Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wigs, rugs, toupees, etc, in the movies or TV

Good ones, bad ones, weird ones.

Watching Mannix reruns, Mike Connors seems to be wearing a full wig. Sideburns and all. For ex.

Feel free to discuss real life fake hair disaters, as well. The supermarket seems like a great place to see hair hats.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2020 1:59 AM

*disasters

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2020 2:12 PM

It's pretty obvious Mike Conners is wearing a wig. And a lot of the supporting characters and guest stars appeared to be doing the same. Late 60s through late 80s had a lot of guys wearing toupees on TV. Hershel Bernardi seemed to be the only guy that didn't wear one, and he still looked ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2020 3:12 PM

Perry Mason is a treasure trove of bad wigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2020 3:20 PM

There are a lot more out there than you think. Often transplants don’t take, or there’s only enough to do the front hairline and everything else is a wig.

There are silicone models with hair injectioned strand by strand so it looks like it’s growing right out of your head.

If you go to Hair Club or any top supplier, they sort of insist you buy two so they can service one while you’re wearing the other, adding hair to it, color, etc. it could take hours to do if you only buy just one.

All wigs are chemically treated and honestly only last about eight months and need to be replaced or they become detectable.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2020 3:37 PM

Mike Connors was older than the character of Mannix was supposed to be, wasn't he? I have seen MC in some pretty old movies.

R4 I do think many guys who use Hair Club etc think they're getting away with it, but I at least can usually tell. You can't really glue on dead hair and make it look real. Usually one giveaway (but not the only one) is the guy has too much hair. There was only one guy I knew, that I couldn't really tell, I think it was because he was really young.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2020 3:42 PM

Mike Conners was "Junior', Irene's convenient date, in SUDDEN FEAR!

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2020 4:06 PM

Often it is the movie producers/directors/screen writers/makeup artists that insist an actor/actress looks a certain way per the hair. It could relate to age, color, the time period of the movie/series, etc. It may not always be the actors personal choice. Same concerns with weight, height (platform shoes), etc.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2020 4:23 PM

R6 Great movie. I think that was what I was thinking of, too, when I said I saw him in something old.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2020 4:30 PM

It's so obvious now but growing up in the 80's and watching reruns and older movies, I thought it was normal for older Caucasian men to have 2 inch high hair. I was an immigrant kid and didn't know any better. Now I see shows from the 70's and earlier and it's hilarious to see full on shag carpet on the older actors.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2020 4:48 PM

My “friend” went to the hair club for Men and ended up with a root beer colored toilet seat cover bolted to his head. I ROARED with laffter but also helped him get his money back by raising a stink in the waiting room They NEVER give money back, but they did that day. $2900 in 1991

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2020 4:57 PM

Telly Savales’ bald cap was on point, though.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Can't you guys think of any really bad ones on specific actors or actresses, though?

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2020 6:48 PM

3 legends, 3 rugs

A lot of older Hollywood stars in the late 60's and 70's were wearing some very robust toupees. I guess it was an era of longer hair and sideburns and the balding guys felt they had to go big with their rugs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2020 10:02 PM

Howard Cosell's toupee was pretty obvious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2020 10:05 PM

Seriously obvious. And yet for that era, plenty of guys were wearing them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2020 10:08 PM

Pat Sajak's hairpiece looks ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Harry Connick, Jr. is using something - Hair Club or something. I've noticed this fake hair on him for years.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2020 9:33 PM

Best toupee I’ve seen was Sinatra’s very short and natural-looking piece he wore in the late Sixties.

Absolute worst I’ve seen is Brian Keith’s in the original 1961 PARENT TRAP. He had two totally different hair colors on his head!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2020 10:01 PM

Best toupee I’ve seen was Sinatra’s very short and natural-looking piece he wore in the late Sixties.

Absolute worst I’ve seen is Brian Keith’s in the original 1961 PARENT TRAP. He had two totally different hair colors on his head!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2020 10:01 PM

We've moved on from prosthetic hair to prosthetic dicks.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2020 10:12 PM

Pernell Roberts and Lorne Greene on Bonanza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2020 10:37 PM

Oh I guess Dan Blocker wore one, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2020 10:44 PM

Raymond Bailey, TV's Milburn Drysdale, without his toupee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2020 11:06 PM

Lee J Cobb's toupees always looked fake. Jimmy Stewart's and John Wayne's were fine until the 70s, ditto Fred Astaire. Hairpieces seem to look better when they go back, on the forehead. When the style changed, to hair worn over the forehead (and age had to do with it, as well) none of them seemed to look as natural. Charlton Heston's was one of the worst, too, especially as he got old. Why bother? Ray Milland went with the bald look, he seemed to get work.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2020 1:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!