Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrities You Didn't Realize Were THAT Rich

I'd have to go with Elizabeth Taylor. Estimate net worth at $600M-$1B, probably closer to $1 Billion now. How?!

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2021 12:23 AM

Her fragrances were QUITE successful, for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2020 4:55 AM

Real estate, ex-husbands, jewelry and her perfume. She was one of the first celebrity fragrances. She made bank off of that.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2020 4:55 AM

Are people really still buying her fragrances? Damn. Her kids are fucking rich. Tell Mama!

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2020 4:59 AM

Although I know it now, I didn't realize that the Jessicas - Alba and Simpson - were so rich until a few years ago. I had written them off years ago but was surprised to learn how savvy they are.

And, of course, thanks to the current thread, Jami Gertz.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2020 4:59 AM

Until a few years ago, I didn’t know Julia Louis-Dreyfus was so rich. She’s a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2020 5:01 AM

Mike Todd's death was probably the best thing that ever happened to Elizabeth Taylor, regarding money.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2020 5:04 AM

I seem to remember that Ryan O'Neal is extremely wealthy due to real-estate investments. IIRC he still lives in the same Malibu beach house that he purchased in the late 60s (I want to say).

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2020 5:07 AM

Fragrances bring in the bucks if you have a good lawyer. Paris Hilton has 200 million plus - all her own money, and she hasn't merchandised anything but fragrances for years.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2020 5:14 AM

Did Julia Louis-Dreyfus actually inherit anything from her father? I thought he bequeathed his fortune to his poorer children and to charity?

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2020 5:15 AM

No, Louis-Dreyfus is not a billionaire, R5.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2020 5:19 AM

[quote]Did Julia Louis-Dreyfus actually inherit anything from her father? I thought he bequeathed his fortune to his poorer children and to charity?

He left most of it to his widow to handle. Her father had Julia with his first wife, then two more children with her step-mother. Sadly, only one is currently alive. He also has a son. She said at some point, she might be a billionaire but she isn't at the moment. However, the majority of the business isn't even handled by that branch of the family. Her step-mother might be worth around 9.8 billion. Whatever she gets will come through that and will be split between her two surviving siblings.

I had no idea that Lauren Bowles from True Blood and VEEP was her sister through her mother until I went digging all that up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2020 5:34 AM

[quote]Until a few years ago, I didn’t know Julia Louis-Dreyfus was so rich. She’s a billionaire.

Comedian Nick Kroll and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's Ellie Kemper also come from wealthy families.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2020 5:40 AM

This is a little off point but celebrities who are “low key really wealthy”, or much richer than you would think. Like Mark Harmon who I read a way while back got 500k/ep for NCIS. So he’s beyond loaded. Or even someone like Courtney Thorne-Smith, not quite a household name, but she’s gone straight from one series to another for over 30 years (and on networks that pay well), plus hawking for Botox, Atkins etc - again low key but she must be worth a lot - and if she invested well, a sizeable fortune.

Those cases are always interesting to me. And on TV anyway it’s the actors on the uncool big 3 network shows that get high ratings but no one talks about - or certainly no magazine covers.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2020 6:36 AM

R13 David Boreanaz hasn't stopped doing TV since Buffy. He must be loaded

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2020 7:09 AM

There was always talk of Daryl Hannah being from a wealthy family, which leads to the question why she would have stayed with Jackson Brown who beat her.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2020 7:23 AM

Patrick Fabian, who has mostly been a supporting actor in shitty movies and a recurring actor on TV shows (most notably 'Better Call Saul'), recently bought an $11M beachside mansion in Malibu!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2020 7:55 AM

Mike Todd had some kind of filmmaking patent that is still used today (I'm too lazy to research it). She would have received all that money.

She left a lot of her money to fund AIDS research into perpetuity. Who knows if today's Undectables owe their health to her?

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2020 8:11 AM

Someone on another thread told how Alan Alda had made a fortune in real estate. He began buying up farms in the Hamptons decades ago, when real estate was cheap and farming was depressed, and he's slowly turned all those farms into luxury homes, and made a huge personal fortune by doing so.

Sure, he's been a well-paid actor for decades now, but if he never got the massive paydays some other actors did... he's fine without them.

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2020 9:03 AM

How the hell did Adam Sandler managed to accumulate $420 Millions?

