Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Colby’s Home For Sale

Well, actually Barron Hilton.

The Paul R. Williams-designed property in the Holmby Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles that’s owned by the estate of the late hotelier and philanthropist William Barron Hilton was listed Tuesday for $75 million.

Hilton, who had served as the chairman, president and chief executive officer of Hilton Hotels Corporation and chairman emeritus of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, died in September 2019 at age 91.

His estate is selling the property. And his son, Rick Hilton and grandson, Barron N. Hilton, both of brokerage Hilton and Hyland, are handling the sale.

Rick Hilton said his family has owned the property for more than 50 years.

“I have five brothers and two sisters. Everyone lived in the same house,” said Mr. Hilton, who had moved there with his family when he was 12. “There was no need for playdates.”

The home was designed in 1936 by Williams for Jay Paley, whose family founded the Congress Cigar Company and the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS). Williams was a pioneering Black architect who designed the homes of numerous celebrities including Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, Barbara Stanwyck and Charles Correll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2020 4:55 AM

Nothing to do with The Colby's.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2020 2:01 PM

Selling your own house? Isn’t that a bit tacky? I can’t imagine buyers would feel comfortable being shown the family home by the owners.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2020 2:30 PM

It’s not really a house. It’s a hotel. Who would buy it? And what would you go with it?

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2020 3:05 PM

Looks like Hilton and Hyland photoshopped away the cracks in the front courtyard, this picture is from Zillow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote] Selling your own house? Isn’t that a bit tacky?

Who cares saving your self the commission on $75 million is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2020 3:10 PM

The pictures don't do that house justice, that place is enormous. Look at the satellite view from Google.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2020 3:17 PM

I saw this place in several Hart to Hart episodes too. Originally the Paley residence. I’d keep it Paley.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2020 3:24 PM

R5 buyers in that bracket do care.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2020 3:57 PM

All the brothers and sisters lived in the same house? How down-to-Earth and relatable!

I wonder how he became the titular head of the family, seemingly. He does have a lot of brothers and sisters - what the fuck do they do?

And his son Barron Hilton is a spoiled brat - there are a lot of stories of him being just a complete asshole. I remember he smoked in a plane bathroom and said that his family could buy and sell everyone on the plane.

Charming family.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2020 4:04 PM

If I pay $75 million for a home in LA, I damn well better have a view.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2020 4:13 PM

The Eva Gabor estate, also a Williams project, is nearby. It sold not long ago for 11M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2020 4:49 PM

It's

THE COLBYS

not

The Colby's

you FAT WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote] I wonder how he became the titular head of the family,

Wouldn’t that be the wife?

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2020 5:06 PM

I hate it. Williams's work rarely works for me, and least of all here with its tentative, pencil thin columns and its tentative, squat, shallow pediments looking as they they were drawn on in pencil, then ribbed away with a rubber eraser awaiting a correction and redraw that never happened. One room stretched out horizontally, another vertically, it's design by Silly-Putty.

Williams' better, more successful design were his unassuming, smaller houses that feel more unified and have some cleverness and spatial sequences that work.

This place looks like a house made of playing cards and glued together toothpicks, with no confidence in the detailing.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2020 5:08 PM

I like how the "cozy" rooms always seem like waiting rooms.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2020 5:14 PM

R14 thank you for articulating what I feel too. The proportions are just off and jarring. It does look flimsy for $75m.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2020 5:16 PM

"R15, we have everything ready; would you and your party like to come through now and view the deceased?"

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2020 5:20 PM

I like it. The 1930s were a curious time for American luxury houses - one didn't wish to seem too ostentatious - and the "matchstick" detailing others have pointed out was an attempt, in some ways, to provide historic detail without looking overwhelmingly opulent or crassly literal-minded. The Art Deco swimming pool is magnificent. It's also where the Cars filed the music video for "Magic".

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2020 6:19 PM

True, R18, and the related factor is that it was the decade in which film had an influence on design. Earlier films emulated real architecture, the 1939s inspired some architecture, or at least the adaptation of some theatrical/film conceits. Not only is the detailing light and - to my eye - flimsy in this quite expensive house, but the very walls, as I mentioned earlier, have the lightness of playing cards: rooms as stage sets rather than architecture.

I get it, I just don't like the insubstantiality of it. I prefer the solid, grounded, thick-walled rich houses of the 1930s - they, too, had some aspects of modesty and lightness (though in color, not construction), doing away with dark mahogany panelled rooms in favor of walls plastered or covered in raised panels and painted (Colonial style paneling) and a simple chunkiness. There was a sparer, simpler, less ostentatious aesthetic on both coasts, but it was unsurprisingly LA that favored these stage set country club style houses far more.

