Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Reason Pamela Sue Martin left Dynasty

The producers wanted to force her to have an abortion.

From Ich. Die Autobiographie by Helmut Berger:

"But when I arrived, Pamela Sue Marlin was the problem child in the production. Nervous completely at the end. They wanted her to have another forced abortion because she has been the star of the series and was now pregnant.

Her husband wanted that child. He pressured her, threatened to break up, It was real drama until she decided on the child.

Aaron Spelling wrote Pamela out of the series and replaced her with another actress in the next seasons. The relationship between me and the production was no less bad.

They didn't know how to get a grip on me despite significant threats of the typical Hollywood hardness and sweet palaver to make me docile. The opposite!

So they revealed to me that I too would have my character written off soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 26, 2020 1:50 PM

Another??

Was she the star? I read in the previous installment that he had some nice words to say about her.

by Anonymousreply 1December 25, 2020 1:23 AM

Jesus, who was the editor for that book? What a mess. Or just a terrible translation?

by Anonymousreply 2December 25, 2020 1:27 AM

Face it: I was the STAR.

Spelling didn't have Linda Evans or even Joan Collins pivot dramatically in the credits ("Oh! It's you!"). He had me do it, and only the true star gets to pivot dramatically.

I was the Barrie Youngfellow, the Susan Sullivan...

...the Barbara Bain!!

by Anonymousreply 3December 25, 2020 1:34 AM

Now we know all about Pamela Sue Marlin, but what about Pamela Sue Martin?

by Anonymousreply 4December 25, 2020 1:35 AM

I’m a huge fan of hers.

by Anonymousreply 5December 25, 2020 1:36 AM

I don't believe this story for a second - Aaron Spelling would have either written the pregnancy into the storyline or disguise the pregnancy

by Anonymousreply 6December 25, 2020 1:37 AM

I was young and couldn't stay up past my bed time to watch the first season of Dynasty, but was Pamela Sue Martin heavily feature that first season? Kind of like Fallon is the focus on the Dynasty reimagining on The CW?

by Anonymousreply 7December 25, 2020 1:39 AM

She was the only Fallon for me. Genuinely slutty and spoiled, but still likable.

Emma Samms was a bland void.

by Anonymousreply 8December 25, 2020 1:41 AM

None of this story is true. PSM left because she was tired of the role. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 9December 25, 2020 1:43 AM

Poor Nance...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2020 1:43 AM

R2 It's roughly translated from German. (The book is only in German and French)

by Anonymousreply 11December 25, 2020 1:43 AM

Do we have a Helmut Berger troll? Why are there 5 threads a day now?

by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2020 1:44 AM

Pamela looks sad and worn out in that photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2020 1:46 AM

She has one son with her third husband whom she married in 1990. The story doesn’t add up unless she still went ahead and had the abortion or miscarried. She divorced her second husband in 1984. The timeline seems off.

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2020 1:46 AM

R14 After all the drama and stress she went through with the producers and her husband, No wonder she miscarried the child and broke up with her husband.

The 4th season ended in early 1984. She divorced her second husband in 1987

"Martin's second husband was Manuel Rojas. They married on August 22, 1982 and divorced five years later in 1987...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2020 1:56 AM

Pamela Sue Martin and husband Manuel Rojas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 25, 2020 1:57 AM

r9, she and her husband at the time wanted to make the drug film. They produced it and he was a recovering addict. She couldn't do both and originally just wanted to be written out and come back later. The movie tanked and so did her marriage and she didn't want to come back so they replaced with Samms.

by Anonymousreply 17December 25, 2020 2:05 AM

So “the baby” was really a film?

by Anonymousreply 18December 25, 2020 2:07 AM

She and Rojas married from 1982-1984. Everywhere else has her marriage ending before that r15

by Anonymousreply 19December 25, 2020 2:08 AM

r15, well I guess IMDB is more accurate than Wikipedia. So I take that back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 25, 2020 2:12 AM

Emma Samms, Karen Cellini, Shelly Hack on "Charlies Angels", Pat Klous on "Love Boat" Whoever replaced Tattoo on "Fantasy Island" - Why the fuck couldn't they get it right? Huge hit shows that really suffered when they replaced the actors with less talented cast. I don't understand it really. Aaron must have been an arrogant fuck, I'm surprised ABC didn't step in..

by Anonymousreply 21December 25, 2020 2:20 AM

I believe what Helmut Berger said ( who was actually there, worked with and knew Pamela at the time) than some anonymous clueless queens who never met or knew Pamela.

