Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Architectural Horrification

For me, the American Embassy in London takes pride of place in the world of architectural eyesores. I thought the US might be represented by a classy, understated look . . . but no. Please post your own examples here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 15, 2020 7:34 PM

That facade is a security feature.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2020 3:05 PM

"The Rock." Wellington Airport, New Zealand. Yikes!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2020 3:16 PM

[quote]That facade is a security feature.

What in the world is that foghorn facade protecting it from?

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2020 3:17 PM

Frank Gehry at his worst in Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2020 3:18 PM

I like the US Embassy in London. It's different.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2020 3:29 PM

Well I suppose the London US Embassy looks better than the old one, which looked like a Reichstag edifice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2020 3:43 PM

The old one was far worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2020 3:43 PM

Yikes! The so-called "Dancing House" in Prague.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2020 3:50 PM

Any Frank Gehry building.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2020 3:53 PM

The old US embassy was also cruelly plopped down on one of London's loveliest squares without any attempt at architectural harmonization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2020 3:56 PM

2 Columbus Circle was an abandoned art gallery/travesty that finally got a facelift a few years ago over the vociferous protests of "preservationists".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2020 4:02 PM

I don't think the embassy is bad at all for a small cube of a building which would otherwise be a glass square. Have you seen London architecture? Walkie talkies, shards, buttplugs etc. It's pretty horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2020 4:22 PM

Ah 2 Columbus Circle, so ugly. Horrendous. Wasn't it the Huntington Hartford Building before he lost all his money? It truly was an eyesore, even worse than the old NY Coliseum across the circle, now the Time Warner building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2020 4:26 PM

OP thinks Trump Tower, any Trump property really, is the height of architectural magnificence and elegance.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2020 4:28 PM

The old US Embassy is a Grade II listed building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2020 4:32 PM

Does anyone think this travesty is an improvement, R11? It looks like they took a bunch of cheap, builders grade aluminum siding and nailed it to the original.

Say what you want about the original design, it appears they used expensive materials. The "revised" version looks like crap at the returns desk at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2020 4:33 PM

"Any Frank Gehry building."

Gehry kind of works on the University of Minnesota campus, given the overall setting and the fact that it's an art museum, not an office or residence. I mean, it wasn't necessary, but I don't think it looks awful or anything.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2020 4:34 PM

In fact, I think the US Embassy is one of a very small number of concrete buildings that have been listed for historical and architectural importance in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2020 4:35 PM

R16 is correct. The Edward Durell Stone building at least had something gracious about it that connected it with earlier traditions. The replacement, like contemporary architecture in general, looks like it came out of an Ikea box. They're all built now to be replaced, and what style they have is strictly determined by anodyne novelty. Architecture's main criterion is to be tax write-off.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2020 4:44 PM

This is currently my favorite topic on DL. Anything to distract from the horror of 2020 which still has a little under a month to go.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2020 4:47 PM

Columbus Circle has never caught a break. The ugly old Gulf & Western Building was retrofitted with gold tainted windows and became a Trump Hotel. The ugly old New York Coliseum became the insipid Time Warner Center. 2 Columbus Circle? It requires real imagination to create something that ugly. Even the residential building at Central Park South and Columbus Circle is ugly.

And now the Columbus statue itself is at risk of cancelation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2020 5:32 PM

Columbus, for all his grotesque sins, never deserved to have stare at all that ugly.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2020 5:37 PM

The horrors of McMansionism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2020 5:37 PM

The Hearst Headquarters in New York. It looks better in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2020 5:39 PM

McMansion murderization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2020 5:45 PM

This brand new apartment tower in St. Louis, just around the corner from Dockers Dan and Polo Patty's place, is quite ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2020 5:52 PM

Ugh R26. Looks like a sad attempt to give everyone 3D bay-window type rooms with views.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2020 5:57 PM

I think the pencil-thin oligarch apartment towers in NYC are destroying the city's skyline... and more than most cities, the skyline IS NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2020 6:02 PM

I also think the Salesforce Tower just destroyed the skyline of SF. A building whose scale just ate the city. Size, not just the questionable shape (not a Trans America Tower memory).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2020 6:05 PM

Žižkov Television Tower in Prague, Czech Republic.

