Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Georgian architecture

Why is it so pleasing to the eye?

What are the best examples of Georgian architecture?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2020 1:20 AM

I believe that Georgian is pleasing because it is elegant; (mostly) symmetrical; and, in comparison with what preceded and what came after, fairly restrained. There are also more examples that seem "human-sized" in comparison to the Baroque.

I prefer the American variants, myself.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2020 2:10 AM

I love Georgian architecture! Elegant, sturdy, powerful.

However, to be fair, it encompasses a long span of time and is the foundation of the first 'modern' era of building, which is why we see so much of it.

Victorian is, for the most part, just too excessive. Georgian had it right.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2020 2:11 AM

Yale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2020 2:17 AM

They may be comfortable buildings, but few would call them "pleasing to the eye."

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2020 2:22 AM

Buckingham Palace is Georgian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2020 2:44 AM

I'd hate to have to clean all the windows in r3 and r5. SHEESH.

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2020 2:49 AM

Greek Revival! Yah!

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2020 4:06 AM

Tryon Palace, the Royal governor’s mansion in New Bern, NC is a nice example. I love the colonnades going to the wings. They used it in the Outlander series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2020 4:17 AM

Hello Gergshia!

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2020 4:21 AM

It can't hold a candle to Alabaman architecture.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote] ..... but few would call them "pleasing to the eye."

Seriously? What style of architecture is the most pleasing to your eye?

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2020 5:13 AM

National Opera Theatre, Tbilisi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2020 5:15 AM

I'm not R4 but I'm sure the Georgian style could be applied to a variety of buildings from small cottages to hulking, 20th century, Neo-Georgian city apartment blocks.

I like Georgian because it's restful and the construction makes sense with just a small amount of ornamentation (such as in circular windows or oval-shaped rooms).

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2020 5:32 AM

Neo-Georgian: Lowell House, Harvard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2020 5:35 AM

Georgian interiors are awesome, especially late Georgian as they got more ornate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2020 7:46 AM

Isn't Georgian architecture in America referred to as Federal?

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2020 7:50 AM

It’s sometimes called Greek style too.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2020 9:39 AM

R16, no it’s not. Federal and Georgian are similar but distinct styles. The federal style is more slender and finely-drawn. It often encompasses fan and side lights around the front door, and the interior plan is nearly always based on a central hall. Georgian is heavier, more symmetrical, nearly always featuring a tripartite front facade.

No one ever calls either “Greek style” which I assume refers to Greek Revival.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2020 10:55 AM

Federal is a subset. It was called Federal because US was independent, but it was based on the style of Robert and James Adams and called Adamesque in UK.

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2020 10:56 AM

Gore Place in Waltham MA is a particularly striking example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2020 11:00 AM

R11, I don't know a lot about architecture, but Italian Renaissance, Victorian, Bauhaus, Islamic, and lots of others.

I cannot imagine making a detour on a trip to see a Georgian building. It seems to be the dullest style of architecture.

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2020 11:25 AM

I adore Georgian houses. The only thing I dislike is most all Georgian houses have tiny little front porches - just enough coverage for one person to step out of the rain. Other than that, it's my favorite residential architectural style.

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2020 11:55 AM

Silliman College master's house at Yale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2020 1:50 PM

Timothy Dwight College at Yale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2020 1:52 PM

Trump administration ban on contemporary architecture. The link preview image is from a Tuscaloosa federal building & courthouse built in 2011. Crazy,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2020 1:56 PM

R25 Was there really a ban on contemporary architecture?

I tried to read 3 paragraphs of that link but it sounds so rabid and untrustworthy that I had to give up.

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2020 9:26 PM

R26, the article calls it an "effective ban", meaning that it would be difficult to build anything but Federal buildings, but not really a full ban.

by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2020 11:34 PM

Thank you R27.

I'm not American but I've found American journalism over the last decade to be long-winded and hyperbolic. And, as I say, it has become rabid in the last few years.

I know British architects were incensed about Charles' comments on their 'monstrous carbuncles' but I know modern architects are utterly full of their own vanity.

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2020 11:40 PM

I assume all the examples show so far in this thread are Georgian Revival.

I'm guessing Jefferson's Monticello is original Georgian.

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2020 11:51 PM

My alma mater, Miami University, is Georgian Revival (vast majority of buildings) and I always liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2020 11:58 PM

I like the old London Council building (though Wiki describes it as Edwardian Baroque)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2020 12:04 AM

All American Georgian Revival is based on me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2020 12:27 AM

You must be a young man, R4, R21, in the early bloom of your manhood.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2020 12:51 AM

Monticello is none of the things mentioned above. It is Palladian. The Tyron Palace I posted isn’t neo-anything, it was built in the era and is pure Georgian.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2020 1:13 AM

Wiki says Monticello is 1772. Wiki says Tyron Palace is 1770-1775.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2020 1:17 AM

it's simplistic and symmetrical

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2020 1:17 AM

Jefferson hated Georgian architecture. He based his composition on Roman models.

