Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spaghetti Carbonara

what's the perfect recipe for it? do you use raw eggs? and why can't we get decent spaghetti carbonara in america?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2020 3:55 AM

Should I drain?

by Anonymousreply 1December 19, 2020 1:07 PM

Of course, r1. Just reserve a little of the liquid to moisten the pasta.

by Anonymousreply 2December 19, 2020 1:17 PM

I use cream instead of the eggs in true fat whore fashion.

by Anonymousreply 3December 19, 2020 1:23 PM

So here's how I do it OP (for 6 oz pasta - two servings)

Fry 3 oz pancetta, drain it on paper towel, crumble into small pieces, & set aside

Remove the fat from the pan, substitute a 2 TB extra virgin olive oil, gently saute two medium garlic cloves you put through a garlic press, & then remove the pan from the heat

In a small bowl mix 2 egg yolks, ¼ cup heavy cream, & 1 oz grated pecorino romano cheese and then set aside

Before draining the pasta (that's cooked in salted water), reserve some of that water

Add the drained pasta to the frying pan & mix a little

Add the yolk mixture & again mix

Add 2 TB of the pasta water & give another mix

Let it sit in the pan a few minutes (mixing it about every minute) until the sauce is the desired consistency

For the record, I like Segiano brand linguine for this

by Anonymousreply 4December 19, 2020 1:34 PM

That sounds delicious R4!

by Anonymousreply 5December 19, 2020 1:48 PM

OP, I love spaghetti carbonara. I'm fortunate to have found a restaurant near me that makes a great carbonara. I'm not a good enough cook to attempt it myself. And you're right, hard to find even in good Italian restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 6December 19, 2020 3:02 PM

R3 I’m sure it’s delicious with cream but what you are making is something other than Spaghetti Carbonara.

by Anonymousreply 7December 19, 2020 3:13 PM

We should all work to eliminate carbon-based feulsillis from our diet.

by Anonymousreply 8December 19, 2020 3:29 PM

You drain the pasta, but you reserve a little of the water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 19, 2020 3:32 PM

Fossilfuels??

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2020 3:32 PM

I make it similar to R4 with some minor changes.... maybe it’s not considered carbonara with these changes.

1. Although I cook with garlic often, I leave it out of the carbonara recipe.

2. I don’t use cream and use about double the amount of egg yolks and much more perorino. I also add red pepper flakes to this mixture.

3. I mix in the egg/cheese mixture after taking the pasta off of the heat. I think it makes the texture nicer and so far haven’t gotten salmonella.

4. I fold in a lot of fresh parsley.

(I know that chefs don’t recommend cooking in olive oil, but I sauté the pancetta in olive oil, don’t crush up the pancetta, and add some of the oil to the pasta water that I mix into the sauce).

I either eat it as a meal with salad or as the pasta dish before a chicken dish.

by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that the original Carbonara which is from the mid 1940's was make with Nestle tinned cream, tinned food make up much of the European diet after WWII.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2020 4:08 PM

^^^ Made not Make^^^

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2020 4:09 PM

Is it necessary to be critical of someone's typo or grammatical error?

by Anonymousreply 14December 19, 2020 4:14 PM

We would no more go without it, dear r14, than air or food.

by Anonymousreply 15December 19, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote] I mix in the egg/cheese mixture after taking the pasta off of the heat. I think it makes the texture nicer and so far haven’t gotten salmonella.

This was going to be my question for R4. If you're adding the egg mixture into in the hot pan, how do you avoid scrambled eggs? A double boiler?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 19, 2020 4:23 PM

R16, Whoever wrote that recipe must like to create work for herself. A hand blender? Double boiler? I mix up the egg/cheese mixture with a fork for a few seconds before mixing it with the pasta. Everything melts and the texture is silky. Carbonara is one of my go-tos when I want to make something fast with not much effort. It’s really a simple recipe.

by Anonymousreply 17December 19, 2020 4:36 PM

(R16) You have to vigorously toss the items in the pan by shaking the pan and by folding in the items with a spatula.

by Anonymousreply 18December 19, 2020 4:45 PM

[quote] I use cream instead of the eggs in true fat whore fashion.

If you're talking about just egg yolks, the yolks probably have more fat than heavy cream.

by Anonymousreply 19December 19, 2020 4:46 PM

The meat is supposed to be guanciale, but it's not easy to find. Pancetta is more readily available, and at least it's more authentic than bacon.

by Anonymousreply 20December 19, 2020 4:47 PM

[quote] For the record, I like Segiano brand linguine for this

Linguine sounds better than spaghetti for carbonara sauce.

by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2020 4:50 PM

No cream, that’s what ruins it. Eggs and cheese only

by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2020 4:51 PM

(R20) I had to order my guanciale from a butcher out of state.

by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2020 4:53 PM

My buddy from college and his wife both made excellent spaghetti carbonara. They used raw eggs too. I've yet to taste anything as good. Whenever I came over to study or visit, his wife, who is truly a sweetheart, made it almost every time I came to visit. Sometimes, she'd add shrimp or chicken. He'd cook it sometimes too; she taught him.

