Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paris Train Attack Hero Alek Skarlatos Loses Oregon Congressional Race

Alek Skarlatos, one of the three Americans who helped stop a terror attack on a Paris-bound train in 2015, said losing his congressional race on Tuesday was "incredibly heartbreaking."

The former Oregon National Guardsman-turned-Republican candidate mounted a serious challenge in the state's 4th Congressional District, which has been held by Democratic Rep. Peter DeFazio since 1987.

"I'm incredibly humbled for having the opportunity to run for office and bring attention to the needs of the citizens of this district," Skarlatos, 27, tweeted early Wednesday. "Once again, thank you to everyone who supported me along the way and congratulations to Peter DeFazio on his win tonight."

His concession followed a campaign that attracted national notice.

Skarlatos, who aligned himself as an outsider who stood by President Donald Trump's conservative policies, told PEOPLE in September that he saw politics as "a way of trying to fight for what I believe in" and way to "fight for the place where I’m from and hopefully trying to better people’s situations.”

Skarlatos had attacked his opponent for being a "career politician." In turn, DeFazio dismissed the young politician as "extreme."

Skarlatos wrote Wednesday that his congressional run was "the most rewarding experience of my life."

"While it is incredibly heartbreaking to see the results tonight, I am so proud of the work that my team has done, and I am very thankful for the time and sacrifice they have given over the past 18 months," he tweeted.

After receiving global praise for his role in stopping the 2015 train attack, Skarlatos went on to compete on Dancing With the Stars in 2015, finishing third, and more recently starred as himself in the in the Clint Eastwood film The 15:17 to Paris.

He also received a Soldier’s Medal from President Barack Obama for his part in stopping the terrorist attack.

The Oregon native previously lost a local election in 2018 to become Douglas County commissioner before he said Oregon state Sen. Dallas Heard had convinced him to run for the House of Representatives this year.

Skarlatos told PEOPLE his rising public profile after the 2015 attack had helped solidify his desire to get into politics.

"With everything that’s happened in my life, I feel like I really just kind of had an opportunity that a lot of people don’t get in their lives," he said, "and I don’t necessarily want to waste it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2020 5:03 AM

It’s great that he subdued a crazed godbotherer and probably saved people's lives, but imho that doesn’t qualify him to be a lawmaker, particularly if he aligns himself with a vile demagogue.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2020 5:47 AM

You lost me at Republican...

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2020 5:54 AM

[quote] Skarlatos had attacked his opponent for being a "career politician."

Does anyone see the irony of ironies that he was trying to become a career politician himself, except that he was a failure

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2020 6:04 AM

The only thing this guy deserves to win is a retroactive Razzie for his laughable turn in "The 15:17 to Paris".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2020 6:12 AM

Clueless Trumptard. .

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2020 6:13 AM

Good. Glad he lost. If only that 25-year-old Hitler enthusiast on the other coast had met a similar fate.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2020 6:28 AM

We need no more celebrity candidates who have not worked up through the ranks of public service.

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2020 7:22 AM

[quote]said losing his congressional race on Tuesday was "incredibly heartbreaking."

Not only it was heartbreaking, it was also stupendously baffling.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2020 8:07 AM

Pity that he's now a Trumptard.

He's cute, and I used to like him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2020 8:46 AM

All I see this as is another win in the D column in the House so....yay!

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2020 9:04 AM

So, now he needs to make money? Chaturbate and OnlyFans, especially with his two other hero friends, would be a good and lucrative route.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2020 9:15 AM

The guy in the OP picture is 27?!! Rough.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2020 10:01 AM

R12, Bad lighting.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2020 10:33 AM

He seemed very sweet on Dancing with the Stars.

I was actually rooting for him.

How in the hell did he become such a Deplorable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2020 2:06 PM

I honestly thought that Alek and Lindsay were going to win DWTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2020 2:33 PM

I'll make you feel better after the tough loss, Alek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2020 5:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!