Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dawson's Creek on Netflix

Long before Katie Holmes pulled off a Mission Impossible to escape Tom Cruise or James VDB spent every waking moment trying to impregnate his wife, there was...the Creek.

I haven't watched this show in over 15 years. Anybody else?

Random observations: Wow, they bring up Joey's dead mom A LOT Dawson is generally the worst in every situation and the "triangle" makes no sense because...no. The writers really did Andie dirty. She spent all of season 3 not getting over Pacey and then when the character finally gets a point again, they boot her. In the best possible way, Jack's Gay Teen storyline is incredibly dated. The world has come a long, long way in 20 years. Mitch and Gale should never have gotten back together Eve was SO MUCH WORSE than I remembered Why the hell was Joey's sister in the main cast? She had a baby and then NEVER mattered again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2020 12:35 PM

Formatting is not my friend!

Random observations:

Wow, they bring up Joey's dead mom A LOT

Dawson is generally the worst in every situation and the "triangle" makes no sense because...no.

The writers really did Andie dirty. She spent all of season 3 not getting over Pacey and then when the character finally gets a point again, they boot her.

In the best possible way, Jack's Gay Teen storyline is incredibly dated. The world has come a long, long way in 20 years.

Mitch and Gale should never have gotten back together

Eve was SO MUCH WORSE than I remembered

Why the hell was Joey's sister in the main cast? She had a baby and then NEVER mattered again.

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2020 1:23 AM

For real it's on Netflix, OP ?

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2020 1:24 AM

R2 as of November 1

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2020 1:25 AM

I started rewatching this and made it through half the first season so far. That theme song is wrong! But it does seem that they kept all the nondiegetic music.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2020 1:26 AM

DC is on Hulu not on Netflix

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2020 1:27 AM

R4 it's about 50/50. There's scenes that are definitely changed and others that are the same.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2020 1:27 AM

Here's my take from watching one episode. Katie Holmes and Joshua Jackson are adorable. They should have had bigger careers. James VDB is creepy and unpleasant to watch. He lucked out getting the staring role. I'm baffled by the choice because he's not pretty like the rest of the cast. The writing is poor. Why did they make Pacey practically stalk his teacher in the first episode? I had to discontinue due to that plot line alone.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2020 1:28 AM

R5....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2020 1:28 AM

So funny to see this post made today. Last night a friend and I rewatched the first episode, the last episode and the episode where Dawson cries, the one that became a meme. To be really honest, we started fast forwarding a lot. We were just wallowing in nostalgia.

This show is SO bad! We would've been about 15-16 when it came out and ate it up, though I do remember us thinking it was a little ridiculous at the time, but it's actually really terrible haha. I haven't laughed as hard at anything for ages as I did last night with my friend. Oh, and how many Sarah McLachlan songs were in the damn thing, or perhaps it was just that the late 90s had an overabundance of soft-voiced women wailing about love over piano and acoustic guitar.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2020 1:28 AM

Am I the only one who finds Katie Holmes inexplicably weird and hard to read?

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2020 1:28 AM

^Actually, after watching a few eps last night, I agree with you R10! That's a good way to put it. She pulled some very strange expressions too.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2020 1:30 AM

I love DC, I know it wasn't perfect but in 1998, this show was everything to me

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2020 1:31 AM

The show has the weirdest relationship with recurring characters. For the most part, and with the obvious exception of family, they appear in 1 season and are never mentioned or referenced again.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2020 1:38 AM

I was trying to remember a particularly weird storyline like that last night, but couldn't R13. Wasn't there a mysterious woman called Eve who turned up for like three episodes and flirted with Dawson and she may have been Jen's mother, but then she disappeared and no one ever spoke of her again?

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2020 1:40 AM

It only just debuted on Netflix on Nov 1st yet OP has already rewatched 3+ seasons?

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2020 1:42 AM

Pacey was charming and cute, and the same age as me. We should have dated.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2020 1:43 AM

R14 Eve shows up, speaking in film noir cliches and seems obsessed with taking Dawson's virginity, and after she left town, it's revealed she was looking for her birth mother, aka Jen's mother.

R15 I'm working from home. Ever heard of background noise?

