Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Top Five Favorite Hitchcock Films

1. Strangers on a Train (1951)

2. Lifeboat ( 1944)

3. Notorious ( 1946)

4. North By Northwest ( 1959)

5. The Birds ( 1963)

by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2020 8:38 PM

1. Vertigo

2. Psycho

3. Rope

4. North by Northwest

5. The Birds

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2020 10:46 PM

1. Psycho

2. Vertigo

3. Strangers on a Train

4. Shadow of a Doubt

5. The 39 Steps

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2020 10:48 PM

Rebecca

Strangers on a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

Rear Window

North by Northwest

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2020 10:50 PM

Someone's been watching TCM.

"Shadow of a Doubt" is on right now.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2020 10:52 PM

1. Psycho

2. Strangers on a Train

3. Shadow of a Doubt

4. The Birds

5. Rope

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2020 10:52 PM

To Catch A Thief

It gave Grace Kelly some needed practice driving those tight curves on the Côte d'Azur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2020 10:53 PM

I recently watched The Birds for the first time. It started out good but I was quite annoyed when the film ended and we never find out why those fucking birds are raising Hell and killing everything in sight!

I've seen so many of Hitchcock's movies. I can't rank them all because some I haven't watched most of them in 10 plus years, but the handful that stick out (in no particular order) are:

REBECCA

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

NOTORIOUS (probably my fav)

DIAL M FOR MURDER

SUSPICION

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2020 10:54 PM

Shadow of a Doubt

North By Northwest

Rebecca

Rear Window

The Man Who Knew Too Much

But really, it's impossible to select just five, or even to rank them.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2020 11:03 PM

Notorious

North by Northwest

Rear Window

Strangers on A Train

Vertigo

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2020 11:20 PM

Vertigo

The Lady Vanishes

The 39 Steps

North by Northwest

Shadow of A Doubt

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2020 11:32 PM

5. To Catch a Thief

4. Rebecca

3. Vertigo

2. Spellbound

1. Notorious

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2020 11:37 PM

Rear Window

North by Northwest

Shadow of a Doubt

Notorious

Rebecca

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2020 11:37 PM

I can't decide!!!

But let me add the FIRST *Man Who Knew Too Much* where instead of wussy singing the child's mother's special skill is sharpshooting, which she deploys quite as effectively in the service of the law as Doris Day does "Que Sera Sera."

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2020 11:40 PM

Strangers on a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

The Lady Vanishes

Spellbound (that one never gets enough attention)

Family Plot ( probably the only mention you'll see in these lists)

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2020 11:42 PM

No love for Marnie? NO LOVE FOR MARNIE?!?

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2020 11:44 PM

In no particular order:

(Second) Man who knew too much

Rear Window

To Catch a Thief

North by Northwest

Strangers on a Train

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2020 12:01 AM

The Lady Vanishes

Rear Window

The Birds

Psycho

Marnie

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2020 12:05 AM

Psycho

North By Northwest

Rear Window

Notorious

Spellbound

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2020 12:14 AM

1. Rear Window

2. Psycho

3. Strangers on a Train

4. Vertigo

5. Notorious

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2020 12:17 AM

In the realm of Hitchcock, The Birds is actually a mediocre film. Psycho, Rope and Strangers on a Train are all superior.

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2020 12:18 AM

I have never understood the love for Vertigo. Like the guy really didn't know that it was Kim Novak the whole time? And how did the evil husband and Novak escape down the tower after throwing the wife off?