Complete with giant baby sculptures crawling up it like architectural lice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2020 6:08 PM

Absolutely, R28. NYC relinquished its century-long status as an iconic skyline when they let the first one go up. Anyone remember when plutocrats actually built nice things?

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2020 6:12 PM

My favorite among all ugly buildings. Absolute horror!

The Slovak Radio Building in Bratislava.

And it took over 15 years to complete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2020 6:14 PM

Tempe City Hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2020 6:22 PM

Some Le Corbusier stone cold buildings are so heinous.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote]I also think the Salesforce Tower just destroyed the skyline of SF.

In fairness, the SF skyline was always disappointing, including those ugly Portman buildings near that water.

It was the Golden Gate and the natural setting that made the city.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2020 6:35 PM

Okay. So this is actually a KFC. In Los Angeles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2020 6:35 PM

Borg cube in Salt Lake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2020 6:39 PM

I agree about the SF skyline, generally. If focused on the buildings and not primarily on the GG and natural surroundings, it can look good if shot from closer up and concentrating on smaller section of buildings. Once you pan out, the broader buildings skyline isn't great. But, again, since it can't really be divorced from the incredible natrual setting and the GG, it probably doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2020 6:45 PM

Empire State Plaza in Albany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2020 6:47 PM

The modern buildings in London are hideous and clash terribly with the beautiful classic buildings. The whole city is a visual mess now thanks to all that ugly modern shit.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2020 7:00 PM

Dont't forget me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2020 7:01 PM

R3 the steel mesh facade protects the building from electronic surveillance and eavesdropping . Many Federal buildings now have mesh facades, as well. Those buildings that don't have that feature always have one or more secure rooms in the interior of the building, made of steel-reinforced concrete, that prevent spying.

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2020 7:15 PM

Let's not forget America's "filing cabinets" or as some critics called them, "the boxes that the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building came in."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2020 7:26 PM

R40 Is Prince Charles still tilting at windmills.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2020 7:28 PM

The problem with the new American embassy in London is its location. It's in the equivalent of Queens. A real no man's land. God knows where the embassy workers go for lunch. Nowhere fancy, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2020 8:04 PM

The San Francisco Federal Building is an eyesore. It's like something the Galactic Empire would've built.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2020 8:16 PM

Brutalist architecture, like the Rebecca Crown Center at Northwestern University.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2020 8:21 PM

R47, I went to Northwestern and IMO, RCC actually doesn't look that bad in context. That said, they could have opted for something more befitting of the campus. I do like the walk-through from Clark Street up the steps and back down to the traditional and lovely sorority quads/Willard/Scott Hall/Cahn

The main library and Norris Center are also fairly bleh in isolation, but sort of work in context. But, again, they could have built something more traditional and matching, or better complementing, the older buildings.

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2020 8:27 PM

Museum in Graz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2020 8:32 PM

I've wondered what the purpose of this structure is. The "centerpiece" of Hudson Yards called "The Vessel." It looks like a wasp's nest and serves no purpose except to be pointed out in threads like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2020 8:34 PM

The Vessel from the inside. A collage of confusion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2020 8:34 PM

We had a thread on the appalling Hudson Yards. The "Vessel" was intended to be a money-making Instagram honeytrap. Supposedly visitors relinquished all rights to their inevitable photos in favor of the owners, or something.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2020 8:36 PM

R37,It looks like it has a jail on the top

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2020 8:46 PM

R33, that's not that bad. And it's probably the nicest building in Tempe

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2020 8:47 PM

R42 Thanks for that info. I remember reading part of that ages ago.

R45 I wonder if they meet up with their near neighbours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2020 9:55 PM

R2 That literally looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2020 9:58 PM

R23 SO ANNOYING! I HATE THESE!

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]I think the pencil-thin oligarch apartment towers in NYC are destroying the city's skyline.

