Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mountain Lions

How does DL not have a thread dedicated to these magnificent beasts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2021 9:28 PM

Cool video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2021 2:18 AM

Beautiful from afar. Would never want to cross paths with one.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2021 2:36 AM

They have an enormous range through North, Central and South America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2021 2:59 AM

R3, I didn't know they were non-existent in most of the eastern half of the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2021 3:08 AM

I keep hearing about people who say they have seen them in the eastern states. It sounds like people in the wildlife management business don't want to acknowlege that mountain lions have a much larger range in an effort to keep the lions safe.

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]How does DL not have a thread dedicated to these magnificent beasts?

Because we're not the fucking Marty Stouffer and this isn't fucking "Wild America," OP.

Not to mention the pussy involved.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2021 3:17 AM

R4, I had a friend who grew up in the back woods of Vermont, who insisted that she would hear their distinctive shrieks from time to time. I've read that the government would have to develop a species protection plan if it were formally acknowledged that mountain lions still live in the East (other than Florida). The same issue is at stake acknowledging that jaguars still live in the SW US.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2021 3:17 AM

Awww

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2021 3:20 AM

Don’t we have more than enough pussies on this site already?

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2021 3:21 AM

I LOVE Mountain Lions/Cougars/Pumas/Panthers.

There was a cougar spotted off and on throughout my childhood in New Mexico. I did a “report” on them when I was in third grade, then spent time studying them as I got older.

I really like the Columbus Zoo which is in the county I live in now, but there is one thing I liked more about the Minnesota Zoo... they had a Cougar. I always went to see if when I was there. I’ve heard the Columbus Zoo (which, if you aren’t familiar is an excellent zoo) is getting a group of cougars. I’ll be excited to see them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2021 3:49 AM

Apex predators. We have at least one roaming Griffith Park and those Hollywood Hills.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2021 4:06 AM

They’ve been spotted within a couple of blocks of my home here in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2021 4:30 AM

I don't know about mountain lions, but my city has a lot of cougars!

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2021 6:05 AM

How do those who hike into the Grand Canyon avoid them?

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2021 6:10 AM

We’re not cougars we’re mountain lions

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2021 6:11 AM

This suggests the similar panther was once throughout the Southeast but is now limited to South Florida. The more commi Bobcats can get pretty big., I suppose, and be mistaken for a panther or mountain lion?:

“In the southeastern U.S., panthers formerly ranged throughout Florida, as far west as Arkansas and as far north as South Carolina. Today only about 120-230 adult panthers exist, primarily in southwest Florida.”

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2021 6:20 AM

Mountain lions. They’re neither mountains nor lions. Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2021 6:42 AM

R16, It's the same species throughout the Americas, divided into separate subspecies, and going by different common names. The Eastern cougar is supposedly extinct, although there have been recent sightings. Bobcats are smaller and more common. There was a recent finding of a dead bobcat near my home in SW Ohio. Their looks are pretty distinct: bobcats have short tails and tufted ears, while mountain lions have rounded ears and long tails, and are much larger. Bobcats have been reclaiming their former range, and I think mountain lions are doing the same, though not as successfully as bobcats.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2021 6:49 AM

The map at R1 shows no mountain lions on east coast except for a red dot in Florida. How did they get to Florida but are not in any other states?

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2021 6:52 AM

The yellow range on the map indicates their former range, where they're now extinct (extirpated). Their range used to be continuous from the West coast to the East coast (including Florida). The Florida subspecies has a Species Protection Plan in place to protect them.

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2021 7:32 AM

I’d be honored if one ate me

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2021 7:35 AM

I witnessed a cougar attack once years ago, two of them teaming up, in fact. The poor twink server was utterly bewildered, but we could tell by the gleam in those ladies' eyes that they knew what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2021 8:03 AM

There was a mountain lion hit by an SUV in Connecticut in 2011. DNA testing traced its origin back to South Dakota. They chalked it up as a male in search for a mate -- apparently the males will travel huge distances. The females won't travel like that, so apart from fluke males it's unlikely that populations of mountain lions will show up very far from current their territory.

