Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wall to wall carpeting is foul

I have been house hunting for the past three months and I would say 80% of the homes I have looked at have at least one room, if not the entire house fully carpeted, wall to wall. How do people live in such filth? Event if it's properly maintained and vacuumed regularly it still full of dirt, bacteria, odors and stains. It literally makes me want to drive heave.

Do you live within wall to wall carpeting? Do you have ongoing health issues? Do you walk around barefoot? OMG I can't.

by Anonymousreply 88November 7, 2020 11:29 AM

It’s gross and looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2020 11:37 PM

I disagree. It’s noise deadening, comfortable, and insulating. The right carpet can look great.

“Gross” and “foul”. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2020 11:42 PM

I disagree. It’s noise deadening, comfortable, and insulating. The right carpet can look great.

“Gross” and “foul”. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2020 11:42 PM

OP you are quite the drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2020 11:44 PM

Sorry R2 it IS gross. And ugly. I love the look of wood floors.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2020 11:45 PM

I love me some orange shag.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2020 11:46 PM

I don't understand the reasoning behind flooring material that is guaranteed to need to be replaced. One of the many reasons I hate wall-to-wall carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2020 11:49 PM

I have carpet in the bedrooms. They are crisp, clean and comfortable. I have no pets, I never eat in the bedroom and no one is allowed upstairs with shoes. Downstairs is all hardwood with lovely area rugs.

You sound dirty, OP

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2020 11:50 PM

I like it in the bedroom and on the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2020 11:50 PM

In my area it's typical to have hardwood in all the common areas, tile in bathrooms and carpet in bedrooms and finished basements. It's warmer.

It's not gross if you keep it to little used areas, vac regularly, steam clean twice a year and replace it every 5-7 years or so, as you should.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2020 11:52 PM

It's divoon in the bath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2020 11:54 PM

Carpet is not ideal for people with allergies. Wooden flooring is easier to clean and keep clean than carpets. I don't care how often you clean your carpets, it's still a dust trap and not as clean as wooden floor.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2020 11:56 PM

Cats love to piss on carpet. So do drunks.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2020 11:58 PM

My dog wants wall-to-wall because his lil tippy-toes are too delicate to walk on wood.

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2020 12:02 AM

I'm allergic to carpet fibers and all the dust that get trapped in it. It is unsanitary and impractical

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2020 12:03 AM

R14, Canine Mary!

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2020 12:06 AM

I think that my take on wall to wall carpet changed after buying my first few homes (that either had hardwood floors or I installed them). Wood flooring is gorgeous but must be cleaned often with the dust (and pollen, etc.) that accumulates quickly. This is not a complaint, but just reality. When you realize just how much filth is also accumulating on carpet where you often can't visualize it as easily - it does make you wonder. I prefer the look of wood with nice high quality wool rugs for most rooms. While carpeting can be comfortable for bedrooms - I absolutely vacuum and have the carpet steam cleaned far more often now than I used to before living with wood floors.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2020 12:08 AM

OP I agree; prefer my guy to keep it tidy down there.

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2020 12:14 AM

After working in Japan for many years, I now have hardwood floors in every room. No rugs. I like the look and the feel since I seldom wear shoes indoors. I also eliminated drapery.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote] It literally makes me want to drive heave.

Can you take a bus there instead?

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2020 12:24 AM

I'm thinking OP was looking at houses that took advantage of those "Four Rooms for $499!" specials you see on billboards.

There are many types of wall to wall OP and not all of them are polyester.

I don't have it in my house, but I've seen it, even in living rooms and it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2020 12:26 AM

R19! Me too! No drapes. Much cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2020 12:33 AM

OP, Miss Ghurl you need to clam the fuck down. Wall to wall carpeting has been popular if not standard in American homes for decades, at least since post WWII. For multi family housing one may not have a choice as some leases specifically require a certain percentage of flooring be covered in aid of noise reduction.

Not every home is fitted out with beautiful parquet wood floors. This and or not every housewife/home owner welcomes the maintenance that comes with wood or other types of flooring (mopping, waxing, polishing.....). As the vacuum cleaner came into its own case for wall to wall carpeting became easier.

As mentioned carpeting does provide some insulation from cold floors, so there is that as well.

Carpeting is only as "filthy" as people allow it to become... Routine and proper vacuuming (with a good to excellent vacuum cleaner), along with periodic deep cleaning (such as with steam) , will keep things quite clean.

Choice comes down to lifestyle and habits. If you're someone with one or more cats or dogs, constantly dropping food/beverages on floors, just aren't into daily vacuuming and so forth, then carpeting might not be best option for *YOU*

by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2020 12:55 AM

Lesbians live walk to walk carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2020 12:57 AM

Are you drunk, r24?

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2020 12:59 AM

Daily vacuuming?!

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2020 1:03 AM

Sorry predictive swipe texting errors.