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2020 1:44 AM

It’s tough for me to watch DC on streaming since they didn’t get any rights for the music so the music isn’t the same as the original airing.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2020 1:46 AM

Ahh, thanks R17... so she was meant to be Jen's sister then, got it. I just remember she left and they never mentioned it again and it seemed so weird.

Speaking of not having rights to music, one of the worst cases of that from my teen years, around the same time, is Daria. The music was so much a part of that show, I can still hear it over the scenes. Introduced me to so much good stuff. I know that it's too expensive, but it sure is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] [R15] I'm working from home. Ever heard of background noise?

Why are you watching Dawson’s Creek while on the clock for your job?! Does your boss know? And people were saying Jeffrey Toobin was wrong for doing other things while on the clock.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2020 1:50 AM

r4 nondiegetic? Does insulin treat that?

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2020 1:51 AM

R19 Eve was a case of the writers realizing the story wasn't working and jettisoning her character into the sun. I feel bad for the actress. No one could make that character work.

I agree about Daria but the show itself is so good that to me it doesn't really matter. It was one of my first lockdown rewatch binges.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2020 1:52 AM

R22, yes, I definitely agree with you there... though as I said it's a shame, it is still perfectly watchable with the incidental music that Splendora did for it.

God, I miss shows like Daria. So good!

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2020 1:58 AM

Jen deserved better than dying young after putting up with this gang of misfits.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2020 2:08 AM

According to Tunefind a lot of the music (at least in the part of the first season I’ve watched) is the same.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2020 4:57 AM

She didn’t die young. They fast forwarded a lot of years to show the future in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2020 6:19 AM

5 years isn't a lot R26. She was 25. Only the good die young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2020 8:16 AM

I would rather have hung around with Jen and Abby than any of the other characters on that show.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2020 11:58 AM

I guess the viral marketing of being on Netflix tie in is in full force. This hints at the darkness of Joey and her dad, and I was all like “I don’t remember her being molested?” at first glance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2020 12:04 PM

[Quote] Wow, they bring up Joey's dead mom A LOT

They do and it's annoying. Just one of the many reasons why i can't stand Joey.

[Quote] In the best possible way, Jack's Gay Teen storyline is incredibly dated. The world has come a long, long way in 20 years.

I don't think it's that dated. Watching him not want to mix with other gay guys because he's a jock is pretty familiar for some lol

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2020 12:12 PM

Dawson was so pretentious and full of himself. He thought of himself as the next Coppola but he probably grew up to direct that Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2020 6:07 PM

I'm a gold-star gay, but I think that first shot of Michelle Williams was awesome. You just knew she was headed somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2020 6:32 PM

Why does Michelle have that frau haircut at R27?

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2020 7:23 PM

Is Monica Keena still strung out somewhere with John Connor?

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2020 8:50 PM

A former student of mine played a character named Penelope. She did good performance work in my classes, but I never watched the show. Was her character memorable in any way?

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2020 9:03 PM

R35 I don't know her

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2020 11:30 PM

R33, my memory is really hazy, but I believe that after Dawson and Joey got together at the end of the first season, Jen had a big falling out with them? And cut her hair off and became friends with crazy Abby?

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2020 11:45 PM

Whatever happened to Meredith Monroe?

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2020 11:50 PM

Didn’t she die of a drug overdose?

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2020 11:52 PM

Poor Abby. She would've been a DL Fave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2020 12:21 AM

Undoubtedly she would've been. Even as a kid watching this show I was drawn to her character.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2020 12:24 AM

R34 yes

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2020 1:16 AM

Kerr Smith was a homophobe. One kiss per season is all he allowed. Pacey remains the best person, and character from the show. What a prince

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2020 4:56 AM

I jumped ahead to the finale because the college years are ATROCIOUS. Jen dying still gets me, but they don't have the extended version. BOO!

The finale does have the original theme song though, the only episodes that do.

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2020 6:30 AM

[Quote] Is Monica Keena still strung out somewhere with John Connor?

You know it's bad when you decide to buy a ticket to the DC reunion at Paleyfest (which you weren't invited to).