by Anonymousreply 22December 25, 2020 2:30 AM

I don't believe this is the reason she left. In her last season on Dynasty, Pamela Sue Martin looked just terrible. Too skinny, dark circles under her wide, glassy eyes. She appeared sluggish and disinterested too. I think she was using.

by Anonymousreply 23December 25, 2020 2:35 AM

I HATED Emma Samms. Who the fuck thought bringing her on to replace Fallon was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 24December 25, 2020 2:36 AM

Pamela seems to want nothing to do with acting anymore, which is sad because she was great. She has no social media and her official website looks like it’s from 1998.

by Anonymousreply 25December 25, 2020 2:39 AM

Fucking Tori Spelling recommended Emma Samms to her father. Thanks, Tori! - Nolon Miller Recommend Shelly Hack to Aaron for "Charlies Angeles" No idea who told Aaron to hire fucking Karen Cellini. She was a coat girl at a Hard Rock Cafe

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2020 2:20 AM

R6, Aaron Spelling fired Hunter Tylo from Melrose Place because she was pregnant. She sued him and won.

by Anonymousreply 27December 26, 2020 2:51 AM

R27 So It was a pattern with him (like many old Hollywood producers)!

by Anonymousreply 28December 26, 2020 4:15 AM

no r27 he replaced her with Lisa Rinna and then said he'd give her another role when she wasn't pregnant anymore.

She was a new actress so I guess he didn't see a reason to have to introduce her and then write her out. Tylo later admitted she and her husband were after the money and fame the lawsuit would bring....much more than another role a year later like Spelling offered.

by Anonymousreply 29December 26, 2020 4:34 AM

Did she quit Nancy Drew too or was she fired from it?

by Anonymousreply 30December 26, 2020 4:35 AM

I think if Spelling had paid Hunter Tylo off a minimum amount, she couldn’t have sued him

They could have hidden either pregnancy or both

by Anonymousreply 31December 26, 2020 4:45 AM

What a wooden actress! Not that Emma Samms was any better. Then again, Dynasty wasn't exact the epitome of RSC level acting! It was a nighttime soap for Christssakes.

by Anonymousreply 32December 26, 2020 5:07 AM

I saw a joint interview with Martin and Joan Collins and Collins said she tried to talk Martin out of leaving saying the ship is rising you don't quit now, you quit when it is singing.

Al Corley oddly left too to become a pop singer. (I don't buy the excuse that he left for gay rights.)

by Anonymousreply 33December 26, 2020 5:11 AM

Spelling faced a similar lawsuit from Hunter Tylo and lost so it’s completely believable to me. She probably miscarried from the stress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 26, 2020 5:18 AM

R34 Thank you for providing this. I don't know why some people don't find the abortion story believable. I totally believe it, Not only because it's recounted by one of her costars (Helmut Berger, who is known for his honest "I don't give a fuck" attitude) who was there and witnessed what was happening on the set but also because It's very common in Hollywood especially in the old days including the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 35December 26, 2020 9:02 AM

[quote] Emma Samms, Karen Cellini, Shelly Hack on "Charlies Angels", Pat Klous on "Love Boat" Whoever replaced Tattoo on "Fantasy Island" - Why the fuck couldn't they get it right? Huge hit shows that really suffered when they replaced the actors with less talented cast. I don't understand it really. Aaron must have been an arrogant fuck, I'm surprised ABC didn't step in..

Hubris. The show runners, producers, (and sometimes) the writers and TV station CEOs think they know best and that the talent in front of the camera is easily replaceable when they get uppity.

by Anonymousreply 36December 26, 2020 9:49 AM

I've honestly heard for years that PSM left because the instant fame from being on the show was too much. Especially the public meet-and-greets for things such as Nolan Miller's Dynasty fashion line, where all the stars were paid to showup and create a zoo in depwrtment stores. Some even say she began wetting her pants when she got stressed in these situations. Her hair was also falling out, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37December 26, 2020 10:49 AM

R37 That was the party line. It was Not easy or accepted to say that she left because the producers wanted her to abort her child.

by Anonymousreply 38December 26, 2020 12:16 PM

I might add, "Back then, It was Not easy or accepted ......"

It's completely different today, when everybody is recounting very easily their experience with abuse or mistreatment in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 39December 26, 2020 12:24 PM

PSM was great as Fallon. They should have killed off the character rather than replacing her with Emma Samms who was terrible in the role.

by Anonymousreply 40December 26, 2020 12:32 PM

Some actors don't realize that they basically have to whore themselves out when promoting a movie or TV show (sometimes to attract more casting opportunities). And some, like child actors, grow tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 41December 26, 2020 1:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!