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2020 1:05 AM

My carpet was 15 years old and still looked great when I had it pulled up and had hardwood installed. Oh black day that was ! I hate wood flooring. When they took out my carpet the installer commented on how clean my under floors were . Very little dust or dirt. Since installing that hated hardwood,Im fighting a dust problem constantly. Ive pretty much got most of it covered with throw rugs but it still is a pain in the ass. As soon as I get good and sick of this flooring you bet your ass im going back to a lovely wall to wall . I vacuumed 2 -3 times a week and didnt allow shoes indoors.

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2020 1:06 AM

Unfortunately wood floors always look dusty. I’d like linoleum.

by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2020 1:10 AM

i love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2020 1:15 AM

R26

Yes, at least of high traffic areas, and or if one has serious pet hair problems or children. This is where having a good "stick" type vacuum comes in handy so saving need to haul out the big guns.

It's like anything else, longer you leave things only creates a bigger problem later.

There are reasons why many middle class and other housewives confined their children (and virtually everyone else except company) to kitchens, play areas or any other place but main (carpeted) living, dining and a few other rooms.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2020 1:18 AM

Generally I would agree with you OP, but if you get quality carpet and take the time to keep it clean it can be okay. The carpeting in my basement is luxurious. I bought a bit of a fixer upper with damaged hardwood floors and have not yet got to renovating them; they are quite gross and dated, and pet hair quickly tuns into tumbleweeds if you don’t clean it immediately. Any style of flooring can be terrible if it’s not well maintained.

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2020 1:25 AM

Why is wall to wall carpet terrible but you put area rugs down over wood floors? Ya still have carpet on your floor.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2020 1:26 AM

IT'S DELISH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2020 1:32 AM

Friends bought one of those huge old Victorian homes and promptly began a restoration campaign. One of first things to go was wall to wall carpeting, and the lovely old parquet wood floors refinished and restored. Love affair lasted barely several years......

One guy is wee more ACD than his partner and is constantly bringing out the Swiffer or dust mop. That and or he moans about how floors are "dusty" and don't have that just polished shine. Other partner complains he has far too many other things on his plate to spend endless hours with a stick vac, Swiffer, or dust mop....

They haven't had time (and or maybe money) to get that drafty old barn of a place fitted out with insulation, so those wood floors are cold and as consequence home is chilly in winter unless heat is cranked up. People tried to explain to them that when home was built ventilation was a big thing and as such the house leaks air like a sieve. They got an energy audit and one of first things on recommendation list was to install carpeting....

They've returned to the old way; putting down rugs all over the place, but the moaning about upkeep of floors goes on, and now comes the added bother of all those rugs. We joke one day one of those men is going to end up rolled up in one of those rugs buried somewhere on the property..

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2020 1:34 AM

I need hardwood floors for my arrrrea rrrrug addiction, but I’m too poor.

I’d love to try cork some day. It’s beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2020 1:40 AM

I imagine OP is very old since he calls it "wall to wall" carpeting. Anyone younger than 70 just says "carpeting ."

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2020 2:23 AM

I can't breath!

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2020 2:32 AM

I would never enter a house, ass or vagina with "floor to floor" carpeting

some faggots have standards

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2020 2:49 AM

I was happy to have it all removed, and the hardwood floors restored, when I had my house remodeled. But there are still times I think I'd like to have my bedroom carpeted. It's not gross as long as you're not gross.

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2020 2:53 AM

I grew up in a subdivision of modest size ranches and split levels, all of which had wall to wall carpet and popcorn ceilings. Ghastly as these room features were, they kept the noise to a minimum. Nowadays the carpets have been ripped out and replaced with hardwood (or laminate, ugh), the popcorn has been scraped off the ceilings (mind the asbestos!), and walls have been torn down to make great rooms, which are anything but. The result is an intolerable level of noise at all hours.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2020 3:10 AM

This thread brought out weirdos...btw I’ve met people that regretted removing wall to wall for hardwood maple..showed dirt n dust bunny’s a lot.

by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2020 3:14 AM

Oh yeah?

Well, guess what,?

I was just about drop in, & grant you 3 wishes.

No worries. On to fringe communities, where my philanthropy is truly appreciated.

I can rub my own lamp, ingrate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2020 3:16 AM

Does OP drive a car with no carpets? I'd love to see that getup, yet a car people don't remove their shoes to ride in.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2020 3:28 AM

I had the carpet removed from my car and replaced with terrazzo.

by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2020 3:36 AM

OP has seen too many HGTV shows and just mimics what he sees on TV.

No, it's not necessarily foul. How often do you clean your area rugs? I'll guarantee you that you clean them maybe 2x a year - whereas vacuuming will get up most dirt.

People act like their hard surface floors are pristine - they are not. Those grooves in flooring or in tile are full of germs and bacteria.

