Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Chocolate Robber Baron Milton Hershey’s Mansion Opens for Rare Public Tours! What say you?

Nestled in the company town he built from the riches he made off of his candy empire, the mansion was built in1908 designed by a local Lancaster county architect. Currently headquarters for the foundation, the rarely accessible house has opened for tours last month and this month, sold out and now are expanding to more slots. There’s a link to an earlier slide show of the interiors inside. I’m not enamored of the exterior except for the stone work, but the stainglass and wall treatments look exceptional. Especially, the aesthetic movement styled Ivanhoe murals from the billiards room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2021 3:40 PM

Here’s the link to the slide show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2020 3:20 PM

Carbs are slave foods.

This is like making Tara into a theme park.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2020 3:21 PM

High Point + Hershey? Talk about FLAVAH!

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2020 3:37 PM

Interesting. I only visited Hershey once as s child and it's more or less as I recall.

The curious thing is that it is big, but very middle class, the sort of house you find on the edge of any Eastern U.S. town that had a bit of prosperity in the early 20thC - the home of a judge, or owner of a fruit canning factory, where all the children went away to school and toured Europe and landed permanently in big cities.

The surprise of the place comes inside where the entry hall serves as a complex circulatory system and gets all the attention. It is showy, especially with the fine domed skylight, but in a somewhat commercial (maybe not unsurprisingly.) At it's heart it's like a fancy middle class emporium for ostrich plumed hats for Edwardian ladies; but except when looking straight up, the rest is a bit ordinary, only bigger. I've seen some of this architect's work in Lancaster and it's been both quieter and much more sophisticated. It seems he might have had some success in bridging proper entrances off the circular core of the hall, and that's something of a trick. I suspect he had some quite specific requests of Hershey to execute, so I'll place the shortcomings on the client more than the architect.

More photos might make me more or less charitable.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2020 3:43 PM

We took the Hershey Highway to get there.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2020 3:45 PM

Milton Hershey's father was a bibliophile, while his mother was not. "Sadly, when his father died in 1904, one of the first thing that [Hershey's] mom does is burn his father's library,"

Uh huh. We know what this collection was.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2020 3:54 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2020 3:56 PM

A little heavy on the chocolate brown, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2020 4:12 PM

Hahaha OP, *I* see what you did there

"Nestled in the company town..."

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2020 5:43 PM

Looks like an old funeral home. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2020 5:56 PM

But the house lacks white cabinets, quartz countertops, and an open concept. How could one live there with these design failures? We must have Joanna Gaines or Christina Anstead provide their services.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2020 6:43 PM

Its OK.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2020 6:48 PM

It’s an interesting period home. As R4 noted, it is very Edwardian upper middle class.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2020 7:02 PM

R4? Marry me now.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2020 7:03 PM

OP, Mansion or no mansion, I don't think DL is the demographic for your topic. Here is a pic I found of those most likely to visit.

Just an observation! And thanks, new travel suggestions can be interesting. Not always, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2020 7:19 PM

Don't forget the trashy "Live, Laugh, Love" signs hanging on every fucking wall, R11. No house is complete without them.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2020 7:41 PM

Thank, R14, but good luck finding a keen architectural observer not already married off. The demand for that sort of thing is huge. Also I live far, far away from Hershey, Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2020 7:46 PM

Like all things named High Point, I LAHV IT! Need extra calories? I have enough, thank you. But for chocolate lahvers, this mansion is a chocolate lahvers dream! This Hershey's High Point has extra FLAVAH! I approve!

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2020 7:55 PM

Oh, fuck, I missed R3. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2020 7:56 PM

I'm disappointed because it's exactly what I expected,

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2020 8:02 PM

Scat heaven

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Its very nice. A little dark and the sculptures are ... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2020 9:00 PM

No prob, R18/19; we can never have enough Betty-for-High-Point!