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2020 12:22 AM

In no particular order:

Psycho

The Lady Vanishes

The 39 Steps

Rebecca

Spellbound

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2020 12:26 AM

Rear Window

Dial M for Murder

North by Northwest

Strangers on a Train

The Trouble With Harry (for sentimental reasons)

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2020 12:40 AM

Notorious North by Northwest Shadow of a Doubt Strangers on a Train Rear Window

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2020 12:46 AM

1. Psycho (Absolute masterpiece. One of his rare endings that work. And how !)

2. Strangers on a train.

3. Rear Window ( I love the premise too bad the thriller collapses at the end)

4. Shadow of A Doubt

5. The Trouble With Harry ( I love New Hampshire in automn, so sue me !)

Vertigo would have made the cut if the end wasn't so insultingly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2020 12:48 AM

TCM had both Frenzy and Family Plot on recently, and I watched both of them for the first time since they were released. Definitely not first-tier Hitchcock, but still watchable.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2020 12:54 AM

Notorious

Psycho

The Birds

Rear Window

Vertigo

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2020 1:03 AM

This is a list that would change for me depending on when I made it.

As of now:

1) Rear Window

2) Psycho

3) Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock's personal favorite BTW)

4) Vertigo

5) The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2020 1:08 AM

5) Foreign Correspondent

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (Stewart/Day)

3) Strangers On A Train

2) The Birds

1) Rear Window

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2020 1:16 AM

Favorites to watch:

5. Strangers on a Train

4. Thirty-Nine Steps

3. Notorious

2. North by Northwest

1. Rear Window

HIs best in terms of film art (the best are not always the ones I can watch over and over):

5. Thirty-Nine Steps

4. Rear Window

3. The Birds

2. Psycho

1. Vertigo

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2020 1:16 AM

Rear Window North by Northwest Psycho Strangers on a Train The Boyds

Never could get into Vertigo either and want to because it's considered such a great movie but...

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2020 1:16 AM

1. Shadow of a Doubt. Not as perfect a movie as Rebecca, but nearly so; and it certainly has the Hitchcockian feel rebecca lacks. The cast could not be better from top to bottom, with standouts being Patricia Collinge (above all) as the silly, fragile, adoring mother; Teresa Wright as her resourceful and surprisingly tough elder daughter; and Joseph Cotten as her despicable but magnetic brother. Also with one of the greatest of all Hitchcock suspense sequences when Wright races to the town library, which is just about to close, to find out just what story her uncle tore out of the newspaper...

2. Rebecca. Does not have the typical Hitchcockian feel, but otherwise a genuinely great movie--one of the best of all movies ever made in Hollywood. Career best film performances from Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson, and one of the all-time great Hollywood scores, by Franz Waxman.

3. Vertigo. Beautifully constructed and filmed, with a great, breathtaking story, a superb supporting performance by Barbara Bel Geddes, and another great score (this time by Bernard Herrmann). Marred only by the obvious mannequin substituting for Madeline Elstir in the tower scene midway through the movie.

4. Psycho. Probably takes more risks in terms of constructing a narrative than any of Hitchcock's films, and it mostly pays off. The two big murders of Janet Leigh and Martin Balsam are still shocking and thrillingly edited (as is the sequence when the bank manager recognizes Janet Leigh in the car when he is in the crosswalk), all these years later, and there's a great small comic role for Hitchcock's daughter Pat at the bank. It also has hilarious dialogue (which you don't really notice until you see it the first two times) for Norman's mother ("Candlelight? Whispers?").

5. Foreign Correspondent. The culmination of Hitchcock's 30s fascination with espionage and intrigue, with some of he greatest of all Hitchcock bits of business in any of his film: the windmill with the sails going the wrong way; the assassination among the umbrellas in the rain; and bst of all, that jaw-dropping plane crash sequence in the ocean.

Honorable mention: Marnie. Flawed in almost every way, but perhaps the most compulsively watchable for all its errors and shortcomings. Another great supporting performance (this time from Diane Baker), and another of Bernard Herrmann's greatest scores (especially during the hunt sequence).

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2020 1:28 AM

Top five:

Lifeboat

Psycho

Foreign Correspondent

The 39 Steps

Shadow of a Doubt

Next five:

Rear Window

Strangers on a Train

The Birds

To Catch a Thief

Frenzy

Honorable mention:

Notorious

The Lady Vanishes

Rebecca

Rope

Saboteur

What a treasure trove!