Take your shoes off when you enter the door - then you'll be fine no matter what the floor type is.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2020 3:40 AM

You want to know what foul is? It's when your two roommates find rolls of filthy old carpeting ripped up from a rundown Vegas motel, and tack it over the linoleum of your hellhole downtown apartment. They said it made it more comfortable. It was chartreuse. Just looking at it made me itch.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2020 3:48 AM

That was the same year I discovered cocaine and my folks installed off-white berber carpet in the bedrooms, r47. I ate so much fuzz one month....

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2020 3:51 AM

I think OP needs a vacation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2020 3:51 AM

Walla Walla Carpeting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2020 4:23 AM

Many people think their wood or whatever bare floors are clean. But if you shine a light at them from certain angles you clearly will see a layer of dust.

If floors aren't gone over with a dust mop, Swiffer or some other means of lifting dust/dirt like furniture it lays down layers rather quickly. If you have open windows with no drapes even more dust, soot, and god only knows what particulate matter wafts in and falls on furniture, floors, walls....

Tying in a few DL fav subjects with a tidbit.....

Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg married Alfonso XIII of Spain. The new queen at once was subjected to the stultifying Spanish royal court including in particular ladies in waiting. Determined to make the best of things (and not suffer fate of other Spanish queen consorts who let their ladies get the best of them), Princess Victoria did her best to get on.

One Princess Eugenie noticed housekeeping wasn't what it ought to have been, a bit of dust spied upon furniture. HM told her ladies that when her grandmother (Queen Victoria) found dust on furniture she wrote out her initials (QV) and royal mark in the dust as a warning to staff that they should pull up their socks. The Spanish ladies in waiting simply replied "A Spanish queen would never notice dust....", and that was that....

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2020 5:23 AM

R19/R22 do you just use blinds, then?

I am searching high and low for effective blackout blinds that aren’t hideous for my bedroom. I have inherited flimsy Roman blinds that do nothing covered by thin gauzy curtain that does even less and only collects dust. Please advise!

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2020 9:00 AM

^^^I should add that my bedroom is east-facing, irksomely, so I get dazzled by sunlight at six in the morning and I have to get off to sleep with bright moonlight at midnight.

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2020 9:01 AM

Carpet is gross.

Wood floors with tasteful Persian rugs are much better.

However, if you have young children, wall to wall carpeting is better. They like to run around in their little bare feet

by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2020 9:05 AM

Is this ceiling cork?

Why, is it dripping on you?

by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2020 1:39 PM

I vacationed in a house with cement floors and it was awesome - I'd love to live in a house with cement floors

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2020 1:46 PM

I don't get the joke, R55.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2020 1:50 PM

Seems like it would be awful cold in the winter, r56.

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2020 1:51 PM

Joan Crawford hated carpeting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2020 1:54 PM

R54, young children spill and have all kinds of messy accidents. My SIL did have some kind of tile carpet, so individual sections could be removed and replaced as needed. She used up every spare tile.

I despise wall-to-wall.

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2020 1:57 PM

Cement floors are bad for your joints, especially your ankles and knees. Also, if you drop anything on them that’s not rubber or plastic it will shatter.

by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2020 2:22 PM

You clearly have never bought a glass tumbler from the dollar store. Those things could fall from a plane and not break.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2020 2:24 PM

R57 It’s a scene from King of Comedy with De Niro and Jerry Lewis. You should watch it - it’s great.

I was just responding to the person who wanted a cork floor.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2020 2:50 PM

Those off white carpets in the 80s literally brought people down to their hands & knees & before anyone knew it, the residential rehab business was suddenly BOOMING!!!! More rehabs in Cali than the lost chunks of Peruvian flake, deeply nestled between those fucking white carpet fibers.

by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2020 3:17 PM

Gotta agree, OP. Have experienced both and would never go back to carpet.

by Anonymousreply 65November 6, 2020 3:29 PM

R63, there’s a relaxed knotty-pine vibe I get from painted cork floors and waxed linoleum counters.

by Anonymousreply 66November 6, 2020 3:41 PM

When we moved from an apartment with wall-to-wall carpeting to one with hardwood floors practically around the corner, we couldn't believe how much dirt we picked up just walking barefoot on the floors. In the wall-to-wall apartment, all of that was absorbed by the carpeting.

It IS gross.

by Anonymousreply 67November 6, 2020 6:54 PM

Here in Flyoverland, most houses built prior to and after WWII had hardwood floors in living and sleeping areas.