She always said you had to pay attention to detail and mix the eggs properly or they'd taste and feel like scrambled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2020 5:03 PM

R19, but egg yolks have many nutrients and are definitely better for you than cream.

Totally agree R21. Carbonara is a rustic dish and the thicker the pasta, the better (my opinion). I like to make my own and cut it wider than fettuccine.

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote]This was going to be my question for R4. If you're adding the egg mixture into in the hot pan, how do you avoid scrambled eggs? A double boiler?

[quote]R16, Whoever wrote that recipe must like to create work for herself. A hand blender? Double boiler?

Re the first quote, the egg mixture isn't being added to a hot pan. As I said @ R4, you remove the pan from the heat after you "gently saute" the garlic - meaning the pan wouldn't have been over high heat in the first place, and the pan is then off the heat while the pasta is cooking - leaving the pan time to cool a bit. Also, the egg mixture, as I mentioned, is being added to the pasta, so it won't scramble the egg, and the result is a silky texture.

Re the second quote, it;s not really additional work. I use neither a hand blender nor a double boiler, but a teeny little whisk or a fork. I combine them - egg/cheese because I like to add them simultaneously, so combining them makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2020 5:18 PM

If you are interested in the genuine article, there is NO cream in carbonara.

And you do not drain the fat from pancetta (or better yet guanciale). Carbonara is all about the pork fat. That's why guanciale is preferred because it's so fatty.

Absolutely no parsley. But you do need lots of freshly ground black pepper. It is essential. And freshly grated pecorino or parmesan. Or both.

The traditional pasta used is spaghetti, but I prefer linguini.

This is supposed to be a dish that is fast and effortless. No double boilers or other contraptions to make it. Just 4 ingredients: guanciale, egg yolks, pecorino, spaghetti. Plus salt and pepper. And that's it.

The entire dish is prepared in the time it takes the pasta to cook.

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2020 5:50 PM

I’m still confused. What is my role around here?

by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2020 5:56 PM

This is the recipe I use, but with bacon or pancetta. I find guanciale to be too fatty. The pasta is combined with the egg mixture and cooked together in a double-boiler to cook the egg through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 19, 2020 5:57 PM

[quote] And you do not drain the fat from pancetta (or better yet guanciale). Carbonara is all about the pork fat. That's why guanciale is preferred because it's so fatty.

This part makes sense, esp. if you're replacing the fat with olive oil. (I can understand skimming off fat because there's simply too much of it.) Pancetta and guanciale appear to be not smoked, so, no excessive smokey flavor.

But, to each his own. If you like the olive oil, then that's what you like.

by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2020 5:58 PM

Cook's Country Spaghetti Carbonara (just listing the ingredients):

3 large eggs + 2 large yolks

2.5 oz. Pecorino Romano, grated

1 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. salt

4 oz. guanciale, cut into 1/2-in. chunks

2 Tbs. EVOO

1 lb. spaghetti

by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2020 6:08 PM

R29 Actually that's not a bad way to do it for people squeamish about raw eggs. Italians don't have a problem with raw yolks and remember, Americans do eat poached eggs and the like with raw yolks. But the ingredient list is is right and so is the one at R31. Italian guanciale is so fatty that you do not need to use oil to cook it.

by Anonymousreply 32December 19, 2020 6:16 PM

Even if you don't make it the way Antonio does, you owe it to yourself to watch his 5-minute video. If you can't get guanciale, you can use hog jowl or pig's cheek , found in lots of big American grocery stores, it's nearly the same thing. Pancetta is usually in the deli case of most similar places. He insists, "no cream". He was a great spirit, and is worth investigating further on youtube. His videos on wild mushrooms are hypnotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 19, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote] I’m sure it’s delicious with cream but what you are making is something other than Spaghetti Carbonara.

Yes I know, but unlike the other posters I use bacon , as this recipe was originally created to be like a pasta based bacon and eggs for American soldiers. Sometimes I use eggs but most of the time I'm lazy or have them earmarked for some other purpose.

by Anonymousreply 34December 19, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote] If you can't get guanciale, you can use hog jowl or pig's cheek , found in lots of big American grocery stores

Only if you shop in the Clampetts' neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 35December 19, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote] Absolutely no parsley.

