Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fair Theater in Astoria may be no more

Phone disconnected. Web site down.

It was thought they would make it though pandemic closing and reopen next year. But now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2023 4:35 PM

This is why the lockdowns should have ended in April.

All independent businesses in the hospitality and entertainment industries are on life support.

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2020 2:12 AM

I am DEEPLY concerned with the fate of movie theaters in Astoria.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2020 2:14 AM

It's hardly a "movie theater", R2.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2020 2:15 AM

R2 Bitch, it's everywhere. 17% of small businesses nationwide have already gone under this year.

by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2020 2:16 AM

It will stay dark. It will reopen in time.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote] It's hardly a "movie theater", [R2].

Forgive me.

I am just not up enough on the specialties of theater venues in Queens.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2020 2:24 AM

R6 You type smug and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2020 2:25 AM

R1, the fortunate thing is that not everyone approaches the world with your simplemindedness. Shutdown or not, only the fools of New York would expose themselves to an airborne disease in the middle of a pandemic that has killed well over 300,000 Americans in its first nine months. You can fantasize all you want, but the economy and pandemic likely would be worse if business had continued as usual. If you disagree, please provide evidence.

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote] [R6] You type smug and cruel.

Oh good. Then I've succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2020 2:35 AM

I went there several times two decades ago. I really don't remember any memorable hook-ups. I do remember once hearing Moon River and realizing that Breakfast at Tiffany's was playing in the main theater. So I just went in and watched it on the big screen and had a great time. The other time I heard Judy singing and went in and watched A Star is Born. I think it's funny that the two memories I have of it is watching two wonderful vintage movies there and not....you know...the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2020 2:42 AM

Theaters in NY are reopening now. Is this on the list?

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2021 1:42 PM

Appears to be back open now.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2021 11:34 PM

Gone but not Fairgotten.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2021 11:42 PM

Any updates on this?

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2022 3:42 PM

Dis da suckjob theater, ain't-a?

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2022 3:48 PM

My friend( F0RMER) used to push me to go there with him. It sounded a bit too sleazy for my frau-ish taste so we never went.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2022 4:12 PM

As of May 22, 2022, it appears to be ...still open! At least according to many recent reviews and ones even last year on Google reviews.

No hours or phone number listed on Google, though.

Not sure how long the pandemic forced it to close.

My only visit was February 15, 2020 or so, and yes, I knew about Covid but had no idea what was to happen very soon, first in Queens and all of NY/NJ then everywhere. So sad.

And foolishly, I was packed in with guys, many of us having sex in a small dark bathroom there and other corners. Roamed the hallways and balcony, chatted in the tv lounge where a PBS concert from years ago was entertaining fellow eldergays, cruisers, etc. A zany place, indeed, but I'm glad I experienced it. I even made a thread about my visit two years ago, driving 200 miles each way for the fun and the adventure, and curiosity of it all. I left about 2 a.m. after a few hours and drove to Chelsea to the Blue Room adult video store and had a couple more quickies in the small booths. That was it for sex until late October 2021, and nothing since then.

Yes, I can't believe I avoided Covid infection that trip. Maybe visiting just a week later would have proved awful. I've cruised a bit since my October 2021 hookup but haven't hooked up. Will try soon and in summer. I am 62. Yes, at 62, masturbation can replace wasted hours of cruising for some or many of us. ..

Can any local New Yorkers or others confirm it's open now? I think it opened until 3 am on weekends but not sure if those hours have been reduced. It think it was 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. closing on other nights Across from Baracuda, a 24-hour diner which could be a cool next stop after Fair if meeting someone at Fair. I think it's an ok part of Queens at night, not the worst area?

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2022 5:25 AM

[quote] Yes, at 62, masturbation can replace wasted hours of cruising for some or many of us. ..

But masturbation can waste some hours of jerking without orgasm for some of us.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2022 5:36 AM

I can't imagine this place still exists. I was there right after covid and it was dire.

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2023 3:00 PM

Isn't this theater in an out of the way location in East Elmhurst? It's not even close to Astoria. Either way I'm surprised it still existed. What movies did it show?

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2023 4:12 PM

It's East Elmhurst. The confusion stems from the location (in East Elmhurst) being on Astoria Blvd.

Have no idea if it's open, but the date on the website is 2023.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2023 4:25 PM

It's in the middle of nowhere, Queens. It was closed, but reopened after covid. I have not been for many years.

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2023 4:42 PM

I stopped by early last summer just to see the place - I wasn't about to go near anyone with Covid/Mpox and whatnot. It is like a Fellini movie.

by Anonymousreply 23March 21, 2023 4:45 PM

So festive...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 21, 2023 4:53 PM

I went there once because someone I know said it had a hot hustler-y vibe. It did not, but what a benchmark for gay diversity! The place was packed with a subset of gays the likes of which I had never crossed paths with in my 54 years of being a gay. And they were everywhere! That's not meant to sound judgmental, it was more like a fact. And if anyone there was the odd gay out, it was me.

by Anonymousreply 25March 21, 2023 8:12 PM

R25 give examples…

by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2023 8:26 PM

I was there on a Saturday a few months ago, I paid my admission and went through the gate then had to fight my way past a gigantic line of guys waiting in line for free pizza. It was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2023 3:44 PM

It is still there. And packed. Some wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2023 4:29 PM

It looks like they play Asian films then.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2023 9:41 PM

The were playing Les Miserables the time I was there!

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2023 2:55 PM

Is this dump still open?

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2023 4:10 PM

I went not too long ago after not having been in probably over 20 years, and yes, it's an absolutely bizarre experience with a mix of all types, but...I had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2023 4:23 PM

Is there a nacreous layer of permacum?

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2023 7:03 PM

Is there one seat in that place that isn't busted?

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2023 4:48 PM

[quote]Is there one seat in that place that isn't busted?

Well...

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2023 7:02 PM

Do they still offer free refreshments? I remember a line of gentlemen waiting for a hot dog or a slice of pizza.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2023 7:05 PM

R31=Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2023 7:28 PM

This place was kind of fun in its heyday - all types of people (don't go looking for mr. right) and lots of areas for playing. The balcony steps were very steep.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2023 8:21 PM

On more that one occasion I saw someone get taken away in an ambulance. Very few patrons under 50.

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2023 4:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!