The pool is a gorgeous thing. I don't like pools but never understand why very expensive houses have very run-of-the-mill pools. This is a very nice exception.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2020 7:13 PM

It’s a strange market indeed where “statement” pricing apparently creates its own demand.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2020 7:16 PM

White is right.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2020 7:38 PM

The pool is gorgeous, but it’s so far from the house. Geez you need a jitney to get there.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2020 8:26 PM

The interior looks very staged. Wish we’d seen how someone with pre 2020 realtor taste has lived in the house. It was probably much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2020 8:38 PM

Who lived here in the 80s and was willing to whore their house out for every Aaron Spelling show and Lincoln ads?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2020 8:55 PM

Corinthian leather!

Faaaaaancy.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2020 9:09 PM

Classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2020 9:59 PM

Did I miss pictures of the kitchen? If there are no kitchen shots, what's wrong with it?

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2020 10:05 PM

The kitchen is clearly a mess - they spent money painting and renting the ghastly staging furniture but didn’t want to spring for a new kitchen

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2020 11:57 PM

They should redo the facade and designate the rear as a protected landmark.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2020 11:25 PM

R1, an aerial view of the estate was featured in The Colbys opening.

I assisted in decorating the interior twice in the late 1990s for the Christmas holidays. The house is HUGE. And haunted.

Mrs. Hilton was a doll. Mr. Hilton never spoke to us. Rick, Kathy and the kids including Paris arrived while we were there.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2020 12:10 AM

The coolest thing about this place has got to be the rear sliding doors. They are pocket sliding doors, from the 1930s. Like the new, ultra modern houses they're building, the rear walls of glass completely disappear. They showed it on Hart to Hart. Everything was white, with pops of yellow everywhere. Jonathan and Jennifer visited at least 3 different times, with three different owners/residents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2020 12:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2020 12:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2020 12:38 AM

Those doors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2020 12:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2020 12:48 AM

In the 1930s, Jacob "Jay" Paley was often described by his Hollywood friends as a dilettante. Retiring at the age of 42, he sold his interest in the Congress Cigar Co. (La Palina) and traveled the world. After seven years of continuous travel, he settled in Bel Air's Holmby Hills in a Paul R. Williams-designed mansion with interiors by Harriet Shellenberger. Shellenberger, a much in-demand decorator of the time, also worked with Williams on the redesign of the Beverly Hills Hotel and the Arrowhead Springs Hotel resort.

During the Great Depression, architects and builders across the United States found little work. Paul R. Williams appeared to be immune to the financial down-turn affecting his profession. In 1934 when Williams received the commission to design Jay Paley's Bel Air residence, he had already completed 36 other large Hollywood homes. (Watters. Houses of Los Angeles: 1920-1935, 2007) This was the Golden Age of American film. To the public, the movie industry's stars, producers, and directors appeared depression-proof. Williams was establishing his reputation as the architect who instinctively knew what his Hollywood power elite clients wanted.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2020 1:10 AM

At first glance Williams' design for the Paley estate appears traditional but his treatment was decidely modern. Working closely with interior decorator Shellenberger, the completed home with its gardens successfully combine traditional Georgian elements with "moderne" furniture and attitude. The H-shaped, 20-room Paley residence of stucco and hand made brick facade, described at the time as Georgian Colonial–style, was built with the owner's life-style requirements as well as the California emphasis on outdoor living. The elaborate landscaping with its extraordinary pool by Edward Huntsman-Trout working in close collaboration with Williams, combines "Baroque elements, exotic references to natural phenomena, and some Art Deco sculpture." (Streatfield. California Gardens: Creating a New Eden. 1994)

A brief article in Southwest Builder and Contractor (September 27, 1935) described Williams' vision for the two-story residence: carrara marble and glass in the kitchen, bathrooms and showers, rubber tile work, and a mix of oak and linoleum floors. Hardwoods and pine trim were to be installed throughout along with closets lined with cedar. A state-of-the-art gas-fired heating/hot water system and air conditioning were also to be installed. The builders, O'Neal & Sons estimated the cost to be $100,000 a huge sum for the time. More details would be listed, along with photographs (Image 9), in scores of national interior design magazines including Architectural Digest (1937).