Circa 1965, with costs rising, builders switched to wall to wall carpeting since it was so much cheaper than the labor to install hardwood. And has remained that way ever since. Throw down some cheap plywood, add padding and carpet and you have the flooring in most of todays houses. Even in McMansions, unless you go for upgraded flooring and hardwood options (at extra cost), you'll get cheap carpeting and padding over a layer of plywood (maybe even particle board).

by Anonymousreply 68November 6, 2020 7:21 PM

It can add beauty to an already tasteful room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 6, 2020 8:28 PM

You think area rugs are any cleaner?

by Anonymousreply 70November 6, 2020 8:30 PM

R28, your house didn't suddenly get dusty when you got rid of the carpeting and laid hardwood floors. It was always dusty - you just didn't see it. And that's why carpeting is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 71November 6, 2020 8:57 PM

R70, you clean area rugs and do lots of neat things with them to ensure even wear and light exposure. It’s the satanic toilet seat cover we need to discuss. You need to throw it away. Now. Thanks. Mwaw.

by Anonymousreply 72November 6, 2020 10:21 PM

You can clean carpet, too.

by Anonymousreply 73November 6, 2020 10:24 PM

Its comfy but ultimately gross. I go on vacation every May and have it replaced in my bedroom suite and guest suites. Everything else hard wood or tile.

by Anonymousreply 74November 6, 2020 10:30 PM

I'll never forget when my partner and I bought our first house - it was a very cute brick cape from 1936, original real mullioned windows, slate roof, hardwood floors throughout. My partner's parents came to see it and as they were looking around they asked when we were going to have it carpeted. I thought they were joking - the floors has just been refinished and were beautiful. Fortunately my partner isn't very interested in stuff like that and I make all the decisions.

by Anonymousreply 75November 6, 2020 10:47 PM

For some reason wall to wall seems so low class.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2020 12:32 AM

No, it isn't foul! It's warm and comforting and if you get a vacuum cleaner, it stays dust free. Also, take your shoes off when inside and it will not get dirty. Even hard wood floors collect dust; and hardwood floors have to be vacuumed once a week as well as carpeted floors. What's the big deal? Wall-to-wall is now made non-allergenic for you queens who sneeze, and it is wonderful for cutting down on noise transmission in the apartment below yours.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2020 12:46 AM

Some posting on this thread seem woefully ignorant that rugs can be cleaned, and far easier than carpeting. There have been such services going back to early part of last century.

In many homes rugs also might have been taken up as part of spring cleaning, cleaned themselves then stored until fall when brought out again. This more so when rugs were used to keep floors (and thus homes) warm and not just for decoration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2020 1:16 AM

R77

" hardwood floors have to be vacuumed once a week"

Such slovenly housekeeping .

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2020 1:24 AM

Hardwood floors and seagrass or sisal rugs are my standard

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2020 1:25 AM

Sisal is gross and highly overrated . Talk about a filth magnet .

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2020 2:08 AM

I think Dominick Dunne featured a first wife making do with sisal and people threw rocks at her.

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2020 4:37 AM

WTW holds disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2020 4:40 AM

I agree with R81 - wool, silk, a combination of the two, etc. is far easier to clean than sisal, jute or seagrass. The last three hold up relatively well but are almost impossible to clean properly. While I like to look of sisal in many instances, they also are not very comfortable underfoot. While not exactly cheap, I send off my wool rugs to be professionally cleaned once a year (usually after the holidays are over - winter/spring cleaning). You can steam clean all that you want (which I don't recommend for really expensive, hand-knotted wool rugs due to the chance of damage) - but it isn't the same. Also, rugs must be exposed to air on both sides to dry properly and not mold/mildew underneath - ruining both your rug and the floors beneath it as well. I vacuum regularly and spot clean if necessary with club soda between yearly professional cleaning. When you spot clean with any liquid you really should lift the rug up by setting something large (an upside down mixing bowl for instance) on the floor under the wet area to allow air flow and drying to occur for a day or two. It saves both your rug and your wood floors. This leads to most people's issues with "wall to wall" carpet - you don't know what is happening underneath. Steam cleaning allows a ton of moisture to soak through the carpet into the pad and fester into mold and mildew and any other number of nasty critters that love dark, damp, hidden environments. I don't dislike carpet (when used in SOME rooms), but I don't trust it either. You should at the very least replace the carpet and pad every few years (in that case, why bother?). If you already have hardwood - I can't imagine going the "wall to wall" carpet route.

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2020 5:40 AM

Isn't it one of many shitty things America have been trying to foist upon the world, like dong mutilation and fake tan and roided-out bodies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 7, 2020 5:50 AM

All these ancient gays with their wtw carpets saying they get them cleaned regularly are lying. And if you do get them cleaned it's only the surface, all the mold and mildew is still there down deep. If you see dust on a hard surface the fucking clean it up, don't be a filthy whore. These wtw carpet queens probably have roaches all over too.

by Anonymousreply 86November 7, 2020 7:07 AM

Such a fuckin' first world problem. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 87November 7, 2020 7:09 AM

[quote] Talk about a filth magnet .

I know vat ju mean.

by Anonymousreply 88November 7, 2020 11:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!