Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rosalind Russel

WFT was that all about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2020 10:43 PM

OP, why would you, a hetero alt-right, have an obsession about Rosalind Russell? Or this website?

Weird. Go back to your evangelical hate group. You don't belong here.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2020 6:37 AM

It looked like she was wearing a full, ankle-length skirt. It wasn't an evening dress.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2020 7:12 AM

Roz Russell was a major cunt! She told me I was too “up-front”. I responded by pushing my cooter in her face. She said that it smelled like Lysol . Damn right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2020 7:53 AM

There Promoting “Wonderful Town!”

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2020 8:09 AM

You can see the quick intelligence on her face as she answers the questions.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2020 10:07 AM

Here’s a question for a Datalounge debate:

What was her best movie, “His Girl Friday,” “Auntie Mame,” or “Gypsie”?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2020 10:12 AM

"The Women" because it was unlike anything she'd done up to that point in her career and the surprise element of her performance just about walked away with the film. Second best - "The Trouble with Angels" because she did not portray a goody-goody, holier than thou nun but gave the role depth and balance.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2020 12:25 PM

[quote]Rosalind Russel

Oh, dear.

[quote]“Gypsie”?

And again.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2020 12:40 PM

Liz Taylor also played the game extremely well. And not the way anyone might have expected from Liz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2020 12:50 PM

I know she was much loved, but I found her insufferable onscreen. It was all "schtick" and couldn't get past the grating voice, and she was also, in my view, spectacularly unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2020 1:00 PM

Where can I purchase some POOF?

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2020 1:56 PM

Her best film IMO is His Girl Friday, though The Women and quite a few others are terrific as well.

She was a delightful presence in comedy, and could be terrific in drama (The Velvet Touch is a fun, noir'ish murder mystery with lots of style).

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Before she became known as a comedienne, she starred in several excellent dramas in the 1930s, including Night Must Fall and Craig's Wife, which was later remade by Crawford as Harriet Craig.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2020 10:10 PM

That thing with Robert Donat was fizzer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2020 10:13 PM

I loved her, but found her least interesting in her most “dramatic” roles—“Mourning Becomes Electra, for which everyone (including Russell) expected her to win an Oscar (bizarrely, it went to Loretta Young for doing her version of the Muppets’ Swedish Chef avant la lettre) is practically unwatchable (not her fault, really, it’s poorly directed, not O’Neill’s best dialogue, and other fine actors are equally turgid—when Michael Redgrave, Raymond Massey, And Katina Paxinou are full, you know something is wrong). “Sister Kenny” is a bit more interesting, but still “noble.” She could be good in serious moments within comedies, as in her dressing down of adult Patrick” in “Auntie Mame,” The non-singing scenes in “Gypsy,” and her sorrow over the coffin of her fellow nun in “Angels.” But she was never boring.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2020 10:29 PM

The playwright should take the blame for making "Mourning Becomes Electra" so very indigestibly turgid.

A sensible producer would cast these fine actors in a film cut to half its length.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2020 10:32 PM

I enjoyed the clip. Thanks. I love the affected accents of Of old people Hollywood folk.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2020 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!