I agree with you. These things are popping up and completely ruin what semblance of a skyline NYC has. Driving in from Long Island, you begin to see the skyline in Queens and these things just look ridiculous. Reminds me of the "Sliver" buildings from the 80s. They were railed against by cooler heads and you stopped seeing them after a while. I mean, what is the point? The penthouse on one of these things is going for $83M. Imagine they put just one apartment per floor so snobs can say they have an entire floor in midtown. If Jackie Kennedy was alive she'd probably come out against these stick buildings.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2020 10:34 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright birthed some clunkers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2020 10:57 PM

R24 The Hearst Building should have been twice as tall to make a statement. It looks blunted or they ran out of material and just walked away. I have to stare at from my kitchen window on West 55th st all the time and it makes me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2020 11:00 PM

R45 all American embassies have dining rooms and cafeterias available for American as well as local employees, usually part of an employee recreation association managed through the DOS. They also have commissaries.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2020 11:20 PM

Ranier Tower in Seattle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2020 11:25 PM

R50 the Vessel is like a garden folly on a grand estate. It's decorative and this one gets people moving, socializing, and gives different impressions of its setting. It's not bad - it's unusual.

This is bad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2020 11:57 PM

TT is really a horror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 7, 2020 11:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2020 11:58 PM

ghastly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2020 11:59 PM

The Helmut Jahn designed Trump Tower on 5th is an attractive building.

The atrium is another story but the exterior is nicely done.

I'd rather still have Bonwits there but TT is worthy of 5th.

by Anonymousreply 67December 8, 2020 12:07 AM

Another view of the Kunsthaus Graz (see R49), Austria, Peter Cook & Colin Fournier, 2003.

It's vilely organic, like a Surinam toad "becoming" within the skin of a petroleum black slug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 8, 2020 12:17 AM

Olympic Tower is OK. Trump tower isn't that attractive, plus it's tacky, and remember the trees? Vulgar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 8, 2020 2:35 AM

The old Commodore Hotel next to Grand Central Station was bought by Trump and the Pritzker family who only gave it a outside layer of dark reflective glass with cheap brass trim and renamed it the Grand Hyatt. Boring and typical Trump. Even so, it took him out of Queens and made him in NYC real estate circles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2020 2:43 AM

R46, that building [italic]screams[/italic] Thom Mayne. We have a similar building in DTLA, the CalTrans District 7 Headquarters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 8, 2020 2:50 AM

The Commodore Hotel and the Vanderbilt Hotel were not masterpieces but they were solid examples of massive city hotel architecture of their era. Steel and masonry. In their dotage, they felt comfortable and homey and permanent. Many cities had 1 or 2 of these hotels and New York had a plethora: When they are all gone, you are going to miss them. Look at the massive flags they once flew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 8, 2020 3:01 AM

R70 Completely off topic, I stayed at the Commodore Hotel in 1972, still in college, alone...entrance directly into Grand Central Station as I remember it. I remember a guy followed me into hotel, I thought he was going to mug me but now I think he was just cruising me. Tiny rooms and the roar of the city all night kept me awake, restlessly. The streets were dark with something more than night.

by Anonymousreply 73December 8, 2020 3:04 AM

Frank Gehry kitsch in Venice, CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 8, 2020 3:09 AM

^^ Oops. Wrong link.

This one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2020 3:10 AM

R74 Pretty big for Venice....

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2020 3:11 AM

R75 Used to be Chiat/Day advertising agency. Had a friend who worked there. The inside was really unusual "disruptive" for "creative" people... like all the crazy Silicon Valley workspaces, 20 years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2020 3:13 AM

I think the Cité du Vin in Bordeaux is hideous. It's supposed to look like wine being poured into a glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 8, 2020 3:13 AM

It looks like a snake is throwing up R78

by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2020 3:22 AM

RE: the pic in OP's post

[quote] That facade is a security feature

It will scare everyone away. At least everyone with taste

by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2020 3:24 AM

R69 The trees on the Trump Tower were actually ahead of their time and were a nice touch. The exterior of the building is sober and tasteful. The only thing vulgar about the exterior is the horrible gold Trump sign. Here is the NYTimes architecture critic Paul Goldberger writing about TT in 1983:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2020 3:28 AM

Why all the visual gimmicks? Why not just design a building for people going inside and doing stuff?

