Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

William Friedkin

Opinions and gossip? What's his deal? Is he just a straight director who enjoyed directing films with gay subject matter? i.e Boys in the Band, Cruising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2020 3:57 AM

Who would rather have made them- Rob Williams? Casper Andreas? Q. Allan Brocka?

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2020 5:53 AM

I'm glad BOYS IN THE BAND exists as a document and as a fairly faithful capture of the play and the original NY cast. That said, it's not great.

Friedkin had a lot of success shortly thereafter with FRENCH CONNECTION and THE EXORCIST, but like some other directors from that era (Mazursky, De Palma) he's nowhere near the visionary talent that some critics thought he was. Most of his other movies are deservedly forgotten. I'm not sure how well even THE EXORCIST has held up over time.

And CRUISING is just bizarre to me. The plot makes no sense. It's sloppily made and hard to watch. And Friedkin's remarks at the time about gay men were (and remain) atrocious. Gay men were right to protest at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2020 6:05 AM

I thought Bug (2006) was a disturbing, if not overlooked, slice of psychological horror.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2020 6:07 AM

I am the super mother bug!

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2020 6:10 AM

I love listening to him speak. He’s so blunt, intelligent, and irascible. I find him cute as a result. Plus, he directed two amazing films - The French Connection and The Exorcist - that I can watch repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2020 6:11 AM

Worth seeing, R3?

I just realized the most recent Friedkin movie I ever saw was JADE in 1995. God help me, that was awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2020 6:11 AM

Boys in the Band is an excellent film. And all you need to do to understand how great a job Friedkin did on it is to watch the remake.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2020 6:16 AM

His autobiography from 2013: The Friedkin Connection: The Movies That Made My Life is one of the very best autobiographies I've ever read. Such a great and at times very funny read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2020 6:18 AM

R6, I watched it as a DVD rental back in the day and enjoyed it -- odd and disturbing yet thought-provoking. It's one of the few films I really enjoyed Ashley Judd in.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2020 6:19 AM

Several years ago, I thanked him on Twitter for "The Boys In The Band". He was very kind, addressed me by name, and gave a thoughtful response.

That being said: even as a costume designer, I don't think I would never want to work for him as a director. I haven't heard of him seriously fucking with anyone except the cast (and I'm pretty tough), but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2020 6:28 AM

Costume Designer, Typing Too Fast

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2020 6:30 AM

Cruising has enjoyed a reassessment over the years. It has gained a lot of respect over the years.

When it was issued on Blu-Ray last year by Arrow Video, there was a very long thread on Blu-Ray Forum about Friedkin tinkering with the color scheme of the film, and many posters were upset about this.

To Live and Die in L.A. is another excellent Friedkin film. Some terrific chase sequences, and generous male nudity.

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2020 6:30 AM

[quote] "I don't think I would never want to work for him as a director."

Oh, dear, and Goddammit.

Anyway, you get the point. I hope.

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2020 6:32 AM

I’m strangely attracted to a 70s/80s friedkin. Didn’t he do a lot of “research” for Cruising? I love his work

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 6:32 AM

Great talk below. Also, [italic]Friedkin Uncut[/italic] was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2020 6:33 AM

What did he say @R2?

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2020 6:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2020 6:34 AM

[quote] I thought Bug (2006) was a disturbing, if not overlooked, slice of psychological horror.

It’s somewhat underrated.

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2020 6:35 AM

It's always funny to me that he directed the video for Laura Branigan's SELF CONTROL.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2020 6:37 AM

When I was a kid, we lived a half mile up the road from where Friedkin and his then-wife, Kelly Lange, resided. Two rather monstrous-looking "modern Mediterraneans" on a private mound encircled by this huge wall. As I recall, she'd built them both, but he bought the one next door to hers to be near her, then they married, so he put his up for sale. Being a local newscaster seen on television all the time, she seemed more famous to us kids than him.

