, 2022 12:10 PM

Re parsnip pie. I made a turnip pie once. It was revolting,

by Anonymousreply 175November 21, 2022 12:14 PM

We know about it. We just don’t eat it. It seems so………. …….. ethnic. And not in a fun way.

Sweet potatoes are a baked side dish. Not a pie.

by Anonymousreply 176November 21, 2022 12:37 PM

Soul Food is delicious. That's why white people love to hire black cooks

by Anonymousreply 177November 21, 2022 3:45 PM

Uh, no R117. White people whose main diet is “soul food” can’t afford to hire cooks. White people who can afford a cook, don’t dine often on soul food.

by Anonymousreply 178November 21, 2022 4:13 PM

R178 doesn’t know wealthy southerners

by Anonymousreply 179November 21, 2022 8:49 PM

I didn't until a southerner told me about it. It is superior to pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 180November 21, 2022 8:53 PM

Sweet Potato Pie? I do think my dear friend Louisa d'Andelot Carpenter served this evocative pie. Louisa had a black cook, don't you know. My Irish cook Mary would be very cross with me if I asked her to bake a Sweet Potato Pie.

by Anonymousreply 181November 21, 2022 8:59 PM

My chef Louis has an enormous black coc*

by Anonymousreply 182November 21, 2022 9:31 PM

Sweet potato pie on the news

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 21, 2022 10:53 PM

There is only sweet potato pie. Pumpkin pie eaters, I don’t know you.

by Anonymousreply 184November 21, 2022 10:56 PM

Pumpkin pie is popular in the North and sweet potato in the South because of weather. Until relatively recently sweet potatoes were not grown in the North, shorter season varieties have been developed now but most sweet potatoes like hot summers and a long growing season.

Silver daddy Scott Horsley at NPR made sweet potato pie as part of their inflation fighting office meal. Pumpkin is apparently triple the cost of sweet potato by weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185November 21, 2022 11:40 PM

r15 your post is ancient, but something about that poor woman making pies year after year, and her cunt coworkers ignoring it makes me sad. Glad she found someone that appreciates her efforts.

by Anonymousreply 186November 21, 2022 11:45 PM

Op I prefer it to pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 187November 21, 2022 11:47 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 188November 23, 2022 8:49 PM

[quote] We know about it. We just don’t eat it. It seems so………. …….. ethnic. And not in a fun way.

Mary. Get over yourself. Who's "we," anyway.

by Anonymousreply 189November 23, 2022 9:20 PM

You all sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 190November 23, 2022 9:22 PM

[quote] Pecan pie is not an easy pie to make for some people. I'm 69 years old and I can't count the number of pecan pies I've been served in various homes where the filling is as runny as syrup. And it's because people will not check the temperature in their ovens. They just expect it to be correct. If you bake a PP pie at less than proper temperature you'll end up with a disgusting runny pie.

I've made pecan pies and I'm not a great baker. IMO, super easy with a huge pay-off. Pecan pie is *always* the most popular dessert based on leftovers. Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream helps.

Anyway, my "secret" is to just check on the pie while it's in the oven (just like checking a cake). Stick a knife in it and look at the knife. You'll be able to tell if the filling is set up.

by Anonymousreply 191November 23, 2022 9:23 PM

I’ve never had it. Is it a savoury dish?

by Anonymousreply 192November 23, 2022 9:25 PM

No, R192, it's a sweet dish, a dessert.

Maybe I've not had a good iteration of it, but I think I prefer pumpkin pie and I don't even like pumpkin pie that much. As mentioned, the texture of pumpkin pie is better, not so dense.

As far as spices, you could probably put all the same pumpkin pie spices into a sweet potato pie.

Kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) is really delicious. IMO, there is potential for pie.

by Anonymousreply 193November 23, 2022 9:29 PM

Are you kidding, R192? The sugar content of sweet potato pie will set your teeth on edge.

by Anonymousreply 194November 23, 2022 9:30 PM

I am about to have some sweet potato pie

by Anonymousreply 195November 24, 2022 8:36 PM

Battle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 25, 2022 3:38 AM

I recently bought one of each at the store to sample them side by side, because eaten one at a time, they are so similar. There is a distinct flavor and texture difference. Pumpkin has a slightly more complex flavor. I love them both. Both are prepared in similar ways. You are basically preparing a kind of custard (eggs beaten with the starches, sugar and a spice mix, and then thinned before baking, often using evaporated milk.