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2020 3:28 AM

One World Trade Center is so offensively boring.

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2020 3:29 AM

You beat me to it, R49 and R68.

Seattle Central Library - bulky and ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2020 3:31 AM

The Haas house, located right next to Vienna's iconic cathedral. I don't mind modern architecture in old town centers but this building is just plain ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2020 3:31 AM

Edward Durell Stone=bland "brand name architecture at its worst.

Different horror--the Canadian Embassy in DC looks like "contextualism" on drugs. It's even uglier in person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2020 3:33 AM

The Italians have it right: Florence, Rome, Venice... no modern architecture in the historic centers.

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2020 3:34 AM

Russian embassy in Havana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2020 3:40 AM

Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2020 3:42 AM

Some of you bitches have such plain, basic, and boring taste. A lot of these are cool, unique, and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2020 3:43 AM

The understated elegance of the Pixel Building in Melbourne, Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 8, 2020 3:46 AM

The MSP Building of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 8, 2020 3:49 AM

The vessel in nyc is a sculpture that merely cost 200 million. I think it was donated by some rich cunt, if my memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 93December 8, 2020 3:53 AM

The apt in downtown nyc that looks like jenga tower game. The base/ lobby of it is soooo fucking ugly, looks like a shitty office.

by Anonymousreply 94December 8, 2020 3:55 AM

R87 Wrong! Riverbank houses in Florence (around Ponte Vecchio) look pretty awful. The original houses were blown up by the Krauts and for some reason they were replaced with hideous modern constructions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 8, 2020 3:56 AM

I personally don't mind The Vessel. It's weird that you chose to focus on that when 1 WTC exists.

by Anonymousreply 96December 8, 2020 3:57 AM

R88 Was it able to launch missiles to Florida?

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2020 3:59 AM

Ryugyong Hotel.

Can you fatasses imagine starving to death and having to look at this every day? "Really?! We had to starve just so you could build a hotel that looks that stupid?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2020 4:03 AM

The National Library in Buenos Aires.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 8, 2020 4:03 AM

R71 Oh GOD! It's garbage! Ugh! Garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2020 4:13 AM

National Fisheries Development Board Building in Hyderabad, India. Does it have to be so literal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2020 4:15 AM

House of Soviets, Kaliningrad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 8, 2020 4:17 AM

R101 is silly and fun. I wouldn't call it really ugly.

by Anonymousreply 103December 8, 2020 4:31 AM

Shouldn’t it be Whorification?

by Anonymousreply 104December 8, 2020 4:33 AM

Pussy Towers is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 105December 8, 2020 4:47 AM

R95 I disagree completely. Those replacement buildings in the center of Florence along and around the Arno are are very intelligently done. Simple, honest, humble, the right materials and color. They blend in with the surrounding historic buildings very well. The fabric of the city is uninterrupted by them.

by Anonymousreply 106December 8, 2020 5:22 AM

Lol R97. It looks like it could launch missiles.

I wonder if it was the Russians who were focusing microwaves on employees of the U.S. embassy in Havana.

by Anonymousreply 107December 8, 2020 5:41 AM

[quote]I think the Cité du Vin in Bordeaux is hideous. It's supposed to look like wine being poured into a glass.

Or a freshly landed dog turd in aluminium, R78.

by Anonymousreply 108December 8, 2020 12:19 PM

R36 if you want to see KFC architectural horror take a gander at their outlet in Marietta, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta, known locally as "The Big Chicken". It's been used for years as a guide point by pilots landing at Dobins AFB not far away. And yes, the chicken's beak does open and close.