Here in rural PA, a lot of people claim to have seen them. Farms often have pits where livestock carcasses end up; farmers have claimed to see them hanging out around those. The state's natural resource department's official position is: "There are no breeding populations of mountain lions in PA." Which does not preclude the possibility of lone males having ended up here.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2021 9:19 AM

So many species of big cats. Why are there no big dogs?

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2021 10:55 AM

DL had a thread on this topic a while back, I believe.

"People vanishing in national parks."

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2021 11:29 AM

R24, Domesticated them.

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2021 11:30 AM

Roar roar I wonder if they have them at the zoo

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2021 3:40 PM

Some years back, a couple in their 60s were hiking in a local state park when the husband was attacked by a mountain lion. The wife successfully fought off the lion with a ball-point pen by stabbing it in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2021 4:17 PM

r7, you are absolutely correct

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2021 4:31 PM

They're the largest cats that can purr!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2021 4:49 PM

lol

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] Don’t we have more than enough pussies on this site already

Yes, and they're known for their incessant hissing. Don't feed or pet them!

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]So many species of big cats. Why are there no big dogs?

Dire wolves were pretty damn big. They didn't live that long ago in geological time.

Maybe because dogs hunt in packs and cats tend to hunt alone?

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2021 5:13 PM

Remember that O'Possum in the bathroom? No longer a problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2021 5:38 PM

Please call me by my correct name

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2021 6:01 PM

This asshole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2021 6:13 PM

Mountain lions only make new when they maul Colorado housewives on their decks.

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2021 6:24 PM

Kill them all. They pose a threat to the cute twinks who jog across the greater LA area.

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2021 6:28 PM

R38, and those are just the oversexed, botoxed older women in the city. What about pumas?

by Anonymousreply 39January 1, 2021 6:37 PM

I grew up in Vermont and saw one in the late 1980s when I was in my early 20s and home from college for the summer. They've been declared extinct in Vermont, but there are still mountain lion sightings in Vermont every year. One summer evening, I was in a large field out behind our place walking with our pet domestic cat. Our cat would always follow me if I went on a nightly walk. I always brought a flashlight with me because you never knew what you might see--deer, moose, etc. I heard a noise and turned the flashlight in its direction and then I was frozen with shock. A mountain lion was just about 30-40 yards away. It was spooked by the flashlight. At first it was transfixed, then it turned and moved off toward the forest. I remember picking up my cat and hightailing it (pun intended) back to our home.

It looked like a juvenile. It wasn't huge, but it was still pretty big. I'll never forget its long tail as it turned and just melted into the high grass in the field. All the way back home (which was not at all far) I kept worrying it was going to pounce. The whole experience was so surreal.

A couple people tried to convince me it was either a bobcat or Canadian lynx. It was neither. It looked just like a mountain lion. It stood frozen for a bit so I got a really good look at it. It was that tan color with no spots and the ears were more rounded.

by Anonymousreply 40January 1, 2021 7:20 PM

I've seen a few. Most of the time they just mind their own business. They tend to only get aggressive if they are protecting cubs.

A friend who lived up the mountains had one who took up residence in his yard for a couple of weeks. The cat would lounge under a tree in his yard during the day and he assumed she liked the area because deer were plentiful and came through daily. He would put out leftovers for her from time to time but she mostly steered clear of them. She eventually moved on but never caused any issues.

by Anonymousreply 41January 1, 2021 7:48 PM

If you give them a ball of yarn, will they play with it?

by Anonymousreply 42January 1, 2021 7:52 PM

Meet "Messi".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2021 7:59 PM

Beautiful but terrifying

by Anonymousreply 44January 1, 2021 8:07 PM

Then you have well-intentioned but dumb folks like this Russian guy who rescued one from a roadside zoo and keeps it in his house for YouTube clicks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 1, 2021 8:42 PM

R45 is LITERALLY BORIS

by Anonymousreply 46January 1, 2021 8:56 PM

Can you spot the cougar?

