Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Goya Foods trollls AOC. Names her "employee of the month" after her boycott

WASHINGTON – Goya Foods CEO Bob Unanue said Monday Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., was selected as the company’s “employee of the month” earlier this year after she drew attention to the boycott against the company, and a spike in sales followed.

Unanue was criticized in July for praising President Donald Trump during a visit to the White House.

"We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder," CEO Robert Unanue said during a speech after a roundtable with Trump and other Hispanic leaders.

Goya Foods bills itself as the country's largest Hispanic-owned food company. Some Latinos expressed disappointment with the CEO's praise for a president who they say continuously attacks Latinos.

"Oh look, it's the sound of me Googling 'how to make your own Adobo,'" Ocasio-Cortez said on Twitter following the roundtable, later sharing an alternative recipe to the Adobo seasoning, which is part of the Goya brand – a well-known Latino household item.

Unanue, appearing on “The Michael Berry Show” on Monday, said Ocasio-Cortez "was actually our employee of the month."

“When she boycotted us, our sales actually increased 1,000%, so we gave her an honorary — we never were able to hand it to her — she got employee of the month for bringing attention to Goya and our adobo,” he claimed.

Following the backlash, buying beans became somewhat of a political statement.

The president expressed his support for the company, tweeting,"I LOVE @GoyaFoods!" and posting a photo on Instagram that showed him giving two thumbs up while seated behind a row of Goya Foods products.

White House adviser, and the president's oldest daughter, Ivanka Trump, also posted an image of herself on Twitter holding aloft a can of Goya black beans.

The Trump's posts drew swift reaction on social media, including from several critics who maintained it was a violation of a rule that prohibits executive branch employees from using their position for the "endorsement of any product, service or enterprise."

Ocasio-Cortez also weighed in on the controversy with a play on the company's slogan.

"If it's Trump, it has to be corrupt," she tweeted in Spanish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2020 10:33 PM

Their sales went up 1000%???

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2020 11:02 PM

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2020 11:03 PM

Other companies should try to get the benefit of an AOC boycott. She’s poison across America.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2020 11:04 PM

Goya is cheap and nasty, I avoided them before the boycott.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2020 11:05 PM

I like my representatives with a little more gravitas. But you know, people pay her to stunt like this, so she’s gonna.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2020 11:10 PM

AOC is the new Hillary Clinton.

She'll never be President.

The right HATES her, and you can see that they come out in force against her.

Not sure what that's all about, but she's already tainted by them.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2020 11:10 PM

She’s brown and she’s a woman.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2020 11:12 PM

Um, the reason their sales are up is that preppers have buying beans in bulk because of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2020 11:14 PM

Rudy Giuliani must eat a lot of Goya beans.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2020 11:14 PM

[quote]She’s poison across America.

R3 = Deplorable who thinks universal healthcare and Green business is poison.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2020 11:16 PM

She's a Caucasian Puerto Rican, R7.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote] Um, the reason their sales are up is that preppers have buying beans in bulk because of COVID.

No way, R8.

These are white people who would never eat garbanzo beans, black beans, or pigeon peas.

They bought this shit for one reason: as a "fuck you" to AOC.

She has the mark of Hillary.

Deplorables HATE her.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2020 11:17 PM

R8 - why meal prep during a pandemic? Not like you are going to go anywhere that you need to pack ahead.

Anyway, why Goya when the plain wrap is probably just as good and, maybe cheaper?

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2020 11:18 PM

I don’t think people hate her as much as they think she’s a bad joke. If she had any real power, people would probably hate her, but as long as she’s on the far fringe, she‘s just mocked.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2020 11:50 PM

Why have Republicans targeted her?

There are Democrats out there who are MUCH farther to the left than AOC.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2020 4:01 AM

AOC must be fuming about this.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2020 10:54 PM

lol.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2020 10:57 PM

The brand is privately held, meaning they can say their sales figures are whatever the hell they want. I don't buy it. I like AOC and hopes she keeps it up.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2020 11:02 PM

Comparing her to Hillary is just dumb. I guess because she’s a woman and some people don’t like her. That is where it ends.

