Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California debuts race classifications

For anyone wondering how California will run its race classification system if #Prop16 passes, here is a link to the race classification system at the Univ of California.

“A student’s primary race/ethnicity is determined by the left-most column selected”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2020 8:27 AM

This is wild. I didn't the classification system was as granular as this. Currently Prop 16 only has 40% of CA support. They don't think it will pass, but decided to run it now because so much focus has been on race related issues. That percentage could grow larger in terms of support as we get closer to the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2020 6:20 PM

What about people who are biracial? Do they just use other?

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2020 6:27 PM

R2 Or white-adjacent? Depending on how "ethnic" the hair looks?

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2020 6:36 PM

I refuse to be lumped in with the Germans!

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2020 6:39 PM

This is definitely a problem in California that the ignorants above don’t want to admit. Black people and Latinos especially have been blocked out of these institutions. While many wealthy white people are just skating through and cheating the system. That needs to be patched up as well.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2020 6:45 PM

R4 Too late, French bitch! But I'd rather stick with the Italians anyway than with smelly Frenchmen!

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2020 6:50 PM

R5, have you seen the actual numbers? Latino enrollment has been growing steadily.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2020 6:54 PM

What about those who identify as a race they don’t “resemble”? Will there be DNA confirmation?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2020 6:55 PM

So if I click "Hispanic", will anyone check on that if I look as hispanic as, say, Christina Aguilera?

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2020 7:02 PM

R7

They are greatly underrepresented still for their population size.

Whites and Asians are greatly overrepresented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Back in the 1990 census, you could answer the ethnicity question with anything you wanted, for example, Swedish, Lappish, Scandinavian, Nordic, Northern European... Whatever you listed was named and counted.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2020 12:26 AM

What about excessively tanned people like Kim Kardashian West?

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2020 12:30 AM

The term American Indian is still acceptable? Wow...

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2020 1:16 AM

None of this will matter much in a year. First Circuit is looking at the Harvard case. It's headed to the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2020 1:20 AM

I never thought I’d say this, but California has become more racist than the south. It just manifests itself differently.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2020 1:27 AM

It's interesting that the chart correctly has Middle Eastern and North African people as "white" (kudos for that), but they can't help themselves by putting in a line to create a false distinction between those people and what is considered by some to be white white.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2020 1:32 AM

Just put the chip in already and then they can scan us to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2020 1:40 AM

R10, I was responding to R5, who said:

[Quote] Black people and Latinos especially have been blocked out of these institutions.

The percentage of Latino students at UC schools has been increasing, suggesting that they aren't in fact "blocked out" of admission to them. That cannot necessarily be said for black students, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2020 1:43 AM

R12, I think her ethnicity is listed under "Leather".

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2020 1:46 AM

Why is Hispanic still a category? Why is it so hard for Americans (I'm American too btw) to get it through it through their thick heads it is not a racial classification? Why is mixed race not an option too? Many Hispanics would be better off mixed race instead and plenty are monoracial. Why should speaking Spanish make anyone special enough to be in a separate category?

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2020 1:54 AM

At least Latinx is not on there.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]The term American Indian is still acceptable? Wow...

American Indian is the preferred term for actual natives in the US after specific tribal affiliation. Native American was a government thing not decided upon by us.

[quote] All of these terms are acceptable. The consensus, however, is that whenever possible, Native people prefer to be called by their specific tribal name. In the United States, Native American has been widely used but is falling out of favor with some groups, and the terms American Indian or indigenous American are preferred by many Native people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2020 2:26 AM

R22 I'm sure the person complaining about the use of "American Indian" is one of the whitest white people in existence.

They always have to bitch about something.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote]Why is Hispanic still a category?

Politics, and the bizarre aversion of Mesoamerican Indians to be considered in the same category as "Native Americans". Indians in the U.S and Canada are proud of their heritage and even if their proportion of Indian ancestry is small, they refer to themselves as Indian. In Mexico, they don't feel that way.

If logic and science should ever prevail, "Hispanic" and "Latino" will go away and will be replaced with Black, White or Indian.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2020 3:01 AM

I’m a Negrita from The Bronx. Where do my kids fit in?

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2020 3:07 AM

r22 what's the view on "First Nations"? Are American Indians typically for or against its use?

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2020 3:09 AM

They're called "Indians" because Columbus mistakenly thought he landed in India. Last I heard, I thought we were canceling Columbus?

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2020 3:11 AM

The "Southwestern Asian" folks, have been asking for their own section for a while now. While we get painted over as "white" we don't feel it accurately represents the ethnicity we are. I think we should have been just lumped into the Asians like the Indians, and Pakistanis got. The North Africans should be just that. "North African Americans"

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Mummy and Daddy assured me and my sister that we are in an exclusive gifted classification.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2020 3:16 AM

Race-blind admissions at Cal Tech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2020 3:20 AM

Fantastic... The solution to racism is even stronger race thinking.

