Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cloying Dick Cavett

Today I watched my Criterion copy of Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent" from 1940.

After the film ended, I discovered that one of the extras on the same disk was a 1972 interview with Alfred Hitchcock from the Dick Cavett Show.

The interview was a bit longer than 1 hour. (All film clips mentioned in the interview had been removed as had all the commercials.)

Hitchcock was fascinating to watch. He spoke about his films, and some of the tricks of the trade he used for famous shots (the glass of milk that Cary Grant carried up the stairs in "Suspicion", for example). Watching his droll sense of humor, mixed with his serious comments was great to see.

Unfortunately, the other person doing the interview, Dick Cavett, was completely annoying and cloying to a sickening degree. In addition, Cavett seemed to find it necessary to try to "top" Hitchcock's stories, coming up with utterly inane and embarrassingly stupid comments after AH had made a charmingly low level humorous remark. AH's comments were so relaxed that no over the top humor was needed, or indeed appropriate.

I was tempted more than once to just stop watching because of DC ruining the flow, but Hitchcock was so interesting that I stayed the course.

I'm old enough to remember when Cavett was a media darling and had many very famous guests, but watching this whole show reminded me what annoying, self important toad he was.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 10:04 PM

Name dropper, pretentious, phony, square pretending to be hip, try hard, queeny, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 8:57 PM

I see it's Dick Cavett's birthday today. Anyone remember to send a card?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 9:09 PM

Cavett had a nice hairy chest when he was shirtless while he was trying some boxing as part of some interview of a boxer, (was it Mohammed Ali?) that they showed on tv relatively recently from way back.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 9:13 PM

Closet case?

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 9:20 PM

The Dick Cavett show was ALWAYS about Dick Cavett. He was the Tyra Banks of his time. I'm surprised he didn't change suits during the commercials.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 9:29 PM

R4 well known homo but never out as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 9:33 PM

I agree he was sometimes over the top and annoying, but there weren't many other interview shows that booked the people he did.

And I agree with R3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 9:55 PM

You know I loved The Dick Cavett Show when it was on. It was a new style and had such great guests. It was a welcome relief from the other crappy interviews. But when I see clips of it now I realize he was just as OP puts it - cloying and, as others said, rather egotistical.

He served his purpose and in the end that's all that matters I guess.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!