For decades when someone asks an Atlanta local how to get to Marietta the answer has always been "head up 41 and turn left at the big chicken".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 8, 2020 12:34 PM

The Marcel Breuer designed Atlanta Central Library. 40 years of pure ugliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 8, 2020 12:41 PM

A library that looks like a Supermax prison.

by Anonymousreply 111December 8, 2020 12:46 PM

The Saudis do Big Ben by way of Disney and their tacky, gaudy taste and it is as dreadful as you would imagine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 8, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]A lot of these are cool, unique, and interesting.

Yeah, in a 3" x 4" photo, but not when you're walking around it or forced to stare at it from miles around.

by Anonymousreply 113December 8, 2020 12:58 PM

Speaking of San Francisco, don't forget about gay Nazi Philip Johnson's hideous Neiman-Marcus store. They've tweaked it in the past few years and it's slightly less horrible than it was when it opened in 1982, but considering it replaced the lovely and gracious City of Paris, it's still a blight on Union Square.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2020 1:04 PM

I like the big chicken. It’s kitsch, and being at the crossroads of two 4 lane highways full of Jiffy Lubes and tired strip malls it’s not making a beautiful setting any more ugly.

by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2020 1:28 PM

The collision of lots of money and absolutely no taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2020 2:07 PM

I know it’s not a “major” piece of architecture, but the standard issue American McMansion is hands down the definition of Architectural Horrification. Most of the above are at least somewhat coherent and make an effort. The architects of the modern American McMansion are the true horrors - defiling every acre of undeveloped nature in the US with these incoherent, appalling, mish-mash structures of vinyl siding and fake brick/stone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2020 2:10 PM

Frank Lloyd Wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2020 2:39 PM

The Ascent, Covington, Kentucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2020 4:16 PM

I really like the FLW house at R118.

by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2020 5:42 PM

Don't forget me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 8, 2020 6:03 PM

R121 is silly but I don't think it ranks as a horror.

by Anonymousreply 122December 8, 2020 8:21 PM

Picnic's over

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 8, 2020 8:24 PM

What a surprise. They couldn't find a buyer for the picnic basket building.

by Anonymousreply 124December 8, 2020 8:26 PM

[quote]. I thought the US might be represented by a classy, understated look

Can't think why

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 8, 2020 8:31 PM

The hideous mid 70s I.M. Pei designed penthouse addition to the 17 story Lamar building in downtown Augusta, Ga. built in 1918.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 8, 2020 10:11 PM

The Royal Ontario Museum is not worthy of its name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 8, 2020 11:39 PM

The worst part about that monstrosity R39 is they tore down some glorious victorian piles and 100s of townhouses from the early 1800's .

by Anonymousreply 128December 8, 2020 11:53 PM

"Can only be described as Butthole-esque." LOL !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 8, 2020 11:59 PM

R129 I don’t know, it can neither be described as coin slot or starfish? Maybe rosebud though?

by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2020 12:07 AM

And the inspiration for many of these horrors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 9, 2020 12:10 AM

Shrubs huddled in fear. Embrace the void.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 9, 2020 12:20 AM

R123 I wonder what happened. Last year it was reported that the picnic basket was being turned into a hotel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 9, 2020 2:46 AM

I've always thought Bunche Hall at UCLA (named for Nobel Laurate Ralph Bunche) was ugly as hell! Especially compared to the beautiful original quad-buildings (and other early campus buildings). It looks like a fucking waffle-iron! Not to mention....the way it sits up on legs/stilts always made me a little nervous, as a child of earthquake country. (spent a lot of time in that building, as a history major).

Here's a cool photo of Kareem with Dr. Bunche (who deserved a better-looking building), in front of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 9, 2020 2:54 AM

R134 We students called it "the waffle iron", probably because it looked like one, eh?