This is why I prefaced my comment with

[quote] maybe it’s not considered carbonara with these changes

Carbonara is very fatty, and I usually don’t eat this way. The parsley really mellows it out for me.

by Anonymousreply 36December 19, 2020 6:37 PM

If you think that every Italian dish is made in exactly the same way in every Region you need to do a bit of a culinary tour of the Country, they can differ from town to town.

It's not KFC of McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 37December 19, 2020 7:00 PM

I ate pasta carbonara so many times while in Italy I thought my arteries were going to close up.

I've had it from time to time in the US, but it NEVER tasted as good as it did over there.

Hopefully, the copious amounts of red wine helped mitigate the damage.

by Anonymousreply 38December 19, 2020 7:08 PM

Haiyaaaaaaa R28

by Anonymousreply 39December 19, 2020 7:12 PM

You don't have to worry about 'scrambled' egg if you thoroughly rinse the pasta after cooking it.

by Anonymousreply 40December 19, 2020 7:13 PM

Don't skimp on the pancetta or the cheese, and don't try to use a different cheese.. I use garlic and onion. Yes, don't mix over a fire. Pepper flakes. NO parsley.

by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2020 7:21 PM

R40 OH DEAR oh dear oh dear (and I'm not referring to your grammar)

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2020 7:21 PM

When I was kid back in the 80s, I was staying over with my grandparents and my grandma asked what I wanted to eat so I asked her to make spaghetti carbonara. We ate it fairly often at home. But my grandma thought it was scary to toss raw egg yolks through the pasta, so she made an omelette, chopped it up, and tossed that through the spaghetti. Of course it totally missed the point of the dish and what the egg yolks are doing there. I didn’t mind, though. It may not have been spaghetti carbonara, but she made it with love, and it tasted good. I still always think of her when I make spaghetti carbonara now.

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2020 7:38 PM

R37 There are no regional differences with carbonara. It's not as if it's prepared one way in Rome and another in Bolzano. It is what it is. Add variations and it becomes another dish.

The finer points are whether to use whole eggs, or just yokes or a combo. Pancetta or guanciale. Only pecorino or parmesan too.

If you want to add cream or onions or garlic or whatever you want...why not if that's what you like. It's all good. But it's not what is known as carbonara.

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2020 8:07 PM

R37 La carbonara... alla pugliese!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2020 8:37 PM

R45 That's a chef's own recipe. This is what la carbonara looks like in la cucina Pugliese. The same as it does everywhere :

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2020 8:50 PM

It's just damn 'sketti with bacon bits in it!

I never knew the shit had a fancy name.

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2020 8:54 PM

R46 Most decent Restaurants all over Italy have their own recipes, otherwise you may as well just eat in a downmarket Trattoria.

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2020 9:19 PM

What is a "downmarket Trattoria"? There are good and bad restaurants and trattorias. If you go to a good place where Italians eat, your carbonara will classic. That is what Italians expect. If a chef makes his own take on a classic recipe it will be identified as such.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2020 9:39 PM

R49 Trattoria by definition serve fast inexpensive food, the equivalent to US Diners. In my experience most are pretty horrible.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2020 10:17 PM

R50 Oh my. You know nothing about Italy, or what a trattoria is.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2020 10:21 PM

R50, are you talking about trattorias in Italy or elsewhere?

When I was in Paris, it seemed like even the crappiest places had good food (to my American palate).

I would imagine even the dumpiest trattoria in Italy would have decent food (for an American's palate).

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2020 10:23 PM

Italy is a country of trattorias. The most highly rated and loved eateries.

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]The finer points are whether to use whole eggs, or just yokes or a combo

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 54December 20, 2020 3:54 AM

The old yokes are the best yokes!

by Anonymousreply 55December 20, 2020 12:48 PM

Thanks all for dinner idea and saving me a trip to store. Plan to serve with asparagus & leftover duck confit (why not)

by Anonymousreply 56December 20, 2020 2:10 PM

Sounds delicious R56. I bet if you diced up the left over duck and fried it in the pork fat, it would be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 57December 20, 2020 2:12 PM

pasta queen and pasta bro to the rescue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 20, 2020 2:14 PM

R54 Oh dear indeed. Sorry about that. English is my second language.

by Anonymousreply 59December 20, 2020 3:42 PM

My hubby makes his own pasta for carbonara. Dee-lish-us. Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 60December 20, 2020 4:23 PM

That woman in r58 seems like the Italian Sofia Vergara.

by Anonymousreply 61December 20, 2020 7:53 PM

R60 Jealous? No. Carbonara is made to be eaten using dry pasta, not fresh.

by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2020 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!