I had to magnify the image before I could find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2021 12:30 AM

I've seen a few in my 45 years in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. All in a suburban environment.

As others have said, they aren't really that aggressive, but I've never been stupid enough to approach one.

Get out the phone and take pictures while slowly walking away (backwards).

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2021 12:37 AM

This guy in Utah is out for a walk when he spots what he assumes are Bobcats. Nope - they’re cougar cubs! And then mom is instantly nearly upon him. Scary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 2, 2021 1:00 AM

I had what might have been a close encounter with a mountain lion in Point Reyes, California. I was hiking and came up to a crowd of hikers gaping at something, and they said "There's a mountain lion RIGHT THERE!!!" I looked and didn't see anything, and then someone pointed up onto the ridge of a nearly hill and shrieked "THERE IT IS!!!".

She was, of course, pointing at a coyote. Well, maybe there was a mountain lion.

by Anonymousreply 50January 2, 2021 2:38 AM

R19 They arrived in Florida using "caravans" like illegal immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 51January 2, 2021 2:46 AM

There are occasional sightings in the Midwest and the Northeast. There certainly are plenty of bobcats. I was camping in WV a number of years ago and heard coy-wolf and bobcat. Oddly, no wild canines or cats were evident when I camped in the classic Southwestern parks.

by Anonymousreply 52January 2, 2021 3:30 AM

Mountain lions ain't scared of no one -- even grizzlies! They are actually much better efficient hunters/killers than bears (who are more opportunistic).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 2, 2021 3:46 AM

I always heard that you don't see them unless they want you to see them.

by Anonymousreply 54January 2, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote]She was, of course, pointing at a coyote.

She was probably pointing at a German Shepherd. They look exactly like mountain lions, apparently.

[quote]"I went outside to go look for my cat who had gotten out earlier and when I went outside I opened the door... I thought it was a German Shepherd at first, I was like 'oh, somebody's dog,'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 2, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] There are occasional sightings in the Midwest and the Northeast.

Yeah, I would think mountain lions would like the northern forests and woodlands of these states. It's odd that they don't have more of a presence there.

by Anonymousreply 56January 2, 2021 5:17 PM

They are reclaiming their territory. Here is an oldie but goodie: shot by Chicago police.

But I once saw two cougars at the Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky and that was twenty years ago. The reinvasion of the east by mountain lions has been going on for decades because of the emptying of rural America and the turn to factory farms has opened up the way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 2, 2021 5:52 PM

Just following the coyotes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 2, 2021 6:06 PM

Coyote with rabies attacks car in Charlotte, NC. Mountain Lions can't be far behind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 2, 2021 6:12 PM

Do you even lift bro?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 2, 2021 6:13 PM

Record number of mountain lion kittens born in LA area this past summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 2, 2021 6:26 PM

Man kills mountain lion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 2, 2021 7:23 PM

Southeast panther habitat. Large cat, different name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 2, 2021 7:29 PM

I live in Northern Ca. in the Redwoods. I have a trap cam about 100 yds behind our house where two streams meet. We are visited by mountain lions, California black bear, and a large family of deer. Plus the usual suspects. Racoon, Opossum, Fox, rodents, etc.

by Anonymousreply 64January 2, 2021 7:37 PM

When I was a kid my family had a cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains and they would leave tracks and other evidence that they roamed near the house at night. My grandparents were very careful with their pets lest they disappear at night.

We were staying once at Asilomar near Carmel, a forested retreat area on the beach, and there was a cougar kill one night we were there. The half eaten corpse of a deer was found next to a walking trail not far from the dining hall. They warned all the guests not to walk about alone after dark and stuff. We happened to pass by the corpse, it was chilling.

