Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays Tell Me About 1960's Television Program "The Fugitive"

MeTV has The Fugitive in their late Sunday night rotation so decided to watch for a bit.

Besides never knowing David Janssen was so handsome back in the day did some research and found out The Fugitive was a huge hit. Never stick with things long enough to watch finale, but seems it also ranked as one of best in television history.

Did people really follow The Fugitive weekly with such interest say like Dyansty decades later?

Just seems so odd to me that a man who is a convicted murderer (of his wife no less), continuously finds people week after week willing to aide and abet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2020 6:29 AM

OP, there's always a realistic mix of people who want to turn him in once they find out he's The Fugitive and people who want to abet him (sometimes in the form of the Girlfriend of the Week). A lot of people believe he's innocent, and his good character always seems to shine through.

David Janssen was a very sexy man during the show's run. That patch of chest hair and the tight pants... !

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2020 3:02 AM

For years Jansen was fucking Angie Dickinson when she had an hour open in her schedule and he could get away from his wife..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2020 3:07 AM

Oh yes, forgot about " Girlfriend of the Week"..... For a man on the run Dr. Richard Kimble surely wasn't lacking for want of female company.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2020 3:11 AM

The Fugitive was based on the true crime case of Dr. Sam Sheppard, who may or may not have killed his wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2020 3:12 AM

It was better than the 1993 movie with Harrison Ford.

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2020 3:16 AM

The connection to Sam Shepherd was tenuous at best.

It wasn't a soap with bitch slapping, it never aroused the interest associated with Dynasty, but lots of people watched it. It was a semi-anthology, he went to a new place and assumed a new identity every week, with occasional appearances by "the one armed man" or the police detective who obsessively followed him. Lots of appearances by people who later became famous like Bruce Dern, Robert Duvall, and Jack Klugman. It made me a fan of character actors.

It was Suzanne Pleshette who had the affair with Janssen.

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2020 3:24 AM

I remember watching the series finale...lots of red herrings before the big confrontation with the one-armed man.

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2020 3:27 AM

My mom told me a story about when she was a teenager, her family had an impromptu party on their lawn during the finale. They had the tv in their front picture window & had the side windows open so it could be heard outside. Lots of neighbors came over. Sounded like fun. Definite "appointment television" back then!

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2020 4:12 AM

It had the first series finale I remember, when he finally finds the one-armed man.

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2020 6:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!