Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peppermint Lounge

Eldergays, tell me about the Peppermint Lounge. Apparently, it had a strong gay clientele. And then straight people started going there and took over. Could that be possible? Was it a gay club or just one with a strong gay presence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2020 12:15 AM

Memory serving for over a year ago - there is a DL poster who's parents met at the Peppermint Lounge. Mom was a dancer and Dad was a Bouncer. Both bisexual. He even posted pics of them.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2020 11:22 PM

The Peppermint Lounge was not a gay club per se, if I recall its history correctly. It was evidently one of the first places considered a disco. P.J. O'Rourke had a joke about French rock and roll sounding like "someone chasing Edith Piaf around the Peppermint Lounge with an electric hedge trimmer".

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2020 12:08 AM

Where was this lounge?

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2020 12:11 AM

OP you're going to have to ring up Shady Pines to find any elder gays who frequented the original Pep.

I was 18 when I started going to the new Pep in 1980 and followed it downtown. I saw so many cool bands. It was a mix of everything and there were a lot of cute rockabilly types. I learned all the coolest dances there and at CBGB and Mudd Club. Mostly I wore black jeans and penny loafers to all clubs but sometimes I wore vintage sharkskin. Those three clubs were so gay but we were around and we knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2020 12:14 AM

I meant to type WERE NOT SO GAY. they were not gay clubs but there were some of us around of course.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2020 12:15 AM

128 West 45th Street was the original location, in an old Edwardian hulk no longer with us.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2020 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!