Hillary is experienced and wise — and doesn’t have to stunt.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2020 3:38 PM

Anyone selling canned goods saw a big increase in sales. Shoppers cleaned the stores out. You couldn’t buy soup or beans in Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2020 4:01 PM

I changed brands and so did many of my friends. My local (liberal area) market always has Goya on sale now. Full shelves. The other brand's beans are always almost gone. They might have gotten a quick bump in sales, but they lost many customers forever.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2020 4:07 PM

Every political thread that's mentioned a female politician today has had trolls comparing them to Hillary, it's weird.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2020 4:10 PM

Goya never sold a lot here in town (Kansas), we have El Paso and store brands for the gringos and La Preferida for everyone else.

In fact, I just looked it up and black beans and garbanzos of every other brand are all much cheaper than Goya. Kroger is 88 cents, La Preferida $1.09, Goya is $1.79. Yikes, lower quality, bunch of bigots, AND more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2020 4:13 PM

There is no such thing as bad publicity. Keep raking Goya over the coals, AOC, and then sit back and watch sales go up.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2020 4:16 PM

Actually, this is very funny! And no matter your prejudices, making her Employee of the Month is absolutely hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2020 4:21 PM

Hilary Clinton won the popular vote. That means that more people voted for Hilary than voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2020 4:25 PM

R26 we're still talking about that, hunh? "I was robbed, I tell you, I was robbed".

It happened, we suffered the consequences. It's time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2020 4:27 PM

And Ivanka was so thirsty ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2020 4:27 PM

I wonder why everyone on the conservative right seems to delight in being a trollish asshole? Maybe it's because to be conservative, you have to be a repulsive dick and you think rubbing something in people's faces is, you know, fun. Personally, I don't think AOC gives a shit about this Trumpstain ass. But all you deplorables can gorge on these shitty beans and stop up the toilet in your low-rent RV.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2020 5:14 PM

Carbs are for trash anyway.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2020 8:16 PM

[quote]Comparing her to Hillary is just dumb. I guess because she’s a woman and some people don’t like her. That is where it ends.

That may be true (and really, is there anyone that fits the archetype of Disliked American Female Politician as well as HRC?), but when AOC decides to run for President, her prep team needs to look at Hillary, how the Republican side had been relentless for decades in their roasting of her, and formulate a strategy to counter that - because it's pretty much guaranteed that they [bold]will[/bold] be just as ruthless when it's AOC's turn up to bat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2020 8:20 PM

If you live in glass houses, be prepared for the stones. This effort by hers was a failure. She has many good characteristics, but in this case, she did not read the Latino community correctly.

Similar can be said of the Democrats in the election. Overall, they did ok in getting the Latino vote, but in places like Florida, it was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2020 8:25 PM

"This effort by hers..."

oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2020 8:49 PM

Cancel the cunt.

She's useless.

We Democrats need better representation in Congress, and not just the "flavor of the week."

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2020 8:51 PM

Oh boya.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2020 8:55 PM

You're fucking useless, R34. Cancel your Trumpist ass. Go suck off a Proud Boy.

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2020 8:56 PM

Fuck you, Mamasita R36.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2020 8:57 PM

"Mamasita..."

oh dear...

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2020 9:05 PM

[quote]She’s brown and she’s a woman.

No. She is a white woman.

As white as any southern European. By her looks she could easily be French.

She is the daughter of a successful architect. She grew up in Yorktown Heights. Racial makeup 90.49% White. The median income for a household $108,648, and the median income for a family $137,580.

But yeah...lets keep the myth of poor brown "AOC from the block" going.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2020 9:09 PM

I love how AOC-haters love to think they know that she's SECRETLY A RICH WHITE LADY. Like it's not possible for a working-class Latina to ascend the heights she has. She has to be really one of you. Fucking pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2020 9:16 PM

R40 She IS a rich white lady.

White and semi beautiful, growing up in a white well- to- do suburban town to parents who were professionals.

Very privileged.

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2020 9:40 PM

My suspicion is the Trump cult went out and bought Goya’s shitty products en mass when AOC told people not to.

That spike won’t last.

It’s clear though that she has no idea what’s she’s doing. That’s to be expected for such a raw rep as her, but she has a giant spotlight turned on her (mostly by herself), so she really needs to be a little more careful what she says and does.

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2020 9:46 PM

masse

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2020 9:46 PM

Trump can just dump Goya beans straight into his diaper. Cut out the in between part.

