Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is DL's opinion of Once Upon A Time In America?

I know the shortened version released in the US was universally panned. I'm thinking of watching the long version (I enjoy some of Leone's other films).

Is it worth nearly four hours of my life, DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2020 11:17 PM

I watched it once and can't remember a damned thing about it! Once Upon a Time in the West is good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2020 9:32 PM

It's a very complicated film. It's beautiful to look at, and the 4-hour cut is probably the most coherent. But the overall subject matter is very unpleasant and ugly. Murder, gore (multiple) rape, pedophilia, child-murder, and not a single character to root for. It doesn't hold up to repeated viewings -- I have to really be in the mood to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2020 10:07 PM

How did I forget all of those crimes?

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2020 10:10 PM

The 4 hour cut is a well made, engaging film, but...

(spoilers)

The two main female characters are violently raped by the main character, and the rapes don't seem to serve the story at all.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2020 10:12 PM

The 4-hour cut is one of my favorite films. Engaging, moving, brimming with nostalgia... love it! The soundtrack is gorgeous.

Everyone is in top form and Tuesday Weld should’ve been nominated in Supporting and won, goddammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2020 10:18 PM

Actually the four-hour cut is also worthy of a Best Picture Oscar nod and quite possibly win.

Now I’m considering pulling out my Blu-ray copy for a rewatch.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2020 10:28 PM

One man's crimes is another man's OPPORTUNITY!

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2020 10:34 PM

It's one of the greatest gangster movies ever made, and, accordingly, pretty grim. Lots of plot; it covers decades. The rape scenes are particularly disturbing. Casting Elizabeth McGovern as an evil bitch was inspired.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2020 10:56 PM

12-year-old Jennifer Connelly's film debut; one of the rare "innocent" moments in the film (until Leone ruins it by having her character strip naked -- body double, of course)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2020 11:11 PM

It’s worth it

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2020 11:50 PM

I loved it. I found it really engrossing and I didn't notice the time as much as I did with The Godfather movies.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2020 12:30 AM

Absolutely the best sound track I've ever purchased.

Two things I remember from the film: a long scene in an opium den where a phone is ringing...and ringing...and ringing. I remember yelling at the screen "somebody answer that damn phone!" and 2) young Brian Bloom as one of the principals as a boy, with those beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2020 2:27 AM

I actually find the ending scene incredibly sad.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2020 3:07 AM

It definitely pulls on the heartstrings but not in an overwrought manner.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2020 3:36 AM

Thanks r14. You've sold me.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2020 10:22 AM

I think the film is ok but the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is sublime.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2020 8:05 AM

I love Morricone's scores r16.

Jill's Theme is another favorite

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2020 8:09 AM

"Hey, you watch it, now. And my prices, they've gone up. I work in a high-class joint now, and I get paid - by the pound!"

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2020 1:02 PM

I absolutely love this movie. It made me want to move to New York so badly, which I finally did in the late 90ies. Yes, it is complicated but the long version is absolutely worth watching. The cut version is crap. It's too bad that Leone never got around to assemble a Director's cut with all the original scenes included in the right order.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2020 1:24 PM

r19 I don't think outside the US and a few other places there was ever the cut version being shown. In Europe, I think they always showed the original cut. Also good that it is part of a trilogy; for his regards little regarded Once Upon a Time... The Revolution. Once Upon A Time In… Hollywood is a homage and sort of also an epilogue, e.g. the movie poster also references it. I guess the Blu-ray and the DVD in commentary and extras and booklet will also pay homage to Leone's work. The oeuvre tells the story of the American century and the American Empire through the lens of a foreigner and an Italo-American, in Tarantino. Once Upon a Time in the West has been said to be Tarantino's favorite movie.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2020 3:31 PM

It’s a great feeling to stumble upon the street in Brooklyn where the movie was shot....guess where.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2020 10:26 AM

I loved it. Watched it several times. The long version is best.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2020 11:22 AM

Yes it's a great movie, but go in with the right expectations. This is not a kind of sober, realist, arthouse epic. It's very lurid, very violent, has some atrocious acting and dubbing, very kitsch-y at times, cartoonish. You have to embrace that and fall under its spell. The long version is the one to watch, but NOT the extra-long version in which they added extra scenes that Leone never intended.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2020 11:52 AM

Yes kitschy, sentimental, violent, cartoonish, like almost all Leone movies. The rape scene is hard to watch. The reaction of the driver when he is offered money is a great moment in the movie. But it really gets to the heart of what America is all about. And while some find the final scene unsatisfying I think it's a great conclusion (or non-conclusion).

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2020 1:14 PM

DL Fave Brian Bloom ("Young Patsy") is a most delectable piece of chicken (he was 13 at the time).

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2020 1:40 PM

R24, I found that ending devastating. It really is a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2020 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!