Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Falcon Crest Star Abby Dalton Dead at 88 RIP

No longer shopping the Pig. Nice long career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2020 9:15 AM

OP, you should have referenced The Joey Bishop Show. Remember, the average age of Datalounge is 77.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2020 11:31 PM

She was one of the original stars on Hollywood Squares (with Morey Amsterdam, Rose Marie and Wally Cox.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2020 11:36 PM

"No Longer Shopping the Pig!" That's a blast from the past, OP. Isn't that from alt.showbiz.gossip? Or maybe alt.gossip.celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2020 11:40 PM

She was very pretty. I wanted to be her.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2020 11:49 PM

Best primetime season closing cliffhanger ever, Julia is revealed to be Carlo Agretti's killer. She pulls out a gun which goes off, and in the season opener, Lana Turner is revealed to have been hit by her bullet. Julia's in prison, escapes to try to kill her mother and ends up kidnapped by Nazis in hiding. She then goes blind after an earthquake and goes back to the convent where her mother arranged for her to serve out her prison sentence.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2020 11:55 PM

You can't help but love someone who's the star of a film called "The Saga of the Viking Women and Their Voyage to the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent".

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2020 11:59 PM

R3, that’s from alt.showbiz.gossip. God how I miss that site! I assume sh’s in the stereo cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2020 12:04 AM

Abby's "Falcon Crest* husband, Tony, was the gorgeous John Saxon. In the second to last episode of the second season, she goes to find him and encounters his pregnant girlfriend. The actress who played this one scene part? Brendad Ickson!!!

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2020 12:07 AM

She was also once Lorenzo Llamas's mother in law.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]OP, you should have referenced The Joey Bishop Show. Remember, the average age of Datalounge is 77.

Just to be safe, it might have been better to mention "Hennessey," the series in which she co-starred with Jackie Cooper and which she did prior to "The Joey Bishop Show."

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2020 4:30 AM

She was awesome in "Falcon Crest." She had nothing to do the first two seasons, but then when her character was revealed to be secretly murderously crazy she was hilariously good.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2020 4:46 AM

[quote] No longer shopping the Pig.

Could someone be so kind to enlighten me what it means?

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2020 11:27 AM

A piece of work, by all accounts.

She was written off FC, but when new producers came along they couldn't understand why the previous ones got rid of the character.

After a short while working with her they found out why.

That cycle repeated itself twice actually, if memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2020 11:31 AM

She had the buck teeth.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2020 12:10 PM

I watched an episode of MSW she was on just last week.

She kinda looked a little like Miss Dunaway -- after she was a bitch to her surgeon and dentist. I swear I see a mild resemblance to Betsy Palmer too.

Datalounge once suspected her of being part black....

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2020 12:14 PM

Does anyone have her dentist's number?

That's the look I'm after.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2020 12:15 PM

[quote]She was also once Lorenzo Llamas's mother in law.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2020 1:41 PM

Her daughter is actress Kathleen Kinmont.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2020 1:41 PM

The last time I said someone was NLSTP absolutely no one knew that that meant. Bless you, OP.

She always seemed like fun on Match Game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2020 1:44 PM

Who’s gonna inherit her choppers?

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2020 2:22 PM

It is sort of ironic that as she ages, Faye Dunaway begins to look very similar to Abby.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2020 2:27 PM

Always thought Joey was kinda fuckable , in a Gary Morton kind of way .

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2020 2:46 PM

Abby Dalton in later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2020 2:57 PM

With guest star Charles Bronson on Hennessey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2020 3:00 PM

Eldergay here who remembers her on Joey Bishop. I remember just thinking she seemed like a nice lady and as the years rolled by and I saw her on other things, my original thought was confirmed. She's someone I thought had probably died years ago. Long life. And she was married to THE SAME MAN for 60 years!!!!! Unbelievable for Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2020 3:03 PM

I got her and Ruta Lee (still alive at age 85) confused - they seemed to be so much the same, especially coming from the same era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2020 3:05 PM

R23- She looked good, actually!

