Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elton John genius or not?

This clip from Elton John @ The Actor's Studio is amazing to me. He creates an impromptu melody to a text provided by someone in the audience, "Peer Gynt", no less, and it seems totally believable as an incubated creation. Geniuses never think they do anything special, because it comes so easily to them, but while I play piano and can toss off a tune or two, I could never do this. Is this genius? DL, what do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 6, 2020 1:43 AM

Hilarious example of the same...Richard E. Grant gives Elton his new oven instructions, and Elton makes it work! I think this is actually an example of genius, while also being amusing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2020 2:39 AM

Ask Rush Limbaugh

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2020 2:39 AM

He doesn't write his own music. If he were a genius he'd at least be able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2020 2:49 AM

That clip is extraordinary, but his voice is awful in older age, so that ruins it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2020 2:52 AM

Elton John got lucky. If he hadn't been born when he was and hadn't become a star when he did, he would never have been famous. If he had been born in the 90's like today's stars were he'd be working at a Marshall's, but he was lucky enough to be born in a time where you could be an ugly nobody with a mediocre voice who doesn't write his own songs, is difficult to work with, and has no other talents besides singing and still become a superstar. He should thank his lucky stars every night that he lived the life he did, because even with its ups and downs it was still more than he ever deserved.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2020 2:54 AM

He had a good singing voice when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2020 2:59 AM

R3, he composes it. The lyrics are the worst parts of Elton John songs. Without his medleys and unique singing and phrasing, the songs would be terrible. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a good cover of an Elton John song.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2020 3:00 AM

R6 He had a good voice, not a remarkable one, and yet he achieved the stardom of someone with a remarkable voice. It's insane.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2020 3:00 AM

He's a genius. He writes beautiful melodies backed by beautiful piano arrangements. I love Rocketman, Someone Saved my Life Tonight, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2020 3:03 AM

Rocketman was the only biographical jukebox musical about an artist's life I think I've ever liked. Whoever was responsible for the music and how it was used and redone for a more dramatic setting is the real genius. The film's usage of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was amazing and the only part of the film that actually invoked the emotion it was trying to out of me.

Why haven't they turned Rocketman into a broadway musical yet? It can replace that Jagged Little Pill abortion.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2020 3:03 AM

As a composer I think he is a genius, and look how easily it comes to him in those clips. He can put a melody to anything. I think = genius.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2020 3:04 AM

Rocketman musical is for sure coming.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2020 3:05 AM

If Elton John were born in 1770, he would be Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2020 3:06 AM

Thanks. Another reminder how music today's has gone to shit. Nothing is replacing the greats.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2020 3:06 AM

It’s funny when People say Elton would be nothing without Bernie. That may be true but Bernie would have been nothing without Elton.

The highlight of Bernie’s non Elton career is co writing “We Built This City” which is commonly considered try e worst song of all time.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2020 3:07 AM

Agreed, r10. Rocketman was one of the best films that I have seen in my life. It was beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2020 3:08 AM

There are certain things I am really good at for work. Some people think it's amazing, others don't care. I know I have gifts in these areas, but it took me a long time to think of them as "gifts" but I think they are? In a weird way? I don't know...just because you don't paint masterpieces like Rembrandt at 10, does it mean you cannot have genius?

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2020 3:09 AM

R7 Hwre you go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2020 3:10 AM

Definitely not. Cunty Uncle Tom with talent: yes.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2020 3:10 AM

Elton is a self loathing cunt. I want to know what the story was with David Furnish, baby oil, and the censored from England scandal?

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2020 3:11 AM

Elton’s voice doesn’t sound great today but he still sounded fresh and crisp for decades. In 2004 he sounded great but two years later he was sounding pretty rough and has never recovered his voice.

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2020 3:12 AM

No, all his songs sound the same. The only way I know they’re different are the words.Elton is talented but nothing special. His voice is passable and works. His voice works because it connects with the lyrics which most bigger voiced singers can’t do. It’s why I’m never impressed with how loud or how many octaves a singer has. Most of the truly great singers aren’t technically the best by far.

He’s still overrated by a lot.

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2020 3:14 AM

R22, That’s the case for most groups. I was always annoyed by Fleeteood Mac because all of their songs sound the same but I love them now.

