Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Traditional Houses Around the World

If you had the choice, which type of traditional house would you want to live in? You can take into consideration the architecture, surrounding landscape these houses are typically located, construction material, space, versatility for home decoration, etc.... Me, I'm partial to the Swiss chalet surrounded by mountains, meadows, and streams. However, I would be tempted with the Hanok type of house from Korea especially in a seaside town, this type of design is sort of like an compound with enclosed courtyard and has heated floors indoors.

What other types of traditional housing around the world would you live in or ones that you appreciate for one thing or another?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2020 10:16 PM

Another link with some other types of traditional houses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2020 4:53 PM

Yet another article with more choices of traditional housing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2020 4:54 PM

This is traditional where I'm from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2020 4:54 PM

None of them OP.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2020 5:01 PM

R4 lives in a McMansion in Ohio and is just minutes away from Dillard's. The ultimate utopia.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2020 5:08 PM

I like the set up of the courtyard houses. It gives you nice privacy. But you need a lot of room to have a decent full courtyard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2020 5:09 PM

Yes. Courtyard for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2020 5:12 PM

A modest villa right on Lake Como

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2020 5:13 PM

I’d like something along the lines of Windsor Castle, but without the tourists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2020 5:13 PM

I've never desired a large house only lots of beautiful land or ocean front.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2020 5:15 PM

I also like the "modest" size, austere but baroque Schloss style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2020 5:20 PM

I like the Irish stone cottage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2020 5:21 PM

Welcome to my lovely (in my dreams) Swiss chalet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2020 5:28 PM

I like Traditional Tiki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2020 5:30 PM

I like Traditional Tiki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2020 5:30 PM

The Irish stone cottage by the sea is my ideal.

A courtyard house would be lovely as well.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2020 5:30 PM

I want a vast Victorian pile with umpteen number of rooms, gorgeous woodwork, and large enough to get lost in.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2020 5:31 PM

R17 I don’t know why but all those empty rooms would unnerve me. It must be the oddest phobia out there!

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2020 5:33 PM

Something Georgian. I like the symmetry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2020 5:34 PM

R18 You're not the only one who's unnerved by large house with multiple, empty rooms. That's why I'd rather have a smaller house surrounded by larger piece of land.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2020 5:41 PM

R17 - would this suffice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2020 5:42 PM

An ideal American Traditional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2020 5:43 PM

I want an Icelandic turf house with goats and sheep grazing on top.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2020 5:44 PM

R23 That's my 3rd choice after Swiss chalet and Hanok. It appeals to the hobbit house sensibility in me.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2020 5:46 PM

Trulli houses in Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2020 5:48 PM

R20 But why? Why is it so unsettling? I think of being in a large empty house with empty furnished rooms and feel a sense of panic.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2020 5:48 PM

because people could be living there and you would never know it

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2020 5:51 PM

R27 for me it’s more the actual stillness of the empty rooms, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2020 5:52 PM

R26, No, I do feel panic in a large empty house with empty rooms. I lived with my grandparents in Okinawa for a short time as a child after my parents got divorced. They had a very large farmhouse-like compound with enclosed courtyard surround by acres of land, it was just us as they were old and retired. I had a vivid imagination so I would be scared out of my mind at night whenever I heard noises coming out of empty rooms. It didn't help matters that they had these ancestral carvings and figures as decorations to ward off evil, but in the dark looked fucking creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2020 5:58 PM

Miss Marple style:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2020 6:02 PM

American ranch home on 10 acres of land and over 400 overall acres in the property. Now all I have to do is rustle up some cowboys to work the sporting ranch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote]rustle up some cowboys to work the sporting ranch.

We all know "sporting ranch" refers to your hole, you whore.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2020 10:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!