Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane

Why did their legacy go down the shitter? Most people remember them for the abortion that is “We Built This City”

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2020 11:01 PM

Answer: We Built This City.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2020 7:59 PM

Habits, OP....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2020 8:01 PM

But that was Starship. Airplane was a different beast.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2020 8:03 PM

Yes, but so was Jefferson Starship. This song is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 8:41 PM

This song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2020 8:41 PM

And this one rocked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2020 8:43 PM

They had a HUGE hit with "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" in the 80s... but their sound at that point went out of style.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2020 8:43 PM

It all went down hill when they dropped "Jefferson".

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2020 8:45 PM

But how did they go from this to any of the songs posted above?

["Plastic Fantastic Lover" always seemed like the epitome of 60s psychedelic rock. You can sort of see the hippies with giant joints, tripping their asses off doing weird hippie dances.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2020 8:52 PM

^^I mean even the lyrics "Data control and IBM and science is mankind's brother" - it's like an SNL skit

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2020 8:53 PM

I loved Marty Balin's voice.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2020 9:01 PM

I loved Plastic Fantastic Lover. It sounds like they wrote the lyrics while stoned and it's a good song to dance to while stoned.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2020 9:03 PM

R11 I loved Marty's voice too. The Airplane was a mess of drugged up people. They would have a great show or they would show up so blasted on drugs they couldn't perform and audiences got pissed. They played a bit of musical beds with each other. It was like they tried to fuck up the band. Their early work was great, later stuff not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2020 9:55 PM

Grace always reminded me of Carol Pope.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2020 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!