Other directors such as Billy Wilder or John Ford or Michael Curtiz or Orson Welles or William Wyler may have been "better," Oscar-winning directors, but I would be hard-pressed to name 15 of their movies off the top of my head…

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2020 1:41 AM

1. Rear Window 2. Vertigo 3. Psycho 4. Notorious 5. Rebecca

The definitive list. Do I get a prize?

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2020 2:11 AM

I really love Mr and Mrs Smith.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2020 2:14 AM

Notorious and Rear Window are essentially perfect. Psycho is nearly perfect except for the campy ending.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2020 2:16 AM

Saboteur was on TCM today, with the now 106-year-old Norman Lloyd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2020 2:25 AM

It took me a long time to get into Vertigo. Once I saw the film as a dream rather than a conventional movie, I appreciated it more.

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2020 2:26 AM

Nothing else has had the cultural impact of Psycho. A nearly perfect film that has stood the test of time.

Runner ups would be North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rebecca, Notorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2020 2:31 AM

Vertigo could be interesting as an erotic dream if the leading man had any sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2020 2:35 AM

I think that's another reason for the success of Psycho, that the cast is for the most part attractive, and there is a sexual/naughty aspect to some of the scenes. Even Vera Miles was quite a pretty actress, though she was purposely dressed in frumpy, unsexy clothes by Hitchcock in this film, probably to play up Janet Leigh's sexiness by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2020 3:08 AM

Shadow of a DOubt

Rear Window

The Birds

Notorious/Rebecca

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2020 3:22 AM

Psycho - I know how bad this sounds but I need get Psycho. It's filmed like one of his television shows, and Perkins is a very uninteresting actor. Only Janet Leigh is interesting but then she's dead. I can't get into it.

No love for Under Capricorn or The Paradine Case or The Wrong Man ( a very well film with good performances by Fonda and Miles)?

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2020 2:30 PM

1. Shadow of a Doubt

2. Sabotage

3. Psycho

4. Frenzy

5. Young and Innocent

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2020 3:54 PM

In fact Hitchcock did use his television crew to film Psycho, and used standard focal length lenses (no wide angle or telephoto shots), to purposely give it an ordinary, everyday look and not a cinematic look.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2020 4:15 PM

Not the best, but my faves:

1. ROPE.

2. YOUNG AND INNOCENT.

3. NOTORIOUS.

4. NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

5. STAGE FRIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2020 4:51 PM

Thank you, R23, for including The Trouble With Harry. I had to watch it last month to reinforce the New England autumn. But then I read that they scheduled filming a week too late, and had to glue fake colored leaves onto all the trees, so we're seeing art, not nature.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Psycho

The Birds

Rebecca

North by Northwest

Frenzy

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2020 5:08 PM

1. Vertigo

2. Rear Window

3. Rope

4. The Man Who New Too Much (remake)

5. North by Northwest

I love Notorious, Rebecca, Psycho too, but ultimately I'm a sucker for those saturated Technicolor dreamscapes...even Dial M for Murder.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2020 5:23 PM

R48 Miss Lucy, I assume your kitties love it when you watch The Birds!

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2020 8:12 PM

R50 It's funny, when they hear the birds make any sort of sound, or even birds in other movies or documentaries, they'll arrive and look around the room, wondering where the sound is coming from. I often find one of those "kitty shows" on Youtube, showing a flock of birds cackling and chattering and flapping around, and they're totally mesmerized. Sometimes they'll swat at the screen and often they'll look behind the computer screen to see if they're hiding there.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2020 8:39 PM

Looking back over his credits on IMDB I realize I really don't like Hitchcock that much. The Birds is the only film of his I can watch over and over again. I think it's his most perfect film, genuinely thrilling and original. I was SO disappointed when I went to Bodega Bay and it was nothing like that.

I like The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) because Peter Lorre is so awesome in it. Gomez Addams come to life.

Notorious, for Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains.

