Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marjorie Main fans unite

Let’s discuss the talent of Marjorie Main aka Ma Kettle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2020 11:50 AM

Pa! Get your ass in here and eat your supper!

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2020 8:59 PM

Was she a lesbyterian?

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2020 9:22 PM

Yes she enjoyed nice fresh tender loving beaver.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2020 11:46 PM

America's favorite grandma Spring Byington was her longtime girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2020 11:51 PM

She was surprisingly good in a serious role in A Woman’s Face (we all knew she was expert at comedy). Weren’t she and Spring Byington rumored to be a couple?

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2020 11:51 PM

Didn’t u love Ma Kettle, r5?

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2020 11:55 PM

If you look up bulldugger in a dictionary, you see her picture.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2020 11:55 PM

When I was a kid in the 1960s, she'd appear at the Christmas Lane Parade in Huntington Park, CA, one of the larger parades in L.A. I recall her riding in some gorgeous 1930s convertible roadsters, always wearing a large hat. It was a treat to see a real "star," and she was chief among the lesser-known celebs who'd tread to our blue-collar enclave every year.

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2020 12:26 AM

Marjorie was reportedly "eccentric" (i.e. batshit crazy) on the set

Now she wasn't "Kate Jackson crazy" - she would show up and know her lines

But she reportedly had frequent conversations with her dead husband and had many OCD phobias that caused lot of other actors give her a wide-berth off camera

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2020 2:06 AM

They had a "munch brunch" together every Saturday morning at Marjorie's with other celesbians like Hattie McDaniel and Barbara Stanwyck!

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2020 2:11 AM

My favorite old Hollywood bulldyke!

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2020 2:12 AM

R6. Oh, sure, but she did so much comedy and did it wellA, that it was hoodvtovseevherbinbavdrsmatic tole.

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2020 2:24 AM

R12. Sorry, my iPhone just had a seizure.

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2020 2:25 AM

She looks so mischievous in the OP pic, no wonder Spring was entranced.

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2020 2:29 AM

God, when I look at their pictures and know how brutal it was to be closeted, I get choked up.

by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2020 2:31 AM

Ma Kettle?

Please.

Lucy in "The Women"!

[quote]Them big, strong, red-headed men... they're fierce!

Except we know that Spring Byington was Mrs. Marjorie Main.

by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2020 2:35 AM

Saw an interview with her, in which she described her audition for the Broadway “Dead End,” for the role of the downtrodden mother of the gangster. Her husband had recently died, and she was grief stricken. She hadn’t wanted to audition, but she forced herself. She ended up getting the role, which she played for 2 years, because she’d been so believable.

by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2020 2:36 AM

R9 You are right . She was crazy and often talked to her dead husband before acting. She is in my favorite film - " Meet Me In St. Louis"- " Cabbage has a cabbage smell" -" I wouldn't accept a propoasl over an invention"- " All men like it sweet, Mrs. Smith"! Don't know if she was gay. But on the DL all ugly actresses are always lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2020 2:36 AM

I used to get her mixed up with Marie Dressler.

by Anonymousreply 19October 30, 2020 3:12 AM

r18, it's not a secret that she was gay

by Anonymousreply 20October 30, 2020 3:36 AM

Did she come out in the Hadleigh interview?

by Anonymousreply 21October 30, 2020 6:04 AM

Those Hadleigh interviews are....unlikely.

Yes, heavily closeted Hollywood gays and lesbians of the Golden Age are just going to open up to some fucking stranger to chat about their "secret" lives.

Uh, huh.

Poor ole Marjorie Main....very talented actress...a bit off her hinges...a very devout Christian....forever tagged as a lesbian because of vague rumors and not really much in the way of factual evidence.

by Anonymousreply 22October 30, 2020 6:22 AM

I do wonder about Hadleigh. Why doesn't he release the tapes of all these interviews for monetary gain?

by Anonymousreply 23October 30, 2020 6:40 AM

She is the quintessential Hoosier woman.

by Anonymousreply 24October 30, 2020 6:47 AM

She has a small but great comic role as a landlady, Mrs. Dolley, in "Another Thin Man" with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 30, 2020 6:49 AM

Her "singing" in The Harvey Girls is hilarious. She doesn't even try, just speaks the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 26October 30, 2020 9:16 AM

The meddling trailerite neighbor in "The Long, Long Trailer"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2020 9:31 AM

Always been a fan of those no-nonsense, no-funny-stuff women. We need them now, badly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 30, 2020 2:40 PM

R18 is a twat. She doesn't bother to know anything about people's biographies, and shits on DLers pretending to defend both "ugly women" and lesbians, peevishly showing her bias.

It's a beautiful women who get the treatment here, from Ava and Lana bumping pussy to Dietrich's pursuits to Jolie's "true nature" and on and on.

Stuff it, bigot.

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2020 11:15 PM

[Quote] God, when I look at their pictures and know how brutal it was to be closeted, I get choked up.

If I had to choose the closeted life, I'd choose the Hollywood closet life - all those George Cukor parties.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2020 11:41 PM

Even Wiki states her husband was a friend and they rarely saw eachother. She pings to the moon and back and I'm a guy.

For me she's like Edward Everett Horton. I never think about them, but they always delight when they appear in a film.

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2020 1:55 AM

Marjorie Main was in three films with Judy Garland, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Harvey Girls and Summer Stock. She had lots of scenes with Judy in each of them. Marjorie was about Ethel Gumm's age, I wonder if they liked each other and got along well?

I imagine one of her last public appearances was for the opening of "That's Entertainment", as he is seen in a sensible blue dress and mink jacket in the famous group photo taken at the premiere. She's right in front of Marge Champion and Cyd Charisse in the middle row.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2020 2:22 AM

I wonder how she navigated the casting couch. Did she have to take Louis B. Mayer's sausage twixt her nether lips to score roles?

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Ma Kettle was one of my favorite characters although she was in numerous other movies playing a somewhat similar role although not as boisterous. Here she is helping some kids 'open' their birthday presents. She did have a way about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2020 10:47 AM

Here Ma is helping Pa get ready for the local weekend drag show - he does look quite fetching even before his hair and makeup are done!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2020 10:51 AM

Did she play any prison wardens?

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2020 11:43 AM

She should have been screen tested for Scarlett O’Hara.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2020 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!