Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Knots Landing (1979-1993)

"Knots Landing" premiered forty-one years ago tonight on December 27, 1979.

Were you a fan of the show or watch first-run episodes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2020 8:57 PM

Season 7 opening intro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2020 9:35 PM

I didnt watch it from the beginning. I was at someones house and they had it on...it was the episode where Ciji was having a launch party and the camera panned to the bottom of the cliffs showing her body being beaten against the rocks by the ocean waves. I WAS HOOKED...and Donna Mills ? I loved her. She was better than Alexis on Dynasty in my opinion. Her storylines were more realistic. And people bash Constance McCashin on here, but I loved the Laura character...especially playing off William Devane.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2020 9:40 PM

This is one of the best shows of all time. The cast was really excellent. Someone like Joan Van Ark who will obnoxiously insist upon white gloves for her character in the pilot just doesn’t exist in the business anymore. The cast all fought to maintain the integrity of their characters and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2020 9:42 PM

Cul-De-Sac Chic

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2020 9:43 PM

I caught it occasionally as a teenager, but it never really grabbed me. Then I saw an episode when Michelle Phillips joined the cast and I was hooked. Loved Abby (what little I'd seen of her) but Anne was more fun, less evil. I always felt like she'd do whatever it took to get what she wanted, but if at all possible she'd do the decent thing. She could also be pretty fucking hilarious at times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2020 9:45 PM

Steve Shaw, who was killed in a car accident in December 1990, is buried at Grand View Cemetery in Glendale, CA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2020 9:45 PM

Page was the best role Nicolette Sheridan ever had. And she stole the show every time. She was what Heather Locklear aspired to be.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2020 9:46 PM

I was around back then yet I've never seen even a single episode of Knots Landing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2020 9:55 PM

That this goddamned fucking show has not been released on DVD past Season 2 when even that POS Falcon Crest is available is a goddamned TRAVESTY. RELEASE THE SAC!

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2020 9:56 PM

Husband and I bought all 14 seasons bootleg on Etsy, we’ve been plowing through them and currently in season 8. Karen was just kidnapped, Mac’s illegitimate daughter shows up and Abby and Gary are divorcing. Love reliving this series!

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2020 10:00 PM

How is the quality?

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2020 10:03 PM

The picture that made me exclusively interested in hairy men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2020 10:09 PM

Season 9 opening, featuring Miss Constance McCashin's pivot before she was fired

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2020 10:12 PM

R11: quality is very good! Seasons 1 and 2 were released officially but these bootlegs are good.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 10:12 PM

Oh My God I loved this show and couldn't wait to watch it every week. My favorite story arc involved Chip (Michael Sabatino) and Lilimae (Julies Harris)...she tried to run him down with her car!

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2020 10:23 PM

Harry! They’re coming to take the babies!

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2020 10:27 PM

R15: Chip was Hot.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2020 10:37 PM

Kevin Dobson’s death this year took me by surprise. He was 77 when the autoimmune deficiency he’d been struggling with led to heart failure.

He successfully replaced Don Murray on the show as Karen’s (eventual) husband. Plus, I though he had one of the best hair transplants in the business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2020 10:40 PM

R18 Yes, I loved Don Murray but I thought Kevin Dobson was a wonderful replacement. I don’t always dig the later season writing for Mack and Karen when they become too sanctified though.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2020 10:48 PM

I never cared too much about the first couple years. When Ciji got killed that's when the stories started getting beyond hausefrau drama. And the last two years were hard to get through too. But anything in between is still very watchable.

Abby had some great storylines, the best probably being the death of Peter Hollister. Abby and Olivia both believed that the other one killed him, and they both tried to protect each other. That story was genius in having a great whodunnit plot and multiple emotional levels. And the episode where Abby tried to get rid of the body was perfectly measured over the top.

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2020 10:49 PM

I loved Donna Mills and her role on the show, but her make-up was very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2020 10:50 PM

Oh No r21...that's what made her look...those blue eyes with the dramatic makeup...mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2020 10:52 PM

Hard to believe Miss Mills just turned 80 on Dec 11...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2020 10:54 PM

Here she is 3 years ago at 77...still looks great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2020 10:58 PM

I always thought Hunt Block (great name!) would have had a greater career, but other than working on several daytime soaps, he didn’t. As far as I can tell he’s never married nor been linked with anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2020 11:01 PM

I was 10. It was what my grandmother wanted to watch, because we watched Dallas. I was bored for weeks (except for the haunted house episode). I hated Diana. Once Abby showed up, shit got fun. After Sid died, and eventually Mac showed up, shit got real. There was a five or six year stretch where it was the best show on television, and one of the best written ever.

