Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where would you rather move?

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2020 3:52 PM

I like it just where I am. Is that an option?

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2020 1:19 AM

Yes. Choice 9.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2020 1:20 AM

I would imagine that most American's would choose the English-speaking portions of Canada as a relocation destination; because there wouldn't be any language barrier.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2020 1:20 AM

Canada, hands down. Not sure why Americans (and Canadians) seem so enamored with Japan, though...?

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2020 1:28 AM

Japan? really? One of the most rigid societies in the world and Americans, Canadians and Australians choose it? I call bs.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2020 1:32 AM

Maybe lek shave poozey, R4

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2020 1:33 AM

I’m relieved a country I live isn’t on that list.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2020 1:35 AM

Well, I'm definitely not moving to Qatar -

(1) because of the heat, and

(2) I don't like the way the country's name is pronounced.

(It seems like it should be Cu-TAR instead of CUT-er)

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote]Canada, hands down.

It always seems to me like America but without the sense of humour. The people seem dreary and have no sense of fun.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2020 1:50 AM

R9, what about moving back to Botswana?

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2020 1:50 AM

R2, sorry, I'm drunk. I will be a long time until I make sweet, sweet love to your body.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2020 1:51 AM

R10 = chippy Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2020 1:51 AM

I find Canadians have a much dryer sense of humor than Americans, and can be overly polite before they get to know you.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2020 1:55 AM

I don't think I've ever met a Canadian. What are they like?

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2020 1:58 AM

Australia or Canada of the ones on the list, but I'd personally would be very happy moving to a Caribbean island in a nice little house by the beach. That would be literal paradise.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2020 2:13 AM

Canada? It's a perfectly okay place, but to live there? What's the point of moving there?

I think many Americans think the rest of the world is some primitive, developing wasteland. Or worse. And that's just the obvious countries they know something about.

Americans are freaked out to find that it's common in some countries to have a clothescwasher or clothes washer and dryer in a kitchen. They fall apart if a house doesn't have a front and rear garden and a 3 car garage and a bathroom for every child. No appliance hutch for the blender? No, not having that. No separate space for the folding of clothes? Impossible. No grocery store as big as a Heathrow terminal? No 150 varieties of peanut butter flavored breakfast cereal? No peanut butter? No super complicated and extortionately expensive matrix of health care options and co-pays and deductibles? People speaking in strange tongues? No Wal-Marts?

They are an adventure averse people down to the tiniest detail and on whole don't transplant well

Meanwhile, the U.S. is the favored destination of just two countries.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2020 2:27 AM

Japan = no Muslims, Mexicans or black people

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2020 2:27 AM

I lived in 2 countries on that list. I think the thing most people forget is that living someplace is not the same as visiting. Example: It was always my dream to move to Germany, but living there for several years was tough.

I'd consider moving overseas again, but these surveys are about as reliable as an online personality quiz.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2020 2:36 AM

Japan is a safe, clean country but very difficult for foreigners. The language alone is a deal-breaker, plus the apartments, culture, climate, reserved nature of the people, high cost of living.

Portugal is a good bet. Good climate, gorgeous coastline, relatively safe, very kind and friendly people who mostly speak English, good infrastructure, and 2/3 the cost of Western Europe. Only downside is if you have to earn a living here, salaries are very low.

Spain is similar but the locals do not speak English and the cost of living is higher.

I would say Australia is very similar to the US, but again, very high cost of living, extreme climate, lots of nasty wildlife, and little culture.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2020 7:04 AM

[quote] Example: It was always my dream to move to Germany, but living there for several years was tough.

This is interesting, what did you find difficult about living in Germany?

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2020 7:38 AM

[quote] It always seems to me like America but without the sense of humour. The people seem dreary and have no sense of fun.

I think this is more true of English-speaking Canadians. They also have a HUGE inferiority complex regarding America. It's like half of them have memorized a list of things that makes them glad they "don't live in the states".

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2020 7:41 AM

[quote]This is interesting, what did you find difficult about living in Germany

Its history, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2020 9:16 AM

[quote]I think this is more true of English-speaking Canadians. They also have a HUGE inferiority complex regarding America. It's like half of them have memorized a list of things that makes them glad they "don't live in the states".

yet they're always talking about "North America" - the Americans don't, they don't ever feel the need to include Canada when they talk about their country.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2020 9:18 AM

Believe me, Canada is no longer feeling any inferiority to that leper colony to the south.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2020 9:26 AM

What comes out of that huge country Canada...apart from maple syrup?

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2020 9:29 AM

Not much, but at least we aren't suffocating to the death by the millions on lung fluid.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2020 9:33 AM

America doesn't even need their maple syrup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2020 9:36 AM

No country on earth will let Americans in for years. The US is synonymous with plague.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2020 9:43 AM

Your mother's mother that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2020 9:55 AM

Some of these are too funny. For example, that Germany wants to move to Switzerland and Switzerland wants to move to Germany -- what for?