Rear Window, near-perfect film but a little too artificial.

Psycho, perfect for about the first half hour, then it becomes a William Castle picture.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2020 9:00 PM

Off-topic I know, but R51 one of my cats has no interest in birds. He prefers videos of mice and chippers.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2020 9:15 PM

Lifeboat is my favorite Hitchcock picture, I laughed and cried and bit my nails all the way through. And I think it is the best cinematic record of Tallulah Bankhead, except for maybe her appearance on the Lucy- Desi Comedy Hour ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]I was SO disappointed when I went to Bodega Bay and it was nothing like that.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2020 12:40 AM

I aways forget about Lifeboat as it seems so much more like a Tallulah Bankhead picture rather than a Hitchcock film....but yes, it's brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2020 2:36 AM

R43, [italic]Under Capricorn[/italic] had one redeeming feature: Michael Wilding's performance. Of the Hitchcock movies I've watched all the way through, it's the worst. I admit I've never been able to watch [italic]Vertigo, Spellbound, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith[/italic] in full.

A director who made that many movies is bound to have a few stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2020 4:48 AM

Yet despite any supposed stinkers, the 42 posters on this thread are able to name a dozen or more of his movies off the top of our heads

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2020 6:21 AM

psycho psycho psycho for gods sake, and the birds, maybe marnie.

the rest......meh

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2020 7:41 AM

Amd which of the rest have you seen, R59?

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2020 7:48 AM

[quote]they scheduled filming a week too late, and had to glue fake colored leaves onto all the trees, so we're seeing art, not nature.

That’s disappointing to hear, I still love the movie though

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2020 8:20 AM

1. Vertigo

2. Rebecca

3. Strangers on a Train

4. Psycho

5. Shadow of. Doubt

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2020 8:21 AM

Top Five (For LGBTQ Interest):

1. MURDER!

2. ROPE.

3. STRANGERS ON A TRAIN.

4. THE BIRDS.

5. REBECCA.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2020 12:03 PM

Is the (non-Hitchcock) remake of "The Lady Vanishes" any good? I saw it was available on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2020 12:24 PM

1.The Thirty-Nine Steps

2. The Lady Vanishes

3. Suspicion

4. To Catch a Thief

5. Spellbound

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2020 12:39 PM

To Catch a Thief

Dial M for Murder

The 39 Steps

Under Capricorn

Vertigo

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2020 1:00 PM

Mah' favorites:

1. Rear Window

2. Rebecca

3. Psycho

4. North by Northwest

5. The Lady Vanishes

And mah' least favorites:

1. Topaz

2. Stage Fright

3. The Paradine Case

4. The Trouble with Harry

5. Young and Innocent

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2020 1:06 PM

1 Psycho. (absolutely lurid and very influential)

2 The Birds (horrifying with a camp edge)

3 Rear Window (perverse)

4 To Catch a Thief (its just so darn pretty)

5. Stage Fright (Dietrich fan here), The Trouble with Harry (very easy and pleasant to watch. Nice tone), Vertigo (his greatest film but not my favorite)

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2020 1:15 PM

R64, A British remake with Keeley Hawes of the Durrells playing the paramour of the married attorney, that version is OK, but of course it lacks spark and snap of the original.

However, the remake with Cybil Shepherd and Elliot Gould is truly wretched, but it is watchable in that car wreck kind of way, Cybil tried playing madcap in several different movies, but she never quite gets there..

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2020 5:38 PM

I never forget that Hitchcock was raised a Catholic. I think " I, Confess" -1953 and " The Wrong Man "-1956 are very underrated. As is the great "Saboteur"-1942 with a script by Dorothy Parker. And although I like watching " Dial M For Murder"- I always get lost in the key exchange. And it feels more like a play than "Rope".

by Anonymousreply 70November 30, 2020 8:31 PM

Vertigo

Notorious

Rear Window

North By Northwest

To Catch A Thief

by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2020 8:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!