Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Air fryers: All the rage, do you have a review?

I see these air fryers all over the place. It's a air fryer, mini oven thing. Do you have one? What say you? Is this a good christmas gift? Or a stupid fad?

by Anonymousreply 83December 14, 2020 8:25 AM

It's on QVC right now? Also, at macy's, BBB and others places.

Is this a great counter top oven appliance? Or is it a stupid Christmas fad, like the trash compacter?

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2020 4:32 AM

A fad, but they actually work really well. Makes perfect chicken etc. and removes lots of grease.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2020 4:42 AM

which one do you have?

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2020 4:43 AM

Do they make a good marie calendars' pot pie?

Mother wants to know

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2020 4:44 AM

My son bought one because he gets oil all over the kitchen when he fries & my husband told him he doesn’t need to clean up after himself —“it doesn’t matter.”

It stayed in my small kitchen for a month, overpowering the countertop. Now it’s gone. I don’t know where it went but I think the banishment is permanent. So I guess he didn’t find it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2020 4:45 AM

Do french fries taste better? Do you use frozen? Or can you just chop up a potato?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2020 4:46 AM

R3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2020 4:47 AM

do you think the OVC is worth it? I am thinking about give this as a xmas gift.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2020 4:48 AM

My sister has one. They actually work incredibly well.

Like anything, they're a fad for a certain percentage of buyers who will excitedly use them for a while and then stop. But, I know more than a few dedicated users.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2020 4:51 AM

Why don’t the appliance manufacturers just make ovens that have an air fry option?

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2020 4:52 AM

I think these appliances are made for the Asian market, first. People who do not have ovens.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2020 4:56 AM

I think these appliances are made for the Asian market, first. People who do not have ovens.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2020 4:56 AM

Aren't they just small counter-top convection ovens? I already have an oven that has a convection setting. By all means, correct me if I have misunderstood what these gizmos are.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2020 5:00 AM

They're just convection ovens.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2020 5:13 AM

I quite like mine . They do well on sausage , chicken legs and thighs and with fries. Haven’t tried corn yet but did do well with other veggies like onion and mushrooms

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2020 5:15 AM

I bought mine a few months ago, and I find I'm using it every day. It's great, especially if you're not big on cooking, or just cook for yourself. Makes great steaks.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2020 5:20 AM

Makes frozen fries taste like homemade. Everything tastes better with an air fryer.

Cleanup is simple and quick. Good investment.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2020 5:23 AM

Is there a compact one that doesn’t take up the whole countertop?

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote]Why don’t the appliance manufacturers just make ovens that have an air fry option?

They do, but that level of appliance isn't installed in tract and mobile homes . Countertop "air fryers" are marketed to the people don't buy full featured appliances.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote] They're just convection ovens.

What’s a convection oven?

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2020 7:15 AM

[quote] They're just convection ovens.

What’s a convection oven?

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2020 7:15 AM

I just got a Cosori 5.8 quart. Love it. Makes great fries with just two tablespoons oil. Super easy clean up. I did my Thanksgiving 3 lb. turkey breast in and it turned out perfect with a crispy browned skin.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2020 8:16 AM

I've only used mine for rotisserie chicken but I absolutely love it for that. Bought a bag of frozen fries last week to try in it to see if it really does make them taste like homemade.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2020 10:03 AM

I have one and I absolutely love it. I have even been using the chicken fat that pools at the bottom to shave and I have never looked or felt better!

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2020 10:09 AM

As previously noted air fryers are just a new take on convection ovens which have been around in various forms for decades. You can often find various vintage counter top convection ovens such as those made by Farberware, Cuisinart, Maxim, etc.. on eBay, at flea markets, garage sales, CL.... or just ask one of your female older family members .

Oven fryers use same principle as convection ovens, heated air is fan circulated for faster and more even heating and browning which results in shorter cooking times. By using higher temps (about or over 400F) and with a light coating of some sort of oil it is possible to "air fry" in any convection oven.