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2020 3:17 PM

Even though Margaret Ladd (Emma Channing) is a decade younger than Abby, they really did seem like sisters. I'd always love when Emma would show up from one of her escapades and greet Angela with "How's tricks?" When Julia went to prison, Emma was the only one she really confided in when Emma visited. Julia loved her son, and he was loyal to her, but their communications were for the most part pretty strained because Angela took charge of him.

Scan down for the only picture I could find of them together with no one else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2020 3:22 PM

R12, "No longer shopping at [the] Pig" came from "no longer shopping at the Piggly Wiggly," and meant that a person (usually a celebrity) had died. It was shorthand on alt.showbiz.gossip, a Usenet group that was popular in the days of billboards, chat groups, etc.

There were a number of such phrases -- circling the drain is common enough, but as I mentioned up-thread, being "in the stereo cabinet" was another way of mentioning a death, as someone once wrote that they kept the cremated returns of a loved one (possibly a cat) in the stereo cabinet. Lesbians were always L______ because someone wrote that she couldn't be homophobic because she herself was a L_____. It is sort of how DL uses WHET, Lens, Jackie On Assistance, etc. It was dead fun being on those boards and they could be mean, but mostly sarcastic. I always craved a berth in the trailer park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2020 7:12 PM

I always thought she resembled Juliet Prowse.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2020 10:08 PM

R1 The Joey Bishop Show has been getting airplay on Retro and Antenna TV for the last few years, so dataloungers in their 40s-60s might also recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2020 10:35 PM

R28 Here's another photo of Julia & Lance CUMson together with no one else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2020 10:42 PM

I predict Richard Shelby will be next.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2020 12:41 AM

R33 Is it possible you mean David Selby???

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2020 1:14 AM

Lance CUMson is even funnier than Julia. Abby sounds like she was a bitch on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2020 1:23 AM

Yes. David Selby. I'm a diehard FC fan but it's been a rough day.

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2020 1:32 AM

Abby Dalton (born Gladys Marlene Wasden; August 15, 1932 – November 23, 2020)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2020 1:44 AM

Abby was a cool chick. I remember her from the early days of Hollywood Squares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2020 1:48 AM

From actress Susan Sullivan, Aby's co-star on Falcon Crest on Twitter:

"The lovely Abby Dalton has left the stage. She was a mother a wife an accomplished actress and beautiful friend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2020 1:52 AM

Has Susan Dey sent her condolences yet?

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2020 1:55 AM

Oh damn, I just looked her up the other day and saw that she was still alive and I was thinking about writing her a fan letter or sending her a text or some thing, I’ve been watching her on the Joey Bishop show every morning on Antenna TV, they are in the fourth season now and she has been on since season two, so I get to see her 10 times a week, damn damn damn.

She really had a lot of charm and personality

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2020 2:10 AM

Is Chao-Li still with us?

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2020 8:13 AM

[quote]"in the stereo cabinet" was another way of mentioning a death, as someone once wrote that they kept the cremated returns of a loved one (possibly a cat) in the stereo cabinet

It was Lillibunny who said she kept her freeze dried cat displayed prominently in the stereo cabinet.

Here's a link to the old FAQ, lots of memories for those of us who were there. I somehow had forgotten that everyone on ASG was just as fucked up as everyone is on DL today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2020 8:45 AM

I remember when we called her Dorcas.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2020 9:29 AM

[quote] She had nothing to do the first two seasons, but then when her character was revealed to be secretly murderously crazy she was hilariously good.

It was a real surprise. Her character was written with no direction in the first two seasons. Then they make her the killer, and you thought that's it for her. (There were two shots, one could have been for Julia herself.) I certainly would have been happy to see Julia leave the stage at that point. And what do you know, she is going to have her best season ever. Kudos to the show runner to have the foresight and guts turning dust into gold.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote] The Joey Bishop Show has been getting airplay on Retro and Antenna TV for the last few years, so dataloungers in their 40s-60s might also recognize her.

But only the first season as DL Icon and nepotism poster child Marlo Thomas (pre-nosejob). (Not to mention should-be DL Icon Madge Blake as Marlo's and Joey's mother.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2020 7:39 PM

Never heard of her

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2020 7:48 PM

R46 Antenna is just finishing up showing all four seasons, and it starts again from season one next week

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2020 7:53 PM

r29, thank you very much for your reply kind sir.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2020 9:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!