I don’t think Elton Johns songs sound the same. He has record in a variety of genres.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2020 3:17 AM

Yes, Elton is a genius and a very ambitious man. By being gay himself and coming out he has given gays a very high profile. He co-wrote many of his songs and has a lot of gold records -obviously a lot of people love him and his songs. He has managed to survive in the music industry and have great longevity which does not happen very often - 50 years ago he had his first hit single and he is still prominent today. Impressive to put it mildly.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2020 3:20 AM

R23 They do sound the same but they work. He’s talented but nothing extraordinary. Most of the most successful aren’t. The truly best singers, actors, whatever aren’t the most successful due to lack of star quality, lack of connecting with material, lack of many things. It takes the whole package to really be the most successful.

by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2020 3:21 AM

R18 Kaaate Bushhh!! Rocket Maaaaan!! But what would she be singing without the melody? That's all Elton!

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2020 3:22 AM

He’s ehhh. He would be nothing without Taupin. Truth. He’s learned generic melodies to compensate.

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2020 3:23 AM

And now a photo of him. Have always loved his over the top attire and appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2020 3:23 AM

Agree with R24. Sir Elton is a genius, but his coming out was momentous, incredibly brave and made a difference.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2020 3:24 AM

Don't Let the Sun...I mean, Gay Anthem? Certainly could have been for me at a certain point. Duet with George Michael. One of my favourites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2020 3:25 AM

Love this song and video. One of the first I ever saw on MTV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2020 3:26 AM

No genius and has sold out time and time again. He also tries to cling to younger artists to stay relevant with no repercussions. He’s also an awful person. He tries to hide it like a true sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2020 3:26 AM

R32 = Madonna

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2020 3:29 AM

Ugly inside and out. It’s all about him. Repellent human. Tantrums and Tiaras ? That’s ok? Yet others get dragged for far worse. He’s a mean, nasty man.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2020 3:29 AM

One of the first albums I ever bought was Empty Sky. I was 14 and looking for music that my friends didn't know, by the artists we all knew. It changed my life. The harpsichord was something no one was doing at the time, and also the John Lennon backup gave me some cache with my friends who thought Elton was not cool. If John Lennon did backup for him, he MUST be cool!

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2020 3:33 AM

He’s great at creating the same sound for 4 decades. Ok voice. Can’t write lyrics. Has acted horribly yet it’s tolerated because he does some, conveniently, high profile charity work.

Sociopath. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2020 3:35 AM

R31 That video of I'm Still Standing is a real time capsule of mid-1980s, and I am so glad we have it in the archive!

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2020 3:37 AM

the best thing he ever did was his second album, just called Elton John in 1970 - absolutely beautiful and yes, genius. He was also lucky to find superb producers. It all came together so well. Flopped in England. He went to America and they made him an "overnight" star. I guess everyone knows this from that ghastly movie that I gave up on after ten minutes.

I think he ran out of steam in about 1976 and just surfed along on his past successes.

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]Ugly inside and out. It’s all about him. Repellent human. Tantrums and Tiaras ? That’s ok? Yet others get dragged for far worse. He’s a mean, nasty man.

I think he's bad tempered. But not mean. He put his money where his mouth is when it came to AIDS. And he's known to be extremely generous. He's addicted to fame and famous people.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2020 3:46 AM

This is one of my favorite early Elton live performances. Your Song is very difficult to sing and not sound like a totally asshole., BTW. If you don't believe me, try it at karaokee sometime...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2020 3:46 AM

R39 He gets a free pass too often. He’s not a great, good person. He’s complicated. He gets a pass for many reasons which is sad.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2020 3:48 AM

Elton has taken a fair share of criticism for being a diva especially in England. He doesn’t get away with it by any means. It’s the opposite of Mariah and Madonna where their fans take pride in their terrible behavior.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2020 3:50 AM

He recorded this for the BBC in 1970 when the Elton John album came out - it's a bit rough around the edges. One of his best songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2020 3:52 AM

R42 are you fucking serious? both Mariah and Madonna get tons more shit than the sociopath Elton and his terrible behavior.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2020 3:53 AM

R44, If Elton were exposing his tiddys on stage like Madonna at 65, he’d get shit for it too.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2020 3:54 AM

Elton is meh. He’s ok. Nothing too special. Seems very milquetoast.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2020 3:55 AM

Another example of genius. Tiny Dancer. Elton and piano. He makes it sound like an orchestra, but there is no backup band. My mother would have fainted to hear anything close to this coming out of our piano while I practiced and she was making supper...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2020 3:56 AM

R45 he’s a man you fucking nut. Of course he wouldn’t get shit for exposing his “tits”. Google his bare ass pic front a few years ago if you dare,

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2020 3:57 AM

Funny hearing these songs. Reminds me of my parents' cars and 8 tracks.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2020 4:01 AM

R37 Me too! I love Elton paying the hot bellboy with glitter!