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2020 11:21 AM

Bobbie Gentry is apparently worth $100 million. Apparently she demanded 10% of the profits from the film version of Ode To Billie Joe and 15% of it's future royalties, was a co-owner of the Phoenix Suns basketball team, owns plenty of real estate, and even earned $3 million when Reba McEntire did a cover of her song, Fancy.

It's no wonder she hasn't done music since 1982. With all her money she doesn't need to perform.

by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2020 11:29 AM

Little Justin Bieber is worth $285 Million and is still depressed.

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2020 11:30 AM

Ed Norton is worth $300 million, and not from acting. His grandfather made the money.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2021 9:24 PM

I actually don't think JLD is a billionaire - not that she's not very wealth; hundreds of millions of dollars. Her father didn't just given equal chunks to his kids. He left a lot to institutions and charities.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2021 10:05 PM

R15 she’s not rich now. She drives a used car.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2021 10:05 PM

Maybe the shitty perfume? I met my partner 16 years ago, right before Christmas. He mentioned that his mother loved this ‘fancy’ perfume that was made by Elizabeth Taylor. I knew that I saw it at Walgreens, but was polite and didn’t call his mother trailer park trash.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2021 10:11 PM

Cameron Mackintosh $1.6

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2021 10:12 PM

R25 I hope your partner tells a similar story about your shit family. You motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2021 10:13 PM

Andrew Lloyd Webber $1b

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote]Comedian Nick Kroll and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's Ellie Kemper also come from wealthy families.

Ellie Kemper seems quite humble and kind for coming from a wealthy Missouri family.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2021 10:15 PM

Liz’s uncle Howard was a prominent art dealer, and in the 50s and 60s got her to invest in a lot of Impressionist art. At one point she had one oc the largest private art collections in the country . She hated that Andy Warhol’s portrait of her was worth so much money and she didn’t get a free one.

Add in residuals from Todd AO, the fact that she got a percentage of the gross from her movies made after Mike Todd’s death, the perfume, and all the gifts she got from her men and her gays-no wonder she was loaded.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2021 10:22 PM

Ellie Kemper has aged like milk.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2021 10:23 PM

R27, she is a homophobe and Trump supporter. She still refuses to let us sleep in the same room when we visit (I haven’t visited in years for this reason).They happen to be the wealthiest family in a town of 550 people (lower middle class) but are millionaires in their mind because they have more than the others in their town. I probably should’ve provided context, I’m on my 3rd glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2021 10:25 PM

Glad I’m NOT you, r32

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2021 10:34 PM

2. No, Louis-Dreyfus is not a billionaire heiress. When a magazine asked about her father’s business, the Louis Dreyfus company, a commodities and shipping conglomerate, she set the record straight: Her father’s business is valued in billions. “It’s unbelievable, because whatever I do, people just assume it’s true,” she said. “Welcome to the fuckin’ Internet.” (For what it’s worth, after her lengthy career, Louis-Dreyfus is estimated to be worth around $200 million in her own right.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2021 10:45 PM

Helen Lawson has more money than God.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2021 10:54 PM

Julia Louis-Dreyfus net worth: $202 million (according to Google)

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2021 10:59 PM

$200m she doesn't need.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2021 11:04 PM

Would you mind elaborating on the perfume merchandising?

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2021 11:05 PM

I knew Sting was rich, but not "buy a $65 million penthouse at 220 Central Park South" rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2021 11:06 PM

Op & R1 Elizabeth Taylor made more from her fragrances than she did in all of her movies combined. And while her house was in an exclusive area of Bel Air, and its walls were decorated with works from Hals, Matisse, Monet, Renoir, & Cassatt among others, AND despite having one of the greatest and most valuable jewelry collections in the world, she her home and daily life were rather modest, considering what she was worth.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2021 11:17 PM

Yes, her house was pretty alright for a frau operation.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2021 12:05 AM

R19 Adam Sandler one his own production company, Happy Madison Productions. He makes his own movies with a relatively low budget that wield a high gross, so he rakes in the profit. Also in 2017, Netflix made a new deal giving Sandler $250 million to produce 4 movies, and in 2020(?) Netflix extended the deal for 4 new movies worth $275 million. I don’t how he finagled that deal with Netflix since he’s been putting out shitty movies for the last 2 decades. But there you are.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2021 12:12 AM

i knew Julia Louis-Dreyfus hadn't inherited much from her daddy when she did a Cars and Comedy episode and it showed that her home had street acess. I'm sure it was within a gated community but still you could walk right up to her place. I was like that's not a home of a woman with a billion to protect/spend.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2021 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!