Be forewarned that not all foods can or should be cooked via convection methods, and or if certain foods are left too long will result in a tough dried out brick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2020 10:15 AM

So shouldn’t it be called air baked instead of air fried?

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2020 10:24 AM

You could say that R26, but then again it's crispy like fried!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2020 10:31 AM

You could say that R26, but then again it's crispy like fried!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2020 10:31 AM

how do you make french fries in a convection oven?

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2020 11:03 AM

R29

See link.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2020 11:11 AM

If the Golden Girls had had one of these, then they wouldn’t have had to give it up when Blanche got a pacemaker.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2020 11:39 AM

They're terrible. I left my on the corner next to the dumpster, and it stayed there 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2020 11:43 AM

you are better off buying a toaster oven / air fryer. the air fryer will get old, but you can use the toaster oven function endlessly.

and at least you don't have another corpse for your appliance graveyard.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2020 11:43 AM

People think they make food taste like you fry it, but it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2020 11:48 AM

I thought it said “Air Flyers-All the Rage” and was looking for some good videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2020 11:50 AM

Quite honestly when have taste for fried foods (which doesn't happen often due to health concerns), just go ahead and either get out cast iron chicken "deep frying" skillet, or use a vintage deep fryer.

There is nothing like fries, chicken, fish or a few other foods when properly deep fried. If done right things are crispy and not at all greasy or oily.

Certain foods like chicken can be done in any oven with a breaded coating that will give sort of a fried results, but ain't nothing like the real thing baby.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2020 12:05 PM

E36

Someone who actually gets it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2020 1:34 PM

It's the new George Forman grill! You'll see them at all garage sales in a few years, we have one and I have given the order that is it to go forthwith.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2020 4:04 PM

I got the Ninja Foodi XL Grill which also works as an air fryer. Honestly, it’s my second favorite kitchen gadget ever (after my fancy Breville espresso machine). The grill is terrific and idiot-proof, which god knows I need. The air fryer is amazing for things like brussel sprouts. A couple of drops of oil and some sea salt and they come out tasting like potato chips.

Kind of a bitch to clean, though.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2020 4:11 PM

Had one for a couple of months,hated it . Gave it to my niece,who also hated it . She gave it to her mother,who loves it but then again shes always been known as a lousy cook so take it as you will. They also dont mention they are electricity sucks . Might as well fire up the big oven.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2020 4:17 PM

R24 Do you have cats or dogs?

Are they suddenly bestowing you with overly-lavish amounts of affection?

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2020 9:29 PM

You often see these "gadgets" at garage sales because many people start out with smaller models, and find they like them so well they end up investing in a larger version.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2020 9:33 PM

I have a regular oven installed under the counter that has a convection setting. Basically a convection oven has a fan that blows the hot air over and around the food if you're using the convection setting. This has been a standard thing for a long time at least with European brands (Bosch, Miele, etc.). A convection oven doesn't have to be some extra appliance sitting on the countertop. And an "air fryer" seems like a specialized convection oven.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2020 9:58 PM

Having an air fryer sounds like the equivalent of having some specialized pancake griddle that plugs in and sits on the counter next to the regular stove/cooktop. You can just put a pan on the cooktop and accomplish the same thing without wasting money on a separate appliance or taking up counter space.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2020 10:00 PM

I've been using an Airfryer for over five years. Great for frozen foods, ie fries, tater tots, chicken strips/nuggets, fish sticks and the like. Very good for quick reheating of leftover meats like fried chicken, and spare ribs. Think of it as a dry heat microwave though it's not that quick. A frIED chicken breast reheated in the air fryer is way better than the songbirds of the microwave. Go get one!

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2020 10:29 PM

It is the equivalent of a convection oven. They're popular because they're much cheaper than getting your oven replaced with an oven that has a convection setting if you don't already have one.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2020 10:41 PM

I got one a few years ago and it made everything taste like plastic.

by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2020 2:30 AM

I'm grateful that have a convection setting in my oven. If anyone is in the market for a new oven, get one with convection. That way you don't have to crap up your kitchen with more shit.

by Anonymousreply 48November 30, 2020 3:05 AM

are they difficult to clean or is there oil build up in the roof of the inside?