(I'm linking directly to the original map below, so you don't have to click on the Fail's wonky version).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2020 10:15 AM

Brazil

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2020 10:38 AM

[quote]Brazil

All these places, what the fuck are you going to when when you get there?

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2020 10:53 AM

[quote]No country on earth will let Americans in for years. The US is synonymous with plague.

Is everything you say ridiculous?

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2020 11:04 AM

[quote]All these places, what the fuck are you going to when when you get there?

What do you do where you are now that's so fucking great and important?

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2020 11:05 AM

[quote[What do you do where you are now that's so fucking great and important?

More than I'd do in bloody Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2020 11:10 AM

Japan? From the US? I question that. I have lived there, if only for 18 months, but I couldn't imagine relocating permanently unless it was down to Japan versus rural Nebraska.

Flaws and all, I prefer certain parts of the States.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2020 11:19 AM

[quote] Japan is a safe, clean country but very difficult for foreigners. The language alone is a deal-breaker, plus the apartments, culture, climate, reserved nature of the people, high cost of living.

I heard from a friend who lived in Japan, and spoke fluent Japanese, that, if you don't look Japanese, you'll always be regarded as an outsider. I've found that, on my occasional trips there, people were unfailingly polite, yet often they wouldn't sit next to me on the subway.

I've often wondered about people's mindsets when they answer such surveys. Do they assume that they would be able to speak/learn the language easily, have enough money which would allow them to lead a comfortable life, find meaningful employment, and quickly make friends, etc, or are they just thinking it would be like a permanent holiday?

Friends of ours were contemplating moving from NYC to Provincetown to retire but after a few extended visits, decided against it. I asked if it was the winter that dissuaded them. 'No', they said, 'the summer'. Dealing with hoards of tourists every days is fine when you're one of the tourists, but when you're a local you see things entirely differently.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2020 11:45 AM

Surprised to see so many want to move to Britain, in the year 2020. You do know the outlook is quite bleak for our tiny island right now, don’t you? Now that an unwanted Brexit is closing us off from the continent, industries and businesses are closing left and right, and the Tories are trying to sell us to America, it’s not looking rosy and bright for us at all. Actually, it’s a nightmare situation.

If this survey had been done ten or fifteen years ago, that result might be more understandable. But the last several years have seen native British people with money and means scrambling to get out - particularly to Switzerland, Scandinavia, New Zealand, Canada, Spain, and the South of France - and snag jobs & properties abroad. Then those wealthy older people & families who can’t or won’t leave are buying up all the decent properties and land in the country and gentrifying everything so there’s no accessible jobs, driving out less well-off rural locals such as myself.

So sadly I’ve been considering jumping ship like a drowned rat, though I have lived in England & Wales all my young life and love it dearly. I’m lower-middle-class with few connections or marketable skills beyond writing, I don’t have a good resume, and I only speak English, so my options are very limited. On the other hand, I also don’t have anyone I’m leaving behind or worth staying for, beyond my parents and siblings.

Seeing as I don’t mind the weather or a quiet life, so I was thinking about heading for Southern Ireland, Sweden, or perhaps Alaska. My awful estranged relatives went to UAE, New Zealand & Canada, but for that reason I don’t fancy either place (and having met natives from those countries I didn’t like). In the past (childhood, really) I was lucky enough to see Germany & Iceland, and while I loved both as a visitor neither culture was a fit for me; Iceland is frighteningly wild and remote, and Germany is too fast-paced and efficiency-driven.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2020 12:23 PM

R38, you should think about acquiring a skill you could market online and then travel around til you find a place that suits you. The world is a big, beautiful place if you aren't tied down because of work, family or language.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2020 12:34 PM

And Russia likes the US. I guess they are only comfortable in a shithole country.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2020 1:07 PM

I moving to Portugal once my parents pass away.

I've got dual citizenship (US & Portugal), I speak Portuguese, I've got some land on the island of Faial, in the Azores and I've saved enough in retirement and investments to live there rather nicely.

At least that's the current plan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2020 1:44 PM

Mexico or bust for me. I don't do cold weather any more.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2020 1:56 PM

Cold weather no bueno

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2020 2:02 PM

I was always going to move back to America from London. But recently I've changed my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2020 2:07 PM

R39 thanks for the kind encouraging words. It’s a sound idea, and sounds exciting, but unfortunately not quite as easy as all that. I lack confidence, but that’s not the only issue.

On the plus side, I’m confident I can learn and use the basics of another language (in high school I had the bare bones of conversational German, and I know some Welsh), and I don’t mind not having friends or family around given that I’m not close to anyone. I’m more concerned about my health and my career suffering more than it is now if I leave, but I guess it’s not getting much better staying where I am, anyhow.