Will the classification system come with a helpful physiognomic chart to determine where edge cases fit in? Will Californians soon require an 'Ahnenpass' that determines the purity of their b̶l̶o̶o̶d̶ oppression?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote] In Mexico, they don't feel that way.

Untrue, the word Indian is the accepted term in Mexico. Mexico has peculiar ties to Southwestern Native American communities since they share tribes.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote] what's the view on "First Nations"?

I’ve always associated it with the Canadian tribes. It’s gaining more ground in the US but not by natives.

American tribes, our history, and especially our relationship to the American government is unique to us. Conflating our struggles and history with Central American mestizos and Canadian tribes muddies the waters too much IMO.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2020 3:35 AM

First nations is not an acceptable term in the US.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2020 3:37 AM

I am voting against the proposition.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2020 3:38 AM

The only people against this are triggered white people.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2020 3:47 AM

The only people for this are racists who think that ethnic minorities are monolithic groups, their marginalization and disadvantage inherent to their 'race,' and that it's good to make policy decisions on large, heterogenous population groups instead of looking at individual cases and taking tailor-made approaches to social or economic inequalities.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2020 3:55 AM

Congratulations with your race classifications, California. they are more detailed than ours were.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2020 3:55 AM

Students in San Diego will no longer lose grade points on work turned in late, because racism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2020 3:58 AM

[OP], stuff it, Boris

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2020 3:59 AM

In this day and age, black and Latino students are kept out of elite colleges because they don't qualify, not because they're "shut out". If they're shut out of anything, it's using their parents' connections to get in, but the number of white students who do that is extremely small compared to the overall student body, and surely the solution to that is to drum out any administrator who admit students because Dianne Feinstein's husband wrote a letter.

Black law school graduates overwhelmingly fail the California State Bar, which indicates that colleges are admitting a considerable number of underqualified black students, and those students aren't adequately keeping up with their peers.

If colleges continue to admit black and Latino students who struggle to so much as graduate (let alone excel), then employers will eventually learn to ignore UC Berkeley on a black or Latino applicant's resume.

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2020 4:02 AM

The Afrikaaners in South Afrika had a system For example, the following criteria were used for separating the coloured people from the white people:[2]

Characteristics of the person's head hair Characteristics of the person's other hair Skin colour Facial features Home language and especially the knowledge of Afrikaans Area where the person lives, the person's friends and acquaintances Employment Socioeconomic status Eating and drinking habits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2020 4:05 AM

Wait wtf is happening? Are we segregating again?

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2020 4:11 AM

Left fascism.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2020 4:14 AM

The Californian Asian communities led the charge overturning affirmative action. The interesting this is after an initial dip, the UCs and CSUs found some interesting work-arounds that didn't use race as a means to give disadvantaged kids a leg up--students graduating in the top percentiles of their high school class get a boost, so do kids who are in the first generation to go to college. Then some of the UCs work hard at retaing these (usually Latino) kids.

Yes, Black enrollment tanked, but the percentage of Blacks has also dropped in the state overall. The increase has been among Asians and Latinos. In that sense, the enrollment changes do reflect the state's demographics.

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2020 4:23 AM

that classification is bullshit. calling a maroccan white or somebody from the arabic peninsula white is simply an absurdity. this is why the american system is so fucked up. im from cuba, and I'm as european looking as they come.

in cuba people are identified in two ways, by skin color and race. by skin color or 'tez', we have black, white, mulato, trigueno.

usually, indio is for native americans and moros for arab looking people. indians from india would also be considered moros in cuba.

however, in cuba besides that skin color classification, there is also five racial classification, which consist of european, african, indian (natives american), moro(arab) and chino (asian). in cuba someone with light skin like jabaos or mestizos(biracials) can be "blancos" but not " blanco blanco" or "blanco de verdad", only european looking cubans are considered "blancos de verdad" (truly white).

in the united states there should exist the same classification, instead of white, they should just say european for people of southern and european phenotype. this is the problem in the united states, that it does not classify according to phenotype. which is basically what racist people base their descrimination on certain groups.

this is the readon why I cant say that i have experience racism in the more than 20 years that I have been living in the US. perhaps a little bit of xenophobia, who knows? but racism, nope, never.i have never been targeted by the way I look like.

this is a real story, when i graduated from high school I went to an university in saint paul. so i decided to apply for a scholarship that only latinos could apply. I think it was called HACU, or something like that. i had to go to an orientation because they also had internships and other benefits. when I came inside the classroom, every one looked at me like i wasnt supposed to be there, and i was asked are you hispanic? where are you from? of course, ALL the students in that classroom clearly looked mexican. i told them that i was from cuba, so i was also latino.needless to say, they were looking at me like i should be there or something.

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2020 4:38 AM

300 transracials literally died from this!!! There needs to be a section for those who feel more closely to a race they weren't born into. We need a safe space for Transracial people.

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2020 4:43 AM

[Quote] ALL the students in that classroom clearly looked mexican.

This bitch.

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2020 4:46 AM

'Hispanic' is not a race, it's an ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2020 5:20 AM

Why is Taiwanese separated out from Chinese? People from Taiwan are also Chinese, just like people from Hong Kong are Chinese. Should they also have a separate Hong Kongnese section?

