Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Did The First People Know To Drink Cow Milk?

I can see them seeing calves drinking it, but what possibly could make them think, 'That's for me'?

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2020 6:27 AM

I'm more interested how they first came up with the idea of consuming beef. That hunter gatherer deserves a gold star!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2020 4:14 AM

Good point, R1.

Did they start w/an animal already dead? How did they know to kill and eat it?

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2020 4:17 AM

They saw animals eating meat, so obviously they too would know it was edible.

Humans were used to babies drinking milk from their females’ tits, so drinking milk wasn’t really a new phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2020 4:21 AM

That’s what you ask, OP?

How did people know to go into beehives and risk getting stung to eat honey?

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2020 4:26 AM

How did they know to close their eyes and lie down when it got dark? And who taught them to dream?

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2020 4:26 AM

These are all valid questions.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote] How did they know to close their eyes and lie down when it got dark?

Best thing for them really. Their therapy was going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2020 4:31 AM

"Mum? Do you know why Rhodesia is called Rhodesia?" - Ralph Garibaldi, son from 'Most Awful Family in Britain' sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2020 4:38 AM

It’s udderly baffling.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2020 4:38 AM

Maybe by observing other predators and their prey, R2?

I wonder who was the first to figure out how tasty cooking their catch would be.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote] I wonder who was the first to figure out how tasty cooking their catch would be.

My name Gorg.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2020 4:43 AM

Most people *never* learned to drink cow’s milk. About 75% of the world’s population is lactose intolerant; once they’re off breast milk that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2020 4:49 AM

Because the bull didn’t enjoy being milked, Rose!!

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2020 4:52 AM

More importantly - how did oysters become something other than an object of utter horror?

I love them - don’t get me wrong - but they’re not exactly appetising looking.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2020 5:01 AM

How did they know to use toilet paper? Did they fall on a leaf and it wiped the poo off their backsides?

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2020 5:02 AM

[quote]About 75% of the world’s population is lactose intolerant.

That's complete bull shit. That's only true if you lack the gene to digest it. So in Asian and African cultures, it's like 60%. But in Denmark it's only 2%. So most white people or people of European decent shouldn't have this problem. Which is also why cheese making is big in those countries. It goes back thousands of years and has to do with climates and the consumption of available food. The colder it got, the more important the gene became part of the Human DNA for survival. Plus colder environments meant foods lasted longer at those temperatures without spoiling.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2020 5:07 AM

I wonder who the first person was to look at a spiny lobster and thought, hmm, I wonder what that tastes like. Scorpions of the sea.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2020 5:10 AM

Eat or be eaten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote] Scorpions of the sea.

Manatees. Shar Peis of the sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2020 5:13 AM

I wonder how humans learned which mushrooms to avoid. Did they see one guy keel over from eating a mushroom, and then one of the remaining tribe members says to the others, "See the one with orange spots. Let's not eat that type. That one killed Moog."

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2020 5:15 AM

The first person to drink milk HAD to be gay.

A long, cylindrical flesh tube with a drop of white liquid rolling around on the tip?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2020 5:35 AM

What about bread and cake? Adding yeast to batter and heating it to make it fluffy and delicious??

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote] How Did The First People Know To Drink Cow Milk?

They probably started with either goat's milk or sheep's milk long before cows milk. Sheep and goat herders were around long before anyone started with cows. Goats and sheep are smaller animals that could be over powered easily by man, cows not so much.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2020 1:17 PM

Oh dear r16! Did that person say 70% of white people? They said 70% of the world. Most of the world isn't white dear.

The majority of humans on earth are lactose intolerant. About 68%, which rounds up to 70% like that poster said.

God, people who don't know what they are talking about are always the loudest to jump in.

[Quote]Experts estimate that about 68 percent of the world’s population has lactose malabsorption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2020 1:19 PM

How did they know if you crack an egg and heat it up it becomes solid and tasty?

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2020 1:30 PM

You guys all seem to think human beings materialized on planet Earth and observed animals and thought, "Would it be normal to eat or to drink that?"

We're animals that co-evolved with animals. We are omnivorous. Human beings breastfeed. Early human beings did not have bizarre religiously based modesty that made them cover up women's breasts. All people would have been familiar with babies suckling on breast milk and they would have recognized that other animals do the same. What made people drink another animal's milk? Probably thirst, a need for a mobile source of hydration and nutrition. You can't take a river with you as you follow herds around for food, but you can access female animals' breast milk. All of this would have developed through hypothesizing, trial and error over countless generations. It's not a mystery.

