Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let Him Go (2020) starred Kevin Costner

What a surprisingly excellent movie! I’m still in awe. One of the best movies in 2020 so far and is. a strong contender for best picture. Just so sad at the end though

I’ll be pissed if Diane Lane or Lesley Manville doesn’t receive a nod. 👏👏👏👏

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2020 8:49 AM

Is it a prequel to "Man of Steel"?

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2020 4:26 AM

Nice to see an openly gay director have some critical and (potential?) commercial success.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2020 4:40 AM

A friend and I saw it last week. Good movie but very somber, violent, and dark. It was the #1 box office attraction for the week.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2020 4:50 AM

Kevin Costner is 65 now and looked every bit of it in the movie. But there were still hints of being handsome and sexiness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2020 4:54 AM

Just watched the trailer, op. Everyone, particularly Lane and Manville, seems to be in top form. I think the trailer gave too much away, but I was definitely unnerved by it.

Will definitely check it out!

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2020 4:55 AM

In the right roles Kevin Costner can be excellent. I've stopped goofing on him because he tries to be entertaining at least.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2020 5:32 AM

Kevin is actually really good in the movie. Old yet so masculine, in shape and still very sexy.

The ending scene moved me to tears and reminded me of the Bodyguard

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2020 2:48 PM

Just saw this. It was fantastic.

It is predictable mostly but it's just so well done and the acting is top-notch.

Diane Lane is one of our best actresses and - Unfaithful nomination aside - she still doesn't get the credit she deserves. And she is simply as beautiful as ever. So nice to see an actress embrace aging. Manville is great, too. A fabulous scenery-chewer. And Jefferey Donovan is also excellent.

I really hope Lane is the dark horse this season come Oscar time.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2020 4:08 AM

R8 Prepare to be be pissed because this B-grade mildly entertaining B flick is not going anywhere near the Oscars and nor should it.

When watching the film I didn't realise it was Lesley Manville until the end credits. The sort of role Diane Ladd could have played 20 years ago with glee.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2020 4:10 AM

We'll see r9.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2020 4:12 AM

Diane Lane doesn’t have the career or acclaim she deserves but she’s worked steadily since she was a teen and done consistently excellent work. How many actors can say that? And Lesley Manville is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2020 4:17 AM

I watch Yellowstone only for Costner. When I was a kid he was in his imperial phase (The Bodyguard, etc) and I lusted after him. Hard. He still is so attractive to me. I shall watch this for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2020 5:08 AM

I was tempted to fork over $19.99 to watch this on Prime, but the average score/rating is between 60-70%, so I held off.

Should I, should I not.

Persuade me, DL!

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2020 5:11 AM

I recommend it, r13. Just for the acting alone. I think the whole cast is great, perfectly cast. Costner and Lane make a terrific couple onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2020 5:15 AM

R14 Without giving anything away - though I’ve already predicted Kevin dies - what stood out about the film most for you?

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2020 5:17 AM

r15 I like that it's a film about adults. It's not a comic book movie. It's not a reboot. It's not a sequel. It's two hours with 50+ year old characters. It's a slow burner. It takes its time to tell the story. I love films that take time because the payoff is always stronger. Beautifully filmed, too.

But mostly the acting stood out. Strong ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2020 5:23 AM

R16 Thanks! Leslie looks like she slays it.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2020 5:24 AM

OP I haven't seen the movie, but I recognized something from the trailer in the twitter link you provided above.

At minute 1:34, the scene outside someone's second floor apartment, isn't that the same location for this scene from 'Brokeback Mountain' (starting at minute 0:30)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2020 5:28 AM

I like Jeffrey Donovan. He's might not have a Hollywood pretty face but something about him that makes me easily wet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2020 5:56 AM

R18 I saw the film today and thought the same. Maybe a gay director's node to Brokeback?

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2020 8:46 AM

Lesley Manville playing a vicious Southern matriarch? Wow, that I got to see.

Thank you for sharing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2020 9:12 AM

I think the film is excellent, certainly made for adults. The casting and acting are outstanding. I was very moved in a scene in which Diane holds her grandson in her arms and starts moving backwards to protect him. Beautiful!!!

However, it’s Lesley’s acting that stole the movie. Excellent to to say the least

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2020 4:20 AM

I do prefer Lesley in Mike Leigh's films and Phantom Thread.

She does have a lot of fun with her role in this but it was all pretty one note.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2020 5:32 AM

But it has a mediocre score on both Rotten tomatoes and Imdb

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2020 5:50 AM

R24 That’s why I’ve hesitated, too. I’ll probably wait until the price drops on Prime. Or I may just cave in this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2020 6:22 AM

Diane is really a gorgeous older woman. There's a scene in a restaurant where Costner and Lane are dining together. She is absolutely radiant. So nice to see an older actress not succumb to plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2020 6:53 AM

Give it three weeks and it'll be a lot less to rent. That's the theatre price and I certainly ain't paying it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2020 7:18 AM

I think it gets mixed ratings from audiences because much of the movie is very tense. Horror movies of course are the same and that’s why some very well-crafted horror has bad audience feedback.

I enjoyed it very much, although I found it a bit uneven in the balance between mature love story and creeping suspense.

The nemesis family are so one dimensional though, prairie baddies out of central casting. IMO villains are much more interesting when they can either engender some sympathy or have a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2020 4:06 AM

Frances McDormand is probably a lock in "Nomadland" (which is getting rave reviews from serious critics), if not the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2020 4:09 AM

The movie is totally worth to watch. I enjoyed every minute of it. Not for young or or those who r not interested in watching violent movies

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2020 4:11 AM

Is this like Taken but with hillbillies?

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2020 4:14 AM

R19 Jeffrey Donovan was also in the current movie The Honest Thief where he plays a completely different type of role than the hillbilly part in Let Him Go. He's a good actor. By the way, he's 52 but looks like he's in his 30's or 40's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2020 4:41 AM

Jeffrey Donovan Does look young but I wouldn’t say in his 30s. He looks 43-45 in the movie with make up on.

The hot one in the film is his younger brother who marries the old couple’s daughter in law

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2020 5:53 AM

R33 I'm not the original poster but he definitely looks 30 ish to me

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2020 5:54 AM

I saw it last week and enjoyed it very much. Lane is pretty spectacular and Costner is very good too.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2020 8:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!