But I didn't (and don't) hate it. Sort of a graceful minimalism.

by Anonymousreply 135December 9, 2020 3:02 AM

Inspired by the recent posting here, I created a thread asking about the worst building on your college or university campus. This thread is great for well known buildings, but what about the little lost ugly buildings nestled on our academic campuses? Here’s a chance to expose and lament their terrible existence!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 9, 2020 4:53 AM

[quote] …what style they have is strictly determined by anodyne novelty…

I would describe very few of these as anodyne, R19. I think they range from silly to provocative to monstrous.

by Anonymousreply 137December 9, 2020 5:08 AM

R123, that picture is actually a fake. The building is intact.

by Anonymousreply 138December 9, 2020 5:36 AM

I’ve always wondered why a picnic basket company needed a 7 story HQ building

by Anonymousreply 139December 9, 2020 7:00 AM

These residence halls at Ohio State. Gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 9, 2020 7:52 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 9, 2020 9:29 AM

Federation Square, Melbourne - a glorified commercial centre with food retail and a 7-11, masquerading as 'a public place, the people's place'.

There's a reason it never appears on Melbourne postcards. It has no 'good side'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 9, 2020 10:06 AM

R139 I always thought so too, but apparently it had $1B in sales annually at its peak, down to $100M at it's lowest. I think it sold a range of luxury and homegood items, beyond picnic baskets.

by Anonymousreply 143December 9, 2020 10:33 AM

This stupidity called "Wonder Works" in Orlando. Something like this is only fit to be in an amusement park, not part of the cityscape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 9, 2020 10:48 AM

Agreed, R140. It's like something out of Soviet Russia Breathtaking in its ugliness.

by Anonymousreply 145December 9, 2020 11:07 AM

All the new Arizona State University dorms along Apache Boulevard in Tempe look like communist era buildings. I told a visitor that we had imported all the former East German architects and given them jobs. Not worth a picture, they're just boring and plain.

by Anonymousreply 146December 9, 2020 11:28 AM

R144 Wonder Works in Orlando IS an amusement park.

by Anonymousreply 147December 9, 2020 2:01 PM

Then it should be off the street where their stupid construction won't offend the eye of the general population.

by Anonymousreply 148December 9, 2020 2:36 PM

R87, they were not blown up by the Krauts but bombed away by the Americans. Like Monte Cassino.

by Anonymousreply 149December 9, 2020 2:42 PM

The Fed building, Indianapolis. What is it about Brutalism and government administration buildings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 9, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote] What is it about Brutalism and government administration buildings?

Most government entities are not going to spend huge sums of money on fancy architectural design and construction. They go for utility over looks.

by Anonymousreply 151December 9, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote]Most government entities are not going to spend huge sums of money on fancy architectural design and construction

Brutalist architecture was anything but cheap (those architects had bills to pay), and it wasn't all that utilitarian, either. It was all about the look, which dated quickly. I still like some of them, though—the more monumental ones that put one in mind of a Piranesi.

by Anonymousreply 152December 9, 2020 9:02 PM

Brutalist architecture has seen a major revival recently (see the Phaidon atlas) and has its own appeal. At least it is honest. As opposed to postmodern architecture with its silly citations, bullet windows, colorful pediments. Uggggh. The 80ies were the absolutely worst period in the history of architecture. And the Haas house in Vienna cited above wasn't the worst example... Having said that, the architecture department building at UC Berkeley is pretty bad :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2020 3:22 PM

R127 - I can't stop laughing at that monstrosity! It looks like a spaceship crashed into the side of a building.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2020 11:49 PM

Soldier Field.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 11, 2020 3:59 AM

No Sanjay. That is not the right picture. One architecture critic said that the new Soldier Field in Chicago looks like a spaceship crashed into a Greek temple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 11, 2020 4:15 AM

R126 I was going to post that one. What makes it especially horrendous is that it was added to a perfectly nice building. So what I.M. Pei did was to literally take a shit on and ruin another person's work.

by Anonymousreply 157December 11, 2020 4:16 AM

R157, isn't that, more or less, what I.M. Pei did to the Louvre. Parisians hated it at first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 11, 2020 5:05 AM

Brutalist buildings looks nice in glossy black and white coffee table book photos, but in real life they look depressingly drab and forbidding.

by Anonymousreply 159December 11, 2020 11:25 AM

I.M. Pei designed something much better for the Louvre. It works on a lot of levels. I don't love it but I respect it.