Has anyone here ever been legitimately hungry? Even as we have been socialized, a raw oyster would suddenly look and smell perfectly fine to eat if we were starving. Wild animals, including human beings, eat and drink what is available to them and what gives them energy to carry on living and to make them feel better.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2020 1:45 PM

R20 Yes. The same way birds avoid certain berries. The same way otters learn from their parents what urchins and mullosks to eat and how to use tooks to get the meat out of them. Consider that early human beings did not spend their childhoods in school. They spent their childhoods in the school of nature. Their parents and communities taught them how to survive and prepare food and make supplies like clothing, weapons and homes. Just like we learn not to eat wild mushrooms at all when we are young, along with biology and geography, they learned in much greater detail what to eat and what not to eat.

Human beings 200,000 years ago had the same intellectual capacities we do today. They just didn't have the same infrastructures or the same cumulative knowledge from which to draw. They thought constantly and they shared knowledge in families, communities and generationally. Many of us would perish quickly if we were thrown into the wild for a full year. We don't have the knowledge ancient people have; they had different but very sophisticated knowledge tailored for their environmentsand societies just as we do.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2020 1:51 PM

[quote] How did they know if you crack an egg and heat it up it becomes solid and tasty?

I would guess, like everything, a combination of happenstance and experimentation. Probably early human beings, being omnivores, may have foraged in the woods after a forest fire and might have been drawn to the smell of cooked flesh and eaten it, and then replicated it by learning to start fires and put animals they hunted and plants they gathered into the fires, and then noting how some things "melt" in the fires began using stones and other surfaces to cook on, and then from there they would have just experiemented with all different kinds of preparation.

When I was a child, I was always experimenting with things and my parents let me do it to a certain extent...my dad explained evaporation to me when I was very young and it seemed kind of magical to me and I wanted to try other things. So I filled up glasses with water and ice expecting to see the glass overflow when the ice melted. Then I let a glass of Coca-Cola sit around too long and it got moldy and I thought that was fascinating, etc. But I was a kid living in the 1980s, when they knew mold was 'gross' and likely dangerous--because other people had already done these sorts of things before me and documented results. Imagine that they hadn't. Imagine curious young human individuals having nothing to do with their limited spare time but to experiment, for hypotheses, experiment, etc. etc. It's a recipe for a hell of a lot of trial and erorr and a great deal of learning that can be passed down generationally and built upon even before literacy.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2020 2:11 PM

Native Americans invented popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2020 2:31 PM

I want to know who figured out how to eat an artichoke.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote]R28 Their parents and communities taught them how to survive and prepare food and make supplies like clothing, weapons and homes.

But who taught the parents how to speak, so they could convey all that? We know they did not have dictionaries, so it follows they did not have words.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2020 2:42 PM

[quote]R28 When I was a child, I was always experimenting with things

Savage!

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2020 2:45 PM

[quote] We know they did not have dictionaries, so it follows they did not have words.

Please confirm that this is a joke. Please.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2020 2:49 PM

Their grammar must have been atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2020 2:59 PM

I have always wondered how man found that cooked meat and vegetables tasted much better than raw since no other animal does anything like this.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2020 3:38 PM

Interesting article on the history of milk consumption. Fermented milk products were used centuries before raw milk consumption became common.

Interesting in areas where lactose intolerance is high, there are still distinct populations that drink milk regularly (Maasai in Sub-Saharan Africa, yak milk consumption in Tibet, mare/ yak/ small ruminant milk in Mongolia).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]"See the one with orange spots. Let's not eat that type. That one killed Moog."

Probably more like that one killed Gavin. "Moog"s would have been from Ur and Ug land where it was all desert shithole wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2020 6:01 PM

[quote]I have always wondered how man found that cooked meat and vegetables tasted much better than raw since no other animal does anything like this.

Burnt offerings to the gods, R35, originally in imitation of lightning strikes. The odor of meat charring is insatiable.

And since the gods don't actually eat the offerings, it's left up to the supplicants to do so.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2020 3:24 AM

How did the first people figure out to fuck?

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2020 3:34 AM

How did the first people learn to use coin operated washers/driers at the laundromat? If they could not read - how did they follow signs, printed instructions, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2020 3:48 AM

Calvin pondered the milk question ages ago, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2020 3:56 AM

How did they know to drain the pasta properly?

Or even that pasta had to be cooked?

Or even that pasta was a food?