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2020 4:01 AM

R48, Oh you’re one of the one of those “Madonna is a victim of sexism” lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2020 4:02 AM

I don't get the vitriol...maybe it's the good ol' DL anti-successful gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2020 4:05 AM

R52 It s an anti ugly effeminate homo thing.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2020 4:06 AM

Elton John has the respect of the general public at large. Madonna has the respect of queens on Tina.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2020 4:08 AM

Nothing "genius" (time to declare a moratorium on the word--forever) about it at all. Predictably plodding pop pablum.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2020 4:08 AM

I guess some of you aren’t gonna put on your Sassons...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2020 4:11 AM

His albums from 1970 through 1973 have many great songs on them and were big sellers, he got enormous radio airplay, and he sold a LOT of concert tickets in the 1970s. Ever since then he's been coasting on all that, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2020 4:18 AM

R43 thank you! I forgot about this gem. Brought a tear to my eye.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2020 4:29 AM

I used to get Elton and Bernie mixed up because they looked exactly the same in the early 70's before Elton started with the glam. I was like, who is the singer?? Anyhow, this is a great early one - Empty Sky. Scrub to 45 sec to skip preamble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2020 4:31 AM

Compare it to this GHASTLY 2004 performance of the same song, R58. Dear God his voice was so shot and he doesn't seem to know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2020 4:33 AM

His tribute to John Lennon, Empty Garden, is very moving. Brings tears to my eyes. Simple, sweet lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2020 4:33 AM

This is the only good song off his very first album and it's very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2020 4:35 AM

In the early 1970s Elton and Bernie looked practically identical, as shown here in this Empty Sky "video" of contemporary pics mixed with the original music . Turn your speakers up for this. It is a real gem! Scrub to 46 sec to get right into it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2020 4:36 AM

I think you all mean Elton doesn't write his own lyrics. He most definitely composes his own songs.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2020 4:41 AM

the gray boxes are a drag on a musical thread.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2020 4:42 AM

Talented, but certainly not a genius. He knows how to play the piano and can sing. Big deal. So can lots of other people.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2020 4:44 AM

[quote] So can lots of other people.

Not these days, they can't.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2020 4:45 AM

R60 I think the performance is marvelous. Sorry! Disagree about the mature Elton voice.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2020 4:46 AM

OMG! R68 - OK.

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2020 4:47 AM

R61 Empty Garden is an amazing song and tribute to John Lennon. This is my favourite live version of it. I hope you enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2020 4:50 AM

R67 Bullshit. Don’t confuse mainstream artists with artists that live in the real world and actually have talent.

by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2020 4:52 AM

He sounds great here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2020 4:57 AM

Is this pig still performing for other pigs like Rush Limbaugh and Aaron Shithead Schock?

by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2020 4:59 AM

yes.

I mudst6 agree the EJ Sinderfooler is a gen9us

by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2020 5:01 AM

Calm Down White Boy

by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2020 5:01 AM

You should go to the airport and wait for Daniel

by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2020 5:02 AM

R72 so lovely. I just posted this in the MM thread. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2020 5:08 AM

Would have loved to have been at the concert at Ephesus to hear the acoustics. I have been to Ephesus, but as a regular tourist, even then, we tested the acoustics in the amphitheatre and they were amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2020 5:12 AM

When Princess Diana died, the first thing I said to my husband was Elton John is going to sing "Candle in the Wind" at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2020 5:16 AM

I absolutely adored him from childhood (saw him on The Muppet Show) until a teen, when I noticed in all the articles and interviews I was reading that he was saying really shitty things about others for no reason. I saw him on the Sleeping With the Past tour and he was bored stiff, did not want to be there.