Anyway, I remember the L.A. Weekly once referred to him as a "notorious womanizer."

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2020 6:44 AM

William Friedkin has been married four times! Had no idea he was married to Jeanne Moreau and Lesley-Anne Down. Were both these actresses looking for green cards?!

Jeanne Moreau, married February 8, 1977 and divorced in 1979. Lesley-Anne Down, married in 1982 and divorced in 1985. Kelly Lange, married on June 7, 1987 and divorced in 1990. Sherry Lansing, married on July 6, 1991.

While he was filming The Boys in the Band in 1970, Friedkin began a relationship with Kitty Hawks, daughter of director Howard Hawks. It lasted two years, during which the couple announced their engagement, but the relationship ended about 1972.

Friedkin began a four-year relationship with Australian dancer and choreographer Jennifer Nairn-Smith in 1972. Although they announced an engagement twice, they never married. They did, however, have a son, Cedric, born on November 27, 1976.

Friedkin and his second wife, Lesley-Anne Down, also had a son, Jack, born in 1983.

I also recall reading he had a brief relationship with, IIRC, Shirley MacLaine, I'm probably wrong, but if it wasn't her, it was a Hollywood icon of MacLaine's calibre.

Friedkin was raised Jewish, but called himself an agnostic later in life. However, during an appearance and Q&A at a 40th anniversary screening of The Exorcist at the 2013 Dallas International Film Festival, Friedkin revealed that he "believes strongly in God" and "the teachings of Jesus" and other religious figures, and that we are "in God's hands."

He sounds like a total hot mess!

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Interesting how OP linked a photo of Friedkin taken in 1970!

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2020 8:31 AM

He was hot @R22

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2020 8:34 AM

R20, I had no idea Friedkin was married to Kelly Lange! She was the face of LA NBC news for forever, it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2020 6:17 PM

He seems like a sex addict who wouldn’t turn down a blowjob from a guy.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2020 6:26 PM

I believe he’s a Republican now.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2020 6:30 PM

R24 Yeah, Lange was probably at the height of her*local fame* during that time (late 80s), and I remember there had even been rumors when her builder was readying the pads for her two mansions that she was trying to get approval to have a helipad on the property .. lol! .. although I'm thinking that may have been made-up and had something to do with her having started out as "the weather girl" at KNBC. Anyway, we used to see her out jogging in the neighborhood frequently. .. Friedkin not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2020 7:14 PM

I read Sherry Lansing's book. He is very much a republican but clearly not a piece of shit. I sense it is more fiscal.

He seems like a very interesting and intelligent man.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2020 7:21 PM

That’s disappointing @R28

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2020 8:46 PM

He had the same problems a lot of big 70's directors had. After the 80's, he ran out of things to say and his work suffered for it. Bug and Killer Joe were both pretty good, though.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2020 9:14 PM

R28 R29 Campaign finance records indicate that in the last election cycle, Friedkin contributed to "Biden for President". He also contributed to Republican Senator, Sue Collins, so he's probably more or less a moderate on the R-scale.

He gave several donations to Dianne Feinstein in her 2018 Senate re-election run, so that would also indicate he's going for another senator who tries to be something of a centrist.

In the past, he donated to both Obama and Eliot Richardson.

In the late 90s, he donated to both Orrin Hatch and John McCain. And way back when, he also donated to Daddy Bush. Funny thing is, he sent something to Dukakis as well.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2020 9:25 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 32December 30, 2020 3:13 AM

He was a pain in my back.

by Anonymousreply 33December 30, 2020 3:23 AM

The Making of “The Exorcist” is great and has a lot of Billy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2020 3:28 AM

I think he did a great job with BITB. Thought he was kinda cute for a straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2020 3:31 AM

I want to know about his wife, Sherry Lansing. Has anyone ever met her?

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2020 3:49 AM

Check the hanky code.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2020 3:50 AM

Lansing is a Democrat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2020 3:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!