The first one is a complete failure and should be removed.

by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2020 11:33 AM

Parts of Milan are breathtakingly beautiful and truly underrated due to the attention heaped on other Italian cities like Rome, Venice and Florence. Then again, maybe it's deserved looking at buildings such as the horrific Torre Velasca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2020 12:05 PM

Tour Montparnasse, Paris, France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2020 12:07 PM

Centre Georges Pompidou - Paris, France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2020 12:11 PM

African Independence Architecture - The Kenyatta Convention Center in Nairobi, Kenya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2020 12:13 PM

The Romans supposedly hate this monument. But I think it's a magnificent construction, especially seen in real life. Sometimes people hate for no reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 11, 2020 12:16 PM

It's a confection, R165, born out of 19th-century nationalist enthusiasm and the typical eclectic overreach of that period's architecture. People make fun of it as "the wedding cake," and like a wedding cake maybe its exuberance and excess should be forgiven and indulged. But unlike a wedding cake, it dominates the Capitoline Hill and has stayed up there for a century plus.

by Anonymousreply 166December 11, 2020 12:43 PM

R162 you are so right about Tour Montparnasse. It sticks up like a giant middle finger, completely ruining the otherwise gracious Paris skyline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 11, 2020 1:32 PM

R167 looks like something that would have been built in downtown Los Angeles in 1975

by Anonymousreply 168December 11, 2020 1:53 PM

Ugh R167. Tear it down, along with all those stick buildings that are ruining NYC's skyline.

by Anonymousreply 169December 11, 2020 2:00 PM

Haven’t gone through the thread yet, but I assume someone has posted that horror up in Canada by that architect first name Daniel? High-profile architects have been terribly indulged in recent years. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone designed something in a traditional, beautiful way?

by Anonymousreply 170December 11, 2020 2:03 PM

I’m really surprised Parisians allowed the Tour Montparnasse to go up. I know the Eiffel Tower wasn’t well received when it first appeared, but it’s since become a beloved feature of the city. The Tour Montparnasse has absolutely zero charm.

And with all the limestone quarrying that took place beneath Paris over the centuries, I’m surprised such a tall building is able to stand right in the middle of it.

by Anonymousreply 171December 11, 2020 2:18 PM

I not so wild about la Grande Arche either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 11, 2020 3:39 PM

Habitat 67, Montreal, Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2020 5:19 PM

What is it with architecture firms using + in their names. Is that just a trendy convention or does it mean something?

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2020 5:36 PM

The previous mentions of the Seattle Public Library are correct. It's designed to be hideous on the inside as well. Lurid greens and chartreuse abound. A sloping ramp throughout the stacks makes everything feel off-kilter and psychologically distressing.

by Anonymousreply 175December 12, 2020 10:29 AM

R172 Yes, the whole La Défense area is full of awful architecture, more befitting Texas than Paris, but at least it's some distance away from the center of Paris, so it can be more easily ignored. Tour Montparnasse is right in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 12, 2020 2:08 PM

Agree La Defense is pen for the worst - because it defiles an otherwise beautiful architectural city. I remember thinking that upon my first visit 30 years ago - when it was still somewhat newer. An abomination.

by Anonymousreply 177December 12, 2020 2:13 PM

"El Mirador" in Madrid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 12, 2020 10:29 PM

The elephant building in Bangkok goes beyond La Defense.

Habitat67 in Montreal was designed to give every unit views, privacy and other amenities in the context of urbanism. A rare academic thesis that was actually built. Apparently it works as planned and people still want to live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 13, 2020 2:38 AM

Kaden Tower in Louisville, Kentucky reminds me of granny's antique lace tissue box cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 13, 2020 5:26 AM

Portland Building by Michael Graves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 13, 2020 5:53 AM

Liberty Place in Philadelphia. The spires are silly and ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 13, 2020 5:55 AM

Harold Washington Library in Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 13, 2020 6:19 AM

What do you call this style in the 80s where they nod and gesture toward traditional designs, but in a perfunctory way, and the whole thing comes across as looking like they didn't want to spend the money?

