Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hair Colorists: Blonde Over Grey

I'm fortunate to still have a thick head of hair at age 50. But it's 90% grey. If I dye it blonde will it look natural?

by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 5:26 PM

Not to everyone who knows your hair is mostly grey.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2020 10:36 PM

Yes. Go for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2020 10:36 PM

Is your ethnicity northern European?

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2020 10:36 PM

More natural than if you colored it any other color, in my experience. I love that look. A blonde tint on gray hair usually comes out a great color. Of course check your skin tones in good light and figure out if you need ash or golden or pale or sandy, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2020 10:37 PM

What's your skin/eye coloring OP?

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2020 10:39 PM

Does Dotard tRump's hair look natural?

by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2020 10:42 PM

OP if you have a part in your hair don't do it. Within a week your roots will start showing, if you don't have a part in your hair it will take longer to be noticeable but even if you like it be prepared for the routine of constant recoloring the roots.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2020 10:42 PM

True, R7, also, OP will not be able to do the roots himself. Doing roots properly requires someone else to do it on your head.

by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2020 10:43 PM

Make it platinum, OP, and the gray roots will complement the platinum color nicely

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2020 10:45 PM

I have fair coloring and blue eyes. My natural hair color before grey was dark blonde, but if I color it I'll go a lighter than that.

Since COVID I've only gotten my hair cut once, and it's now pretty long, down to my mouth (but it's styled in a wavy side style). It's the same length I had in college, and I think the grey is too aging.

I dunno. I'd hate to do it and hate it then end up cutting it all off. Could I try a temporary formula, like Just for Men?

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2020 10:59 PM

Don't use Just for Men. The color doesn't hold for more than a few shampoos.

OP, honestly, if you're going to get it done - it's best to go to a salon and a good stylist will know exactly what shades and undertones to use.

If you must use a box, go with L'Oreal Preference. It has the best, long-hold coverage for grey.

But I would suggest starting with a stylist and transition to box thereafter if price is an issue. But be sure to ask the stylist if they are going for cool/ash or warm/gold undertones so you know which box to use.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2020 11:04 PM

Thanks r11!

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2020 11:05 PM

A pale ash blonde, slightly warmer than gray, should look okay OP. I'm attaching a photo of a shade range that should work for you. Use purple shampoo in between visits to prevent it from going brassy - it really works. And DO NOT let anyone talk you into highlights because those can easily look very dated. If anything, go for lowlights, especially if you have any areas that are more salt and pepper than solid colored. Go for it! What's the worst that could happen? If it looks like ass, you can easily change it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2020 11:12 PM

Great post R11. This is what I would suggest too OP. Get it done in a salon first time, watch carefully and then do it yourself from then on. The most natural way would be to get foils so not all the hair was colored. Once you are 90% gray as you stated in your OP there is no way you can go to having 100% colored hair otherwise it will look badly fake (the blond equivalent of boot polish with harsh regrowth).

I'd get two colors - a dark blonde and a lighter blonde (in whichever tone suits your skin) using foils/wrap and color approximately only 60% of your hair. Using foils/wrap would mean that you don't get harsh looking root regrowth either.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 11:12 PM

Are you planning to get your hair color done professionally?

I had a middle-aged male colleague who dyed his hair "blonde." I'm not sure what his pre-gray hair color was, but he had blue or green eyes. His dyed hair looked yellow. He was unpopular and another colleague commented that his hair looked like he used Kool-Aid to color his hair.

Point is: blonde can be tricky.

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] Get it done in a salon first time, watch carefully and then do it yourself from then on.... I'd get two colors - a dark blonde and a lighter blonde (in whichever tone suits your skin) using foils/wrap and color approximately only 60% of your hair.

R14, you've got to be kidding. I'd like to hear back from OP to see if he would be willing to try to do this.

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2020 11:14 PM

Yellow hair on old people always looks fake.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2020 11:15 PM

It will look beautiful, OP. Stunning.

Tell your colorist you want the "Michael Alig" and not "The Rachel."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2020 11:20 PM

No I'm not kidding R16. That's what will look the most natural and show the least regrowth. Reading my post - I don't think I've made myself clear enough OP.

You can't dump a box of blond color on your hair and cover 100% of your hair otherwise it will look horribly fake, everyone will clearly see the hair color and you will get solid lines of regrowth. Everyone will laugh at you and think you are an old queen.

I don't know if everyone else posting in this thread is a trained and experienced colorist but I am. I don't do it any longer but I know what I'm talking about.

If money isn't too much of an issue then do what I have suggested with the foils/2 colors and only 60% coverage of your hair. It will look excellent.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote] Yellow hair on old people always looks fake.

I beg your pardon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote] I don't know if everyone else posting in this thread is a trained and experienced colorist but I am. I don't do it any longer but I know what I'm talking about.

R19, I'm not doubting your knowledge. I'm doubting that the average person is willing & able to do this at home (two different hair colors, foils, but only on 70% of your hair).

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2020 11:25 PM

R20 - Graham gets that done in a salon. It's professional.

60% R21. And I totally agree that the average person won't be able to do this at home on their own.

I posted best outcome scenario so that OP looks great and OP can make his own decision on whether to get it done in a salon or look like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2020 11:31 PM

A buddy at the gym who showers there dyes his hair dark brown, but his thick bush is naturally medium blonde. It looks very weird. In his case, he should dye his bush the same dark brown color. Would you have the same issue if you dyed your head and then the carpet does not match the drapes?

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2020 11:35 PM

R14 that's probably more work than I could maintain. Also, in my 20s I got highlights once and hated it -- looked like a calico cat with three different shades of hair.

I like the ash blonde idea . I'll find a good colorist and see what he/she advises. I wanted to put the idea out here first to determine if it was even a good idea or not.

