Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tina Fey’s meanness

Reading the 30 Rock thread reminded me that Tina Fey outed herself as a real-life high school bully. In retrospect, her comedy can punch down to a surprising degree.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2020 2:34 AM

Frinstance, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2020 11:46 PM

I've never heard about Fey being a mean bully OP.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2020 11:49 PM

Ok cool story, op

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2020 11:49 PM

Oh goody! We’ve moved on from Ellen and now we’re going after Tina Fey!!

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2020 11:51 PM

There's one determined "Tina Fey is a bitch" troll in the 30 Rock thread. This must be his work.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2020 11:51 PM

WHET Dratch Avenger?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2020 11:56 PM

Bitches get things done!

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2020 11:58 PM

The other thread mentions the 30 Rock episode where she is doesn't want to go to her high school reunion because she doesn't want to see the girls who used to bully her. She goes anyway and finds out they all thought she was the bully.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2020 11:59 PM

I don't know if this is true or not but, I'd be a mean, bitter bitch too, if some sicko who was a complete stranger grabbed me as a little girl and sliced my face open. Leaving me with a scare that I've had to look at my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2020 12:06 AM

Tina Fey's cuntiness comes as a shock because our brains are trained to think the the nerdy, hipster, ironic girls are the cool girls and girls like Paris Hilton are the mean girls. Tina wasn't attractive enough to be a bitch back in the day but now that she is more experienced and rich. she can let it fly. Same with people like Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2020 12:08 AM

Is she still around?

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2020 12:08 AM

She said Paris Hilton looked like a tranny. That's "mean" I guess (but not undeserved).

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2020 12:10 AM

She does.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2020 12:11 AM

Who says Tina Fey was a bitch in her younger days? If anything, the rumor started with her episode of 30 Rock with the Whitehaven High School reunion.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2020 12:21 AM

She wrote the screenplay for the film, "Mean Girls", and while promoting the movie, she mentioned that she had been a mean girl in high school. I was a little surprised (because of the phenomenon that R10 described), but I guess it makes sense. In my experience, the most popular, pretty girls were usually quite nice because they had no reason to be insecure. It was their clingers-on who, upon receiving less attention, were insecure, and thus, mean.

It kind of puts the Tina / Amy Poehler conflict with Taylor Swift in a new light.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2020 12:23 AM

That's EXACTLY what popped into my mind too R4.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2020 12:25 AM

Her joke about a celebrity plastic surgeon on 30 rocks has driven him to suicide.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2020 12:27 AM

She was the first female head writer at SNL. I imagine you'd have to be a high-ridin' bitch to get and keep that position.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2020 12:28 AM

Tina thinks she's way more clever and funny than she is. She's the equip equivalent of dad humor to me. Her comedy is for the lesser brained.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2020 12:29 AM

I wasn't there, so I really can't judge effectively, but two friends in NYC claim to have seen her be quite rude to a young waiter. It didn't sound personal, but more of the entitled, and disinterested in being friendly. She complained a lot as well.

I still want to like her however.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2020 12:29 AM

I know people who've worked with Tina Fey. She's not a pleasant person.

But Amy Poehler is much, much worse. Nasty, angry, and dismissive. She's an awful human being.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]In retrospect, her comedy can punch down to a surprising degree.

I think people began having it out for her when they realized her comedy was punching down. There was some opinion piece about how Fey's comedy mocks single women because she happened to be a homely woman who landed a man. Not the exact words, but the sentiment is the same - she likely thought her former self was pathetic (she was a virgin in her twenties) and now that she had fame she mocked what she once was.

[quote]Who says Tina Fey was a bitch in her younger days? If anything, the rumor started with her episode of 30 Rock with the Whitehaven High School reunion.

I was [a mean girl]. I admit it openly. That was a disease that had to be conquered. It's another coping mechanism — it's a bad coping mechanism — but when you feel less than (in high school, everyone feels less than everyone else for different reasons) in your mind it's a way of leveling the playing field. Though of course it's not. Saying something terrible about someone else does not actually level the playing field. If I meet a girl of 14 or 15 today who is that kind of girl, I am secretly, in my body, afraid. Even though I'm 45.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2020 12:32 AM

Between the facial scar and the fact she used to be fat, can you blame her?

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2020 12:32 AM

Her kind of comedy is so male identified. That whole SNL era really was about trying to be as bad and outrageous as "the boys". The movies she did with Amy are really frat boy comedies with women in them. Same with Kristen Wiig and Bridesmaids. It's gross out humor but because it's women helmed they try to put some feminist spin on them.

Early 30 Rock had moments of brilliance, but her humor goes too obvious at times. A good joke is often ruined with visual explanation of it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2020 12:43 AM

I still enjoy 30 rock periodically. I doubt Fey is sunshine and roses, or Poehler for that matter. But she's in a business where a sweet vulnerable waif would be eaten alive. Sometimes people need an armor. A lot of the " nice" women in showbiz wind up completely fucked up later on.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2020 12:43 AM

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler coasted for an exorbitant amount of time on 'SNL' before being given vanity projects by Lorne. I've never understood the appeal of either...they're mildly amusing, but not nearly as funny as the ladies in the Cheri Oteri years (Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, etc.).

Tina recently did an interview with Graham Norton and the whole conversation was speaking of her daughters' themed dinners during quarantine, in which the young girls serve Tina and her husband huge glasses of wine with the themed food. Her favourite themed dinner was one in which they all pretended to be on an airplane, and none of them had to speak to one another since they were seated like they were on an airplane. At first I thought she was making it up, but then she shared a pic of one of the daughters dressed as a stewardess with a huge glass of wine. Tina genuinely seemed to enjoy sharing that none of them spoke to one another for the whole dinner...a bit weird, but also very her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2020 12:44 AM

R24 and R26 get it. And no she's not funny. At all.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2020 12:51 AM

That group of women was given an inordinate amount of praise because women had been neglected for so long on SNL, that Lorne overdid it with promoting them. The adulation does not match the output. I'm baffled by Maya Rudolph's immense popularity. Debra Wilson, Kim Wayans and T'Keyah Crystal Keman wrap rings around her. Maya is average at best, and her Kamala is one of her many basic impressions. But ten to one, she wins an Emmy for it.

R25 Jane Curtin said the one thing she deliberately did on SNL was not buy into her own hype. While everyone else was hiring agents and publicists, she made do with her longtime agent and lawyer, whom she would also visit sporadically. Meanwhile, she has a great reputation in the business, and has never wanted for work after leaving SNL. It can be done.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2020 12:52 AM

r6 - I'm here but this isn't my work... and Tina and Dratchy are reconciled and buddies agin, so.. carry on!

And let me remind you, I was the first one to tell the whole story about how she got the scar...

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2020 12:54 AM

Apart from how its already been so eloquently stated. She also did fat girl comedy like that Garrofolo oaf. Oh I'm so much uglier than regular girls so anything self deprecating I say is so bold and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2020 12:58 AM

R26 How odd. It sounds as if she enjoys being "served".

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2020 12:58 AM

Isn’t she Greek? Greek women can be brutal - they don’t consider it being mean, just rough and blunt and often critical. Some of the meanest people I’ve met.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote] Cheri Oteri years (Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, etc.).

All three of these women are (at least) 3x funnier than Tina.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2020 2:01 AM

R32 half German half Greek iirc

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2020 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!