Leaving aside the pandemic, if I personally went anywhere alone to live and work I’d be constrained to low-level jobs, because I cannot pay or get loans to retrain or go back to school at a high enough level, yet I am too old to become an apprentice or do student work. Wherever I ended up I’d be relying entirely on public transport, as I cannot get a driver’s license due to health, which is a risk and also limits opportunities for career growth and social assimilation. Basically wherever I ended up the infrastructure and the living wage would have to be very solid. Finally, I’m not streetwise at all (had a panic attack and got lost the first time I went to London, in college), and don’t really trust my own capability to find work and fit in and make it all work, though I wish I did. I haven’t even looked into the legal malarkey about Visas now that we’re Brexitting and free movement is being restricted.

There’s so much to think about and much that could go wrong, but considering how hard it is to find work in an overcrowded England that is getting more cutthroat by the day I’m not sure I have a choice.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2020 2:17 PM

[quote] Mexico or bust for me. I don't do cold weather any more.

I hear that. I always thought I'd stay in NY forever, but I'm really dreading winter, especially this year.

I'd like to live somewhere warm like Mexico or Costa Rica in the winter and then come back to NY in May

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2020 2:19 PM

[quote]There’s so much to think about and much that could go wrong, but considering how hard it is to find work in an overcrowded England that is getting more cutthroat by the day I’m not sure I have a choice.

Gurl, stay where you are for now. You'll always have Wales.

[quote]in high school I had the bare bones of conversational German, and I know some Welsh

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote]I hear that. I always thought I'd stay in NY forever, but I'm really dreading winter, especially this year.

At least you can trust it being warm for more than half the year. I can't.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2020 2:22 PM

R2, if you don’t understand why that is false, please choose option 9.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2020 2:40 PM

Japan!?! WTF is that about? I have never heard anyone I know express an interest in moving to Japan. Who the hell did they ask? What would anyone seriously want to move there? That makes zero sense.

The majority of this country has never left it. How do they decide Japan is where they would want to live? Something ain’t right about this poll. If we have learned anything from the past 4 years, it’s that modern polling sucks.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2020 2:45 PM

I'm guessing most Americans googling "how can I move to..." are college age weaboos who fetishize Japan.

Well a lot of people here do talk about moving to Canada...but probably not very seriously. I'm sure it was the runner up though. Looking at this map, it really seems Canada has replaced us as the attractive New World country for immigrants. I know the world has been telling us decades that the United States actually kind of sucks compared to other first world countries', but I kind of thought many of them were saving face because certain aspects of American culture and government are embarrassing. I figured the good still outweighed the bad for them. I guess not!

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2020 3:02 PM

Total garbage. I've never ever heard anyone say they want to move to Japan. Not one person. Other countries yes - but never Japan.

There are just so many things wrong with Japan for a foreigner to live there that I don't even know where to start. Anybody visited Japan? I have.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2020 3:07 PM

I'm relieved that a country that I love isn't a top pick. I don't want them flooded with migrants, including from the West.

You can't just move anywhere, you know.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2020 3:08 PM

I always used to joke "I've never heard anyone say they want to move to or move "back to" Sweden".

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2020 3:10 PM

I love Canada and not at all surprised it tops the list. It's a huge country with relatively sparse population, which for me is ideal. The scenery and outdoor space is my favourite in the world. If I could relocate there tomorrow I'd go.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2020 3:29 PM

I like FRIENDLY outgoing people so Canada is OUT!

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2020 3:31 PM

R56 that's an odd statement - Canadians that I've encountered, without exception, have been friendly and outgoing.

R51 I don't really understand the US vs Canada thing - I've visited both several times and Canada is superior to the US in every single thing that is important to me. There is literally nothing that I think is better in the US than Canada. The only people I've ever heard express an interest in moving to the US are trash.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2020 3:34 PM

I like most everything about Canada except the climate. Vancouver is still way too fucking cold and wet. And it's extremely difficult for an American to move there.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2020 7:43 PM

Surely cities like Toronto have decent summers?

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2020 7:48 PM

Funny how almost none of the EU-countries mention America.

The Portugese want to move to The Netherlands.. why?! Amsterdam and some other old cities are lovely, but the weather is measly and the food is crap.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2020 7:57 PM

R60 what I found interesting about NL is the low tolerance and lack of acceptance by the white populace for anyone coloured. Little Dutch kids will unflinchingly spout racist epithets and ideas in polite company with a casualness akin to talking about Pokemon cards. As a Brit - from a country that has the opposite problem - this was a very big cultural obstacle to run into. I could only stand there in shock listening to it.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2020 8:04 PM

I don't believe this "research". I live in New Zealand and there is no way Fiji is the country most would relocate to.