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2020 9:10 PM

This is interesting, much of what I’ve heard before, but a better scientific explanation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2021 7:00 PM

As back passages go, I love the Hershey hallway!

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2021 7:02 PM

For a man whose name was imprinted LARGE on a product that nearly every American hand held at one point or another, he had awfully Middle Class taste.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2021 7:37 PM

Love Lives Here

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote] stainglass

There is no such word, but, annoyingly, there is a street in Plano Texas with that name..

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2021 10:37 PM

Stainglass is what I call my special coffee table.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2021 10:41 PM

The stained glass is nice but it gets to be overkill. The exterior doesn't seem to know what style it wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2021 11:13 PM

Is there a discount for fudgepackers?

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2021 1:49 AM

Do you get to see the sex dungeon on the tour?

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2021 1:54 AM

Don't even bother. Instead visit the home of Former President James Buchanan who was the first gay President, the only President from Pennsylvania and who historians consistently rank as the worst president ever.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2021 3:31 AM

Which reminds me of George Eastman's mansion in Rochester, designed by McKim, Mead & White and now a museum of photography what else.

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2021 6:04 AM

[quote]who historians consistently rank as the worst president ever

Not anymore, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2021 5:49 PM

I think its surprisingly pretty for its era . Some parts are heavy and dark,but many are airy and pretty .

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2021 6:16 PM

You have to admit... Hershey's family have all those "lovely Billions& Billions of dollars" hidden away for years. And this is the family "Money not in the trusts"

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2021 7:10 PM

There are no Hershey heirs: Milton Hershey had no children. He left almost everything to that school and his charitable foundation.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2021 1:35 AM

His factory workers were HOT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2021 2:02 AM

^ Years ago someone here posted that his orphan school was infested with pederast teachers

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2021 2:05 AM

My family took us on a road trip to Hershey Park back in the 80's, it was a lot of fun. What was also interesting though is that all the street lights near the park have Hershey Kisses shaped covers over them.

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2021 3:25 PM

To (R-38) Years ago, my 1st boss at Goldman Sachs(early 90's) did business with the Hershey Trust. While their are no direct heirs from Milton Hershey, there are Hershey heirs that work for the Trust(and school) Irving is gonna get back to me with more information. Irving is one of the few men ion Wall Street I trusted and still do!!

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2021 8:49 PM

Christ, the school is spending $139,000.00 a year educating its pupils, yeah I think there’s something wrong there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2021 8:29 AM

I’ll have to stop sometime as my hubby goes to the Hershey and Carlisle car shows. The house is a fairly typical center hall home of the era until you get inside. It is nicely done, but far less ostentatious than those homes of other industrialists. As some above point out there is a certain middle class ethos here, but it shows most in the furnishings, some of which I know are not original. The foyer and staircase beg for a lighter color.

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2021 9:04 AM

R42 I think folks are confusing the now non-existent Hershey family with the still very-existent and very wealthy Reese family, which was close to Hershey and gained a big stake in the company when Reese's Pieces merged with it. The Reese family has indeed been imvolved with the school and the trust.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2021 9:16 AM

This is a stunning house, not quite perfect but not far from it. Love the interior, and the exterior.

If I had the sort of money to do a no holds barred new build somewhere really nice I would build something very much like this

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2021 3:19 PM

Reese's Pieces did not exist when the two companies merged in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2021 3:28 PM

The exterior is rather ugly---a real mishmash of styles. The entry does seem kindof commercial like a mansion converted to law offices or a funeral home. It's a bit dark and gloomy.

by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2021 3:35 PM

I would love to take a trip on the Hershey Highway.

by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2021 3:36 PM

A lot of people think the Reese's company is actually called Reese's Pieces Company, I've noticed. Not sure where it comes from but it's common enough that I don't do a double take when I hear it.

It's actually The H.B. Reese Candy Company and it's a subsidiary of Hershey Chocolate Corp. now, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2021 3:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!