Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help me help my toe

I banged it pretty badly a few months ago but it stopped hurting after a week or so. Today the whole nail fell off and now the skin hurts. I put a band aid on it but I need to do more. But what exactly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2020 4:06 AM

very cute foot pic OP!

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2020 10:16 PM

Neosporin and bandaid. If it's sore you can soak it with the bandage on in warm water and Epsom salts.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2020 10:21 PM

Thank you r1 and r2. I have Epsom salts. I will give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2020 10:23 PM

Stay off your feet while the nail grows in.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2020 10:36 PM

Get your ass to your primary care physician tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2020 10:39 PM

What's a primary care physician going to do?

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2020 11:28 PM

The nail will take about a year to properly grow back OP.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2020 11:30 PM

The doctor will make sure there's no infection and may prescribe meds to ensure the nail grows back healthy. Depends. Probably best to see a dermatologist. They handle skin and nails.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2020 12:29 AM

Find a foot fetishist into shrimping. He will kiss it to make it better.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2020 12:31 AM

Mupirocin ointment or povidone iodine.

I have known some people who died of cancer or septicemia after getting only a tiny cut in their foot or leg. This is quite a serious complication, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2020 1:44 AM

Since it takes eight months or so to grow back, "staying off your feet" for that time frame may not be in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2020 1:49 AM

Yes, a dermatologist is the one to see for this. Don't worry too much about it, though. Protect the toe with more than a Band-Aid. I'd try some sterile cotton or nonstick gauze pad wrapped in some sort of light bandage.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2020 1:49 AM

R11, In the time of Corona? It's easy-peasy!

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2020 1:54 AM

Ok you have convinced me to see a doctor. The first available appointment with my PCP is January 7. I'll send her a note and ask her what to do.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2020 2:01 AM

You don't need to see a doctor, for the love of god. Just put polysporin on it and wrap it in a bandage and wait.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2020 2:04 AM

Now I am confused... I feel stupid emailing her about this. I didn't see a doctor when I first injured my toe and it seems silly now. I took a photo of it if anyone wants to see.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2020 2:05 AM

Since a doctor can’t wave a wand and make a new nail appear, why would you see one? You are also capable of seeing if there’s infection. Soak it and keep it loosely covered with a bandage and antibiotic ointment. Don’t wear tight shoes. Sheepskin slippers or some nice natural-fiber socks.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2020 2:09 AM

OK I emailed her. I don't want to get toe cancer!! I know what happened to Bob Marley!!

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2020 2:10 AM

OP, I did something much like that some ten or twelve years ago - I tripped over a decorative stone brick on the back porch while wearing sandals, and it split the entire big toe, laying back the entire nail like the hood of a car that's opened while speeding down the freeway. Because of diabetic neuropathy, I wasn't really aware of how much damage I'd done to it until after I got back in the house, noticed that the toe of the sock had soaked red from blood, and took it off to look at it. (That's right, folks - I had on socks and sandals. Bite me.) I laid the nail back down and after cleaning it, I wrapped it in gauze, but it was a loss; it did not re-attach. So after a day or so, I clipped it loose from the toe and discarded it.

R12's response is closest to the course I followed. I didn't have any pain to speak of, but apparently you do. Keep the toe clean, very gently. Apply some Neosporin. Try to ignore the pain, and apart from checking to toe daily while changing its gauze dressing, leave it alone; don't pick at it, compress it, or enclose it in a shoe. If it begins to infect or starts exuding pus, get your ass to an Urgent Care right away. Apart from infection, though, it's something you can look after.

Once the nail starts to come back in, apply a little Lotrimin Ultra cream to the cuticle after each bath/shower. This will help keep the nail free of fungal complications as it grows back.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2020 2:34 AM

R16 , pic please. I want to worship Your barefeet.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2020 2:48 AM

You really have to protect it from becoming infected. Just see your doctor and don't take chances.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2020 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!