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2020 6:34 AM

I remember getting so frustrated during the college years because Joey suddenly was being portrayed as the be all and end all of everything... didn't she say to Dawson something like: "I have IT" meaning a special something that she had that no one else did? Something like that, it was weird. Then she got mugged the next episode and when the mugger got injured she went to hospital with him and sang Close to You or something while he died. It was beyond dumb! I liked Audrey for awhile but they even had to fuck her character up.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2020 6:35 AM

Is it true Monica asked to be written off the show because she missed her boyfriend? Biggest mistake of her life.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2020 6:39 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2020 6:58 AM

ABBY: I mean, I can't even speak my mind anymore without stomping on somebody's feelings. I make a cancer joke, and Joey gets upset. Or I make a crazy joke and Andy gets upset. Or, you make a crack about ho-bags and Jen starts humping the couch!

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2020 8:01 AM

A poor man's My so-called life, they even copied the exact same plot line of Dawson finding out a parent is a cheater (can't remember which), even the shot is similar, it's bizarre.

Dialogues are cringy but I concede Jack's storyline was important for visibility and I give it 5 stars to the writers for making Pacey belittle Dawson by calling him Oompa Loompa, that was the true highlight of the series.

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2020 8:45 AM

Is R49 actual dialogue from the show?

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2020 8:48 AM

R51, yep!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2020 8:54 AM

Was Andie crazy? Why would she get upset at that?

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2020 9:01 AM

Meredith Monroe have an insta account. She is not really active. Mary Margaret Humes is also on Instagram and she posted a lot of BTS from Dawson's Creek on it. She's aged really well and she's on good terms with Johny Wesley Shipp (Dawson's dad), as well as James Van Der Beek. From time to time Katie Holmes replies, but Joshua Jackson never really interacted on it.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2020 10:04 PM

To the poster who called Kerr Smith a homophobe, you need to get your facts straight. Kerr has played a gay character at least 3 times (and that’s just to my knowledge). First in 1999 in a movie called HIT AND RUNWAY, then in THE BROKEN HEART’S CLUB (2000) and then again on DAWSON’S CREEK (1998-2003). If he was homophobic he wouldn’t have accepted those roles.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2020 10:21 PM

R29 funny, I don't remember molestation as a plot point in the Joey story, either. Wasn't her Dad in prison for running drugs, or something?

It was always strange to me that Joey had so much entitlement and arrogance, given her background and her informed personality. As the shy poor girl from a negligent home, she would nonetheless strut around, make demands, throw tantrums, dump all over other characters, humble-brag, and make these ludicrous broad-stroke assumptions about herself based on no merit. I actually admired her bravado and gumption, because if Dawson could go under the rainbow and over the bullshit saying he's Spielberg's successor, then why the fuck couldn't everybody else be what they say they are? Maybe she was trolling him and undercutting him the entire time.

Jen was the only person living in Capeside with realistic but also positive views and expectations. Maybe Pacey's hot cop brother, too.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2020 10:58 PM

So, you all hated almost all the cast and the storyline but you all were watching and are even rewatching the show 20 years later ?

LOL! Dlers are crazy weirdos

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2020 12:30 AM

R57 you should see the thread on The Undoing.

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2020 12:33 AM

R55= Kerr Smith

He was definitely a homophobe. Probably still is.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2020 1:06 AM

I remember watching the first episode and hating it so much, I called my best friend in LA (I was in NYC) and told him he HAD to watch it. He hated it, too, and we made fun of it incessantly. After that, I would tape it and save it until it was time for it to start in LA and we'd hate watch it over the phone together. Before we knew it, we were both completely hooked on it.

In our (and its) defense, the first few episodes were really terrible, but they managed to right the ship and it was a pretty decent show for the first three seasons and then in Season 4 they went seriously downhill. I think I stuck it out through Season 4 and then gave up on it. But I definitely tuned in for the two hour finale.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2020 3:52 AM

I forget which season, but the scene where Bianca Lawson and her principal father walk down the hallway while all of the students clapped was ridiculous 😄

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2020 12:24 PM

Looking back from this 2020 perspective, its quaintness is actually refreshing and appealing.

Jen's arrival, where she walks in slo-mo in her teadress over to the trio, is treated with the same shock as if she's an underage stripper on TikTok propositioning them. The 90s mainstream were a brief window of relative wholesomeness and sensitivity when it came to sexual content and the treatment of women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2020 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!