Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lizabeth Scott fans - mystery solved!

I am a big fan of Lizabeth Scott, and always wondered why she was not a bigger star since she was in so many (primarily film noir) movies. So today I did some investigative research and this is what I found out:

They thought she was a queer!

In September 1954, a front-page story in the magazine Confidential claimed that Scott was a lesbian and was linked to “the little black books kept by Hollywood prostitutes”. It was also said that on a trip to Paris she had taken up with Frede, that city's most notorious lesbian entertainer.

Anyone old enough to remember this "scandal"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2020 11:05 PM

No, but Scott was a lez lez. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2020 10:40 PM

I read in some noir book that she used to hang out at a lesbian bar in North Hollywood or Studio City. Was Mercedes McCambridge really a lesbian? Same rumors. Also, Gail Patrick, whom I admire.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2020 10:41 PM

You really think she could have become a bigger star? She was an odd one. Her voice didn’t really match her look. Her style of film was really becoming dated by the mid 50s, I really don’t see how she would have fitted into the Hollywood firmament in the 60s.

Having said that, she may have been an interesting alternative casting choice for Mrs. Robinson. I can imagine her with her slight lisp saying “I’m not trying to seduce you”.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2020 11:12 PM

I could also imagine her getting in with the Warhol crowd in the 70s and maybe playing those Sylvia Miles type roles.

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2020 11:17 PM

Did anyone hear her record? It was pretty decent.

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2020 11:43 PM

I love her. The first time I saw her, in Too Late for Tears, I couldn't tell if she was a wooden actress or a good actress playing a wooden woman. But I loved the movie so much, I chased down all her films and while she's no Great Thespian, she is always fun to watch. (I particularly like her as a blowsy, brassy bitch in, I believe its called, The Racket. She lived a quiet life once her career was over but had pretty solid finances. She was reportedly very active in the LA arts scene, on a few museum committees and the like. I would have loved to have met her. She seemed like a genuinely good person.

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2020 12:49 AM

Have at her girls. Eight parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2020 1:07 AM

She was always picking pubic hair out of her teeth...

Not really my kind of girl

And her breath was kind of fishy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2020 1:07 AM

Emma Matzo (RIP).

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2020 1:21 AM

Gail Patrick was fascinating, r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2020 1:27 AM

In other news, the sky is blue on a clear day.

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2020 2:33 AM

OP, she was a pretty big star in her time.

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2020 3:34 AM

Her Wiki page...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2020 3:50 AM

From her 2015 obituary in the Los Angeles Times:

[quote] Actress Lizabeth Scott, whose sultry looks and smoky voice led many a man astray in 1940s and ‘50s film noir, died Jan. 31 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. She was 92. The cause was congestive heart failure, said her longtime friend MARY! Goodstein.

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2020 5:56 AM

The Warner’s producer Hal Wallis signed her to a contract and cast her in movies to build her up as the next best thing. The critics didn’t like her and the public didn’t take to her either and the industry knew she was Wallis’ side piece.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2020 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!