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2020 3:27 AM

They have been around forever. There used to be one that looked like a cake stand with a glass dome. All it is basically is a hairdryer with a basket attached to it. Which in reality is just a convection oven.

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2020 3:27 AM

What's the difference between an air fryer and a toaster/convection oven? Isn't it the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2020 5:08 AM

I have an convection function on my oven, and I never use it. Is this a french fry function?

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2020 6:14 AM

R52, pretty much. It will work much better than an air fryer because you have a lot more room to spread out your food.

Even a toaster oven with convection will give you a little more room than an "air fryer", and is multifunctional.

What percentage of those things are going to be in the landfill three years from now?

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2020 6:33 AM

Note that all ovens cook via “convection” ie heating air, unless you are broiling which could be radiative cooking. The terminology “convection” in this sense is just meant to imply the additional presence of a fan.

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2020 6:42 AM

I bought a chefman air fryer/convection oven and I love it. Use it all most every day.

Like OP, I thought the whole "air fry" thing was a dad and that I'd never use it enough to justify the cost. However, this also has a rotisserie option and it dehydrates, too. Since I do a lot of dehydrating for camping and backpacking, I took the plunge and bought one.

It's great. I've cooked fish in it which was delicious and for Thanksgiving, I bought a chicken from the local farm and put it on the rotisserie. It was fabulous!

Bacon comes out crispy although I put down aluminum foil on the bottom to catch the drippings as they can overrun the pan in the bottom.

I love mine and don't have to heat up the oven for leftover pizza or fries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2020 6:49 AM

In a "true" (or European) convection oven heating element is located behind fan, this allows the heated air to be forced out and around oven cavity then circulates back to fan/heater where is heated again etc... Many if not most electric ovens with heating elements at top and bottom of ovens also have a "third" heater behind fan to give "true" convection. When that setting is chosen all three heating elements may come on, or perhaps two or one as many ovens have setting like convection "bake", "broil", etc...

Good thing about having three heating elements is oven will pre-heat faster.

Otherwise convection merely means ovens (of all sorts) that have heating elements at top and bottom or sides, and fan located either at rear, top or side of oven cavity. Fan merely circulates air that is heated by those visible or concealed heating element.

Convection microwave ovens often have concealed heating element which generates the heat blown around by fan.

Toaster/convection ovens normally have exposed heating elements at top and bottom (one for baking other for broiling). When "convection" is chosen both elements come on and fan located somewhere inside oven circulates the heated air.

Finally some large convection ovens either built in stand alone, or part of a range will use fan or fans to circulate air regardless of whatever setting is chosen.

Like convection for some things, others not so much. As already mentioned types or cuts of meat/poultry that already tend to be dry (think turkey breast) just aren't best candidates for convection which to some extent dries things out more (all that circulating heated air).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2020 9:33 AM

You are heating a oven at the same temp, so it is the same thing. as heating an oven. Right? I have a convection oven function. I never use it. What is it for? French fries? How do I do this? How do you make these air fryer convection oven fries? Are they better than oven fries? Do tell...

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2020 2:32 AM

I am not a fan of kitchen gadgets because they take up space and I am not much of a cook.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2020 2:36 AM

Convection just involves a fan to rush the hot air around the food for faster, more even cooking.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2020 2:43 AM

Call me stupid, but wtf is the difference between an air fryer and an instant pot?

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2020 2:51 AM

I ordered one (convection toaster oven) on Monday because of this thread. I have been unhappy with my toaster oben (which I use almost daily) because it for some reason takes FOREVER to bake a single potato and the other odd occasional item. most things are fine but that annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2020 3:18 AM

I already have an Instant Pot, and I saw an ad for an air fryer lid for the IP, so I bought that. I've used it several times and liked it a lot. Still trying out recipes. I like a breakfast hash with diced sweet potato, diced onions, and diced bacon.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2020 3:41 AM

Why would you want to fry air?

