Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lamb Chops have HANDLES

In every store I go to for lamb chops, the butchers try to push those other cuts of lamb on me as "lamb chops". The ones in the bottom left of the picture with bone handles are "lamp chops", the other pieces of crap in the picture may be lamb, but they are NOT lamb "chops"!

Right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2020 12:11 PM

An agenda channeled through lamb chops, OP?

Your pic link is from an Australian source. Maybe that's a clue.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2020 3:56 PM

OP, are you in Australia?

I love lamb, but it's a task to find it where I'm at in the States.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2020 3:56 PM

I found a grub today, and shared it with my family.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2020 4:02 PM

R2, no, I just used that pic for comparison of the cuts. And yes, it is very hard to find them now in U.S. stores, and when you do, they are expensive. They usually just have those cheaper cuts that they try to pass off as lamb chops.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2020 4:04 PM

Are you the "three days ago was last Friday" queen, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2020 4:05 PM

Ina is making lamb shanks and they have "handles" on them. Is that what you are in search of?

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2020 4:06 PM

OP, maybe you have some kind of phallic obsession.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote] no, I just used that pic for comparison of the cuts.

How odd, I just did a search and couldn't locate that pic using several different descriptors. Did specify "Australian" in your search? I like that pic and want to find it.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2020 4:09 PM

Rib chops

Loin chops (my favorite)

Shoulder (blade) chops

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2020 4:13 PM

No, OP lamb cutlets are the ones with the handles.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2020 4:15 PM

R9, so you're saying all three kinds are generically called "lamb chops?" Even if technically true, most people when they say "lamb chops" mean the "rib" ones pictured here, and it would be what you expected if you ordered the dish in a steak house restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2020 4:22 PM

The upper left (in the pic), whatever it's called, is a terrible tasting and textured piece of meat. Hardly tastes like lamb to me.

My local store calls it a variety of different names depending on the week; all I know is that cut is terrible. The chops to the right are the best, unless you're cooking shanks or a leg of lamb, which have the greatest flavor.

I don't think any lamb has the flavor it used to, whether it's because of origin or feed.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2020 4:24 PM

R8, no, I think the search was "chops vs other cuts" or something like that. I had difficulty finding a pic with all cuts in the same picture and tried different searches and scrolled through a lot of images before that one came up. I didn't even notice it was Aussie site until R1 pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2020 4:31 PM

I buy a rack of lamb which I slice into rib chops at home. Each rack yields eight chops, and I freeze individual servings of two chops each in zip bags. I love my local butcher shop; better quality than plastic-wrapped grocery store fare.

Like with chicken and beef, it's cheaper cutting up the rack of lamb at home than buying pre-cut parts.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2020 5:49 PM

Well of course they do.

How else was Shari Lewis getting her hand up that ass?

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2020 5:51 PM

Yes the lamb supply in the US is very disappointing. It’s really not a big thing here which sucks because I used to eat it all time in my home country. A lot of middle class people in America have never even tasted it and with they do, they don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2020 6:20 PM

I love lamb

Chops should always be aged and generally cooked to no more than medium rare (blade chops in a fricasse can go longer).

The meat should come from range fed animals (young, not mutton), finished on grain.

Other tougher parts (unless ground) should be browned and cooked VERY slowly with garlic and seasonings until well done and meltingly tender.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2020 3:26 AM

My favorite lamb chop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2020 3:35 AM

Not all lamb chops are frenched, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2020 11:17 PM

In Australia, the ones with the handles are lamb cutlets. Moving clockwise from there through OP's picture, you have [lamb] mid-loin chops, forequarter chops and backstrap.

Even when you don't french cutlets, they still have "handles", R19: they're just somewhat greasier to hold.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2020 12:48 AM

WHET to lamp chops?

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2020 12:55 AM

"love handles", R20.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2020 2:40 AM

Why don’t pork chops have handles?

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2020 3:11 AM

Because they are not cutlets, R23. Lamb chops don't have handles either.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2020 12:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!