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2020 1:21 AM

R35, he was notorious for constantly remodeling Monticello, and it was one of the many reasons he died deeply in debt. It was still being altered when he eventually died.

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote]Federal is a subset. It was called Federal because US was independent, but it was based on the style of Robert and James Adams and called Adamesque in UK.

It's Adam, not Adams, r19

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2020 1:27 AM

R34 Most architectural historians would contend that a central building (such as Tyron Palace) with two pavilions at the sides joined with arcades is Palladian.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2020 1:35 AM

I’m not sure how to add a photo to a thread here, but Pollok House in Glasgow is my favourite Georgian building, I think. Large enough to be “grand”, but small enough to live in comfortably.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2020 1:43 AM

R40, that’s not true.

[quote] The basic Georgian proportion was typically geometrical, with the main block of the building frequently augmented by hyphens and wings. The axial symmetry of the Georgian style will always be a safe design approach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2020 1:47 AM

R41 It's hard to find a flattering picture of Pollok House. They mostly show grey stone against a grey sky.

Most of the American Palladian houses have the lovely warm brick colour from Monticello.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2020 2:16 AM

Thanks for posting the picture r43.

I like the silvery grey colour of the house. I think it suits the austere nature of Georgian architecture somehow, and it really does stand out against the green parkland surrounding it.

For another interesting example of Georgian architecture, have a look at Culzean Castle, largely the work of Robert Adam. It is more ornate than most Georgian buildings on the outside, a vaguely ridiculous cliff-top sandcastle of a building but has the typical symmetry, and the interiors are typical Georgian grandeur. It’s a wonderful place to visit.

Lucky President Eisenhower was given an apartment in it as a thanks for his leadership in WWII.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2020 2:35 AM

Wow, R44, Culzean looks too dramatic. Everyone here says Georgian is restful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2020 2:41 AM

R43, American red brick is one of the architectural glories of the nation. I was surprised to see the dark red color most Americans associate with brick seemed uncommon in Europe overall.

Bostonian brick is an extraordinarily beautiful shade, particularly in Beacon Hill.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2020 2:43 AM

Actually Chicago's brown brick is hideous. The city would be so much nicer with a coating of the local bright yellow limestone. But then New York is covered with ugly purple sandstone from Duluth, so there you go.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2020 4:28 AM

Monticello? Puh-leeze

Massachusetts Hall, Harvard (1718)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2020 4:52 AM

So is Massachusetts Hall the first American Georgian building?

It would be synonymous with the first George —

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2020 5:06 AM

I don’t know whether it was the first, but it was clearly not inspired by Monticello.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2020 5:12 AM

Bacon's castle is the oldest brick building left. Had some elements of Georgian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2020 5:17 AM

Can someone explain why the White House is considered neoclassical? Remember, the columns were a late addition after the British burnt it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2020 5:31 AM

The oldest complete Georgian was the Palace of Governors of Wburg, although its georgianness has probably been enhanced by reconstruction, as were the Capitol and Wren Hall, which was NOT originally Georgian and which has burned so many times nobody really knows if there is anything original in it (yes, I'm a Mass Hall partisan!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2020 5:32 AM

[quote] the austere nature of Georgian architecture

I never thought of Georgian as austere, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way in most cases. I always found it very human-scaled and friendly-looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2020 1:32 PM

I have always found Monticello to be overrated, and actually pretty awful. It looks like a ranch home with a relatively oversized dome and portico stuck on to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2020 1:35 PM

R52

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2020 1:54 PM

Federal style example, but I always liked homes with this kind of front door, with the semi-circular entablature over the door, but no fan window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 11, 2020 2:01 PM

Growing up outside DC, I always wanted a tract home like this. Stanley Martin was a builder in the area that did a lot of these.

What's that three-part window over the tiny portico called? On the second floor.

We had a contemporary house, very unpopular at the time in that area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 11, 2020 2:04 PM

Jackie O.'s (and Gore Vidal's?) home in Virginia, Merrywood. Now the centerpiece of a very expensive subdivison overlooking the Potomac.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 11, 2020 2:07 PM

Lots of stuff about the period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 11, 2020 2:11 PM

R54, you are right, of course. It can be very friendly looking (Iwould love to live in a Georgian property), but the symmetry always makes it seem very precise and clinical to me. Maybe that’s what I meant of as austere.

On a larger scale, the Georgian hearts of towns like Edinburgh or Bath which I am most familiar with lack intimacy. They are all for show, almost monumental in scale.

That was what I thought all Georgian architecture was like, until I visited Philadelphia a few years ago. The old part of town has many beautiful Georgian buildings on much more human scale, such as Carpenter’s Hall. It’s a thrilling place to visit, although whoever granted planning consent for the two hideous skyscrapers which loom over Independence Hall should be shot!

by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2020 2:14 PM

Palladian window.

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2020 1:19 AM

Wren Hall has also moved around on the site.

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2020 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!