Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Cheever was really hot when he was young

He was either bi or (more probably) gay, but was deep in the closet, and kept cheating on his wife with men (notably the composer Ned Rorem).

He later spoiled his beautiful face by drinking way too much. He was incredibly unhappy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2020 1:12 AM

He had an affair with Mr. Henry Ross who was married to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2020 2:37 AM

When I see a picture like that, with the lips slightly apart, I try to imagine a cock in his mouth

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2020 2:39 AM

Does Susan know?

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2020 3:00 AM

Is that pic supposed to be hot, OP?

I do like his books though especially the short stories and his letters.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2020 3:17 AM

That's considered "hot"?!

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2020 3:23 AM

I love you, R3.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2020 3:24 AM

His wife said she could tell when Cheever was talking to a trick on the phone because he would rub his asshole through his pants.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2020 4:55 AM

One of the best SEINFELD episodes was the one featuring Cheever references!

"The Cheever Letters." After Kramer accidentally burned down Susan's father's cabin, Susan finds a box of letters addressed to her father from Cheever. She reads them and finds out that her father and John Cheever had engaged in an affair years prior."

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2020 9:26 AM

[quote] …I do like his books though especially the short stories …

Is any of it mildly erotic, R4?

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2020 10:08 AM

John irving was hot too.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2020 12:10 PM

There may have been a mild homoerotic undercurrent in a couple of them, but I can’t remember exactly R9

He also wrote 'Falconer', where 2 men in prison fall in love, which is as gay as he got in writing.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2020 10:27 PM

Is Falconer pronounced like Faulkner? I enjoyed the book but never knew how to say it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2020 10:30 PM

The Swimmer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2020 10:33 PM

[Quote] kept cheating on his wife with men (notably the composer Ned Rorem).

I met Rorem a couple of times, must've been in his late 70s. He was still astonishingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2020 10:34 PM

Is "The Swimmer" worth watching? R13 Sounds like a bizarre story

R14 You could have provided some evidence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2020 10:46 PM

So sorry. You're a doll yourself r15. Kiss kiss.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2020 11:02 PM

Oh yes it's worth it, an odd different film. I liked The Swimmer film but haven't read the story.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote]Is "The Swimmer" worth watching?

Of course-- Joan Rivers is in it!

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2020 12:59 AM

One of my fav authors. Recent bio of him just great. Talented, tortured, damaged, and insightful. My cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2020 1:09 AM

Looks-wise he was an underachiever.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2020 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!