Then in college a friend of mine went to an Ivy and one weeknight at midnight calls me to tell me all about a girl who had just transferred there from UCLA, her rich parents wanted her out of LA because her attempt at sobriety didn't take, they blamed it on "celebrity AA." I'm half awake wondering why he's telling me this and he said, "You know who her AA partner was? Elton John!"

He was super excited about it but I was really taken aback, it turned out Elton was giving her either old phone numbers or fake phone numbers and he was impossible to get hold of when she needed him, and he was super petulant about it, and her parents decided that was a sign that LA wasn't good for her so they pulled strings to get her transferred out of LA to another school.

Since then it's just been one thing after another both personally and politically, from the beard (I'd foolishly thought he really WAS bi, not gay, god I was stupid when I was a kid) to the bitchiness to the more recent stuff with Limbaugh and saying gays shouldn't want marriage when they already have civil unions.

Musically he's amazing, or at least was; I don't know why someone earlier said he doesn't write his own music, because he at least used to, with studio musicians filling in at times on things like bass that he didn't play, which was how it was done back in the 1970s. Probably still is today. As a human being, he's a pure asshole.

by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2020 5:18 AM

[quote]Dear God his voice was so shot and he doesn't seem to know it.

He knows, he's been having trouble with his voice since the late 1980s, I think. He's had multiple surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2020 5:20 AM

R62 Skyline Pigeon is one of my favorite songs. Thank you for reminding me. Empty Sky was one of the first albums I ever bought when I was about 14.

by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2020 5:25 AM

Yes, of course Elton's a genius. He's a musical genius anyway, can't vouch for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 83November 28, 2020 5:35 AM

Empty Sky > Western Ford Gateway you can really hear the John Lennon > Beatles sign of the times sound here. Elton took the sound further into Country > Blues territory in Madman Across the Water, altho not on the songs that made it to the radio...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 28, 2020 5:41 AM

He’s not even close to a genius. He’s a mildly talented assjole. A real, true, sociopathic cunt. There is no one worse a human than this thing. He’s proven it over and over. He’s sure ready to give approval to homophobia for his career. He’s a horrible human.

Why is Madonna brought up? He’s slagged plenty of musicians who have not kissed his ass. He is always tearing billy Joel a new one. Boy George said he’s just an insecure baby. So true.

by Anonymousreply 85November 28, 2020 6:13 AM

John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Gerry Goffin and Carole King

Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

Burt Bacharach and Hal David

Felice and Boudleoux Bryant

Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich

Nicholas Ashford and Valerie Simpson

Elton John and Bernie Taupin

One composes the melody, the other is the lyricist, producing something like a jillion pop music classics between them.

And the problem with teamwork is . . . ?

by Anonymousreply 86November 28, 2020 6:59 AM

R86 you’re old

by Anonymousreply 87November 28, 2020 7:01 AM

^^^ Oh. So you ARE able to read and comprehend my DataLounge handle. Good for you.

by Anonymousreply 88November 28, 2020 7:19 AM

He's frequently atrocious and I suspect usually unpleasant. He is more than a little big on himself. He seems like a man who doesn't understand what it is to be nice to others. (He tries sometimes to help new talent but it always ends and quickly in some huge lifelong grudge against his proteges.) The costumes, giant sparkly eyeglasses, the bad wigs (though the one at OPs link is surely one of his few best?)

For all that and for some wretched songs, he is one of a few artists I can count on one hand whose work holds up across decades, whose songs heard many hundreds of time can still sound fresh as if hearing them for a first time, whose sad-pretty songs stand out then and still.

by Anonymousreply 89November 28, 2020 8:07 AM

[quote][R62] Skyline Pigeon is one of my favorite songs. Thank you for reminding me

If it's one of your favorite songs why did you need reminding?

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2020 9:50 AM

Skyline Pigeon was one of those songs they tried to get people to record when Elton & Bernie were promoting themselves a song writers - here's a version, it flopped, but interesting to hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 28, 2020 9:57 AM

They even entered a song for Lulu to sing in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1969 - but it wasn't selected by the TV viewers

>>>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 28, 2020 10:03 AM

SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT was written about his attempt to commit suicide and his coming out to a friend named John Baldry, a British blues musician. Either John Baldry or his partner was nicknamed "Sugar Bear ". I forget which.

by Anonymousreply 93November 28, 2020 10:54 AM

No Bernie was the person who saved his life, I thought.