Although pumpkin spice is commonly a mix of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, with a hint of cloves, there are lots of different pumpkin pie spice mixes on the spice rack, each one with its own flavor profile. I prefer Spice Hunter , which has cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves, cardoman, star anise, fennel and black pepper. It's a much richer and more complex profile than say, McCormick, which has cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.

Pumpkin pie can actually be made with almost any kind of winter squash. Most of the cans in the store actually contain butternut squash rather than pumpkin. Pumpkins and other winter squash are easy to grow in the North and Midwest and were a staple carbohydrate of fall and winter ever since the native Americans showed the British settlers how to grow them, because they are a native of the Americas. They will get fully ripe by the end of August or early September and can then be stored until ready for use, protected by their hard shells. Sweet potatoes need a longer growing season and cannot be successfully grown in the north without a lot of special care. Pumpkin pie is a good way to eat them because the pulp is pureed. Many people find that simply baking squash will cause a lot of flatulence because of the hard-to-digest fibers found in the pulp. Sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber too but are generally easier to digest.

by Anonymousreply 197November 25, 2022 8:25 AM

Peanut butter pie?

by Anonymousreply 198November 25, 2022 2:25 PM

Adding maple syrup to pumpkin pie changes the game completely. Especially if you use a dark maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 199November 25, 2022 2:26 PM

You fat gay Yankees need to shut up with dissing the south, that's until you stop eating things like beef tongue, you have to peel the skin off before eating it, that disgusting. It's what we feed dogs down here, if they'll eat it.

by Anonymousreply 200November 25, 2022 7:28 PM

Essence Magazine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 26, 2022 1:13 AM

Yankees eat beef tongue?

by Anonymousreply 202November 26, 2022 1:26 AM

Just chiming in as a northerner who dislikes grits and iced tea.

by Anonymousreply 203November 26, 2022 1:34 AM

Typical

by Anonymousreply 204November 26, 2022 1:39 AM

I'm not southern, but there are a lot of delicious southern foods indeed. Yankees have their own version of grits, called cornmeal mush. But grits are tastier with a better texture. Southern foods are not generally represented in the north except by "ex-pat" southerners who have moved to the north and have opened soul food restaurants and other southern-style restaurants. Southern cuisine is still an exotic cuisine in the north, midwest, and far west but it's probably the richest culinary native tradition in the US. Much of US cuisine (in the rest of the country) is based upon the population who settled in the north - heavily German, English, and Irish - none of whose cultures are renowned for delicious cookery. It was the contact between black slaves, the foods and techniques they brought from Africa, native cultures and their ability to cook foods native to this continent, , and Spanish and French colonial cuisines that combined to create southern cuisine. I'm from the Northwest, but I recognized good food when I taste it, and a lot of southern food is good food.

by Anonymousreply 205November 26, 2022 2:10 AM

Northern restaurants really mess up southern and soil foods by making them blander, less seasoned, less spicy, less sweet. They can’t even get the sacred sweet tea right

by Anonymousreply 206November 26, 2022 2:17 AM

Grits should not be eaten by Yankees, theyare not worthy. Stick to the corn meal mush aka polenta, which they pay a lot for, it's fucking corn meal yet they look down on grits. And for gods sake, DO NOT put sugar on grits, it's corn not wheat.

by Anonymousreply 207November 26, 2022 2:53 AM

Pumpkin Pie- the hard way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 26, 2022 3:04 AM

White Southerners often kvell about other custard pies like Chess Pie or its relatives Buttermilk Pie and Fudge Pie.

by Anonymousreply 209November 26, 2022 3:10 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 210December 2, 2022 4:50 PM

R207 - rather than mush, I've always had polenta served as a solid item more like cornbread. Since it is considered some sort of lip-smacking delicacy, I broke down and tried shrimp and grits a while back. It was difficult for me to get through the meal, ugh!

Unlike many people, I do like okra (though NOT gumbo). I can't understand this fascination with macaroni and cheese, which I find boring at best.