Cougars are all around where I live in Northern CA. I was on a hiking trail with a friend when up ahead we saw the hind end of a creature disappear into the bushes that looked like the back half of a mountain lion, but we couldn't be sure. We had to pass that way to exit the trail and did so after waiting a bit and being extra cautions.

My brother's dog was bitten by a cougar when he was hiking with the dog and a friend. The dog ran off trail, they heard a tussle and loud yelps when the dog reemerged with a large bite on his hip. The vet confirmed it was a cougar bite.

I have a healthy respect for them and will not hike alone. Although cougar killings of humans are rare, it would be a horrible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 65January 2, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote]Why are there no big dogs?

Hi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 3, 2021 4:53 PM

Trails at the Grand Canyon are generally crowded with people, and mountain lions are shy and reclusive. Even in national parks, sightings of mountain lions are rare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 3, 2021 4:56 PM

Several times over over the years I visited a friend's place on Lake Squam in New Hampshire. Almost every cottager I met had stories of mountain lion sightings. I never saw one but in that part of the continent also had lynx and bobcats.

Lots of wild turkeys in the woods near the Canadian border but if the cougars moved in they'd be fighting with coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 68January 3, 2021 5:06 PM

My other "encounter" with a mountain lion was about the same as at R50. Hiking, came to a group of people on the trial pointing at something they SWORE was a mountain lion.

It took me about 20 minutes to convince them that the large cat sitting in the middle of a grassy field was a bobcat and not a mountain lion, with nothing near the cat to provide scale and the grass just high enough to cover the tail, and with no internet access to look up pictures of either species, it took a while. Finally, the black-and-white markings on the ears convinced them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 3, 2021 10:21 PM

So cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 3, 2021 10:59 PM

South African DL’ers, do you live in an area where African lions, cheetah or leopard prowl? Or do they mostly stay within the boundaries of a park or game reserve?

by Anonymousreply 71January 3, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote]They arrived in Florida using "caravans" like illegal immigrants.

It helps to have some bait prepared.

by Anonymousreply 72January 4, 2021 12:19 AM

So majestic, so brave!

by Anonymousreply 73January 4, 2021 12:31 AM

I think wildlife have been taking advantage of quieter streets during Covid and have been coming into the cities more.

We've had it with wild goats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 4, 2021 1:02 AM

Edmonton police kill cougar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 4, 2021 5:50 AM

Beautiful animal.

by Anonymousreply 76January 4, 2021 6:39 AM

[quote]This is Philson. He is a scat sniffing dog with Rogue Detection Teams. He and his human, Jennifer, have been working with the Ca. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife looking for mountain lion scat.#roguedetectionteams. - Cuyamaca Rancho SP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 4, 2021 6:53 AM

Anyone here living on Vancouver Island? I've read that there are many of them there.

by Anonymousreply 78January 4, 2021 10:18 AM

Mountain lions are hardcore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 4, 2021 10:30 PM

Everytime I hike the mountain preserve in my neighborhood I get scared about the presence of mountain lions. Hikers get killed by those bad boys and I cant imagine it's an easy death. I also feel bad for the animals because they are in their own habitat and if they happen to kill a human they are hunted down and killed because they're a danger to humanity. Sucks either way

by Anonymousreply 80January 4, 2021 10:45 PM

I wonder how many are killed a year?

by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2021 12:30 AM

Omaha police take their turn. These guys look more likely to kill each other than the lion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2021 5:15 AM

The famous mountain lion of Griffith Park, P-22, is still roaming around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2021 8:31 PM

[quote]I didn't know they were non-existent in most of the eastern half of the U.S.

They’re not. R3’s map labels the yellow areas “extinct or severely depleted populations.” No where does it say they’re “non-existent.”

R5’s level of paranoia is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 84January 5, 2021 8:47 PM

R82 Jesus! How many bullets did they need?

by Anonymousreply 85January 5, 2021 9:28 PM

R82 Jesus! How many bullets did they need?

by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2021 9:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!