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2020 9:49 PM

R41, she's not white and didn't grow up as rich as you're making her out to be

But you know who did grow up rich? Donald Trump, Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump....

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2020 9:52 PM

R39 she doesn't look French. If I saw her without knowing who she was I'd assume she was Latin (which she is)

Funny how Republicans keep electing guys who were born filthy rich like Dubya and Trump

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2020 9:54 PM

She has a big mouth. She supported Bernie and then did some damage to the Democrats. what's to like? not only has she Not proven herself but seems to require almost as much attention as Trump.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2020 9:55 PM

I guess this is part of the "necessary effort" she feels is needed to reach out to Hispanic voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2020 9:56 PM

[italic]Si es Goya, tiene que ser bueno.

Si es Trump, tiene que ser corrupto.[/italic]

For those Goya virgins, the first is their long-standing marketing slogan. The second is AOC's response to Ivanka, the purported U.S. government official, who was on Twitter promoting Goya beans. (For the single language folks, Google translate is a wonderful thing.)

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2020 9:58 PM

R48, yawn. Stop posting GOP propaganda. Most Latinos support Democrats. Cubans from Florida don't represent all Latino people.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2020 10:00 PM

AOC still said it, despite your dismissal of it as "GOP propaganda".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2020 10:03 PM

R51, where did she say Latinos hate her? The Democrats "vulnerability" with Dems is a media-created lie. Most Latinos do not vote GOP.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2020 10:06 PM

Who said Latinos hate her??? That's not the point being made.

If she thinks Democrats need to put more of an effort with Hispanics, there's nothing stopping her from leading the charge.

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2020 10:09 PM

R41 thinks he's a clever shit-stirrer but really he's just a tiresome dum-dum Go back to jacking it to manga.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote]Their sales went up 1000%???

My guess is conservatives organized a buy-cott. That often happens when boycotts of Israeli goods are announced. Israel supporters will go out and buy up the boycotted items, so that the boycott is counterproductive.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote] But yeah...lets keep the myth of poor brown "AOC from the block" going.

Lets be clear.

The only one perpetuating the "myth of poor brown AOC from the block," is AOC herself.

It's how she got elected.

If people really knew where she came from, she couldn't pretend to be "of the people."

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2020 11:04 PM

Bullshit on the 1000% increase - they're selling 10 TIMES as much? No way.

This is all lies from Trumpsters.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2020 11:09 PM

Now everyone is trying to get AOC endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2020 11:13 PM

Let's be clear - R56 has zero idea what AOC's pre-fame life was like and is relying on Fox and OANN to tell him what to think.

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2020 11:17 PM

AOC is a ratched cunt!

She and the rest of the Cunt Squad make the entire Democratic Party look bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2020 11:22 PM

It's so funny the way you right-wing loons on this site are OK with rich boy Donald calling himself the "blue collar billionaire" but heaven forfend AOC trying to be anything more than a maid or a bartender. You are are transparent snobs (even though you're probably poor) and maybe even a little racist!

by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2020 11:26 PM

Alert to Dataloungers: Descendants of Spaniards, such as non Black Puerto Rican’s, are white. AOC is white. Many Latinos are white.

I like AOC, because she speaks her mind and advocates for what she believes. She is white and not from a poor background. Which is fine.

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2020 11:46 PM

The ironic part is that no employer is going to be able to get any work out of her. She just dances and does social media when she should be working on suing Boston University for handing her a degree in Economics despite her lack of understanding of the subject’s basic concepts.

by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2020 11:46 PM

Rashida Tlaib is also white and not poor.

The other two in the Squad, black and from poor backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2020 11:48 PM

Wow the snooty Trumpist shitstain sexists who infest this board are all up in arms. Gosh guys, threatened much?

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2020 11:51 PM

I like her too R62, and I think it is important for both parties to have members who are not extreme, but have “out of the box” ideas.

Right wing media though has, successfully, portrayed her as the future of the Democratic Party, which she isn’t (at least for now).

She is a representative, so whatever she does to fight for her district, more power to her, but she is hurting her party as a whole. This isn’t really her fault, because Fox News gives her far more airtime than her position deserves.

I guess I’m frustrated that networks don’t hammer on conservatives that put forth some really unpalatable shit.