& it was Long John Baldry - I guess LJB was never famous in America. He was more or less openly gay very early on in the scheme of things.

He was a very popular character on the British pop scene in the '60s - but only one big hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Elton was in one of Long John's groups early on, as was Rod Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 28, 2020 11:18 AM

Maybe, but that's overshadowed by his cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 96November 28, 2020 11:24 AM

OMG who are the ignorant CUNTS in this thread who claim Elton John doesn't write his own music. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 97November 28, 2020 11:33 AM

R5 Wait, you think that pop stars of today are more talented than those of 1970s and that they writ their own music? Sarcasm or retardation?

by Anonymousreply 98November 28, 2020 11:54 AM

[Quote] Elton John got lucky. If he hadn't been born when he was and hadn't become a star when he did, he would never have been famous. If he had been born in the 90's like today's stars were he'd be working at a Marshall's, but he was lucky enough to be born in a time where you could be an ugly nobody with a mediocre voice who doesn't write his own songs, is difficult to work with, and has no other talents besides singing and still become a superstar. He should thank his lucky stars every night that he lived the life he did, because even with its ups and downs it was still more than he ever deserved.

Bitch, shut the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 99November 28, 2020 12:08 PM

[Quote] OMG who are the ignorant CUNTS in this thread who claim Elton John doesn't write his own music. The mind boggles.

I think they're mixing up the fact that Elton doesn't write lyrics. They think he writes lyrics but not music.

by Anonymousreply 100November 28, 2020 12:09 PM

One bitter nasty Elton hater has posted 15 times in this thread. Why keep up the hate for grouchy old Elton? Just ignore Elton. It's so easy. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 101November 28, 2020 12:11 PM

R40 my closet-case cousin sang ‘Your Song’ to his Frau wife at their wedding, about five years ago. While a crowd of 200 Gen X hipsters solemnly nodded along and shed polite tears into their IPAS and organic champagne, I had to slope off to an alcove in the corner of the room to do that Veronica Sawyer cry-laugh thing so people didn’t realise I was losing my shit at the spectacle. It was the most second-hand embarrassment I’ve ever felt in my life, but it was also one of the funniest lame-DH moves in recorded history (and my cousin had only become a DH that day!).

This event also catalysed my vow to never to marry, or to do karaoke in public. I hate the phrase ‘teachable moment’, but there’s no better way to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 102November 28, 2020 1:48 PM

R97 probably the same one who claim Madonna DOES!

by Anonymousreply 103November 28, 2020 2:31 PM

R86 You forgot

Beyonce and 12 other people

by Anonymousreply 104November 28, 2020 2:33 PM

R103 Madonna does write her own lyrics and writes the melodies. That is well known. See video below. It’s long but Patrick Leonard talks about her gift for lyrics and melody,

Elton is fantastic with melody. One of the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 28, 2020 9:12 PM

I love Rocketman. Vastly superior to Bohemian Rhapsody IMHO. The use of music was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 106November 28, 2020 9:33 PM

I'm not looking at whether or not Elton's a genius at being a human being, everybody knows he's a huge cunt. Setting that fact aside, I'm thinking about his music.

As a musician, as a songwriter, he's a fucking genius. If the word "genius" is too much for you, then pick another one that means insanely brilliant. Lots of geniuses are also cunts, it's not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 107November 28, 2020 9:49 PM

He may have been touched by genius once upon a time but I've seen "Biily Elliot - The Musical" more than once and I couldn't recount one melody from it if I tried.

by Anonymousreply 108November 28, 2020 9:57 PM

I don't know about "genius" but I admire any artist who doesn't promote the idea that it's an agony to create. It's a way of engaging in the world, reacting to anything, and that's way more interesting and exciting to me than any inscrutable genius. He doesn't write his own lyrics, true. But then, I don't write melodies or lyrics, so I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 109November 28, 2020 9:57 PM

He seems like such a miserable human being. There was a video of him on youtube in concert where he invites people on stage while he performs one of his old songs, and some old lady was clearly happy about being there and next to him that she touched his upper arm while he was playing. The woman had to have been around seventy.

