Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas With Barbara Stanwyck

Every year, I try to watch three of her films. I used to watch Meet John Doe, but Walter Brennan makes me fucking sick.

[italic]Remember the Night[/italic] (1940): Fred MacMurray, Beulah Bondi, Elizabeth Patterson and Sterling Holloway. A shoplifter, Lee Leander (Stanwyck) is forced to spend the holidays with the district attorney, John Sargent (MacMurray) who has to prosecute her. They travel to Indiana to visit with his mother, aunt and farmhand (Bondi, Patterson and Holloway). Heartwarming drama with a great supporting cast. Directed by "woman's picture" director Mitchell Leisen. Preston Sturges wrote the script and promised Barbara that he'd put her in a real comedy, which was the superb [italic]The Lady Eve[/italic]. Also, it was the first of many successful collaborations between Stanwyck and Edith Head. The turn-of-the-century wedding gown, complete with corsets, is something to behold. I just hate the way Fred McMurray's African-American butler is portrayed as a stereotyped buffoon. What was the deal with Sterling Holloway? Was he or wasn’t he gay? One thing, I’ll never get him mixed up with Sterling Hayden.

[italic]My Reputation[/italic] (1946): With George Brent, Eve Arden, Lucile Watson and Scotty Beckett. A recent widow, Jessica Drummond (Stanwyck) falls in love with a wolfish Army officer Scott Landis (Brent) she meets on vacation with her friend Ginna (Arden) and her husband, which shocks her upper-class social set, especially her humorless, exhausting mother (Watson). Directed by Curtis Bernhardt. Not bad, but the film falls short in some ways, mainly because of George Brent, who was as bland as week old oatmeal. Plus, some of the Edith Head costumes aren’t as stylishly brilliant as they were in other Stanwyck films. But Barbara makes it better than it deserves. She seems cast against type as a shy widow dominated by her pushy mother and teenaged sons. Of course, when she’s had enough and starts telling folks where to go, you know that it’s a Stanwyck movie. Originally made in 1944, it was first shown only to US servicemen overseas and not released in America until 1946. Supposedly, this was also done with several other films.

[italic]Christmas in Connecticut[/italic] (1945): With Sydney Greenstreet, Dennis Morgan, Reginald Gardiner and S.Z. Sakall. Not my favorite either, but Barbara’s in it and she can do no wrong as the Martha Stewart-like writer who can’t cook or decorate as she claims to in her popular column; her friend Felix (Sakall), a chef, gives her all of her recipes. So, when her magazine editor Mr. Yardley (Greenstreet) invites a war hero to her fictional house in Connecticut, she has to act fast. She has a boyfriend, John Sloan (Gardiner) who happens to have a farm in Connecticut that will be an ideal setting for Elizabeth Lane (Stanwyck) to perpetrate her hilarious fraud to war hero Jefferson Jones (Morgan). He thinks that she’s married to her boyfriend but she takes one look at him and feels very unmarried. My favorite scenes are when she bathes her fake baby and flips the flapjacks in the frying pan. Morgan was another blandly appealing actor in the Warner Brothers stable; does he have fans here? Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2020 11:30 PM

She was nominated for 4 oscars and never won. Shame on the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2020 6:30 PM

We make a point of watching Barbara in Christmas in Connecticut nearly every year. It's available at the itunes store too of course. Love all of the Preston Sturges films, but I think the Lady Eve is definitely the best. She is absolutely my favorite from the halcyon days of Hollywood film. And can do no wrong. There's another one that is modeled after snow white and the seven dwarves (dwarfs?) that is a riot. And many more. I'm just agreeing, she's the one for me.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2020 6:36 PM

Ball of Fire. Stella Dallas. Double indemnity. She's one of the impersonations the gatekeeper does in The Long Goodbye. (He also does Walter Brennan. I dislike him too. Could Altman have been making some sly oblique reference to Meet John Doe? Also some absolute knockout nudes when she was younger.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2020 6:39 PM

r2 I always enjoy Dennis Morgan. He was a decent actor, and could sing as well. This scene with him, Jack Carson, Doris Day, and a DL icon is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]What was the deal with Sterling Holloway? Was he or wasn’t he gay? One thing, I’ll never get him mixed up with Sterling Hayden.

But do you get him mixed up with Sterling K. Brown?

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2020 6:41 PM

I watched My Reputation on TCM this morning, and Christmas in Connecticut and Remember the Night during the past week or so, also on TCM.

The enthusiastically demeaning way MacMurray's character treats his valet in RTN made me wonder if MacMurray, like Brennan, was a racist in real life, too.

As for Christmas in Connecticut - that scene where Dennis Morgan's character just unhesitatingly changes Stanwyck's character's supposed baby is something I wouldn't think would fly today.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2020 6:42 PM

Yes, funny, r3, that she and Norma Shearer both did nudes around the same time. Nothing compared to Joan Crawford's nudes, though.

Haha, R5, every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2020 6:42 PM

r4 Great walk-on for JC. The word 'hoot' comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2020 6:45 PM

When you think of the superb actors Brennan beat out for those Oscars—all because his buddies among the extras voted for him—it is a reminder that the Oscars have always been dubious (like giving Mary Pickford, who was a genuine pioneer in the silent era, Best Actress for her atrocious work in the atrocious Coquette, mainly because she had voters to Pickfair for tea and had been a founder of United Artists).

Our Glenn, like Missy Stanwyck, can take some comfort in that (as could Deborah Kerr, Peter O’Toole, and Richard Burton). I live both Remember the Night (though agree about its racial politics) and Christmas in Connecticut. I find 40s Capra harder to watch as I get older. The 12-year old me thought he was great. Now not so much.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2020 6:50 PM

And even though Stanwyck, according to those who knew her, harbored no racial prejudices at least not deep seated ones, she and Brennan did belong to that right-wing organization of film people headed by Ayn Rand. I hope MacMurray wasn't a racist, but it wouldn't surprise me. Another one of Stanwyck's costars from a couple of her films, Charles Coburn, was a card-carrying member of the White Citizens Council.

I agree R9, the Oscars have been a joke ever since they were created.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2020 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!