Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old School PBS Cooking Shows

Anyone get into the Frugal Gourmet (WHET Jeff Smith?) or Yan Can Cook (Martin Yan)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2020 2:19 PM

I wonder how that gay sexual harassment suit turned out against him.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2020 3:28 PM

He had to pay a large settlement if I remember correctly. I was at a bookstore not long after, and all of The Frugal Gourmet cookbooks were in the remainder pile.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2020 3:44 PM

Remember the Galloping Gourmet? He was so queer...in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2020 5:02 PM

My favorite Gourmet was the Galloping one. He was also the Guzzling Gourmet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2020 5:04 PM

I miss the good old days of PBS cooking shows when cooking specific recipes and learning techniques was the norm. Used to live watching the Frugal Gourmet l, Yan Can Cook, and Ciao Italia. PBS still has a few like this, including one on Mexican cuisine and one on Greek. Don’t remember names of eight though.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2020 5:08 PM

Paul Prudhomme had a show, It was the first time I learned of New Orleans cuisine. All I remember is that he was so heavy, he scooted around the kitchen on a bar stool fitted with wheels. He never stood up.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2020 5:10 PM

He died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote]I wonder how that gay sexual harassment suit turned out against him.

In 1997, seven men filed a civil lawsuit against Smith, charging him with sexual abuse. Six alleged that they were molested as teenagers in the 1970s while working at the Chaplain's Pantry in Tacoma; the seventh claimed that he was assaulted in 1992, at age 14, after Smith picked him up as a hitchhiker. The group claimed they had repressed memories, that had only recently surfaced. The incident was at the beginning of the short-lived repressed memory movement, in which people made allegations, usually of sexual molestation, that they had only recently remembered, sometimes with the aid of a therapist. Smith denied the allegations, and no criminal charges were filed, but he and his insurers, against his wishes, settled the cases for an undisclosed amount in 1998, believing a settlement was cheaper than litigation.The litigation ended his television career, though he continued his writing and charitable work.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2020 5:10 PM

Remember when Emeril Lagasse was such a big deal he was given his own sitcom playing himself? It co-starred Robert Urich and also an up-and-coming Sherri Shepherd, who got to say things like, "One thing's for sure: America really does love this man!"

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2020 5:29 PM

Excuse me, but I don’t think Emeril was on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2020 5:41 PM

As I recall, one of those shows had a resident twink.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2020 5:46 PM

Yan Can Cook had a lot of helpful tips, and the dishes always came together really quickly. Last time I checked the episodes weren’t available on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2020 5:48 PM

Anyone who saw Jeff Smith's wife knew he was 'mo.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2020 5:52 PM

Remember Jeff Smith's assistant Chef Craig Wollman?

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2020 6:00 PM

I just googled, R14. I forgot about that guy. He was a cutey.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2020 6:04 PM

l liked Nathalie Dupree's Southern Cooking shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2020 6:04 PM

I liked that Mennonite woman with the quilts.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2020 6:06 PM

She came on right after Nathalie, r17. Marcia Adams?

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote] The group claimed they had repressed memories, that had only recently surfaced. The incident was at the beginning of the short-lived repressed memory movement, in which people made allegations, usually of sexual molestation, that they had only recently remembered, sometimes with the aid of a therapist

#JustRemembered #MeToo

Puleeze.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2020 6:11 PM

Jacques Pépin and Today’s Gourmet was good.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2020 6:12 PM

How about Ming Tsai? Went to Yale, found his calling as a tv chef doing a kind of fusion thing. He was pretty cute, but looks to have porked out a bit over the years (nowhere near Prudhomme territory, fortunately).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2020 6:15 PM

The Older School PBS:

Julia Child, The French Chef

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2020 6:17 PM

r5 Ciao Italia is still in production.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2020 6:18 PM

Jacques Pepin was wonderful, but I couldn't bear to watch the show he shared with his dumb clod American daughter.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2020 6:33 PM

I always liked Nattily Depraved, also that Louisiana cook Justin Wilson, who would drive today's viewers crazy. He would wipe his nose with a hankie in his back pocket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2020 6:46 PM

Justin taught me how to make perfect rice. "Water to the first knuckle over..."

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2020 6:54 PM

I want to like Justin Wilson, but he is simply too long-winded. There's telling an anecdote and then there's completely going off the rails into a story (and not cooking meanwhile).

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2020 6:59 PM

I stopped liking Jeff Smith even before the allegations came out. Reason: too condescending.

Craig looked like Andrew McCarthy of the Brat Pack.

One reason for alleged repressed memories may have been to get around the statute of limitations, which was tolled during the time your memory was repressed (for that jurisdiction at least).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2020 7:04 PM

R21 I really like Ming Tsai. Find him cute even with the extra weight. Smart and interesting

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2020 8:20 PM

The Cajun Chef taught me how to eyeball measure a teaspoon of salt in my hand. I was too young enjoy Julia Child in her TV prime and now her shows are really difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2020 9:33 PM

R29 I loved when he brought his parents on the show. His mum was adorable. I thought he was a Harvard bloke all this time, surprised it's Yale.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2020 9:46 PM

I once witnessed Jeff Smith do something just over the edge of appropriate with a waiter, at an upscale restaurant. I was a huge fan of his until that moment, when I realized he was a creep.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2020 10:06 PM

Does anyone remember a basic cable chef from the 80s who looked a bit like Mike Huckabee? I think his name was David something and his recipes were pretty basic but he tried to sell them as fancier with a florid, Moira Rose-esque vocabulary. My dad and I would watch him just to laugh at his purple prose. He might have been on TNT or USA or even CBN or whatever Pat Robertson’s channel became. Ring a bell?

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2020 5:27 AM

R15 He is in partnership with another businessman in the state of Washington where they operate a distillery. His photos indicate that time has not been kind to him.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2020 5:48 AM

I can’t understand half of Justin Wilson’s video with that Cajun accent. And the amount of salt he uses is staggering! (at the 10:30 mark). He just pours it on from the big container.

I can’t tell what kind of peppers he’s using, either, not that I’m going to make this dish. I got a kick out of the video, thanks r25.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2020 6:30 AM

Oh, y'all need to watch the Great Chefs Of The World. All episodes are free on YouTube. I love the narrator's smooth jazz voice!

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2020 8:41 AM

I checked out one episode of r36's Great Chefs of the World. I had to hear what a "smooth jazz voice" sounded like. It was a woman doing the narration, and she didn't sound like any kind of jazz at all. More "Nun #7" in The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2020 11:54 AM

Can we keep this to PBS? Thx!

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2020 1:55 PM

Here's Julia making Coq au Vin in 1964. You may need to be a PBS subscriber for it to play. The important points: she does not marinate the chicken; she gives "coq" the correct French pronunciation (as opposed to Ina's using the English word for "erect penis").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote]Can we keep this to PBS? Thx!

Then the Swedish Chef counts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2020 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!