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2020 3:46 AM

I’ll fry anything, R63

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2020 3:50 AM

Folks, these are just NuWave ovens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2020 3:58 AM

No it’s not. Air frying is just ONE of the functions of the NuWave oven.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2020 7:16 AM

Absolutely no need to get all fancy with it. All anyone needs is a simple basket design like this. Things like pizza, lasagna, mac n cheese etc you'll still want a traditional oven for that. Again, see my post at R45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2020 10:53 AM

Yet another in a L-O-N-G line of small electric kitchen "gadgetta." (<-- to coin a word)

Resist the temptation to get a future countertop dust collector, cabinet denizen, and ultimately thrift store donation.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2020 11:08 AM

I love mine. Frozen stuff (fishcakes, wontons, spinach pie, etc.) come out great. It's easy and I run the basket through the dishwasher. I don't want to fire up the oven in summer so it gets a lot of use.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2020 1:42 PM

Then you use it as a convection oven, not as an air fryer exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2020 2:29 PM

I have a combo toaster/air fryer from Cuisinart. I love it! I air-fry chicken wingettes pretty much every Sunday as I love buffalo wings. It's also great for reheating french fries, especially now with COVID-19. By the time your burger and fries arrive, they are soggy as hell. I have a gas stove/broiler combo so this makes it easier to cook them. I have a pretty decent-sized kitchen and lots of counter space. I don't find it obtrusive.

My sister bought an actual air fryer. We used it once. I should add that she's not much of a cook. It did do a nice job on the turkey breast we made a couple years ago for Thanksgiving.

if you're truly thinking about getting one, I'd think about a combo like I have.

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2020 2:44 PM

[queso] Then you use it as a convection oven, not as an air fryer exclusively.

What’s the difference?

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2020 4:26 PM

Nothing!

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2020 4:26 PM

Air fryers are this year's Instant Pot. Next year there will be something different.

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2020 5:58 AM

I think that air fryers first became popular about four to five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 75December 4, 2020 1:15 PM

Are these suddenly the rage? I'm seeing these talked about all over social media now.

by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2020 1:08 AM

They're basically a convection oven.

I make the best fried chicken by cooking it sous vide, then deep frying with a $20 fryer from KMart.

by Anonymousreply 77December 14, 2020 1:10 AM

I got this one because I absolutely hate using my regular oven for just me (except for homemade pizza, I love the regular oven for that with the cast iron pan). So, I think of this as the single person's oven. That can make stuff taste fried if needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 14, 2020 1:21 AM

I use mine about 4-5 times a week. It's helping me eat a lot healthier without missing takeout.

Makes great salmon filets or veggie/turkey burgers.

I allow myself to make frozen fries in it every now and again, and I feel better about it because it cuts the calories and fat by something like 80% versus frying in oil. I also make crispy cauliflower and broccoli bites, which taste just as good as fries IMO.

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2020 3:28 AM

I'll never part with my Amana Radar Range.

by Anonymousreply 80December 14, 2020 3:53 AM

It's not like using my regular oven is a chore, nor does it "heat up the whole house!" Jeez! It's an oven! Open a damned window and cook like a grown person and not a dorm dweller for Christ's sake!

by Anonymousreply 81December 14, 2020 5:36 AM

The smaller oven on the counter top will heat up the room too, same temperature. This does not make sense.

by Anonymousreply 82December 14, 2020 6:22 AM

The air fryers just take up way too much space imo. They just remind me of those Nu-Wave ovens from the 90's.

I love my mid-sized Oster toaster oven. I use mine much like a cook would use a salamander (open faced broiler) in a restaurant. They're great for melting cheese, and getting a nice char on stuff. I've broiled fresh fish, tri-tip steaks, vegetables like peppers and onions, toasting buns, and more. Anything frozen and breaded as well as frozen fries cook up great in these as well. Not to mention the toaster ovens heat up much faster than a standard oven, and they cut back on the overall cooking times.

by Anonymousreply 83December 14, 2020 8:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!