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2020 11:57 PM

OP is....to put it kindly...disturbed. Ignore and check it out. So many threads he creates to troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2020 12:00 AM

R62 - she is not white. Puerto Ricans are a mix of black, native, and Spanish settlers. As are many Latinos.

She is not white and no one would call her white or confuse her with Martha Stewart or any of the other white people in Congress any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2020 12:21 AM

So if you aren’t as white as Martha Stewart you aren’t white? Sorry but she looks Spanish, and would be considered white in PR. Are you super old and think Jews and Italians aren’t white either?

I know about the demographic mix in PR. Individuals aren’t necessarily a mix of white, black and native just because of the existence of multiple heritages.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2020 12:33 AM

R69 - ask her if she's white. Just because PR has a tradition of calling people white if they have any white lineage (including people with mixed ancestry), it doesn't mean that they are white by the US definition.

They used the opposite definition than the US - any drop of white blood made them white as opposed to the States with the one drop of black blood rule.

If you think her experience in the US has been that of a white person, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you.

by Anonymousreply 70December 11, 2020 12:43 AM

R56 I know that when AOC was in high school. She called herself Sandy and listen to my chemical romance.

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2020 12:51 AM

I know "Ted" Cruz' given name is Rafael and his family nickname is Felito. Will you please go bother him now, r71?

by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2020 1:00 AM

"As white as any southern European. By her looks she could easily be French"

R39 LOL France is the country located in the center of Europe and not in the south. She does not look at all like French women. Like really not. She could pass for a Spaniard from the south of Spain (which is in the south of Europe), and even the Spaniards don't have such brown skin. She's a pretty woman, no doubt about that but she does not have the structures of southern European faces .

Southern Europe: Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Spain etc ... I don't have the impression that AOC looks like Macron, who is really a French man. You Americans have a real problem with geography. She looks like a Latino from South America. Nothing like a Southern European.

by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2020 4:36 AM

French women: Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, Laeticia Casta, Brigitte Bardot, Jeanne Moreau, Juliette Binoche, Marion Cotillard, Eva Green, Isabelle Adjani, Léa Seydoux.

American be like " AOC could easily be French"

Bwahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 74December 11, 2020 4:50 AM

R74 The funniest thing in this is the "easily" part. Some people really need to travel outside the US

by Anonymousreply 75December 11, 2020 5:04 AM

AOC dad doesn't look like Emmanuel Macron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 11, 2020 5:32 AM

No he didn't. Sergio Cortez died in 2008, he was an Architect according to Wikipedia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 11, 2020 5:44 AM

R76 Well not really. In France there are 4 seasons. With climate change things will gradually change but at the moment the weather is only hot during the summer in July and August, unlike in South American countries. Even in the south of France it is very, very, very rare to see native French people being as brown as Sergio Cortez is. Those who have the same skin color as her in France are Arab or Turkish immigrants. In the North of France, winter temperatures can drop to -10 degrees. To have the beautiful golden color of AOC you would need a very hot climate all year round. This is not the case in France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 11, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote]Southern Europe: Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Spain etc ... I don't have the impression that AOC looks like Macron, who is really a French man. You Americans have a real problem with geography. She looks like a Latino from South America. Nothing like a Southern European.

I'd say the bottom half of France is in Southern Europe. Someone explained to me that if they grow olives and use olive oil, it's definitely Southern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 79December 11, 2020 6:30 AM

By most of these metrics, France is Southern Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 11, 2020 8:26 AM

r78 Macron does not look like the typical Frenchman. Here's a stereotypical depiction:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2020 8:49 AM

1000% increase in sales. Really. I hardly think of white, racist deplorables being their marketing demographics. I tried to boycott the brand, but my Safeway remodeled their store, and I bought about 10 little cans of Goya's diet mango juice at half-price, because I LOVE mango anything. And they are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2020 8:51 AM

So, according to that map, Russia, a nation that sweats vodka, is hard working? Hahahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2020 10:57 AM

She should go unionize their employees or work with their union if they have one already.

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2020 11:13 AM

At least she's not a white girl PRETENDING to be Hispanic!

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2020 8:16 PM

Is Ivanka fucking the Goya guy for money now too?

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2020 10:25 PM

[quote] Is Ivanka fucking the Goya guy for money now too?

No way!

Daddy would be jealous.

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2020 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!