Kenny, Ginger, Richard, Laura, Knots Landing Motors, Ciji/Kathy, Lotus Point, Wolfbridge Group, Galveston Industries, Ben, Jill, Joshua, Chip, Lili Mae, Capricorn Crude, Verna Ellers, the twins, Peter Hollister, Ann, Paige, Greg Sumner's ranch, Abby's beach house, drunk ass Gary's blue boxer shorts, Seaview Circle....

Still miss it, and would watch it now. Thanks, OP. Happy New Year!

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2020 11:13 PM

I cannot believe they had Val run off as Verna or had her almost poisoned by a crazy lady and still made it look plausible and relatable. The Verna story could have dragged the show down forever just like the Krystle/Rita thing on Dynasty. One show pulled it off the other show not at all.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2020 11:32 PM

"Jill Bennett murdered herself".....

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2020 11:42 PM

Oh honey, by the time Krystle/Rita rolled around, Dynasty's watchability had flown the coop a while back.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2020 11:53 PM

I think of all of the nighttime soaps of that era it sustained great quality for the longest period of time. DALLAS and DYNASTY, for example, were more popular and got more press, but they had a lot of dud seasons.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2020 11:53 PM

I have to admit that Knots was really a chore to sit through during the 87-88 season, with Michael York (not because of him) and I struggled to stay with it, but the next year it got better. I got my freshman dorm roommate into it and we watched it every Thurs night, and then my sophomore year, I was dating a guy who watched it so he would come over every Thurs night and we'd watch it in my little single bed while my new, straight roommate would patiently wait for it to be over. Then I would kick my guy out and my roommate and I would watch Letterman in my bed.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2020 11:58 PM

Let’s get to what’s important - Pat Peterson’s package on CIRCUS OF THE STARS. 😍 It makes its appearance at 51:15. Where’s high def when you need it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2020 12:04 AM

I remember seeing this on the newsstand and thought it was pure sex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2020 2:53 AM

The Travilla years were my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2020 3:17 AM

Poor Val.

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2020 3:33 AM

So many memorable scenes and lines. The Abby scale. I can't without water! I love my 'kiss the cook' apron. You did know your mother was sleeping with Peter, didn't you? Give me the keys! Tell me your name! (Sally's friend) I want to be a Pollyanna.

Seaview Circle is actually Chrystalaire Place in Granada Hills, you can find it on Google maps.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2020 3:51 AM

R36 Don't forget the slap heard 'round the world.

"I'm not saying we're having an affair, and I'm not saying we're not. I am saying I can have him any time I want him. Does that answer your question, Val?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2020 4:02 AM

OMG - I used to love later-seasons-Polly. No one could walk in, grab a drink out of the fridge, hear her neighbor's problems, and disappear from the scene and your mind like that spunky gal!

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2020 4:10 AM

Did we ever find out if Val's pussy stank?

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2020 4:10 AM

R39 no, but apparently her coffee did.

by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2020 4:15 AM

I was in high school and had crazy sexual fantasies about Pat Peterson, who played Michelle Lee's son. When he got all jacked I was overcum with trips to the bathroom to "comb my hair in private"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2020 4:49 AM

Pat Petersen really looked like he could be Don Murray’s kid. The resemblance was uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2020 5:01 AM

Thanks R36 ! Val's house isn't yellow anymore, but still has the wrought iron fence. Karen's house looks exactly the same. Quite the time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2020 10:55 AM

One of the best instrumental themes

by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2020 4:01 PM

It can’t be a Knot’s Landing thread w/o this classic link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2020 6:11 PM

We still want Donna Mills hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2020 6:13 PM

Oh goody, here come the drag queens to ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2020 6:58 PM

Honey, if it wasn't for drag queens, nobody would be talking about Knots Fucking Landing in the year 2020.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2020 7:00 PM

That's a ridiculous statement.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2020 7:04 PM

Lisa Hartman was walking barefoot around Hollywood years before Britney Spears

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 29, 2020 1:23 AM

r43 You'll like this: Karen's house was for sale: small lot really. $1,030,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 29, 2020 2:15 AM

That house is gorgeous. But yeah, the lot is very cramped.

by Anonymousreply 52December 29, 2020 2:50 AM

I watched Knots in the later years and it was still good. So well written. It was able to retain its viewers because of the writing, whereas Dallas and Dynasty both went off the rails. Knots was able to continue even after losing an iconic and popular character (Abby) by bringing in interesting characters.

