Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which grand hotel closure will break your heart?

My cherished Hôtel le Richemond in Geneva has bit the dust. New York's Plaza Athénée. Which hotel would you hate to lose?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2020 5:45 AM

[quote]My cherished Hôtel le Richemond in Geneva has bit the dust.

Due to Corona? I've stayed there. Why do you cherish it?

Breaker's Palm Beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2020 12:48 AM

More or less due to Corona. Le Richemond was one of my first extended takes on luxury hotels in my youth, along with Hôtel Ritz Paris. Both were a bit frayed but very elegant, this before the 90s saw everything snapped up by gulf money and redone for hundreds of millions or more, in very high but less personal international luxury. I always have had cocktails on the terrace at Le Richemond, its boring old Swiss money personified, with the Art Deco flour de lys and red geraniums, and I became friends with the owner, a very old Geneva hospitality family, and an eldergay gentleman with an enormous cock, and a stable of young lovers, which he asked me to join though I refused. He's long gone, the hotel sold out of the family and through a number of holding companies.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2020 12:59 AM

The grand hotels of Switzerland are in a class of their own... they are so special. I was lucky to summer in Switzerland many summers in the late 80's as a teen. Mostly in and around Geneva and the surrounding lake towns... Just amazing, old world, elegant and yet very genuine and real. I haven't been back but I am dying to go again.

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2020 1:04 AM

Le Richemond is small raclette potatoes compared to giants like the Breakers or Hotel Ritz. But Florida is open for business, is it not? The super rich annual visitors have fled Geneva and won't be back soon.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2020 1:04 AM

Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge, Westbury, Long Island

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2020 1:05 AM

Well, many are on life support. Beau Rivage Lausanne, Montreux Palace, the Lucerne palaces.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2020 1:07 AM

The motel eight on route six. So many memories. (Or maybe it's the motel six on route 8--not sure)

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2020 1:14 AM

I have fond memories of motels, too! High and low, here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2020 1:16 AM

Becks Motor Lodge Market St. SF

No, actually, as garish as it is, The Fairmont in San Francisco. Love that hotel.

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2020 1:20 AM

The Bellagio , of course .

by Anonymousreply 10November 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Grandhotel "Poop" in Karslbad (birthplace of DL icon Princess Michael of Kent!) has also been shut down until further notice. It's depressing to think that its glittering salons and halls are all empty as we speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 1, 2020 1:26 AM

A charming small place of abandon on Toulouse , French Quarter , New Orleans .

by Anonymousreply 12November 1, 2020 1:28 AM

The Savoy, London. Grand tradition, wholly welcoming and the name is music on your tongue.

by Anonymousreply 13November 1, 2020 1:32 AM

The Drury Inn & Suites in Grove City, Ohio. Such elegance! They have a popcorn machine in the lobby.

by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2020 1:38 AM

Hotel California

by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2020 2:48 AM

Hotel Carter in NYC. Pure elegance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2020 2:50 AM

They are hotels. Does anyone really care that much?

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2020 2:56 AM

The Metropolitan

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2020 3:42 AM

The Richemond will re-open next spring as soon as the Saudi & Emirati families start flying West for summer. Or a family will just buy it outright for their own use for 3 months in Geneve when its boiling in the Gulf...... Oh & for the month of the Auto Salon for private shopping & for random Christies auctions held next door & the Beau Rivage......... Love Geneve!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2020 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!