Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Rita" - Danish Series on Netflix. Anyone Watching?

It started in 2012, but all the seasons are on Netflix now. I love it, mainly because of the guys who play Rita's hot sons, Jeppa (the gay one) and Ricco (the dumb one).

Most of the guys on the show, in fact, are cute and sexy, and Rita herself reminds me of a cross between a young Linda Hamilton and Fergie from The Black Eyed Peas.

Anybody else watching this show? It's funny, it's sad, and really well acted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 10:32 AM

What is it about? A comedy?

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2020 4:22 PM

Jeppe, the gay son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2020 4:24 PM

Ricco, the dumb one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2020 4:25 PM

Jeppe Is hot! He’s the only one of her children they bring back in the latest season and has a cute storyline.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2020 4:29 PM

OP here - accidentally hit the ENTER key before I was finished with the poll. Sorry.

R1 - it's a "dramedy." Rita is a school teacher with a messed up personal life, but she loves her students and loves her family. Her youngest son Jeppe is gay, her daughter Mollie is kind of aimless, and her older son Ricco has a girlfriend and is pregnant. The show is about her trying to manage her messed up personal life, as well as her teaching career.

Rita fucks most anything that walks; she's kind of a slut, which is one reason I like her.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2020 4:33 PM

R5 I should have said Ricco has a girlfriend who is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2020 4:34 PM

OP, thanks. Sounds like something fun to check out.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2020 4:36 PM

There's a very funny episode where she confiscates Jeppe's backpack and finds a bottle of pills. He tells her they're aspirin, so she tells Jeppe if he's telling the truth, then she can take one. And she does. He never tells her it's actually Ecstasy, so she ends up wandering the halls of her school high as a kite.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2020 4:53 PM

I actually kind of have a thing for Rasmus, the school principal Rita's fucking and who she treats really badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2020 4:55 PM

Glad some other people have discovered it! This may be my favorite show ever. Hooks you in exactly 1 minute.

The show had two short seasons, I think 16 episodes total. They're brilliant. Then Netflix came along, picked it up and it was such a hit worldwide that they financed Season 3. I suggest stopping at end of Season 2. There was also a spinoff with the younger teacher that is avail on Netflix but couldn't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2020 4:58 PM

I enjoyed the first season, when Rita was really slutting around. It was a provocative premise. In Season 2, they tried to get her into a more conventional monogamous relationship with Rasmus, which I could not really follow. The man's blondness is blinding. And those shorts! (Cringe).

Rita's daughter Molly seems to have disappeared in Season 2. Did she ever come back? I'm not sure.

I lived in Denmark for a lot of years, and can speak Danish, so I love being reunited with the language and some of the cultural quirks. In my recollection, no way would someone like Rita have 3 kids with the same guy (a yuppie-type professional "living in London"). Hell, no. She have 2 with Dennis the plumber and 1 with Brian the delivery driver, and would still be screwing around with both of them.

I think there was supposed to be a spinoff featuring Hjordis, Rita's mentee/student-teacher.

I like Mille Dinesen, the actress who plays Rita. She's a strong, appealing presence.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2020 5:05 PM

My husband and I watched the first three series a couple of years ago. It's not particularly sophisticated drama (it ain't no HBO), and gets progressively less so), but we enjoyed pretending we were sophisticates as it was subtitled Scandinavian drama. It's essentially a soap opera, but more fun and with hotter sex with handsome Danes.

We thought it had ended with the third season, and then I only recently noticed on Netflix that there's a new fifth season and the fact that there was a fourth season had completely passed me by. We've started on the fourth, we're about three episodes in... and so far it's a slog. And no sign of Jeppe and Ricco, either.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2020 6:41 PM

The actor who plays Jeppe (Nikolaj Groth) is apparently not gay IRL (I was surprised and a little sad to learn this--according to the Danish tabloids, he's got a girlfriend and just became a dad).

The Ricco character becomes a dad in Season 2, and it's too weird to imagine Rita as a grandmother, given that she was doing things like hooking up with her student's married father in the pub toilet and the backseat of his shitty car.

I think the writers just couldn't really balance the reality of Rita having a walking/talking grandchild with her being mega-sexual. It pulls the character in irreconcilable directions.

That said, the thing I like about that show, and that I miss about Denmark, is that people are a lot more frank about sexual realities.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2020 6:58 PM

R11 I actually think Rasmus' shorts are cute! And I love his blonde hair.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!