I once asked an acquaintance from Mississippi what would be considered Northern food to him? After thinking about it for a moment, he replied "applesauce".

by Anonymousreply 211December 2, 2022 5:37 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 212December 9, 2022 5:49 PM

Only the Poors eat such things

by Anonymousreply 213December 9, 2022 5:50 PM

Goddam Yankee Jew, stop appropriatin'

by Anonymousreply 214December 9, 2022 5:50 PM

Other than both being orange (pumpkin pie is more brownish, actually) I have never thought of pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie as being similar. I don't think they "taste the same", as some people here have mysteriously said. Strangely, there are articles online with titles like, "Pumpkin and sweet potato - what's the difference?"

I always liked (the more yellow, and delicate-flavored) squash pie.

by Anonymousreply 215December 9, 2022 6:38 PM

He’s so my type bro

by Anonymousreply 216December 11, 2022 6:36 PM

Black friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217December 18, 2022 5:09 PM

I'm Southern and don't care for sweet potato pie. Pumpkin is ok. Not of pecan either.

by Anonymousreply 218December 18, 2022 5:27 PM

The only way I will eat sweet potatoes is with butter, salt and pepper. It doesn't need more sugar. Don't even start me on that sweet potato casserole shit.

by Anonymousreply 219December 18, 2022 5:31 PM

Yummy

by Anonymousreply 220December 20, 2022 9:40 PM

Pumpkin pie is miles better than sweet potato. Congrats on making it into a pie but I will always make mashed sweet potatoes and enjoy it far more

by Anonymousreply 221December 20, 2022 9:44 PM

You realize that almost all of you extolling the virtues of pumpkin pie are likely eating pies with almost no pumpkin but plenty of butternut squash?

by Anonymousreply 222December 20, 2022 10:17 PM

Only white people not “invited to the picnic” think pumpkin pie is better than sweet potato pie. They are the same folks who DONT season their food and drink unsweetened tea.

by Anonymousreply 223December 20, 2022 10:51 PM

R223 Sweet potatoes are not an exclusive foodstuff for black twitter, sorry. I just prefer them either baked or mashed, and consider the pie form to be mediocre

by Anonymousreply 224December 20, 2022 11:09 PM

While Democrats outperformed in 2022 sufficiently to avoid the worst effects of the historic midterm falloff phenomenon, the party’s overall vote total in 2022 was down by roughly 9.1 million from 2018. On the other hand, the Republicans saw their vote total rise by roughly 3.6 million from 2018 to 2022.

If Democrats had been able to mobilize their voters as effectively in 2022 as they did in 2018, or if they had simply averted a larger proportion of the drop-off, their chances of keeping the House would have dramatically improved. That’s not something that can be undone in 2022. But it is something Democrats should be thinking about as they advance toward the presidential and congressional elections of 2024 and the midterm congressional elections of 2026.

by Anonymousreply 225December 21, 2022 9:56 PM

I think it reflects differences. White Northerners prefer less sweet foods, southerners and black people generally prefer very sweet foods.

by Anonymousreply 226December 24, 2022 12:21 PM

Never had it

by Anonymousreply 227December 24, 2022 12:22 PM

You must live a very sheltered life apart from black culture r227. That’s amazing

by Anonymousreply 228December 24, 2022 12:32 PM

Teamm8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 26, 2022 7:15 PM

Adding red curry to pumpkin or squash soup carries the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 26, 2022 7:46 PM

Or try curried soup with sweet potatoes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 26, 2022 7:53 PM

Thanksgiving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 8, 2023 1:11 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 233March 11, 2023 4:01 PM

Sweet potato pie is for The Poors.

by Anonymousreply 234March 11, 2023 4:07 PM

I find it superior to pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 235March 11, 2023 4:17 PM

Was that the type of pie offered as a bribe in Shawshank Redemption?

by Anonymousreply 236March 11, 2023 4:21 PM

Pumpkin pie filling that’s canned is not made from discarded Jack O’ Lanterns but is actually squash, giving all of you a third thing to argue about: squash pie.

by Anonymousreply 237March 11, 2023 4:52 PM

Non-southern white people tend to have delicate palates that dislike spicy, flavorful, and sweet foods. It’s amazing how different their palates are

by Anonymousreply 238March 11, 2023 5:23 PM

White Southerner here from a very old family. Never had it. Never been served it. Never seen it served. I think it's a black thing. Or maybe a poor rural thing.

by Anonymousreply 239March 11, 2023 6:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!