Elton gets such a scowl on him and is seen screaming in the woman's face "Get your fucking hands off me!" At least he knew he came off as a complete asshole and apologized to the woman afterwards. But I don't understand people who have so much money and aren't happy. Not saying money buys happiness, but between Ellen and him, you would think it was the worst thing in the world.

by Anonymousreply 110November 28, 2020 10:04 PM

R110, Source? I remember when he yelled at a drunk guy who was trying to pull his wig off but not what you're describing

by Anonymousreply 111November 28, 2020 10:07 PM

Elton John is a fucking genius.

I got "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" when I was eleven years old, and still think it is incredible.

"Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" is the Elton John/Bernie Taupin masterpiece. I'm stunned so many here don't agree as to his huge talents. I love his voice too!

by Anonymousreply 112November 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Not a genius at all. Talented but limited. He’s lucky he has Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 113November 28, 2020 10:24 PM

[Quote] a drunk guy who was trying to pull his wig off

One man's foreplay...

by Anonymousreply 114November 28, 2020 10:54 PM

That video about Madonna writing Live To Tell was truly brilliant. I have new respect for her.

by Anonymousreply 115November 28, 2020 11:05 PM

Elton John was indeed at pop music genius. His albums of the early 1970s are brilliant. Of course he coasted and did a lot of shlock afterward, but they all do. My God, look at Paul McCartney, but no matter, he will always be a legend and so will Elton John. "Your Song", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Tiny Dancer", "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" etc. good solid pop.

by Anonymousreply 116November 28, 2020 11:15 PM

R94, this is R93. Thank you for the correction. You are accurate, his name was Long John Baldry and he was out in the late 1960/early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 117November 28, 2020 11:46 PM

Paul O'Grady spent the night with Long John Baldry in the 1970s. It's in O'Grady's memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 118November 28, 2020 11:48 PM

"Not saying money buys happiness..."

Those who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 29, 2020 11:49 AM

R119 = Sophia Petrillo

by Anonymousreply 120November 29, 2020 3:44 PM

I read that Elton holds the record for having a top forty hit every year for 24 consecutive years..that's impressive.

Elton had the best opening and closing songs for his concerts. "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" was the perfect opener and "Burn Down The Mission" was incredible as a closer.

It's ironic that Elton's last number one song in the US (Don't Go Breaking My Heart) was his first number one in his home England. He didn't get his first solo number one in the UK until the Eighties with "Sacrifice".

I think Elton is incredible. Anyone who can go from the lilting "Daniel" to the rocking "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" to the flamboyant "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" to the Philly-soul "Philadelphia Freedom" to the bombastic "Don't Let The Sun God Down On Me' has more range than any other artist I know.

by Anonymousreply 121November 30, 2020 1:32 AM

It's quite amusing to read so many comments about his behavior, persona life, etc, while ignoring his decades of accomplishments. "He's an asshole and a jerk!" Yes, and a recovered drug/alcohol addict, but one who's also made more music than most other living musicians. Few, if any, of you cunts could play 'Chopsticks' on a piano, but at least you're good at being cunts.

Back to OP's question; is someone who can make up a song on the spot a 'genius?' Perhaps not, but quite creative. Broadway composer Marc Shaiman can make up songs on the spot. They all have a similar corny style, but is that 'genius?'

Or is David Bowie a 'genius' for having transformed himself through the decades, while Elton's style of songwriting diminished? Bowie rarely made up songs quickly, but relied on other musicians to help him. Is that less 'genius?'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 30, 2020 2:07 AM

"It's ironic that Elton's last number one song in the US (Don't Go Breaking My Heart) was his first number one in his home England."

Excuse you...???

"That's What Friends Are For" - Dionne and Friends - Number 1 in 1985

"Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" with George Michael - Number 1 in 1991

"Candle in the Wind '97" - Number 1 in 1997

by Anonymousreply 123November 30, 2020 8:04 AM

He is absolutely a genius. I think he’s underrated because he was so hugely popular and his best known songs kind of sound similar and lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 124December 6, 2020 1:39 AM

Early Elton John cant be beat. He faded after Captain Fantastic and when he had a resurgence it was more pop oriented.

by Anonymousreply 125December 6, 2020 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!