by Anonymousreply 184December 13, 2020 11:29 AM

R184 Postmodern? It's often a basic box in design, with some cheap basic adornments to make it look like it's not just a basic box.

by Anonymousreply 185December 13, 2020 1:50 PM

The former Central Bank of Ireland building on Dame Street in Dublin is an ugly 1970s intrusion in a quarter filled with 18th and 19th century buildings. It's currently being redeveloped into and office/retail complex, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 13, 2020 2:30 PM

Let's try that link again -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 13, 2020 2:32 PM

R187 - looks like a car park.

by Anonymousreply 188December 13, 2020 2:33 PM

The 1984 Phillip Johnson ATT building in NY was one of the first postmodern towers. It’s basically a brick box with an unusual roofline that resembles a grandfather clock or a chippendale dresser. I like that it is brick. This would never be built today when everything is cheap glass curtain wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 13, 2020 2:38 PM

R184 R185 I remember it being called Postmodernism or "Neo-Ornamentalism". But a Google search didn't bring up much of the later. I do remember it as very much aligned to the zeitgeist... turning away from, resolving, modifying, rescuing us from stark and simple modernism. Like the other "what's New Wave?" thread. Something was happening in the 70s to 80s universal unconsciousness. Things needed to be new. I guess that's always true. But often "here's the New!" later looks "that was really stupid!"

by Anonymousreply 190December 13, 2020 4:09 PM

I find most post-modern buildings twee and precious.

This is the top of a 50 story building in Atlanta.

I imagine Rolf and Liesl dancing about in the golden pavilion at the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 13, 2020 7:58 PM

R191, that one at least has little fake Gothic thingies all over it. Most in that style are really spare to the point where you wonder why they bothered.

by Anonymousreply 192December 13, 2020 8:03 PM

I think Detroit's is beautiful. Others will be horrified. I haven't seen the Detroit-filmed Batman movie, but I hope it's featured prominently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 13, 2020 8:11 PM

R191 That has always been one of my favorite buildings in Atlanta's skyline.

by Anonymousreply 194December 14, 2020 1:16 AM

Penn Station in NYC is horrifying once you see what used to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 14, 2020 1:17 AM

"Gotham Tower", Brisbane, Australia.

Postmodernist-GothLite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 14, 2020 1:24 AM

This thing in Toronto. Barf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 14, 2020 1:58 AM

Ugliness happens to houses, too. This one is in Belgium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 14, 2020 2:16 AM

I work in the One Atlantic Center building at R191. Well, I did up until the pandemic.

The tallest building here is the B of A tower. While it looks good from afar at night I think the top pinnacle is a hot mess that looks ugly and unfinished by day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 14, 2020 3:34 AM

R199 I agree for years whenever I saw it I wondered when they were going to finish construction, then I figured out they meant for it to look like that.

by Anonymousreply 200December 14, 2020 4:06 AM

Hey Stanny White at R195, even that's a cheap knock-off.

by Anonymousreply 201December 15, 2020 12:18 AM

I couldn't disagree more, R183. I think the building is spectacular and classic.

by Anonymousreply 202December 15, 2020 4:22 AM

R201, knock off it may have been. Cheap it was not.

by Anonymousreply 203December 15, 2020 5:18 AM

RMIT University, Melbourne. What a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 15, 2020 6:14 AM

[quote]I couldn't disagree more, R183. I think the building is spectacular and classic.

Nope. The roof looks terrible and the roof decorations are really over the top, like SJP wearing a dress with a huge floral decoration.

by Anonymousreply 205December 15, 2020 7:05 AM

R2 looks like a giant cockroach!

by Anonymousreply 206December 15, 2020 7:28 AM

China's Tianzi Hotel. So grand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 15, 2020 7:55 AM

R207 - funny, I think that looks totally cool!

by Anonymousreply 208December 15, 2020 11:57 AM

Cool if you were in the Chinese version of Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 209December 15, 2020 5:30 PM

r208 r209

Yeah, or a theme park. "Taoist World"... the Immortals Ride!!

by Anonymousreply 210December 15, 2020 7:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!