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2020 1:10 AM

The home's curving driveway led to a forecourt with a large paved axis, a popular cartographic motif found in many Los Angeles estates built in the 1930s and 1940s. The inlaid axis of red-colored aggregate gathered in Maryland was installed by local craftsmen. Williams continued the idea of radiating axis lines through the house and to the pool ending at the pool pavilion (images 8-10). The bottom of the swimming pool is covered in thousands of multi-colored tiles imported from France that form a mosaic sunburst with the twelve signs of the zodiac. This pool built by the Paddock Engineering Company is considered one of the most beautiful in California. Two "sandy-beach" pool-side areas were used for sunbathing providing the Paley's and guests an eccentric outdoor living space. A separate pavilion created to service the out-door area included a bar, grille and small card room. (Pacific Saturday Night. November 20, 1937)

Settled in his new home (1936), Paley learned the rumba, played high stakes poker with studio elite and produced two movies. Architectural historians consider the Jay Paley mansion one of Williams' finest and most successful residential designs. Jay (1885-1960) and his wife Lilian (1893-1954) would live in the home until their deaths. In 1961 most of the Shellenberger interior was removed and sold at auction. The estate was sold for $475,000 and the surrounding acres developed.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2020 1:11 AM

Unfortunately a subsequent Paley/Williams collaborative project was not as successful. Paley was a major stockholder in the extensive Paul R. Williams' renovation of the Arrowhead Springs Hotel. Aesthetically the hotel was a triumph for Williams and his design team, but as an investment for Paley it was a disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2020 1:12 AM

Not sure anyone said this yet, but $75 million for this iconic house vs $85 for the Seacrest/Ellen Gay House of Horrors. No contest.

PS--Lots of good scenes from the pool shot at this house for 'The Colbys'...and Maxwell Caulfield was always in a black Speedo.

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2020 2:39 AM

So stupid question, but why would they constantly let the house out as a film location? Did they need the money? Who would want the disruption?

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2020 2:42 AM

R41, no doubt they had multiole homes and travelled a great deal. Why not rent it out if you're in Aspen or the south of France on an extended holiday?

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2020 2:44 AM

*multiple

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2020 2:44 AM

I want to hear more about the ghosts haunting the house.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2020 2:51 AM

Did Williams pioneer Hollywood Regency? He's funny, the black architect to café society doing these plantation houses streamlined and glammed up, and looking like they have anorexia. I like them because they are very chic but its somehow not satisfactory as a home. The style would better suit a chic supper club, or country club, or yes, hotel. Too art directed. Dorothy Draper worked a fat rococo into her design of that era. I realise, not an architect. I just like a mansion based on classical design to have some mass. Otherwise there were minimal modernist designs that lend themselves to fineness in structure. Bauhaus could have been adapted to LA, as it was in Tel Aviv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2020 3:15 AM

Looking at the aerial photo, I would be driven crazy by all the surrounding houses backing right up to the property. There’s no way the new owners of this place won’t hear nonstop noise, conversations, music and parties. For $75M, I’d like to be much more separated from any neighbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Looking at the aerial photo, I would be driven crazy by all the surrounding houses backing right up to the property. There’s no way the new owners of this place won’t hear nonstop noise, conversations, music and parties. For $75M, I’d like to be much more separated from any neighbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2020 3:24 AM

For those who may not know the amazing history of architect Paul Revere Williams, he was a black man in a virtually all-white field. Yet he emerged as one of the the leading residential and commercial architects of Southern California from the 1930’s through the 1960’s. He designed countless celebrity homes (Sinatra, et.al.) as well as the iconic LAX Airport “Theme Building”.

Sadly, he designed homes for many neighborhoods that would not allow a black person to live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2020 3:39 AM

For those who may not know the amazing history of architect Paul Revere Williams, he was a black man in a virtually all-white field. Yet he emerged as one of the the leading residential and commercial architects of Southern California from the 1930’s through the 1960’s. He designed countless celebrity homes (Sinatra, et.al.) as well as the iconic LAX Airport “Theme Building”.

Sadly, he designed homes for many neighborhoods that would not allow a black person to live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote] Looking at the aerial photo, I would be driven crazy by all the surrounding houses backing right up to the property. There’s no way the new owners of this place won’t hear nonstop noise, conversations, music and parties. For $75M, I’d like to be much more separated from any neighbors.

Looks like maybe 2 neighbors pools that kind of back up to the 2.5 acre property, but even with those 2 there seems to be quite a bit of space, walls and shrubs. unless you are on the edges of the property, I can't imagine that you would hear conversations. The pool backs up to the tennis court.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2020 3:59 AM

It's LA, somebody will buy it, tear it down, and build something new.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2020 4:15 AM

[quote] It's LA, somebody will buy it, tear it down, and build something new.

Its a historic home.

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote]no doubt they had multiole homes and travelled a great deal.

By 1997, Mrs. Hilton was bedridden with MS. We did a separate tree and decorations for her suite. However, she would be brought downstairs to approve our work before we left. She had champagne brought out for us. Tipped quite well.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2020 4:43 AM

It’s not worth $75 million.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2020 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!