The methodology certainly sounds dodgy... "The map has been drawn up by financial services provider Remitly, which looked at search data from Google for 100 countries. It says it created a ranking by looking at average monthly search volumes for phrases commonly associated with a move abroad and the most-searched-for locations within the 100 countries."

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote] heard from a friend who lived in Japan, and spoke fluent Japanese, that, if you don't look Japanese, you'll always be regarded as an outsider. I've found that, on my occasional trips there, people were unfailingly polite, yet often they wouldn't sit next to me on the subway.

Deep down inside Japanese people is a raging xenophobic nationalist. They were just subdued (putting it mildly) in WW2 thanks to America. There people STILL deny the existence of comfort woman. And look at their attitude to that psychotic WW2 era fighter who was found in (I think) the Philliphines. He was hiding in some cave and had no idea if the war was over not. He was found many years after the war was over and was treated like a national hero in Japan due to his devotion and dedication to the country. So weird. And I say all of this as a person who also loves the country itself, the food, temples, philosophy, cleanliness, etc.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2020 8:46 PM

Clean and safe as it may be, if you are used to any kind of freedom, Switzerland would be tough. The rules you have to abide by if you live in a condominial apartment are preposterous, eg, no flushing of toilets or taking showers after 11. If you have a party and invite your neighbours, they will come and when they leave, they will phone the police. If you don't adhere to your assigned laundry slot, there will be an uproar.

And you may not like paying $10 for a can of tuna.

by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2020 7:14 AM

Switzerland wants to make to Germany and vice versa. They should just swap.

by Anonymousreply 65November 26, 2020 9:40 AM

[quote]Japan!?! WTF is that about? I have never heard anyone I know express an interest in moving to Japan. Who the hell did they ask?

It is a ridiculous survey, R50, as R62 explains the methodology. It reminds me of the silly responses to various "What's the most Googled question about these countries?" "studies" which of course are not meant as even vaguely disciplined examinations of anything.

I have, though, known more than a fair share of Americans who have said things to the effect that they would like to live in Japan one day, or if they had to move to another country, Japan would be interesting. In the case of the people I've known, some have some connections by some study of the language, travel, they worked there, or they have a partner or relative or close friend who lives there. The others, however, have no connection at all beyond maybe seeing a museum exhibit and leaving "curious about Japanese culture," or curious about Zen gardens, or Shoji screens, or the people "they seem so polite." About half or more had some connection that explained all, the other half or less picked it wit all the care of throwing a dart a map.

by Anonymousreply 66November 26, 2020 9:40 AM

Noruega, Londres, Canada, Irlanda, Nova York.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2020 9:43 AM

Australia (although I think I have aged out of that option). I've never encountered such kind, well-mannered, genuine people anywhere. Very progressive, and a beautiful continent.

by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2020 11:21 AM

Japan?

I suppose Connor Jessup Googling "moving to Japan" thousands of times skewed the results.

by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2020 11:25 AM

I would love to move to NZ. English-speaking and far and away from the rest of the world’s bullshit, at least geographically.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2020 11:34 AM

R70 visit before you commit to NZ.

I found the Kiwi locals to be xenophobic, insular, rude, and proudly limited. And I come from rural England, so I know provincial.

The expats are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2020 12:02 PM

Canadian Taylor Kitsch once shared in an interview that he grew up in a white trash trailer park with 4 siblings and a single mother who had 3 jobs to make ends meet.

I always thought Canada was superior and had great health care and social security. No need to move there if they have white trash trailer park folks and no support systems I guess.

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2020 12:10 PM

I'd choose Belgium. Good food (moules frites, stoofvlees, cheese) and beer. Also centrally located to easily pop over to France, Germany, Holland, Denmark, or the rest of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2020 12:23 PM

Interesting - UK winning the DL poll. Obviously that would be the easiest transition for Americans. Scotland would be nice...once that little Hitler is removed.

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2020 12:33 PM

I've lived in 10 countries. Netherlands and Spain were the best.

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2020 12:52 PM

Australia has been hands down the winner among America forever, so I think they bungled the map.

by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2020 1:15 PM

In Asia I'm thinking Korea would win as so many Americans have been there.

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2020 1:17 PM

All those Mexicans wanting to move to Canada must get lost on their way there and just stay in the US.

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2020 1:17 PM

The Swiss sound like passive-aggressive Nazis. I guess that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2020 5:38 PM

Don't go to New Zealand if you are materialistic. The shopping in New Zealand is dreadful. There is little interesting on the shelves and no surprise shipping charges are unsurprisingly sky high to the ass-end of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2020 3:24 PM

R72 How can you be surprised? One of Canada's most "well-known" comedy shows is called Trailer Park Boys! Of course Canada has trash!

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2020 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!