Did they see animals buying pasta, cooking it and draining it?

Which came first, the chicken salad or the egg salad?

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2020 4:24 AM

I'll get to the milk theory in a sec --

But is seems like people like R1 R2 R3 are of the religious persuasion who think humans just magically popped into existence one day, fully formed, on a planet full of plants and animals. And then had to go about deciding on what to eat and how.

Those of us who now about evolution know we were beasts ourselves for millions of years before we became human. We've been eating other animals from the time we were beasts just like other animals have eaten us. Call it animal instinct call it will to survive but we had low level animal brains back then so no higher thought went into eating meat to live.

Now, about COW MILK; Animal milk drinking came about with the farming of livestock with goats, sheep, and later cattle just over 10 thousand years ago. The theory is starvation situations caused early farmers to try livestock milk.

This might have been done with a beast of burden they weren't going to eat until absolutely necessary. You figure they're going to try to get as much use out of the animal as possible, so why not take some of its milk while offspring are nursing before resorting to killing it for its meat.

And they knew it was okay to drink by.... trying a bit, then a bit more, then more. Just like they would do any unknown food source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2020 11:24 AM

How did people know to put kernels in the microwave to make them pop and turn them into something edible?

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2020 12:37 PM

"I want to know who figured out how to eat an artichoke."

Gorg: "It may choke Artie but it won't choke me."

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2020 12:41 PM

They had to suck a lot of bulls before they figured out the cow.

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2020 12:44 PM

We are just more sophisticated apes and most apes occasionally and other animals to eat their meat.

Evolution

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2020 12:59 PM

*kill

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2020 1:00 PM

They found it on the supermarket shelf, Rose.

(Originally they thought it was a container which held the clues for a scavenger hunt to find missing children).

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2020 1:05 PM

it was most likely yoghurt that people ate first

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2020 1:10 PM

I wonder if they eat turkey in Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2020 1:10 PM

Omg what is this, college freshman first bong hit day? "Whoa dude, how do the stars stay up in the sky?"

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2020 8:00 PM

I could talk or not talk about this for hours and still find things to not talk about.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2020 8:10 PM

How come no one drinks pig milk, except piglets?

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2020 11:09 PM

R54 Hopefully Piglet doesn't eat Winnie's pooh.

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 12:32 PM

The urge to suck tits is STRONG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2020 1:33 PM

How did they know putting your mouth on a cock would feel good?

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2020 6:10 AM

Don’t cows without calves have to be milked to be relieved of pain?

Humans must have thought, “Why let it go to waste if Bessie needs to get rid of this?”

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2020 6:36 AM

How did people first know how to balance a checkbook?

Observing animals can’t teach you that.

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2020 6:38 AM

Who taught gays how to have gay sex ?

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2020 6:39 AM

Iyut wuz dahnosauruses cuz Jayzuss sayud sowe!

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2020 6:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2020 6:48 AM

Who thought up math? Animals didn't.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2020 6:59 AM

How come pineapples don't come off of pine trees or apple trees? And isn't a grape also a fruit? Why didn't they call the big yellow or pink citrus fruit something else?

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2020 10:54 AM

It amazes me how much of human history is unwritten. Modern humans have been around for about 200,000 years but our earliest examples of writing are from 3200 BCE.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2020 12:00 PM

This thread reminds me of Andy Rooney on "60 Minutes".

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2020 12:25 PM

Corn. When did people first eat corn?

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2020 1:04 PM

We called it maize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2020 1:21 PM

How did the first man know how to masturbate and what would happen?

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2020 6:19 PM

It kind of makes sense that in French potatoes are called apples of the earth, but what doesn't make sense is why prunes are called prunes. Why not just call them dried plums?

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2020 8:52 PM

OP, you do know that people produce milk, yes?

by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2020 9:03 PM

Is it true men will produce some sort of milk/colostrum if suckled long enough?

Wait... I really don’t want to know - -

And neither did the original people!!

by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2020 9:06 PM

I wonder who wrote the book of love.

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2020 9:06 PM

I want to know what love is.

And I want the First People to show me.

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2020 9:32 PM

[quote]It kind of makes sense that in French potatoes are called apples of the earth, but what doesn't make sense is why prunes are called prunes. Why not just call them dried plums?

Why when you spend hours in the water, you hands turn into purnes, no plums?

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2020 6:24 AM

What idiot decided started the trend of eating small grains of rice with two stick? Come on, not all of man's inventions are good ones, the spoon has been around for over 1,000 years!

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2020 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!