Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will monocles ever be back in fashion?

I think they're snazzy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 9:22 PM

Gitchuwon, OP!

Be style setter, not a style follower.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2020 11:10 PM

You’ll need a monocle pocket in your waistcoat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2020 11:11 PM

You might like them but eye doctors and optometrists don't.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2020 11:17 PM

Glasses wearer here. Finding an antique pince-nez has been on my list of things to do, for some time. I would benefit from this moreso than a monocle. But I can absolutely appreciate a monocle or lorgnette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2020 11:21 PM

I heard Rex Harrison affected them off-screen as well as in this one movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2020 11:21 PM

He looks so dignified, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2020 11:22 PM

Sure thing, Col. Klink!

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2020 11:22 PM

Winona Ryder tried to bring them back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2020 11:22 PM

Mr. Peanut wore it best!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2020 11:24 PM

I can imagine Roger Stone trying to affect this look.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2020 11:27 PM

I think walking sticks should make a come back too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2020 11:32 PM

I wear two of them, and one is tinted a deep blue.

If people are rude enough to ask about my stylishness, I tell people that I have optica transientia in both eyes and congenital photophobia in one, so I have to block the light and frequently adjust both lenses, which wouldn't work with just one eye. I tell them it's a minor disability compared to many others.

If people persist in snide curiosity, I ask the if their red eye needs the tip of my walking stick up it.

The noun form is "comeback," R11. Please note I shall not "Oh, dear" you, because your heart is in the right place.

But sticks never have gone away in the right circles. I do, however, think that carrying both a walking stick and a crop at the same time is rather attention-seeking.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2020 11:36 PM

R3, why are The Professionals against them?

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2020 11:37 PM

I think walking sticks should make a comeback in my city.

I walk along the footpaths declaring 'Oom-go Jo-yo Jeh' to all those who absent-mindedly walk into my path.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2020 11:39 PM

Amelia, Contessa di Faraglione (nee Wyse) knew how to rock a monocle-and-necklace ensemble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2020 11:42 PM

R12, you sound dandy. Just dandy.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2020 11:46 PM

I thought they were only for lesbians anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2020 11:48 PM

Walking sticks are wonderful for quick-and-stealthy trip-ups between the feet of interlopers, passersby who are not wearing a mask, or offensive ruffians.

If the ruffians fail to desist, evening walking sticks also have sword features. As do fashionable umbrellas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2020 11:57 PM

R12, do you have a top hat?

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 12:02 AM

le monocle de mon oncle

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 12:18 AM

Monocle vs non-monocle.

No contest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 12:23 AM

R13 They seemed to be say that spectacles are an important and serious visual aid and not just a toy for young queens. They tell people to wear spectacles even if one of the two eyes has perfect vision.

It's exhausting for the brain to marry up the vision from one eye with the other. It's VERY difficult to judge distance with one eye.

Monocles require the wearer to squeeze the muscles in your face to support them and it becomes painful.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 12:23 AM

Conventional modern spectacle share the weight across different parts of your head.

Wearers of monocles and pince-nez develop ugly grooves in the flesh to support the weight of the glass and metal.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 12:27 AM

Lorgnette or GTFO!

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 12:27 AM

R20:

If sex were all, then every trembling hand

Could make us squeak, like dolls, the wished-for words.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 12:45 AM

I do leave my monocles at home when I am attending the opera or making an early, distanced survey of the wares at the meat market.

Of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 12:52 AM

Some lizards have a 3rd “eye” on the top of their heads that can sense light and dark and vague movement. I’d like one of those. There was a radiolab episode about a this woman who got a head injury and everyone thought she’d been blinded. But then her daughter bought her a rocking chair and it turned out she could see shapes, movement, light/dark while she was moving (rocking) but nothing while she was still.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 12:55 AM

Lorgnette = glasses on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Monocles, lorgnettes, walking sticks, and top hats must make their triumphant return!

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2020 5:41 PM

Monocoles will never come back as long as the fashionable are still using botox, which paralyzes the muscles necessary to hold the damn thing in place.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!