The pic below is my hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2020 11:35 PM

This is a good dye job, but you'd have to have it done professionally- to weave the gray with the gold. Obviously he's of the age where he's all-gray now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2020 11:37 PM

What color is your chest hair, OP? I'm just a bit younger than you, and grey chest hair started coming in on my pecs this past year while the hair on my head is still solid brown (even though I keep it in a buzzcut).

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2020 11:50 PM

Chest hair is still mostly light brown with a few greys.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2020 11:51 PM

What about your asshole hair?

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2020 11:59 PM

How do I bump up my white hair into Mike Pence territory? Is that platinum?

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2020 12:01 AM

Find that Marilyn Monroe thread where her hairdresser gives her a quick solution using common drug store products to dye her pubes.

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2020 12:03 AM

You've got a great hairline and gentle curl/body R24.

Foils aren't highlights - foils are a way of controlling how much hair gets colored. What I have suggested is similar to Jeff Bridges hair color in R25. The gray is still there and the color is believable. That's about 75% coverage and is applied with foils/comb through.

Just don't dump a box of color on your head is all I suggest. 60% colored and 40% gray. I'm right about this.

With a bit of practice you could comb/brush through the color on your own at home. There are HEAPS of YouTube videos on how to do this yourself at home.

Anyway - good luck! Best to get it done in a salon the first time if you aren't familiar with coloring hair.

by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2020 12:06 AM

It's already dyed blonde, Kellyanne. We've seen your grey roots.

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2020 12:10 AM

OP, if your goal is to look natural, then forget about adding color. Almost nobody over 50 looks naturally blond, even with the best artifice.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2020 2:41 AM

Don't try to go ginger like Redford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2020 2:58 AM

R14 I've always admired Martha's color, would this work on me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2020 3:03 AM

Your hair is already so grey you should work with what you’ve got and just use a blue or purple shampoo and get a platinum look.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2020 3:10 AM

R35 / OP, I'm not the professional colorist, but I think Martha Stewart's color would work on you. Maybe toned down a little.

But ... I don't think you realize yet ... This is not going to be DIY, not going to be cheap, and I think the maintenance (time, frequency, and money commitment) will be more than you anticipate.

Your hair looks great to me, already.

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2020 4:10 AM

Why not get wig?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2020 4:11 AM

Is Melania's hair a wig??? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2020 4:27 AM

Gordon keeps it fresh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2020 6:29 AM

They’re all gonna laugh at you, op.

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2020 6:44 AM

OP/R24, your hair looks great as-is, honestly. Leave it!

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2020 7:30 AM

JFM Control GX blonde shampoo once or twice a week after shade is achieved. John Freida Blond highlight shampoo and blond conditioner everyday. My hair soaks up the Freida stuff.

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2020 7:57 AM

There is nothing that looks more fake than dyed blond hair. Real hair, whatever color, is comprised of more colors of hair than you can count. All together they make up the hue of the hair. Dyed hair is only one color. The darker dye jobs can get away with it, but blond can not. It's bad enough on a female but dyed blond hair is 10 times worse on a man. It makes a woman look trampy and makes a man look stupid.

Here's a prime example of dyed blond hair on a man. It looks like doll hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2020 8:30 AM

I'm with r42, OP / r24. Your hair looks really good as is. You've got fantastic tone, volume and thickness. Don't do anything but take excellent care of it.

by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2020 8:37 AM

Grey hair on a man is hot. Don’t dye it OP!

by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2020 9:48 AM

OP, I said above I love blonde toner on gray hair, but after looking at your gorgeous hair, I predict if you color it, you will go from hot daddy to auntie.

R44, you are correct about the hair in the photo. The one-color factor is because it has to be bleached out extremely pale and then toned (dyed with a pale color) blonde. That's why gray hair can look really great with a blonde toner. It doesn't have to be bleached, and it retains that quality of having every hair a slightly different color.

by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2020 11:55 AM

50? It's over, dear, no matter what ghastly color your hair is.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2020 12:04 PM

Women can get away with a certain amount of artifice that men just can't. It's always obvious when an older man dyes his hair. He's trying to be something he isn't. It looks great now. Push the platinum or leave it alone.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2020 12:22 PM

Leave some grey in. You're not fooling anybody. So make it a stylistic gesture rather than a hapless attempt at trying to look younger.

by Anonymousreply 50December 28, 2020 12:22 PM

OP, make sure you try a sample on your skin first. Get Just For Men and try some on your elbow for a few hours to see if you get an allergic reaction to it (itching bad). Prof colorists use the same ingredients. Reactions happen to about 10% of guys. If so, you got to use Henna or something else.

by Anonymousreply 51December 28, 2020 12:45 PM

OK after reading the comments I'm leaning towards keeping it, but will still consult with a colorist in person to make up my mind. I don't dislike my grey -- I finally embraced it when I turned 50 in February and have been enjoying growing it out (used to have haircuts every 4 weeks). And I'm not trying to look younger, it's just that I caught my reflection in a mirror at the grocery store and was shocked at how grey/white my hair was. It's like I turned into my dad overnight.

But I'd hate to have taken the time and trouble to grow it out this long to risk hating the color (and look like an "auntie" as R47 put it LOL) and cut it all of again.

Ugh to be continued....

by Anonymousreply 52December 28, 2020 1:19 PM

This look would be flattering for any man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2020 2:08 PM

I've been fighting with my cousin for 40 years and counting about Krystle Carrington hair color: he pretends she has premature grey hair and I say she has ash ash ash blond hair (geez, just look at her roots man, if you're a man). My cousin in the meantime got 80 gray hair and I still have none. I win. OP, will you too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!