I think the show continued to work for the most part because it stuck to good storytelling and characters you cared about. I still think about Frank's wife was run over by Danny the drunk or Mack and Karen took in an abused teen.

by Anonymousreply 53December 29, 2020 3:07 AM

Thanks, R51! Very cool.

by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2020 3:09 AM

Loved the Joshua, Val and Lilimae storyline. The great Julie Harris. Baldwin went on to well deserved bigger things after this. Some obscure steaming service called Xfinity has the shows. You have to have Xfinity cable to get it. .Good luck with that

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2020 4:35 AM

The lack of enthusiasm and interest in Ciji/Cathy Geary/Lisa Hartman in Knots Landing threads is alarming and unfair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2020 9:09 PM

Lisa Hartman was a mediocre talent. She's the female equivalent of Steve Grand, minus the fisting and desperation.

by Anonymousreply 57December 29, 2020 9:12 PM

Lisa Hartman looked an entirely different person prior to plastic surgery makeover she had prior to getting cast on KL. Cute, but ordinary looking.

Cathy didn't seem to click the same way Ciji did. They regretted killing Ciji off, but the who killed Ciji storyline was a good one and was one of things that made the show really break out into its own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2020 10:56 PM

Who did kill Ciji?

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2020 1:21 AM

R59 Chip killed Ciji. His demise was pretty shocking for the time too. After being startled after seeing Ciji look-a-like Cathy, stumbled and fell on a pitchfork.

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2020 1:43 AM

Chip was hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2020 1:46 AM

What happened to Lar Park Lincoln (dumb name)? She fucked both Fairgate boys and Karen knew she was trouble from the start.

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2020 2:38 AM

Lar does horror convention appearances sometimes since she was in one of the Friday the 13th movies.

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2020 2:53 AM

Some of the best eye makeup in the biz!

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2020 2:57 AM

Some of the most eye makeup in the biz!

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2020 3:05 AM

I had a roommate who was so obsessed with Val that he found out where she lived and we drove there to look at her house. (Why I went I don't know). He wanted to get out of the car and play football on her lawn. I said no fucking way, you can't just do that. He was from Indiana and thought people just play in other people's yards in Beverly Hills. Seriously.... ( how he found her - he was a casting assistant at Lorimar - he looked it up).

by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2020 3:18 AM

Valene's eyebrow commas were très distracting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2020 4:39 AM

Bobby and Betsy would be like 35 now if they were real.

by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2020 4:51 AM

i was a HUGE fan... got hooked onto this show from watching Dallas . I stopped watching Dallas after the Dream season when Victoria Principal left, but stayed true to KL all 14 seasons. I probably missed a handful of first run episodes, which I finally caught years later when it was rerun on Soapnet. I know I've interacted with some of the KL fans here on the Facebook KL Appreciation page. Hi y'all!

by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2020 5:47 AM

Not as distracting as the way she looks now, R67

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2020 2:18 PM

What we said two years ago on this exact topic (which may possibly have the same OP)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 30, 2020 2:29 PM

I've been to Joan's house in Studio City for a party thrown by her daughter. She gave us all tours of her mother's rooms while people helped themselves to all manner of things. I just stood there, half delighted, half appalled. It was a most passive-aggressive display on the daughter's part.

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote] She gave us all tours of her mother's rooms while people helped themselves to all manner of things.

Like what? Joan's underthings? We need details R72

by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2020 7:51 PM

Dewy, fresh and flirty ingenue Joan Van Ark has just stepped off the bus at Hollywood and Vine and is really take Tinseltown by storm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2020 8:44 PM

Im still reeling from the 41 yers ago

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2020 8:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!