Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Burton Trashing Alain Delon

From Richard Burton's diaries:

I think Ron would be on more securely prophetic grounds if he warned me of Alain Delon who apparently will go with a Swan to get on.

Now there's a bloke who would like to get Elizabeth Taylor away from Richard Burton if you like. And don't think Ron that he won't try. Look at the publicity for Chrissake, and in Rome too of all places. I mean, he would love to do a Burton on Burton. And I mean, this guy had a go at Elizabeth through an emissary when E and I were lovers in Rome and at the pinnacle of our scandal. Here is a man who will stop at very little.

I don't know him and neither does E but I have an idea that I know his type very well. A sort of perennial juvenile delinquent who gets vicarious kicks out of hob-nobbing with the underworld. Very attractive to women. Not unlike Frank Sinatra and George Raft and Stanley Baker in their various milieux but without, in Frank's case at least, their talent. Actually, I know very little about his acting as I have, as far as I know, only seen him once in a film called Rocco and his brothers which must have been made about 1960.

A Visconti film, I think, in which Delon seemed as queer as an Arab but very very pretty and Visconti (with who, I hear, he set up house for a few years) and the camera lingered lovingly and almost lasciviously over his exquisite little bones in vast close-up after vast close-up.

Recently – that is a year or two ago – he was involved with an underworld killing of some kind. His chauffeur-companion, a bad lot with a record who was Delon's ‘bodyguard’ as well was shot dead in Delon's house in Paris or maybe it was an apartment. It was news in France – front page stuff for Paris Presse, Ici Paris, France Soir etc. – but it all died down after a while and I don't know exactly how deeply Delon was compromised. Anyway, he wasn't locked up or anything but spent a lot of time being questioned by the police

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2020 2:19 PM

Wednesday 27th, Rome :.... I did two scenes today one with Schneider and one with Delon. Delon is surprisingly small. From a distance he looks six feet but close to he is only about 5’ 8".

Thursday 7th [...] Another good thing is that apart from 3 scenes I don't have to work with Delon who is so non-actor that I think I would be embarrassed.mHe should be ok though in this part as E says he is marvellous at playing killer-gangsters and so on.

I Am also pleased that I have only one scene with Miss Schneider as from what I hear she is uneasy to work with. [...] Ron, with his usual look of dark foreboding, says that she ruined the film they did in Israel for John Heyman with Richard Harris playing the star male lead and directing which Ron says was meant to be a sweet film about a small boy's adoration for a great veteran footballer but, he said, with more and more and darker and darker foreboding, she raped Mr Harris and by means of the bedroom literally fucked the film up into a love story between herself and Mr Harris.."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2020 12:09 AM

Burton was quite a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Scratch an actor...

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Romy Schneider:

‘Ah,’ Ron says, ‘Romy Schneider is the kind who will come in on her days off like pretending that she wants to watch you work because you're a great actor and all that I'm telling you Rich you've got to watch it.’ ‘But Ron. I've met the woman and I thought she was pretty dog-like and wouldn't have been interested in her even in the old days.’ ‘

I saw her a lot when we were doing Sandpiper in Paris and she was doing Pussycat with the Peters O'Toole and Sellers and she was for ever in the bar and so were we, that I simply can't remember what she looks like. I have a vague memory of someone small"

’Yesterday, we worked well. [...] I worked with Romy Schneider for the first time. She is very arch. She displayed none of the ‘temperament’ which apparently manifests itself in screaming at the hairdresser, make-up man etc..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2020 12:17 AM

Burton was a closet case; this is all misplaced desire. We've all done it - been indifferent if not downright hostile to someone we're attracted to but could never have.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2020 12:23 AM

R5 Hahaaa, LMAO

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2020 12:25 AM

Anyway, maybe this was his real opinion about Alain Delon.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2020 12:26 AM

He's absolutely right about this:

[quote]A sort of perennial juvenile delinquent who gets vicarious kicks out of hob-nobbing with the underworld. Very attractive to women.

Excellent description of Delon.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2020 12:26 AM

R8 Agree,

Also "Alain Delon who apparently will go with a Swan to get on" was a perfect description of Delon.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2020 12:30 AM

WTF "queer as an Arab" mean?!!!

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2020 12:33 AM

Don't Alain and Brigitte Bardot both have the same right-wing views? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2020 12:33 AM

R11 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2020 12:35 AM

Every time I see OP's excerpts from these diaries, all I can think of is what awful people and creeps they all are. Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, Helmut Berger - stupid, crass trash, all of them.

"at the pinnacle of our scandal" - what he really loves is being a celebrity. Just a loser.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2020 12:39 AM

R13 = Bitter Alain Delon

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2020 12:41 AM

Burton sounds obsessed and jealous. R5 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2020 12:46 AM

I see that DL queens really Loves Alain Delon. In the other thread of Richard Burton and Helmut Berger, in which Burton called Helmut a "queer", bullied and threatened him. People were downplaying Burton's actions, blaming and trashing Helmut Berger instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2020 12:55 AM

R13 What does Helmut Berger have to do with this thread?!!

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2020 12:56 AM

This movie "The Assassination of Trotsky" 1972 is soooo bad and unintentionally hilarious!

Director Joseph Losey made some excellent movie and many crap films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2020 1:01 AM

Damn R12. Fuck them all then. Never got the hot regarding Delon. The politics are another reason to be unimpressed by him. And Bardot has turned into an ugly racist, anti-semitic bag lady.

What was it about Burton that brought out the chav trash in Liz? They both were so tacky in the late 60s and early 70s. Was she like this with Mike Todd?

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2020 1:25 AM

Alain Delon is one of the greatest movie stars but he was by most accounts an extremely shady person. And there are rumors he was involved in sex trafficking in France.

[quote] "If a slap is macho, then I am macho," he said, adding that women had hit him and that he had never "broken" a woman.

His son said Delon had beaten his mother, breaking eight of her ribs and her nose twice.

Delon has been vocal about his sympathies towards the far-right movements in France and his interest in stopping immigration into his country.

He has also claimed publicly that gay couples shouldn't have the right to have or adopt children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2020 1:30 AM

R20 True, and DL queens are only interested in trashing Helmut Berger (when he was not even mentioned in this thread) while lusting over Alain Delon.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2020 1:34 AM

Delon was the definition of a beautiful man. Very very handsome. Too bad he’s an asshole

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2020 2:33 AM

He and Bardot should be deported.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2020 1:44 PM

Allegedly, Rock Hudson made a pilgrimage to Europe to meet up with Alain and check him out up close and personal. He let it be known after their "meeting" that, quelle horreur, Alain had a small/average dick. NEXT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2020 2:12 PM

Hudson liked light hair on his men.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2020 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!