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2020 5:25 AM

[quote] 'Hispanic' is not a race, it's an ethnicity.

Also, where do Brazilians fit in? They are neither Hispanic nor Latino.

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2020 5:31 AM

I am 1.6% neanderthal where's that fking check box dumbasses?

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2020 5:35 AM

[quote]For anyone wondering how California will run its race classification system if #Prop16 passes, here is a link to the race classification system at the Univ of California.

What, no category for 'trans woman of color'?

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]I am 1.6% neanderthal where's that fking check box dumbasses?

You in danger girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2020 5:38 AM

I identify as a tern. Is there a tern option?

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2020 5:59 AM

I will never accept that Middle Eastern and Northern African are "white".

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote] I will never accept that Middle Eastern and Northern African are "white".

You and Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2020 6:15 AM

R50, There are indigenuous Taiwanese who are Asian, but not Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2020 6:30 AM

I feel you, r55.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2020 6:25 PM

so black cubans are not black caribeans as well?? this is the reason why i only believe in european, asian, subsaharan, north/middle eastern, indian, pacific islander, native american classification regardless of where you are born and the language that you speak. it is intresting how a white guy that is born in china has to be considered white whereas a white born in peru is latino. even though most of the incan peruvians speak spanish as a second language.

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2020 6:49 PM

Israeli is considered Southwest Asian/North African? WTF? Caucasion includes Middle Eastern? Again WTF? Middle Easterners are generally darker than Hispanic/Latino so why are they considered Caucasion and Latinos are not? Why are Europeans and Mexicans considered the same race? This list makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2020 7:17 PM

If we're going to categorize people, might as well just refer to them by their country of origin, that is if they don't want to be identified as American first.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2020 7:22 PM

I identify as someone not in this list! Where’s my section! Not fair!

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote]Why is Taiwanese separated out from Chinese? People from Taiwan are also Chinese, just like people from Hong Kong are Chinese. Should they also have a separate Hong Kongnese section?

No, there are actually ethnic/indigenous Taiwanese:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 19, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote] Also, where do Brazilians fit in? They are neither Hispanic nor Latino.

Brazilians deserve a category all to themselves....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] Middle Easterners are generally darker than Hispanic/Latino so why are they considered Caucasion and Latinos are not?

Are there people who believe race is defined only by skin color? Caucasians have a wide range of skin color, from very light in the far north to quite dark in the most southern Caucasian regions, as you would expect from what we know about the relation of geography to skin lightness.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2020 8:16 PM

I think If you're middle eastern, you're white according to blacks and hispanics. However, according to Europeans, you're brown.

by Anonymousreply 67October 19, 2020 8:26 PM

[quote] I think If you're middle eastern, you're white according to blacks and hispanics. However, according to Europeans, you're brown.

Yes, brown Caucasians.

by Anonymousreply 68October 19, 2020 9:39 PM

The indigenous people of Japan are white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 19, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote] No, there are actually ethnic/indigenous Taiwanese

Yes, there are, just like indigenous Native Americans in the US and First Nations in Canada. But there are so few of them and hardly any have immigrated to the US, much less apply to the UC system that this checkbox is basically useless for its intended purpose. Anyone checking off that box would be ethnic Chinese from Taiwan, not indigenous. Young people in Taiwan like to call themselves Taiwanese for patriotic reasons while old people call themselves Chinese, even though we’re all Chinese. Just like how people in Hong Kong say they’re Hong Kongnese and not mainland Chinese, even though they’re all ethnically Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote]Just like how people in Hong Kong say they’re Hong Kongnese and not mainland Chinese, even though they’re all ethnically Chinese.

Even "ethnically Chinese" is really a catch-all phrase for Han, who make up 91% of China's population. However China has more than 50 ethnic groups in total

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote] However China has more than 50 ethnic groups in total

And each has to be listed in California's classification.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2020 12:44 PM

We’re all from Africa, really.

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2020 3:08 PM

hence the reason why people must be classified as per their phenotype. european for anyone with northern and southern look, not white. subsaharan for blacks, MENA for north african and middle eastern.

the latino label is clearly a political term invented in the US for votes. there is very little similarity between a porto rican and a bolivian, other than having a common language.

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2020 3:56 PM

Racists will see this classification as confirmation of white genocide.

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2020 4:06 PM

They will have to submit DNA samples.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2020 4:12 PM

The main problem I have with this is it doesn’t go nearly far enough for black students - who are fucked from birth in this system. That’s what white people really don’t see/don’t want to see and refuse to address. We don’t have equality or a color blind society like many are pretending.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2020 4:16 PM

What about similarity between a Porto Rican and a Puerto Rican r74?

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2020 4:26 PM

There are important distinctions among black people. In the NYC public school system, everyone knows that the black immigrant kids from West Indian/Caribbean or African nations are better students. Their parents expect them to do well and work hard. Generally speaking. They have much more in common with Asian kids.

by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2020 8:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!